• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Amric

Hurricane Sergeant of Arms
2 Badges
May 4, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
I enjoyed the speedy progress of my last AAR so much that I decided to do it again, but probably not quite at the speed of the other one. I chose Strassburg on a whim. I don't really even have a strategy, other than to try to keep my BB below 20 at all times. I will try to reach a port and hopefully at some point gain an explorer and reach lands to colonize, and of course conquer. I shan't worry about the names of Kings, et al. Greed, tempered by pragmitism is the watchword!

Another Amric's AAR? Oh my God!

Do I have time to breath?:D :D :D

Good luck, my friend!

BTW, can Strassburg become France?

No, Lorraine can, and it has French and German culture, Strass just has German.

Well it is 1419! Somehow it seems I have been in this situation before, I show up and people immediately hate me. Not sure what it is, perhaps just bad karma? Born under an unlucky star? Or could it be because I’m an arrogant S.O.B. who thinks he is better than everyone else?(OOC: I’m talking about the character, not me people! :D)

Anyway I show up in Strassburg, which is so small my home state in the US looks big, which is saying something. My name? Scott. My purpose? To make Strassburg into something other than a punching bag for France and Austria. Oh, and to live through the experience.

Well after I scope out the situation I have a little chat with the king. Damned if I know what his name is, and I don’t really care. He’s replaceable. As is anyone who takes over after he takes a dirt nap. He thought to have me placed into his dungeon, but after I slapped around his Palace Guards, he reconsidered. It might have had something to do with my boot on his throat though.

After brushing himself off he offers me the job of running his country. Smart man, as I was going to do it anyway. I have nothing better to do, after all. So I ask him why Lorraine hates Strassburg and has a cassus belli on his country. He spent a half an hour trying to explain the reason. I got irritated with him because I hardly speak any German at all.

I started to teach him English. Then thinking further I decided that everyone is going to start learning English. Not just the court, EVERYONE. Every man, woman, and child would start learning it. If dogs and cats could speak they would be learning as well. I’m not stupid, I know it is going to take a long time to get everyone talking civilized English.

I teach the king and his court first, along with the highest military commanders. It is not an optional class. It’s mandatory. After a few duels, and some quick burials, the rest got the idea that I am NOT to be trifled with, ever. These barbarians WILL learn, or else. It is that simple.

By 1421 I have the entire court and the military commanders speaking English. They have horrible German accents, but I can live with it for now. The court started to teach the servants and a lot of selected teachers who would start teaching others. It would be a form of Pay It Forward, except what was being promoted was English, on my terms.

Being the smart lad that I am, I have made friends with some people who I have made nobles. The king wasn’t too happy about it, but after dangling him from the battlements of the castle he saw the light and agreed that I was a genius. The new nobles were totally and completely loyal to me. They knew if anything happened to me, they would be on a gibbet in a trice.

I also made sure to be friendly to the servants and other commons around the court, as well as the capitol during those first two years. Oh, if I haven’t mentioned it, I have sometimes long stretches of insomnia. So I have a lot of nervous energy. I start having copious amounts of paper brought to my study. I explained the concept of filing cabinets to the local cabinet maker. He wasn’t keen on the idea until I shoved a pouch of gold at him.

Soon I have a nice desk and a bunch of filing cabinets. I have been writing furiously for another year, making plans for all sorts of things. One of the first things I did was inform the Generals that the army would PROFESSIONAL. No conscripts of untrained twits. An officer’s training school was founded, as was a boot camp for the regular soldiers. I plan on my troops being very high quality. They will have to be, for Strassburg can’t field a very large army compared to some of her neighbors. There just isn’t enough population to support a huge army, let alone the money to pay for it.

Well Lorraine is still being a pest, what with whining about the border between us. I decided that it would be better to do unto others before they do unto you. I had been planning on this since 1419. I had had the army recruit more troops. When the Lorraine ambassador started calling me names in French, which coincidentally I knew about as much as German, I decided the little prig would look good as my personal battle flag. So I had him flayed alive and used his skin as such.

