• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
no.. each power gives you +1.... and you can only give +10 from adm or dip or mil each month.

and its drained, if you have less than +10, so you are basically going to 0 quickly in power

for your average monarch there, its 20 years..
Oh, great! Thanks for the clarification. Sounds much better.

This is not an MP-related change. This is a 'Screw you non-European' change.

The thing is, so long as you're culturally and religiously homogeneous, you're probably not going to even have much in the way of revolts and instead, just a constant MP drain that leaves you unable to actually do much of anything for 20-50 years. I mean, I guess you could feed vassals or something, but it sounds like I may as well start westernizing, hit speed 5, and play Pokemon for a while, stopping only to deal with events.

Do we still lose all points or can we start with ~3600 points as eastern?

It's modified by tech group. So by this reading, Eastern will "only" cost 6000 points, unlike 8000 points for Chinese, or 12500/17500 for New World (depending on how their tech penalty is coded).

This is not an MP-related change. This is a 'Screw you non-European' change.

Pretty much.

Yes agreed. Given the effects that westernization has on you and your neighbours it should be harder then it currently is.

Except this does not so much as raise the difficulty as it makes it even more difficult to catch up to western european countries once you finish.

The thing is, so long as you're culturally and religiously homogeneous, you're probably not going to even have much in the way of revolts and instead, just a constant MP drain that leaves you unable to actually do much of anything for 20-50 years. I mean, I guess you could feed vassals or something, but it sounds like I may as well start westernizing, hit speed 5, and play Pokemon for a while, stopping only to deal with events.
Hm nothing really changes in that regard imo. While westernizing now,what did you do with diplo and mill points that made the process not boring?

So, let me get this straight, people seriously complain that they can change the structure and tradition of their society in merely decades?

Face it, Europe starts with a huge head start, at least over Native - Americans and Africans, that head start slowly built up for centuries. And you can med that head start for less than it takes to move from Men at Arms(tech level 5) to Lansknechts(lvl 10), 600*5*3= 9k points.

Hm nothing really changes in that regard imo. While westernizing now,what did you do with diplo and mill points that made the process not boring?

Techs and buidlings.

Face it, Europe starts with a huge head start, at least over Native - Americans and Africans, that head start slowly built up for centuries. And you can med that head start for less than it takes to move from Men at Arms(tech level 5) to Lansknechts.

Um. China and the Muslim countries were actually ahead of Western Europe at the start of the game.

Except this does not so much as raise the difficulty as it makes it even more difficult to catch up to western european countries once you finish.

Well since lategame techs now increase in cost im not sure about that. Youll lose the penalty, get the neighbour reduction while the other nations start to tech slower.

Techs and buidlings.
Fair enough. Not really what I consider exciting though. ;)

Well since lategame techs now increase in cost im not sure about that. Youll lose the penalty, get the neighbour reduction while the other nations start to tech slower.

Neighbor reduction caps out at -25%... you still have to pay 75%.

I think this change has promise at least for the multiplayer aspect, it will take longer to westernize in most cases, especially if you refuse to give up miltech and +5RR could very well keep your manpower down.

Um. China and the Muslim countries were actually ahead of Western Europe at the start of the game.
They more or less on par at the time of game start, and China&Japan suffered huge stagnation during EU4 because of their social structure and aristocracy.

Europe was developing at faster pace since high middle ages, as it managed to catch up(middle ages) and surpass east(EU4). Hence I said "ahead" in terms of social structure.

Last edited:
The total cost does seem high but the system itself doesn't sound inherently flawed.

The thing that has me worried is what is stopping the AI from just instantly starting to westernize as soon as they can? It seems much more difficult to stop someone from westernizing this way, and even if you succeed what stops them from instantly retrying it?