• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MORE CONTROL OVER YOUR FAMILY!

Now my heir has left my court and was appointed as "heir" to a bishopric by his new liege (who is also a vassal of mine) and I can't do anything about it.

The only way to prevent this is by granting him one of my demesne, but that will most definitely lead to him picking up one bad trait after another. I saw very good heirs ruined in only a few year as soon as they get their own court. So now I can choose between letting him go, so his younger brother becomes the new king or letting him be ruined by giving him his own title, just great. Well, or I could change from free investiture to papal investiture, but that isn't a good alternative either.

Implement the idea of Rising of Nations, allowing 4 held independant duchies to declare a new kingdom under the primary title - if not existant de jure - and 3-4 kingdoms forming an empire. That would make the new assimilation feature perfect as kingdoms and empires rise and die. For that matter the assimilation should then be change to 50 years, instilling more progress.

And a "no reason" conquest CB giving a huge debuff on foreing relations, but allows players to be a conquering asshole. It can work like a holy war with hostile kings of you joining the defender.

Last edited:
A map creator/editing DLC thingy.

How? It's easy with GIMP. I can not see how a map editor should work.

And in the new patch there is a positions editor. This is like a map editor for me. This is the only nerving part of all.

My biggest wishes for the patch are pretty simple. I'm kind of getting tired of all of the nitpicky changes. For example, I'm tired of having to re-start my game every patch because nobody can seem to figure out what to do with Wales/Cornwall/Brittany. Can we all just agree that it's not going to have a satisfactory conclusion until there is an extra tier of titles kind of like "petty king" that is below the current king tier and can be vassalized by kings. Then all of these issues can be solved by putting them in multiple realms. I think I'm not going to enjoy having to re-mod my revolt risk modifiers because Paradox is going to probably going to add more modifiers increasing risks to people who prefer to sandbox. I'm probably not going to enjoy figuring out all of the new ways that they're nerfing my game (really, taking out the invite courtier, give him land, then press claim option to expand is a pretty clear move in my opinion).

To be honest, I still have the same concerns about the game that I had at release. I think the religions in the game are woefully under-utilized. As it stands, the Pope is only interesting because he'll spam excommunications and occasionally will confront you about free investiture, but it's pretty easy to make him go away. Sometimes he calls a crusade, but nowadays I just eat the church opinion bonus and don't participate because unless you get there first and blitzkrieg you won't expand enough to make the risks that having holdings in the Holy Lands entails. Every now and then I used to use him to get an invasion claim, but now that kingdom titles are much harder to get claims on, I doubt I'll be using that much in the future. I like that they fixed the anti-pope mechanic because it was always annoying having a neighbor who was willing to be the jerk and destroy the moral authority of the church for that cash money and having nothing to do about it. But now it's just a part of the game that I accidentally created an antipope the other day because I have to see the tooltip these days to even remember what the antipope button does.

As boring as the Catholic church is, at least it isn't the Orthodox church. The Eastern church has nothing. That's part of the reason I've never really played as the Russians.

I mean, the game is about the Crusades. You'd think there'd be some reason to care about the head of your religion. Heresy is an annoying problem, but it's helped me as many times as it's hurt me so that's a wash.

I also wish dynasties would matter at all. As it stands in the game, it seems they really only matter in three areas. You get additional prestige and 'score' for giving your dynasty land and spreading your family's influence but I've never really had issues with not having enough prestige and the 'score' doesn't particularly matter to me. You get permanent allies as long as they're not your vassals, but you can only call an alliance once every five years and my AI family is pretty awful at keeping their thrones. You can also vassalize family members much more easily than other people. That's about it. These minor advantages to giving family seem to be clearly outweighed by the massive disadvantages.

The way the game represents dynasties is remarkably simplistic. In practice in most games, the only ways I've seen dynasties really work internally are that everyone inside that dynasty will plot to kill the children of everybody else at the expense of everything else. I can see the AI now, "Hmmm, my first born son is third in line for a county somewhere that I could easily grab by force of arms for a small amount of resources? Better waste all of my money spamming assasinations and plotting to kill them!" That and if you put your dynasty in important positions it makes switching your succession laws very tricky. I don't understand why my father's youngest brother's fourth son is angry that I'm switching from primogeniture to elective. Elective only places them closer to the throne. Your dynasty doesn't effect how people think of you. If the three rulers of your dynasty have been tyrants, the next one gets no reputation from his family name. And if you give a dynasty an important place in your realm (a kingdom under an emperor for example) none of the other dynasty members will care. Heck, if you give land to somebody's children it doesn't change how they feel about you at all.

Another complaint I have that's been the same since launch is that the republics could be better utilized in the game. They feel pretty boring as is. Doges and lord mayors never attempt to make their republics dynastic. I have only been able to get mayor type characters to accept marriage proposals as their liege. And even then only with my own daughters. I turned London into the most inbred place on earth with this tactic. It's strange to click on a woman courtier's available husbands and see the holy roman emperor but see absolutely no lord mayors that would accept her hand in marriage. Pretty choosy dudes.

