• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GreenMarine

Major
83 Badges
Feb 24, 2004
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
texasflag.gif
Glory, Glory, Texas!​

A Revolutionary AAR​

Overview

The purpose of this AAR is to explore an alternate history in which an extremely jingoist Texas brings the fight to Mexico. The Lone Star Republic stands without allies, sandwiched between two powerful countries. Will Santa Anna bring his armies to Austin? Will the United States force a Yankee yoke on the fledging Republic?

These questions will be answered as newly elected President Burnet prepares his country for a historic Declaration of Independence. The year is 1836 and the world is entering a great new era. The people of Texas ready to meet their destiny...

Setup

This game will be played with Victoria 1.03b and the VIP .02b expansion. I'm pretty sure I started the game on normal setting, but at this point I don't remember. I generally do not play on hard.

Here is an image of Texas in her infancy (reduced, but should still be visible):

aar1.jpg

I will be posting parts to this AAR as I get time. I should be able to play through a good part of it today.

Yee haw!

Last edited:
Part 1: An Uneasy Peace

Part 1: An Uneasy Peace​

Texas is at war with Mexico. The Mexican dictator, Santa Anna, has marshalled troops to bring the rebellious northern provinces under control. The people of Texas, who dream of building a great republic, are determined to win their independence through toil and blood. At the front of the brave Texan armies stands General Sam Houston. He's a strong willed warrior and believes deeply in the destiny of his nation.

aar1c.jpg

General Sam Houston​

January 2, 1836 - At the directon of President Burnet, the Republic of Texas issues Letters of Marque to a number of aligned naval and merchant captains. The captains are ordered to seek out targets of opportunity within the Caribbean Sea. The Texan economy has not faired well and the President and his advisors believe that limited and subtle piracy will help cover the costs of war.

January 30, 1836 - Word of a new Mexican offensive reaches Austin. The Texas General Council partially exercises the "Naval Defense Act" implemented the previous year. "Our battle will be fought over the Rio Grande. The need for guns and trained men is urgent." says President Burnet, arguing that the country cannot afford to purchase or build warships. An order is placed for a single clipper transport division.

March 2, 1836 - Several weeks have passed and Santa Anna's army has moved through San Fernando into San Antonio! The Alamo Fort is under siege and the republic holds its collective breath. Penned in urgency, the Texas Declaration of Independence is adopted! A new nation is born! "We will fight for our freedom and if we die, we will die with heads held high!" shouts President Burnet as he waves the signed document and runs through the halls of the capitol building in Austin.

March 29, 1836 - The long siege in San Antonio draws to a close. In a massive defeat for independent Texas, the Alamo falls and her brave defenders are executed by the ruthless Santa Anna. A cry of "Remember the Alamo!" is heard ringing through the halls in Austin. The world watches as the dreams of a young country are crushed.

Never willing to give up, the republic withdraws its ragged forces and plans a new offensive.

April 21, 1836 - In 20 decisive minutes fate has turned in Texas' favor: the battle of San Jacinto has ended in a great victory! The Mexican army has been defeated and the nefarious Santa Anna captured. "Hang him!" cry the gathered crowds. The General Council convenes to discuss Santa Anna's fate.

santana2.jpg

El Presidente: Santa Anna​

April 22, 1836 - The General Council holds a vote on the fate of Santa Anna. Surprisingly, and to some discord, the council votes to release him and send him to Washington to reassure the world that Mexico will leave Texas alone. "We are better than our enemy," spoke President Burnet at the assembly, "By the Lord God we will show this man the mercy that he did not show our fallen brothers in San Antonio!"

April 23, 1836 - The Treaty of San Jacinto, drawn up after that fateful battle, is rejected by the Mexican delegation! They withdraw their forces, but refuse to sign the treaty. In response, the Texan government issues a statement that they will continue to persue full reparations and the return of their rightful domain. An uneasey ceasefire settles over the Rio Grande.

aar1b.jpg

Texas plots the recovery of her land by jingo.​

What will the next step be for this fledgling Republic? The Mexican threat has not been stopped, only delayed. Will President Burnet discover a plan to secure the future of Texas?

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
I BET I KNOW WHAT IT IS!

I'll be interested to see how this turns out. :D

Part 2: The Haitian Gambit

Part 2: The Haitian Gambit​

May 1, 1836 - Sensing that Mexico's plans for Texas are only temporarily halted, President Burnet convinces the General Council to introduce the "Military Recruitment Act." The act details plans for the immediate expansion of the military.

May 20, 1836 - Parker's Fort is raided by Comanche indians! Violent indian activity continues to plague the hill country.

June 3, 1836 - The "Military Recruitment Act" is in full swing, but resources are limited. Inspired by the American debate on manifest destiny and convinced that the inclusion of foreign troops is the only solution to the Mexican Question, President Burnet invokes the "Haitian Gambit."

The Haitian Gambit

With only a handful of active troops, Texas holds little chance of stopping Mexico if they choose to renew their war. In a direct speech to the General Council, President Burnet unveils his insightful solution. "The key ta victory," intoned the President, "is Haiti." The council chamber was stunned. "Yer as full a' wind as a corn-eatin' horse" shouted one angry delegate. "Listen 'im out, ya'll!" shouted one. "What in God's name?" shouted another. "I'm fixin' ta tell ya," responded the President.

After the ruckus died down, the Presdient continued. "Fah yea-has Haiti has suffahed. Ovah-population, famine, poe-litical strife. All problems that Texas can solve! We give 'em victuals. We give 'em gubment. In return, we train 'em ta shoot an' stab an' yell like injuns!"

It took time, but the council was eventually convinced that a Haitian option was the best solution. General Sam Houston was selected to lead 15,000 soldiers to Haiti and negotiate a treaty.

aar2.jpg

Negotiations with Haiti Collapse

June 18, 1836 - War! The Haitian government refuses to sign any treaty or comply with a request for support. Never a man to waste time, General Houston orders his troops to occupy Santa Domingo port. Travis' Command, under the command of Houston, quickly secures the territory.

January 25, 1837 - The Texan economy has clearly evolved. Austin opens the doors of the Texas Cattle Exchange!

aar3.jpg

Haiti Reconsiders Her Position

February 11, 1837 - In a sudden reversal of policy, Haiti agrees to join the Texas Republic!

February 13, 1837 - Moving quickly to reassure the council of the wisdom of the Haitian plan, President Burnet has a quick census taken. The results are stunning: Haiti, deep in poverty, has over 75,000 unemployed workers in one province alone! The council moves swiftly to enact a military training program at Fort Pedernales.

(The AI had 75,000 unassigned workers in one province.)

aar5.jpg

Haiti's population just after annexation. (Notice the unemployed workers are all liberals!)

March 6, 1837 - Impressed by the resolve and rapid action of Texas, America recogonizes her sovereignty. A celebratory pork and beef BBQ is held in Washington-on-the-Brazos.

That evening the elite leadership of the Republic meets to discuss how to rapidly train and deploy some 130,000 Haitian troops. Satisfied that the defensive needs of the country can be met, they retire to the porch to sip neat whiskey and swap cattle ropin' stories.

aar4.jpg

Texas Circa 1837

I hope you're enjoying this tale. The upstart plan of President Burnet has secured a fresh source of troops for the Texan cause. With these soldiers, the Republic may just stand a chance of maintaining her independence.

Keep watching for the next chapter of "Glory, Glory, Texas!"

Last edited:
GreenMarine said:
(...)
"The key ta victory," intoned the President, "is Haiti." The council chamber was stunned. "Yer as full a' wind as a corn-eatin' horse" shouted one angry delegate.
(...)

:rofl:

This is a really good AAR - I'll be reading it all! :)

Impressive start, it is good to see a Texas AAR. I have played Texas twice but both times ive been swallowed up by the 'Mean Green Mexican Machine'!

Good job, Green Marine!

I'm glad you decided to make the AAR. I'm very impressed with what you've accomplished so far. Texas may be small, but it's got spirit!!

Good luck, and kick Santa Anna all the way back to Mexico City. I'll be along for the ride.

A VIP AAR! This will be great!

Haiti's population just after annexation. (Notice the unemployed workers are all liberals!)

Amazing :D

What a coincidence...

CvM

Awesome start. I'll be keeping an eye on this...you better not quit me ;)

Quite an inspired plan with Haiti. With more troops, Houston will be unstoppable. As it is, he easily beats numbers even three and four times his strength! So far, so good, and I loved the aside to the B-B-Q at Wasington on the Brazos. Very nice. :D

Henry v. Keiper said:
Awesome start. I'll be keeping an eye on this...you better not quit me ;)
I definitely won't quit. I'm keeping a lot of savegames in case one gets messed up.

The next chapter will be up sometime tonight, central time.

Part 3: Trouble in the Hill Country

Part 3: Trouble in the Hill Country​

This was actually a fairly quiet year, as I focused on building up some of the financial support I would need to deal with Mexico. Nonetheless, many of the new Texas VIP events fired, creating some domestic turmoil in the beleaguered Republic.

aarmutiny.jpg

Mutiny in Austin

May 17, 1837 – Trouble stirs in the hill country. Unsatisfied that a year has passed since San Jacinto without any government action against Mexico, an armed group of Army officers, soldiers, and civilians march on Austin led by a young visionary named Mirabeau B. Lamar.

A spontaneous rally forms on the steps of the capitol building as the group approaches. Angry with the slow pace of the Haitian Gambit, Lamar demands the resignation of President Burnet. In a roar the crowd echoes his cry, “Glory, Glory, Texas!”

Unable to reach a place from which to speak, the President is powerless to answer the crowd. The armed soldiers remain circling the capitol.

May 18, 1837 – An emergency session of the Texas congress is called to discuss a response to the near coup. It quickly becomes clear that the majority of legislators agree with Lamar’s view and no action is taken to censure the men involved in the incident.

Mirabeau B. Lamar announces the formation of the Ranger Party to “take back Texas.” General Houston announces his intention to join the new party.

Shouting the slogan “Glory, Glory, Texas” Lamar’s soldiers occupy and barricade the capitol building.

lamar.jpg

Mirabeau B. Lamar

May 19, 1837 – Unable to find a solution to the Ranger Party occupation, President Burnet announces his resignation. Congress immediately passes a special proposition inaugurating Lamar as the new President of Texas.

aar6.jpg

The Ranger Party's Government

That night, President Lamar opens and reads the secret files on the Haitian Gambit. Plans are formed and schemes devised.

August 9, 1837 - President Lamar gives an empowered speech on the need for national solidarity in a time of crisis. The Economic Recovery Program is passed. All Texans are taxed 100% of their income "for the greater glory of Texas."

October 9, 1837 - Diplomat James Pinckney Henderson is sent to Europe to seek expanded recognition of the Republic. There are rumors that the Frenchmen are interested in speaking to him.

Time passes. President Lamar focuses on funneling the income from the Economic Recovery Program to the Haitian training compound at Fort Pedernales. A large number of Indian battles break out across the Republic; far too many to detail here. Several minor Comanchee rebellions are put down.

Febuary 15, 1838 - The Republic introduces its own form of currency: The Texas Dollar.

October 16, 1838 – In a well received address to congress, President Lamar reports that the preparations at Fort Pedernales are nearly complete. In response, the Destiny Council is formed to discuss and implement war plans.

Things are starting to heat up in Texas! Jingo fever is spreading fast as Texans eye the west. Will the Destiny Council mean the start of a new war? Will the Haitian troops be enough to protect the Republic from Mexico?

Find out in the next installment of Glory, Glory, Texas!

The above installment is just a bridge to the next one. 1838 was quiet for Texas and 1839 was the storm. Er, well...it may take 2 updates to get to the storm. :p

Last edited: