• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So I dump 5000 useless dip into westernization... no big deal.

Per Balor, it subtracts off your monarch points. See the second post. If you have, say, 11 monarch points it'll take ten of them an dleave you with just 1. If you're not making a surplus, you're going to get to and sit at 0 for a long, long time.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Maybe if I go into it with near max on each... but even there, if I'm slowly losing any because I don't have at least ten gained per month, it'll be a nasty situation where I can take effectively no action lest I run myself out of monarch points.

Thanks,
-Atma

With the new system if you do not westernize at tech 3-10 you might as well not westernize at all. You will pay more for westernization that save on tech after doing it. The only reason to do it now is to get better units, not better tech.

Reading it like that, I can see where theres cause for concern... given, its probably still going to be easier on admin then old westernization (where you could easily blow 2000+ admin) but its going to be much harsher on dip and mil now, and the actual admin savings are not much because your still going to be blowing ~1000-1500 admin on Westernization.

With the new system if you do not westernize at tech 3-10 you might as well not westernize at all. You will pay more for westernization that save on tech after doing it. The only reason to do it now is to get better units, not better tech.

This.

Other way around, it said the cost was "modified by tech group". So I assume Eastern will be cheaper than New World, by a lot.

Didn't see that.

FINALLY. But I still want the option to Eastern-ize as China to repel the Russian waves. I still want to be able to Muslim-ize to repel the Persians in India, etc.

Other way around, it said the cost was "modified by tech group". So I assume Eastern will be cheaper than New World, by a lot.
From the sounds of it, for the Eastern group it'll cost 6000 (5000*1.2) monarch points, thus taking 200 months minimum at 30/month.
For the New World group it'll cost 12500 (5000*2.5) monarch points, taking 417 months minimum. I know I'm never going to bother westernizing as a New World nation if I have to sit nearly 40 years just watching the grass grow.

If that's the case Meneth (and it's how I'd interpret the explanation too) I don't think I'll play anything but western & eastern until it's fixed - which is a shame since I bought the DLC already and was looking forward for the Native Americans.

Will the amount of points needed by moddable?

Because I'll probably fiddle around with the cost in defines.lua if it is. Especially if it takes 40 years to westernize from New World.

If that's the case Meneth (and it's how I'd interpret the explanation too) I don't think I'll play anything but western & eastern until it's fixed - which is a shame since I bought the DLC already and was looking forward for the Native Americans.

Yeah. Im going to have to agree with this too. Its bad enough that Europeans have godlike NIs compared to non-Europeans, now unless your Eastern, your screwed because the unit advantage between eastern/western and everyone else is insane.

Im guessing Paradox really wants to ensure that only western and eastern powers dominate.

Foul language removed - Seelmeister

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the westernization mechanic hardcoded?

Will the amount of points needed by moddable?

Because I'll probably fiddle around with the cost in defines.lua if it is. Especially if it takes 40 years to westernize from New World.

In 1.3, all I can find that's moddable is the number of tech levels that you have to be behind in order to do it. That's in defines.lua: WESTERNISATION_THRESHOLD = 8

So yes the mechanic is hardcoded, and so are nearly all the parameters.

Maybe that's changed in 1.4?

If not, I'd - as always - put in a strong request for it to be changed in future; the more moddability, the better for all concerned (including Devs!) At the very least a few more defines entries.

I wish I knew how much effort it was in their engine, taking a parameter out of the C++ code and into a defines entry. It feels like it should be a really simple task, like 5 minutes work to add an entry to defines.lua and add a call to some kind of Defines.GetValue() method instead of using a constant. But there's so many parameters that are not exposed, it really makes me wonder why.

Anyway here's hoping for future expansions to moddability :)

In 1.3, all I can find that's moddable is the number of tech levels that you have to be behind in order to do it. That's in defines.lua: WESTERNISATION_THRESHOLD = 8

So yes the mechanic is hardcoded, and so are nearly all the parameters.

Maybe that's changed in 1.4?

If not, I'd - as always - put in a strong request for it to be changed in future; the more moddability, the better for all concerned (including Devs!) At the very least a few more defines entries.

I wish I knew how much effort it was in their engine, taking a parameter out of the C++ code and into a defines entry. It feels like it should be a really simple task, like 5 minutes work to add an entry to defines.lua and add a call to some kind of Defines.GetValue() method instead of using a constant. But there's so many parameters that are not exposed, it really makes me wonder why.

Anyway here's hoping for future expansions to moddability :)
I get the impression that it's not necessarily hard to export values to defines, but rather that it's inefficient, since from what I'm told, it slows down the game a bit.

This sucks. Really really bad. Was this the great idea to make Westernization more interesting? "Let's forbid the player from doing anything for 15 to 50 years"?

I get the impression that it's not necessarily hard to export values to defines, but rather that it's inefficient, since from what I'm told, it slows down the game a bit.

I don't see why they would slow down noticeably. Unless the engine was wrote by monkeys, which I assume it wasn't...