This of course horrified the little people I controlled. After a few object lessons they decided that it was better if they just shut up and let me do whatever the hell I pleased. I declared war on Lorraine. I ordered the General in charge of the invasion to conquer the territory. If he failed he had better fall on his sword. For there would be no place on Earth he could hide that I wouldn’t find him. I think he believed me.

He led the troops personally and crushed the 10000 men under the colors of Lorraine. And I don’t mean that he beat them and they ran away. He had them all killed. I was proud of him. I sent him a bottle of whiskey in congratulations. I guess I forgot to mention that I had had a whiskey distillery built soon after I arrived. The wine sucked, and I hate beer.

A year later I rode to see what was taking him so long to capture the city. His scouts must have seen my retinue coming because by the time I got there the capitol was in our hands, and the erstwhile king of Lorraine was in chains in the public square. I clapped the general on the back, and handed him another bottle of whiskey. He seemed pleased and left me to my work.

I told the ex king that Lorraine now belonged to me. He had a choice, he could die here and now, or he could get the hell out of my country. He begged for his life. I gave him a horse and let him leave with the clothes on his back. I had him followed. He went about 20 miles outside of the city and tried to gather support for an insurrection. Bad idea. I had him dragged back to the city in chains again. Naked. He’d pissed me off, but I knew the sad sack would do just what he did anyway.

I thought for three days on the way I would have him executed. Some of my retinue tried to convince me that regicide was frowned upon in Europe at this time. I told them that he wasn’t a king anymore, so it wouldn’t BE regicide. In the end I decided that he would be chased by his one time people through the streets of the city naked. They were to stone him until he was most assuredly dead. Considering that his incompetence had caused them to lose the war and that they were going to be converting to the English language they seemed quite happy to take on the task.

Amazing how much stamina the old boy had. It took four hours for the citizens to kill him off for me. I later found out that they had prolonged his torment because they were ticked at having to learn English. I gave a speech informing them that since they were not a part of Strassburg that they had better toe the line. Or else.

Within 1 year the people of Lorraine tried to rebel. After I had all the rebels killed and the families of the rebels, that ended that little problem. They had learned that I was dead serious about my intentions. Piles of dead bodies don’t bother me as long as I am not one of them. Simple as that.

Since my retainers had been somewhat right about the reaction from the rest of Europe about my having the ex king killed I thought it might be prudent to lay low for awhile and let the silly sheep that was the royalty and nobility of Europe forget what had happened. So I decided to keep the army well trained and made them do patrols all along the borders of greater Strassburg.

It was over twenty years before I went to war again. I didn’t have time to get bored. I taught the ideas of science and the scientific method to as many people as wanted to learn. I also taught what little I knew about architecture and building in general. It wasn’t much, but it was leagues ahead of the locals, except for building cathedrals. Man these people are nuts for them.

I don’t think I could throw a rock without hitting one in this hick town. Granted in this period of time it’s a city. But compared to what I was used to, it was a fly speck. I solved that problem somewhat by starting a massive building program. Unemployment? What’s that? Everyone was busy as all hell. I made the streets wider. MUCH wider.

Let’s be honest. I made them pretty much knock down the city and start all over. It probably would have been easier to just build elsewhere, but some of those cathedrals were kind of pretty. So I let them keep the castle and some of the cathedrals. I told them the concept of sewer systems and hygiene and all that stuff. I had absolutely no intention of being killed off by the plague when it would inevitably sweep through Europe.

I tried to explain that such could be caused by the fleas on rats and mice. But they didn’t believe me. So I made it simpler for them. Cats were made far more important than dogs. I wanted the rat problem taken care of, and for the most part, it was.

Austria had taken out Wurttemburg, which had me somewhat concerned, as they had asked for military access to us in 1426, only to cancel it in 1435. Well Baden had dishonored an alliance she had been in, and I knew another chance had dropped into my lap like a scalded cat.

I declared war by simply crossing the border with my troops and setting up a camp about ten miles into Baden. Their army apparently couldn’t find their way to the border with a map, a flashlight, and a native guide. Took them freaking forever to show up. Since my boys were getting bored I had them dig trenches and fill ‘em with sharp stakes. I had a thin line of pikemen behind them along with a whole lot of crossbowmen. I had cavalry, and I planned to use them. I had two wings sent to the north and south to hide in the nearby trees. Then I twiddled my thumbs and drank whiskey until the dumb peasants following an incompetent general arrived.

They didn’t even try to get into any coherent formation. I might as well not have bothered with my preparations. They hit the trenches in dribbles and drab and were shot the hell out of by my crossbowmen. The cavalry from the north and south showed up and ran the rest all down like a hunting party after a frightened fox.

We surrounded the city and demanded their surrender. They refused. Gee, what a surprise. I was in a relative hurry and didn’t want to wait a whole year for the city to give in. So I ordered a tunnel dug to the corner of the walls and then I put a whole bunch of gunpowder in there and set it off. I went a little overboard. It had taken my lads three months to get the tunnel dug properly. I was so pissed off I used up my entire supply of gunpowder. It knocked the wall down all right. And left a big ass gaping hole in the ground too.

Pissed me off royally, it did. I had put a breach in the walls, but I had made an instant dry moat as well. A nice killing ground for Baden’s defenders to slaughter my troops. I think the defenders on the wall could hear me cursing a blue streak, because the next day the city surrendered. I’ll take it. It would take me months to get another supply of gunpowder together anyway. Wish I could teach these guys how to make guns, but I don’t know diddly squat about metallurgy or even how to make a damn gun. So it would be good for lobbing into cities with catapults or as a way to blow up a wall.

Anyway, the king had already fled the country. Dipped in onions if I know where. He just flat disappeared. My spy network couldn’t find him. Anywhere. He hadn’t shown up in any court in Europe. Screw it. As long as he doesn’t bother me, he can live. If some disgruntled noble hadn’t already put him in an unmarked grave.

It was 1436, and I had made Strassburg a three province micro kingdom. Yippee! Pat my self on the back for too long and the French or Austrians would eat me for breakfast and devour the nation as dessert.

wow, my MP AAR buddies have already posted before I got a true installment up. Cool.

I had had a bad day, and was in a bad mood. So I decided killing things in EU2 would make me feel better. Trying to stay under 20 BB is a nice concept. I've managed it so far. But since I started in a bad mood, I decided to make the main character kind of a tyrant, and a bit mean to boot. I'm hoping to turn him into a sort of likable bad guy!:D :D

See? I said it wasn't ME! Just a character....There really ought to be a sigh face....<sigh>

During all this time my spies had been busy keeping me informed of what was going on in the rest of Europe. If I haven’t mentioned it, I HATE surprises. Makes me cranky. And since there is no coffee, or Pepsi, or cigarettes you can imagine how that makes me feel. The Byzantines got annexed by Venice around 1450, while the Duchy of Athens was annexed by Albania, only to lose it to Tuscany. The doge in Venice didn’t get to enjoy his conquest of Constantinople for they rebelled and asked the Turk to take over!

The Transylvanians ate Wallachia after it had slapped Serbia around to take Kosovo. Apparently Transylvania and Hungary decided that Wallachia and Serbia had to go. Hungary gobbled up Serbia and Kosovo while Siebenburgen swallowed up Wallachia. Bosnia also got the axe and became a Hungarian province. Saxony inhaled Wurzburg and Austria got to enjoy numerous revolts in Wurttemburg. In fact the pesky germans declared independence only to annexed again in 1455.

Then Helvetia got partitioned by Savoy and Hungary. Appropriate name for Hungary isn’t it? Bavaria and her alliance ripped Austria up in 1475. By the time it was over Bavaria had taken Ostmarch, Wurttemburg, Tirol, and Swyz. Apparently Hungary had also gotten involved and had a bite taken out of it since they had owned Swyz. Then Odenburg defected to Austria, which had to piss the Hungarians off.

Now Bavaria had expanded on my eastern border and apparently wanted more. For it got itself in a war with Saxony, which just happened to be an ally of mine with the Palintate in 1479. Oh well, let’s go whack some Bavarians, say I. We go into Bavaria with three armies. One to Swyz, one to Wurttemburg, and one to the Bavarian capitol.

I hadn’t gotten around to making more gunpowder as I had been overseeing the building of roads and bridges. I wanted my troops to be able to MOVE when and where I wanted them to in a big hurry. They did too, even though it would be quite a while before the roads would be completed. Good enough.

Wurttemburg fell first so that army went to Ansbach. The Swyz fell next so that army went to Tirol. The Bavarian capitol was near to falling in 1481 when they offered me pretty much what I wanted, which was Swyz and Wurttemburg. Happy enough I explained that they WOULD be learning English. The people of Wurttemburg must have been tired, because there was nary a peep of rebellion. Must have lost to many fathers and sons rebelling against the Austrians so many times.

Baden hadn’t yet even attempted to rebel yet. Perhaps the gunpowder demonstration I had inadvertently given them had cowed them into being good little sheep. Now that I had plenty of English speaking Germans and French I had some of them relocated to the new provinces to start up English speaking schools. Nobody even murmured a word of protest.

Perhaps my reputation for not tolerating whining and complaining has finally filtered through their thick skulls. I certainly hope so. Although I have an entire file cabinet drawer full of innovative new tortures and executions to try on those who even think to oppose me. I think the tale of the fellow who kicked a cat in my presence had to have raced out of the royal castle at damned near the speed of light.

He kicked the cat. I had him dragged to the top of the castle walls and kicked his ass off. Right onto some splintered stakes below him. Took him hours to die. The high pitched screams didn’t help the king’s nerves. He died. Never even bothered to know what his name was, I only knew it was the grandson of the first king I had cowed into serving me. Now his son would be taking orders from me. It was as it should be. Do what you are told and I won’t have to hurt you. Seems simple, and for now it seems to be working.

Twice I had some foreign clown come in to claim he was a drill instructor who could improve the quality of my army. The first time I sent him away politely and told him not to return. But lo and behold he apparently hadn’t gotten word that I expect to be obeyed. He showed up two years later. It took him two more years to crawl back out of the country after I had his legs crushed. He won’t be teaching anyone anything unless it is how to beg.

He actually had the nerve to suggest he knew more about military matters than I did. I politely informed him that he knew squat compared to me. I had well over a thousand years of military history, strategy, and tactics crammed into my brain. I like that sort of thing. He claimed he knew more. He had ten assistants with him. I picked five men at random and told them to kill off all of them except for the instructor for whom I had a special punishment. Took my guys all of fifteen seconds to kill them all.

Then I had the stupid fool’;s legs crushed. I left him in prison to heal up enough before he was told to crawl away. I didn’t have the bones set or anything. But since they were broken in a LOT of places it wouldn’t have been possible anyway. So now he gets to drag them along behind him. Maybe that will teach other foreign drill instructors to just leave well enough alone and not bother me with their outdated methods.

Hannover had taken Odenburg 50 years before hand only to have them revolt to AUSTRIA, which wasn’t anywhere nearby. Didn’t matter much as in 1470 they were annexed by Magdeburg. Then there was Kustrin, which revolted and went to Pommern for some strange reason. And now in 1486 Hessen owns Oldenburg. Not sure how that happened, and I don’t really care. At least for now I don’t.

It certainly seems that I am immortal. I haven’t aged a bit since I got here….but then again I shouldn’t even be HERE! Last I knew I was an American in 2003. Since I can’t seem to remember how I got here, I will just do what I can. With the limited tools that I have, namely Strassburg and it’s citizens.

Oddly enough, nobody else in Europe seems to have noticed that the people of this nation all speak English. And not the one they are used to from England. American English. My version. And none of that idiotic spelling from this time period either. An “s” looks like an “s”, not a damned “f”. Or the other nonsense. Like the horrible spelling of this age. By all that is holy the people will spell correctly. They do, for they don’t know any better and I don’t let the English in here to try and corrupt them either. Arrogant suckers they are in this time period. What am I saying? They are still that way. Must be something to do with that Empire business they love to prattle on about.

We’ll just see what kind of empire they end up with, won’t we? They’ve already gone bankrupt twice so far. What more could happen? But I mustn’t forget that they do have some decent leaders in the army and navy. So does France, and Austria. Now if only I can get some things done so that when that fat Swede Vasa tries to show up on the scene he can whistle for something to do. Maybe he’ll take up fishing. Vasa isn’t a bad guy really. I kind of liked him from what I read about him. But if he interferes in what I am doing I’ll crush him, even if I have to kill everyone in Europe to it.

1486, and I am waiting patiently for my next opportunity to take some other sap out of the race for survival.

Oh, the Austrians aren't going to be paying squat for much...I think they are going to lose more territory. They are still at war with Bohemia and the Poles...:D

Besides, there hasn't been a bad guy AAR in awhile...:) :D

A new Amric AAR already. Wow. Well you certainly seem to be fuming that’s for sure and perhaps a cat lover too? Nice writing Amric and I will of course follow this one. I guess it will not be an easy country to play? Your tactics?:D

Judge, so far it has been pretty simple. Maybe I hit a blind spot with France and Austria for the moment. Tactics? Survive. I don't really have a grand strategy for this one. With Sweden I had a massive grand strategy. With the Chimu I had a grand strategy that fell a bit short. Kind of disappointed me. This time I will just take what comes and see what happens. The over all tactics is to lose less men than the other guy. Right now I only have a manpower pool of 11. I can't afford to get in big wars. But I will do the best that I can. Thanks for reading!

Ahh such a strategy will allow you to focus on the internal problems I guess. Plenty of time to think of various ways to behave cruelly and find out new juicy methods to decimate troublesome individuals then :D

As we walk through the lovely country side of western Europe, we come across a sign,

Stress-burg, 50 miles.

Omg, Amric, I think I will put off my invasion of Europe for a while :D

Looks around for a flag or another marker...subscribe, yes that will do. Nice start, Amric.

Judge, there is that...Internal policies...yesssss. Thanks for reading!

haaf, now you aren't going to let a little thing like a Strassburg upset your invasion plans are you?:D Glad you like the start of this one so far...

It's still a long walk from the Crimea all the way to Stress-burg, Amric, but don't tell anyone that, especially those Russians, they currently own the Crimea... ;)

"You think they've noticed those big fortresses on our side of the border?" Dennis asks the cute little black bunny.

"And what if they have," the cute little black bunny replies, "you want me to tear them down again? Besides it gives them something else to do than going bankrupt."

Wow, I must say that this "Scott" Fellow sounds like a cross between Vlad the Impaler, Stalin and a ruthless corporate CEO.

Hm....I was thinking more along the lines of Napoleans and Genghis Khan....hadn't even thought of a ruthless CEO...maybe a corporate raider?:) A long walk from Crimea? It's a long walk to anywhere from Crimea!:) Thanks for reading guys!

Sometimes the most pleasurable games are those without a grand strategy. A ‘good’ villain is hard to come by. You’ve gone bankrupt twice? Boy are you in for a long hard game.:( Good luck.:)

Joe

Crimea? Did somebody say Crimea?

I think you've just won the "Most AARs written in a single week" award, just how many are you writing now???? :cool:

No, I didn't go bankrupt twice. A different country did. As for how many I am writing...just this one...guesting in Nalivayko's, a part of the Free Company,and the MP Late Night Liquor Club.

Since I can’t seem to remember how I got here, I will just do what I can

Let me remind you:

Interesting AAR...Just be careful of Wallenstein when he shows up in a little bit. You do not want to meet him in the field if he has over a 2-1 advantage over you.

5.05.2003 - Paradox Entertainment - forums > Europa Universalis II > EU II Discussions > After Action Reports (AAR) > The 30 year war. A swedish empire.:D