A Helpful Hint For WritAARs Who Want ReadAARs...And Want To Keep Them

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Both of these points have been brought up countless times, but it never hurts to reinforce the notion. I have not heard much in the way of complaints about comments lately, and that is terrific! But I wanted to make sure we did not fall into some bad habits, so I thought I might reiterate these thoughts for anyone who may not have heard or thought of them before.

The best way to gain readAARs is to branch out and read other people's work. We generally practice a quid-pro-quo type atmosphere here, and there is no better advertisement than a comment in someone else's AAR. Especially if your own AAR is listed in your signature. Plus, reading other work will always be a benefit to see what works and what does not.

And more importantly, one of the best ways to keep readAARs is to make sure you respond to the feedback they give you. Just as a writAAR wants feedback on their work, so too does a commentAAR have some desire to see the response to what they might have said in your AAR. It may sound silly, but it is true. And think about it - is there harm in such? I can't see it. It seems only proper that if one makes comment on your work (that you certainly desire, one would think), then you should repay the favor by at least acknowledging that effort and thanking those that took the time to do so.

Not a soapbox, folks. ;) Just a friendly reminder so you have the best readAARship that you could possibly have. Call them (as I so often do) my own two ducats. :D

And feel free to offer your own thoughts on this. However, be warned - this thread is likely to self destruct within five days time...Hello, chief?

Can't agree more with you! I even think I'm sometimes pressing my readership a little too much.

Reading other works, yeah it has the additional benefit of behing pleasant too. If your free time allows you to stay up to date in everything you read... That's why I've chosen to read only a few AARs. I'm still not sure that's the best practice, but you have to choose at some point, don't you? :p

canadiancreed said:
another tidbit of advice.

Dont' wait for a month to do updates :D
oh :eek:o good advice there!

:D

Quid Pro Quo is a truely beautiful thing you know. Its the equivelent of a secret lover, in both size and taste. However, let thee not start sprouting rubbish.

I think there is a very valuable point being made by Coz. Very well put.

Believe it or not, but I agree too. The only reason why I read so little, comment so little and update so seldom is because I really have NO time for AARing at all - but sometimes I do it anyway (at work, instead of sleeping etc). Coz1's advice is right on target.

Well my colours are nailed to my mast (or signature, as the case may be). Despite that motto however I will admit to have stopped following AARs where the writer never or only extremely rarely responds to comments.

There is an important exhortation here though. I have read on a couple of occasions by non-native English speaker writAARs that they are reluctant to respond to comments as they do not always know precisely what the comments mean, and are embarrassed/intimated. This is not something to which I can say "I know what you mean" because, of course, I don't. However, I would urge any writAARs who feel that way to post anyway, even if only asking what on earth is meant. Everyone knows there are a large number of non-native English speakers on the forum, and there are plenty of people who will be willing to help.

canadiancreed said:
another tidbit of advice.

Dont' wait for a month to do updates :D
D'oh! So that's where I've been going wrong! :p