10 Years since EU4 was released - a Retrospective

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Happy Birthday!

Enjoyed every moment since I stumbled across this game in 2014.

Thank you for everything, Johan. Europa Universalis IV is a great game but you should already have released Europa Universalis 5.

10 years is a long time.

I hope you release Europa Universalis 5 soon and please make it lagless. A game we can play till the end date.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Moving armies on a detailed map is about half the fun of a PDS game, and especially in a multiplayer game.
1692001159331.png

white-guy.gif

• 20Haha
  • 4Like
Reactions:
It was by complete chance that I saw a hype thread for EU4 on a certain imageboard only a day before its release, leading me to find out about it and buy it. Haven't regreted it at any point, while I do take breaks from the game, I still have more time played on it than on all the other steam games combined.

thank you so much for this game. I played so many times with my friends and family. Keep on with the good way since lion&domination. There is still much room for new stuff in EU4!

@Johan I'm actually curious, what is something you have always wanted to add into EU4 but couldn't, either because of game limitations or some other reasons?

Thats a tough question.

I've been doing these games for over 25 years now, and know whats possible or not, so I tend to discard ideas rather early if its not feasible from a technical standpoint.

A lot of the times you have to change, stop, or adapt something because it would be too costly to add in to the game. Its hard to remember exactly what, as if something is too expensive its usually tweaked and adapted into something feasible.

However, I did have a design for how to change development into pops, but it would be rather time consuming, as it would require rework of a lot of systems.

Since I started playing it in 2014, EU4 has become the game I love to hate the most. I may complain about every single dumb glitch or unbalanced feature I meet in the game, and yet

1692015662964.png

I feel like a Sonic fan.

Anyway here's to another decade of me malding over South America and infinite Ottoman armies!

when will you guys get back to adding/redrawing provinces?

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
  • 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Today it is 10 years ago since we released EU4, back on August 13th of 2013. I guess it's a sign that you are getting old that you can write posts like this.
What a wonderful summary of your, and the team's, great work on what remains an amazing game. From the first time I loaded up EU2, I knew this game was special. I am sure you don't remember, but you and Paradox generously helped me use EU2 as a teaching tool for my College. Well done in the continuous pursuit of excellence, now through EU4, and I am eager to see where you take the franchise next!

• 2Love
Reactions:
Interestingly, the reason I originally got into EU4 (and PDX games later) in 2013 was because you released a demo of EU4 before its release. Without it, it is possible I'd have never got into it.

Thats a tough question.

I've been doing these games for over 25 years now, and know whats possible or not, so I tend to discard ideas rather early if its not feasible from a technical standpoint.

A lot of the times you have to change, stop, or adapt something because it would be too costly to add in to the game. Its hard to remember exactly what, as if something is too expensive its usually tweaked and adapted into something feasible.

However, I did have a design for how to change development into pops, but it would be rather time consuming, as it would require rework of a lot of systems.

Huh...perhaps a new game sized mechanic one could say?