One more minor wish, I wish there was a "send to convent option" for women courtiers. My court gets clogged up with old women or celibate woman and there's really no way go get rid of those ladies so they'll trigger the too big of a court modifier. I wish I could just have her go to a random bishop's court or something.

Remembered another one, kinda bad.

Bishops should lose claims upon becoming bishops. This should prevent them being installed as Bishop-King of Somewhereia. Which is kinda annoying. Same applies to everything else. It's way, way too easy to mess things up with bishop claimants.

from a modders perspective i would like to see holding_modifiers, yes we have province_modifiers but holding_modifiers would allow more 'individualisation' of certain holdings and allow for certain places to be obviously of more value and importance over others.

and also the ability to create new holding types! - this would open up a cornucopia of possibilities!

Regarding this issue: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?604255-Claim-War-Result-in-Independence

I will repeat my post from above mentioned thread:

By far the biggest problem with this change is that the claimant takes whatever land he has in your realm with him.

This is how it should work IMO:
You have a vassal. Lets call him count of A
You press his claim for county B which is not part of your de jure empire/kingdom/duchy
Upon success the claimant must make a choice:
1) Keep county A and B, in which case he will be you vassal
2) Transfer county A to you, who pressed his claim, and become independent as a count of B, outside your realm

If A is larger/more prestigious than B and he has no desire to become independent and/or if he has a trait like "content" or has a high opinion of you, he should go with option 1)
If B is larger/more prestigious than A, or he hates you and/or are ambitious, he should pick option 2)

Interesting idea for the future, if it's at all possible: "dynamic" save games, by which I mean being able to take a save game on the menu and actually go back in time like a vanilla start, only within that save game's Europe.

Would probably be very difficult to actually implement if not outright impossible, but it's an idea that intrigued me.

I think you can do this already. In your save game, you can choose to play as anyone else, e.g You can now choose to be your vassal or your liege. And play the game as them.

I think you can do this already. In your save game, you can choose to play as anyone else, e.g You can now choose to be your vassal or your liege. And play the game as them.

He meant saving all events that happended in your game world at everytime, to go back in time and replay it. That would be stupid as this chronology would take ages to save - a lot of data - and would be insanely huge.

Remembered another one, kinda bad.

Bishops should lose claims upon becoming bishops. This should prevent them being installed as Bishop-King of Somewhereia. Which is kinda annoying. Same applies to everything else. It's way, way too easy to mess things up with bishop claimants.

Reginald Pole was a Cardinal and he was still somewhat acknowledged as having had a claim to the English throne. At one point, despite being a Cardinal, he was considered a possible husband for Queen Mary, IIRC. When emergencies regarding bloodlines occur, clergymen can be laicized. Church doctrines haven't been as historically set in stone as the Church may have you believe.

Reginald Pole was a Cardinal and he was still somewhat acknowledged as having had a claim to the English throne. At one point, despite being a Cardinal, he was considered a possible husband for Queen Mary, IIRC. When emergencies regarding bloodlines occur, clergymen can be laicized. Church doctrines haven't been as historically set in stone as the Church may have you believe.

Sure, plenty of historical examples of people being taken out of monastaries to fill the shoes of a dead older brother as well. My problem is more with the mechanics. If you take a Prince of France and make him a Bishop, then press his claim, he's not the King of France, but the King-Bishop. That, and the horribly easy exploit, is what I want gone.

Sure, plenty of historical examples of people being taken out of monastaries to fill the shoes of a dead older brother as well. My problem is more with the mechanics. If you take a Prince of France and make him a Bishop, then press his claim, he's not the King of France, but the King-Bishop. That, and the horribly easy exploit, is what I want gone.
Agreed. Obviously if a bishop became king of a major kingdom like England or France he would have been replaced in his bishopric.

I want spymasters on 'Uncover Plots' to be able to actually resolve a portion of the plots on their own without mindless clicking on my part.

I'd like more options in the Character Search tab, namely being able to filter by MY dynasty (as an extra option for the Great Family? thing), and I'd like more stringent search criterias for culture (Yes should be broken down into 'My culture' and 'My cultural group', then No and Any).

When using "play (charid)" in the console, I'd like an error message like what was introduced in Divine Wind if entering an ID that would lead to a game over instead of just going game over.

As for the next DLC, I want playable Bishops and Mayors complete with substantial differences in their gameplay types and events to reflect just how different their lives are from that of a landed lord.

The title claimants interface has a handy little thumbs up icon for characters who'd accept an invitation to court - I'd love to see this extended to the characters tab as a whole - and really love an alternative icon (little stack of coins maybe) for those who'd accept after a gift.

The title claimants interface has a handy little thumbs up icon for characters who'd accept an invitation to court - I'd love to see this extended to the characters tab as a whole - and really love an alternative icon (little stack of coins maybe) for those who'd accept after a gift.

Oh yeah thats a great idea. :)