10 Years since EU4 was released - a Retrospective

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To this day I remember playing Iroquois before 1.18. or as Russia and going through horrible hard westernization
To this day, I remember westernizing Russia (and the Ottomans) in EU3 DW multiple times, which is why I stare at people who claim to miss EU3-style rebels like they've grown a third head.

In EU4, I westernized Manchu in... uh, 1.8, I think it was. Haven't really wanted to play a horde since.

Institutions – especially the thing that should always have been called "Printing Revolution" but they insisted on calling just "Printing Press" – need work, and quite a bit of it, but the EU team did well to get rid of the magic "Westernize" button in favour of an (at least somewhat) unpacked solution, just as the new Vicky team did well to get rid of the magic "Westernize" button in the V2->V3 transition.

• 3Like
Reactions:
To this day, I remember westernizing Russia (and the Ottomans) in EU3 DW multiple times, which is why I stare at people who claim to miss EU3-style rebels like they've grown a third head.

In EU4, I westernized Manchu in... uh, 1.8, I think it was. Haven't really wanted to play a horde since.

Institutions – especially the thing that should always have been called "Printing Revolution" but they insisted on calling just "Printing Press" – need work,
Why call it printing revolution when printing press is still the norm in general scholarship
and quite a bit of it, but the EU team did well to get rid of the magic "Westernize" button in favour of an (at least somewhat) unpacked solution, just as the new Vicky team did well to get rid of the magic "Westernize" button in the V2->V3 transition.
But it wasnt a magic button, you needed to research some but not all techs first

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why call it printing revolution when printing press is still the norm in general scholarship
Because its unlock date is 1550, not 1455 (and because the institution reflects social phenomena, not just mechanical technology).

• 1Like
Reactions: