• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

stnylan

Compulsive CommentatAAR
128 Badges
Aug 1, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
This is meant to be just a simple AAR of my current game as the Papal States, played 1.03 normal/normal no mods. Expect no plot ;)

Why the Papal States. Well, coz1’s Holy Trinity made me realise this could be an interesting country, so after a trial game with the USA for get some idea of 1.03, I loaded up and went away. There will also be no screenies I’m afraid. I’m just incredibly bad at taking them. As for hosting, that is an unknown world.

Well, let’s have a wee look around. The starting situation of the Papal States:

Prestige 3 (14th) Industrial 29 (23rd) Military 2 (40th) Overall: 25

4 States
Latium (Roma, Viterbo) 1 Inf-A (5000men) in Roma
Toscana (Grosseto)
Umbria (Perugia, Ancona,) Wine Factory
Romagna (Ferrara, Bologna, Rimini) Glass Factory

We have some clerks and craftsmen in both Latium and Toscana, but they are effectively useless since I won’t be getting Machine parts any time soon. I hope that some will migrate to Umbria since I only have 4 POPs to work in the Winery. The Glass factory is fully staffed.

A quick look at politics shows that I Rule be Decree, and that the reactionary party is in power. Well, if that can be said to be in power precisely. Let’s just say this the successors of Peter hold the same reactionary opinions. I have no social reforms, but do allow political parties, but since I don’t allow anyone to vote that one has me scratching by head slightly. Public meetings are allowed (I assume so that church services don’t get disrupted) but unions are not. There is a State press – I’ve got a feeling its called the Sunday Pastoral. I have a Traditional Academic set-up.

Time to set up the trading situation. I go to buy 10 in Furniture, Paper, Tobacco, and Regular clothes, and 5 in Luxury Furniture and Precious Metals. I fortuitously start with 20 luxury clothes, and I intend to sell 15 of them off to get me a little cash after the initial slide into debt has been halted. Otherwise I just go down the list, clicking to buy or sell as I think necessary. I don’t sell of any other stockpiles though.

For my tax rates I set poor at 75% and the other two at 49.22%, since I’ve heard that 50% and above makes them disappear. I max out Education and keep crime at about halfway. It will need some fine tuning once the initial free-fall stops. Finally I start to research Associationism. Unpause.

Naturally the bottom falls out of my treasury, but in the event I only get about £4000 in debt before things stabilise. Now I sell off my 15 luxury clothes, and this nets me about £2000. I turn the Defence slider down a bit, and soon I’m running a £3-4 profit. Time to slowly crawl my way out of debt.

Almost immediately Two Sicilies and Sardinia-Piedmont start improving relations. I just sit back and let that happen. The usual bits and bobs happen in Belgium and so on, and it looks like I’ve survived the first year.

1837-1842

This is mostly just slowly ticking along.

1837 opens with more messages of love from S-P and 2Sicilies. Tuscany and Modena follow suit. In May I get Associationism, I start to research Stock Exchange. Russia annexes Khiva and France removes Al-Djazir from the map. Queen Victoria inherits the throne, my screen is lost under the Hannover joining the various alliance pop-ups. As if to celebrate the UK annexes Punjab. I finally get out of debt as well.

1838 kicks off with the 2nd Oriental Crises right on schedule. El Salvador becomes the first nation to declare independence from the USCA, and the USA and UK conclude a diplomatic deal, though I’m too lazy to see what it is. S-P and 2Siciles send me nice things for the summer, and Texas joins the Union. As a side note it was only the second time I saw a white peace between Texas and Mexico in their starting war. In September I discover Stock Exchange, and start on Practical Steam Engine.

1839 The 2nd Oriental Crises ends in the white peace between Egypt and the OE. In March Defensive Structures random event happens, and a Lvl 1 fortress appears in Ferrara. I’m not complaining. Then what I call the 3rd Oriental crises happens. Russia declares war on the OE, and all hell breaks lose. Eventually the following war is being fought: Russia, Greece, and Denmark versus OE, UK, France, Austria, Serbia, Wallachia, and Moldavia. Nicaragua declares independence, and tensions rise between the UK and China, turning to war in July. In December Russia annexes Moldavia and my scientists discover Practical Steam Engine. I set them onto Positivism.

1840 Guatemala declares independence from the USCA. 2Siciles really want to be my friend, and in reply I make my first diplomatic deal. Stock Exchange in return for about £3000. Meanwhile I move my army from Roma to Ferrara, and create a general called Salerno. He’s a chicken-hearted ex-ranker, but he could be worse. I’ve noticed that, though Italy has lots of Defence Pacts, it is not a case of everyone has a pact with everyone else. In particular I’ve noted Modena doesn’t have a pact with anyone apart from Parma. I begin to scheme. Nothing much happens for the second half of the year.

1841: The UK makes a white peace with China, and concludes another deal with the USA. Again I’m too lazy to check, and more interested in what is happening in Europe. Greece made a bad move, and soon is forced to cede Naxos, Mesolongion and Lamia to the OE for peace. Russia is getting over-run by Austrians, and the Brits have landed in Crimea. I discover Positivism and start on Experimental Rail-road. I trade Practical Steam Engine to 2Siciles for about £4000, and convert a 35k Farmer POP in Grossena into soldiers, and recruit 3 Inf divisions, and improve my starting Inf-A upto full strength. I have to tweak the sliders to make the budge balance. Down a little in crime and education, getting perhaps £0.5 a day. France decides to punish Annam, Cambodia joins in against the Europeans. Bad move I feel. In August the OE makes a white peace with Russia, and that war ends entirely. In September I get my first Corruption in Ancona, but I’m not really concerned. In October Greece makes another alliance with russia, and the USA and UK conclude another deal. In November Honudruas lurches free of the USCA, and in December my three new divisions are ready.

1842-8

The War with Modena and Parma.
OK, there was nothing grand about this war. I plonked the new divisions with by Inf-A, and waiting for them to build up morale. Incidentally I got Clausewitzian at the beginning. I declare war on the 13th. AS hoped for Parma honours its alliance with Modena. Both have armies of 1 division. I March from Ferrara to Modena, and fight the Modenan army. The Parmese army joins in before the end. Both are destoyed. I make quick work of reducing all three provinces of both nations, and then annex them both at the end of August and beginning of September.

1842 While I was doing that Costa Rica declared independence from USCA, and I decided it was now wise to start sending gifts Austria’s way. I’ve seen others buy Italian land from Austria to good effect, and I hope to do the same myself at some future point.

My new conquests bring a new state into my Empire, Parma-Modena. They have a Canned Food factory that I load up. They have extra craftsmen/clerks, and touch wood some will still be around for when I get my first new factories built. Canned Food isn’t very profitable, but money is money. I lower army maintaince down to about three-quarters, and defence to about half, and shave more off crime and education. My expenses have gone up with the added territory it seems.

The UK declares war on Burma. And in November I discover Experimental Railway. I begin researching Medicine, but only because Mechanial Production isn’t an option, and I figure by removing alternatives I’ll get it quicker. Thanks to my deals I have enough money to build 4 railroads, so Roma, Parma, Modena, and Bologna get upgraded.

1843: Opens with Cambodia cededing Penonbang to France. I make a trio of deals, one with each of S-P, 2Sicilies, and Tuscany, mostly to get some cash for my plans when I get Mechanical Production. I re-adjust my trade orders to take into account my Canned Food factory in Parma-Modena, which I had forgotten to do at the time. In June the UK annexes Burma, and my budget has settled out to a £2 profit. I have crime about about a quarter, and now Bologna is also affected by corruption. My education is now about two-thirds, but I don’t want to tax my poorest at more than 75%. Waiting for Mechanical Produciton basically so I can get those 5 Machine Parts to build a factory or two. In August France makes peace with Annam, getting Saigon, Dongnai, Tekmao, and Hatien. In November Russia declares war on Bukkhara, and that’s that.

1844: My screen once more disppears under a load of pop-ups. This time it’s the Greek Constitution domino effect. That’s in June, nothing happens in the first half of the year. In August I get Medicine, and Mechanical Production finally appears. I chose it. Russia annexes Bukkhara, and the OE declares war on Egypt. France backs Egypt. Corruption hits Rimini and Grosseto. I build a rail-road in Perugia. Russia declares war on Kokand and Greece hitches up in a military alliance with the French.

1845 beings with the USA buying New Mexico and Arizona from Mexico. I made another couple of deals with 2Siciles and S-P (both have relations now +165 or more), getting about £9000 between them trading Steam Engine to S-P and Experimental RR to 2Sicilies. The OE makes peace with Egypt getting Dimashq and Amman. Russia made peace with Kokand, taking Tashkent and turning Kokand into a satellite. In December I get Mechinal Production, and start building a Lumber Mill and Steel Factory in Parma-Modena. I start on Idealism.

1846 UK and USA accept 49th degree. I start paying serious attentin to improving my relations with Austria. The UK declared war on, and quickly annexed, Jahore, before declaring war on Annam (via event). Cambodia joins in the fun against the UK again. At the end of the year my two new factories are built, and I close the canned food operation, and transfer everyone to the other 2. I filled up the Steel factory, and there are 4 small craftsmen POPs suriving that I put into the Lumber Mill. I turn the largest into Clerks. All in all a quiet year. I re-jig my sliders now I have more money coming in. Eduation goes back up to 100%, and I nudge Crime up slightly.

1847 January is a month to be remembered, for a Great War began on the 13th. Basically a whole load of DoWs popped up on the screen. The end result was two interconnected wars that revolved around the Slesvig events. The two wars were:

France, Denmark, Russia, Holstein, Greece and Kokand versus Prussia, Mecklenburg and Hannover.

Russia, Denmark, Kokand, Holstein and Greece versus Austria.

France dishonoured the alliance in the second war that actually occurred a few days later on the 2nd February.

In March I get Idealism, and begin looking for the wonders of Functionalism. In August the UK annexes Cambodia, and in October the UK forces Annam to give up Touran and become a satellite. On the last day of October France makes peace with Hannover, getting Osnabrück, Lingen, Lüneburg, Stade, and Emden. I take a look. Austria and Prussia have forced into Russia, but France has steamrollered over western Prussia and is pushing further on eastward. In November on the 4th attempt the USA forces Mexico to stop colonising the the Americas. What good that does I do not know. Meanwhile I’e built Exp RR in Rimini and Ancona.

1848 Tibet concludes a deal with China. There are a bunch of minor peace treaties in the Great War. Various white peaces. In May Prussia annexes Holstein. In June I discover Functionalism and opt for Market Structure. Austria makes peace with Denmark, gaining Aarhus, Reykjavik, Gothab, and the Virgin Islands. I can’t work out what was going on there. This however really screws Prussia as she is now effecitely alone, as opposed with a de facto ally. Although she is on the offensive in Russia France encroaches more and more, and shown by the French annexation of Mecklenburg. And that is how the year ends.

Situation as of 1st January 1849

Prestige 40 (11th) Industrial 57 (11th) Military 5 (26th) Overall: 15

Not bad. Though I’ve noticed my prestige dropped by 10 points for no apparent reason in 1847. I don’t know when it dropped, I only noticed in passing. Anyone have any ideas on why that might have happened?

Nice start, about the drop in prestige. Could it be due to some tech selling ? This is a new feature in 1,03 :)

Certainly possible. I confess I only skipped the readme.

Intersting turn of events, stnylan. Can't wait for an update. :)

1849-1853

Opening Positions 1st January 1849

Prestige 40/11th
Industry 57/11th
Military 5/26th
Overall 15

Latium (Roma, Viterbo)
Toscana (Grosseto)
Umbria (Perugia, Ancona) Winery
Romagna (Ferrara, Rimini, Bologna) Glass Factory
Parma-Modena (Parma, Modena, Massa) Lumber Mill, Steel Factory, Canned Food (closed)

I have 1 army of 1 Inf-A and 3 Inf, totalling just over 30k in Modena.
Parma, Modena, Bologna, Rimini, Ancona, Perugia, and Roma have Exp.RR

Literacy 55.9% (up from 35% in 1836)
Population 5.526 million (up from 2.807 in 1836)
52.3/47.7 North/South Italian (28.5/71.5 in 1836)
100% Catholic
79.7/20.3 Conservative/Liberal (91.5/8.5 in 1836)
Plurality 7.6% (up from 0% iirc)
No social or political reforms.

Poor Tax:75%
Middle & Rich Tax: 49.22%
Education 100% Crime c.15% Defence c.40% Army maintenance c.2/3
Tariffs maxed
Running a £6-8 surplus

The year opens with all the various Italian alliances dissolving, that web of defence pacts gone. Immediately I make a Full Alliance with 2Sicilies and a Full Alliance (-France) with S-P. There, that makes me feel a lot safer. Unfortunately I have now ran out of diplomats or I would have declared war on Tuscany and Lucca. I only get 1.25/year. Hopefully at least one of them will remain free of entanglements.

Then the first event we get is Liberal Revolution. Wonderful. All my Clerks/Capitalists/Craftsman get Consciousness +5 and Militancy +3. Suddenly all of Umbria and Romagna go a disappointing red on the Revolt risk map. It also increases my Plurality by 20%. That really hurts, since it is enough to make the difference for most of my population between positive and negative militancy. Austria declares war on Serbia. Serbia had a military alliance with the OE, and their independence guaranteed by Russia. Both allies refused to help, and Serbia was annexed in six months.

Belgium joins France in its war against Prussia. Prussia manages to win a peace with Denmark, taking the provinces of Ribe and Flensburg. How they managed to do this I have no idea, since France was now marching on Berlin. Shortly thereafter my screen is covered with the pop-ups from the spread of the North German Federation. In August, just after this, I receive Market Structure, and choose High & Low Pressure Steam Engines. I have my first revolt at Massa which I crush. I complete a RR in Ferrara. In September Spain joins the French war against Germany (as it is now called).

October brings be my diplomat. Tuscany has a full alliance with S-P, but Lucca bless them remain in international isolation. I declare war. It is short. The Lucchese have a small 1000 man division that they don’t reinforce. On December 7th Lucca becomes part of my nation, joining the state of Toscana. I note they have one clerk and one craftsman. I decide to build a cement factory, just to help consolidate my industrial base. Coal is easy to get hold of on the WM at least.

Elsewhere on the 3rd November Germany sued for Peace with France, having to yield Stendal, Minden, and Saarbrücken, and pay indemnities for 3 years. So the Great War ends. France has built up a substantial holding in NW Germany, with the provinces they gained early on from Hannover and Mecklenburg.

The USA goes Pro-Abolition in the Compromise of 1850. Will this mean an early ACW? In February we get a cultural invention that gives us 50 prestige. Then in March End of the Liberal Revolution happens to us. It takes away all the Consciousness and Militancy it gave, but the added Plurality remains. Good omens I hope. In fact it is a very quiet year. In July I built a RR in Grosseto, and in October I discover High & Low Steam Engines. I go for Interchangeable parts. November sees France declare war against Siam. In December we complete the cement factory. The clerk POP has buggered off, but the craftsmen remains so we put him to work.

It was during 1850 that I noticed that my Winery in Umbria was filled with farmers, and one craftsman (it once had a standard 2/3 complement of clerks/craftsmen). Now, I know POPs can devolve, but I didn’t think I was taxing them high enough to do that. Moreover, I was fairly certain they didn’t just stay working in the factory once they’ve become farmers. I change one of the farmer POPs to a clerk, and sure enough the other three get out of the factory. I go and find them and recreate then as craftmsne/clerks (those throws me £3000 in debt as I buy up all those goods on the WM). A year later when I looked again both clerks had changed to farmers but still worked in the factory again. Odd.

Another quiet year, the first half is spent repaying the debt created by the above mess. In May we get Hegelian Idealism invention, which adds another 57 Prestige. In June I got the Opera House Random event, and I went for it getting £200 and increasing the Consciousness of the rich dudes by 1. That £200 goes to pay off the last of the debt. I decide to fiddle some more with the sliders. Since I am now making about a £9-12 surplus I cut the Middle and Rich taxes down to 29.7%. This causing a raise in my tariff income, so I cut my Poor tax down to 60.9% and raise my Defence to about half. I consider raising my crime spending, but at the moment things seem to be holding steady on the corruption front with 4-5 provinces usually affected. In October France makes peace with Siam, extorting Pisalouk, Korat, Patriu, Bangpasoe, Chan ta bun, and three years of indemnities.

In January I get Interchangeable parts, and choose Empiricism. I have stared quite seriously to think about some political reforms, but the idea of allowing people to vote simply doesn’t ring true for the Papacy. Social reforms are a possibility, but also important is getting my Plurality down. As I understand it the only way to do this really is to choose Aristocracy in the Aristocracy v Meritocracy invention, and for that I need State & Government. So I go Empiricism, both to see if I can get some more prestige, but also to cycle through quicker until I get State & Government. I realise this plan could be seriously flawed. In particular it is probably not the wisest thing to neglect army techs, but I’m feeling cultural.

In March Modena revolts, and I crush that. In May I get the invention that allows Machine Parts factories. I am tempted, sorely tempted, to build one, but for the moment I choose not to. I have now a small stash of machine parts, 12 in total. That is enough to keep me happy for the time being. In the long run I am thinking of setting up Paper Mill, but I don’t have that much in way of population to play around with.

In June the OE declares war on Montegro (annexing them in December), and Russia joins in against the OE. In September I build a RR in Lucca. In October Perugia revolts, and I move my slow army from Modena to there. In fact it doesn’t get there before Perugia falls in late December.

In early January we fight a battle against the rebels in Ancona and win, and march onto Perugia, restoring order later in the month. I move my army back to Bologna. I had not realised just how slow it was. In May we get Empiricism, and so I turn to Ideaological thought. Some of those inventions will help my plurality I know, some will make my population liberal, and possible hurt the Plurality. Not good, but nothing I can do about that.

I finally decide to ditch my current governing party – the Ristorazionista – in favour of the Moderati. They have nearly the same politices, most importantly they are conservative, Interventionist, and Protectionist. The latter two so I can keep running my economy (I get £21-24 in tariffs, which on a surplus of c.£12 is rather a lot), and the former to help reduce militancy of most of my population. In retrospect I should have made that change a long time ago. Incidentally the only other option were the Republicani who are Anarcho-Liberal, and have lots of policies I disagree with. I finish it all off with building a RR in Viterbo, which means everywhere now how Experimental railroad.

Future Thoughts
I will want to keep an eye on Tuscany, so that the moment when she is free from alliances I will declare war and take her over. That will make Italy nicely quartered between me, 2Sicilies, S-P, and Austria. I suppose the next step will be either going up against one of the other two, or buying land from Austria. I have generally positive relations with Austria (+90) and negative with France (-40), and positive with my Italian partners: 2Sicilies (+100) and S-P (+199). France seems to be a big mean bestie however, and the prospect of various wars in the near future does not fill me with confidence.

Prestige 138/8th
Industrial 66/13th
Military 5/28th
Overall 12th

Ahh, a full Papal AAR. It looks like you got to start a little better than I, especially with a couple of factories. Nice going so far. I agree about the Austrian land purchases. I plan to try the same myself when I get back around the the man in white. Did I understand France is not allied with S-P in the above?

Wamo Unfortunately I'm not really a screen-shot person. Some people are, but me, I'm just a text man. Anyway, glad you liked it.

PriestofDiscord Well this is only my second game with 1.03, and on my first as the USA I more or less ignored Europe. My only problem is the likely inevitable war ove the ITalian Question, when it comes around.

coz1 You understand correctly. Unfortunately that blessed situation does not long persist. I'm holding off buying land from Austria at the moment, but am considering conquering Tunisia and exchanging that for land.

Flavius Aetius Glad you liked it.

1854-1858

Opening Positions 1st January 1854

Prestige 138/8th
Industrial 66/13th
Military 5/28th
Overall 12th

Latium (Roma, Viterbo)
Toscana (Grosseto, Lucca) Cement Factory
Umbria (Perugia, Ancona) Winery
Romagna (Ferrara, Rimini, Bologna) Glass Factory
Parma-Modena (Parma, Modena, Massa) Lumber Mill, Steel Factory, Canned Food (closed)

I have 1 army of 1 Inf-A and 3 Inf, totalling just under 30k in Rimini.
All provinces have Exp.RR

Literacy 63.7% (up from 55.9% in 1849)
Population 4.955 million (up from 4.526 million in 1849)
50.7/49.3 North/South Italian (up from 52.3/47.7 in 1849)
100% Catholic
65.7/31.8/1.7/0.8 Conservative/Liberal/Reactionary/Anarcho-Liberal (79.7/20.3/0/0 in 1849)
Plurality 31.0% (up from 7.6% in 1849)
No social or political reforms.

Poor Tax:60.9%
Middle & Rich Tax: 29.7%%
Education 100% Crime c.10% Defence c.55% Army maintenance c.2/3
Tariffs maxed
Running a £12-16 surplus

First off our alliances with S-P and 2Sicilies expire. We make full alliances again with both, no exceptions in either case. I know its not terribly long now till France might push a unified Italy, and I want to make sure that I have some friends whoever is chosen. To that end as well I begin seriously trying to improve relations with Austria. Unfortunately also in this diplomatic spree S-P gets an alliance with France. This does not enthuse me at all. In March Perugia revolts once more, and is put down. In May my scientists discover Idealogical Thought, and I State & Government is an option so I chose that. In the next three months I get three of the cultural inventions that in total cut my Plurality by 15% and turn some of my liberals conservative. In August there is a minor flap as Peru and Chile declare war on Argentina, with the UK honouring a Defence Pact (I think). In the long run nothing comes of this as Peru quickly signs a white peace. All in all a mostly quiet year. Russia and the OE are still at war. In both Europe and the Caucauses Russia has the edge, but has not established dominance. Greece joined in against the Ottomans for a few months, before signing a white peace. At the very end of the year I re-jig the tax sliders setting Poor Tax to 50%. There is another increase in tariffs, but I choose not to lower taxes any further since I am very distrustful of tariff income collapsing.

Perugia revolts again in the New Year. The rebel force is slightly larger this time and just able to take the province before my army arrives. Since in the north only Lucca now has a revolt risk (and under 1% at that) I leave the army in Perugia. The effect of changing party and the lower taxes are beginning to show, coupled with the loss of plurality. I get another lovely cultural invention that does another 5% drop in January, and another in June. In July my boffins work our State & Government, and I decide its time for some military tech. I chose Army Profressionalism. In November I decided to enact my first social reform and opted for Abysmal Healthcare. Its simple, relatively cheap, and just helps take the edge of lower class militancy. Another quiet year though. This is getting worrying.

In May I go with Clericalism in the Clericalism v Anti-Clericalism choice. No real option there really all things considered ;) August turns out to be a slightly busy month. First of Army Professionalism gets worked out, I opt for Clean Coal next. Second I go for Establishment in Establishment v Populism. I hmmmd about that choice for several minutes, but I decided to go with a more rp-like option. Besides, hitherto I’ve almost always chosen Populism, but since I’m not intending to let anyone vote anytime soon so far it’s a moot choice. Finally my dear old leader, Salerno, dies. I have enough leadership to get a new one, called Orlanda. He’s a merciless incompetent. Great. In December we get Bureaucracy v Nepotism, and I choose Bureaucracy, since it the Catholic Church ain’t bureaucratic I don’t know what is.

Interestingly the Ottomans have managed to push the Russians back to the pre-war border on the Caucauses front, but are failing badly in the European theatre. It looks like while they could keep the Russians bottled up in the Constanta-Silistra corridor they could just about manage, but once Varna fell the flood-gates opened.

In February Sweden joins the OE in their war against Russia. Russia only has minimal troops up there, and Sweden soon makes some ground. On the Caucases front the Turks manage to take Erevan and push a little further, but in Europe the situation continues to deteriorate, and rebels are getting more frequent. The Turks are forced to the table in August, and forced to hand over Suleymania, Ardahan, Al Mawsil, Silistra, and Constanta. What is odd is that those first 3 are provinces in the Caucauses front (actually they run down alongside the Persian border half-way into modern day Iraq). AI peace as ever seem to be a bit screwed up at times – recall that Austrian/Denmark peace that saw Iceland, Greenland, and the Virgin Isles go to Austria? I wonder if it will ever be possible to inject some rationalisation into these peace deals, but I suppose probably not. Oh well.

Otherwise again very little happens in this year. In March I opt for Aristocracy in Aristocracy v Meritocracy as was my intention. In August I get the Academic Circle random event. Naturally I chose to go for it, -£500 by 2 RPs. In September Clean Coal gets invented and I choose Phenomalism. In October the Austrians turn down my request for a Defensive alliance. And that is literally it. Not really very much is happening.

And we start the year with another revolt, this time in Ancona. The reason why Perugia and Ancoma are particularly revolt prone is because of those two farmer POPs working in my winery. They both are reactionary, and make their dislike known, but I have decided just to leave them be since whatever the problem is (and I’ve read conflicting possibilities) they just act like Craftsmen while they are there. In October we discover Phenomalism, and I decide time for another Army tech: Military plans. That’s it again for the year.

However, by now I have upped the Defence slider to about two-thirds, dropped the Crime slider to a pittance, and converted one large farmer POP in Rimini to soldiers. This has given me a potential manpower of about 34. I feel that I am very soon going to have to beef up my army. In the next year my alliances are due to expire, and I thinking very seriously of going to war with 2Siciles after reforming the alliance with S-P. My surplus has dropped to about £2, but I have built up a £10k war chest. I imagine for any future war I will have to up Poor taxes to 60% again, and I would max out on Defence now that I have a Pro Military party in.

Taking a quick look around the world colonising has really just begun in earnest in the last five years. The UK is the prime mover here, though the OE has a presence in places too. Russia has proved to be much less abusive. Spain is active, France a little less than usual, probably because of that big war with Prussia/Germany. With FoW off one sees another possible reason: France is a criminal wonderland. Every French province is corrupted. In the world. Only S-P is like that among all the other European powers (though both the NGF and OE are badly troubled).

Future Thoughts
The spectre of Italian unification now hangs over me like the sword of Damocles. The Austrian refusal for a defensive alliance despite high (+150) relations was a little disheartening. At the moment I do not think I have the capability of defending myself from S-P. 2Sicilies would be hard, they are miles ahead of me in army tech. But that war would be limited, they have no other alliances other than the one with me. Still, I am not quite sure here which way to leap. Something to sleep on I feel.

I have also begun to wonder about buying some clippers on the WM to build a few transports and taking out Tunisia, or possibly even Morocco.

Prestige 140/9th
Industry 73/13th
Military 5/28th
Overall 13th

Yes the wonders of 1.03...you cant just steam roll any nation you choose can you :). Oh well its been good...though sounds hard. It almost seems like a "real world" experience.....you want to expand but if you do your lible to get yoru ass handed too you on a silver platter.

Have you thought about attacking Greece or the OE? I know its overseas and a bit hard to maintian...but you could add quite a bit o manpower for very little (dont they have a lot of useless farmers?)

Nice update, stnylan. Hope you'll be the one uniting Italy :)

I agree with you. I think Two Sicilies should be your target, but beware them forging an alliance with Spain, which happens from time to time. Smaller countries can take a while before something exciting happens, but it feels so good once it does. Keep it up!