• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(35351)

Shah of Persia
Oct 18, 2004
Code:
## War of the Nations, a World War 1 mod for Victoria: Revolutions  ##

The aim of this mod is to improve the Great War scenario. One of the foremost things
this mod tries to achieve is balance. Several nations have been toned down or made stronger
as was historically the case, this to achieve a close to historical WW1. With the release
of Revolutions, I'll also start to focus on the aftermath of the First World War.

#### Installation instruction  ####

Always make sure you install it over a clean V:R installation!

1) Make a second copy of your Victoria: Revolutions folder (just copy and paste)
2) Put the WotN.rar file in the desired folder
3) Extract with WinRAR.
4) Put the files in your main Victoria folder
5) Enjoy

Or alternatively, download and install JSGME in your Revolutions folder. This program allows
you to enable and disable mods, so if necessary you don't have to keep 2-3 additional copies of
the game.

####		       ######
##Changes to Version 1.03b  ##
####		       ######

- Entirely reworked the British OOB (Thanks Lord_Protector!)
	- Reworked the Ottoman Empire OOB
	- Increased the Mob Pools of GER, AUS, FRA, RUS
	- USA starts with 0 prestige (to prevent it becoming the alliance leader)
	- Added Aden (VIE) and Abu Dhabi to scenario start
	- Fixed the two ships under construction for OE, couldn't be deployed
	- Added Kars state as cores to OE
	- Removed allowed_buildings from scenario setup
	- Added the Bergius Process as industrial invention (id = 564)
	- Added the synthetic oil factory (woken by Bergius Process)
	- Germany starts with invention 564
	- Increased the starting treasuries of all nations
	- Increased the standing army of Persia
	- Slight changes to all AIs for European powers in diplomacy
	- Added Kuwait (DAI) to scenario start
	- Added new parties for MEX and COL
	- Added flags with new shading for ENG, GER, ITA, FRA (other types of government)
	- Tweaked the British AI to keep more ships in the North Sea
	- Removed Hungarian from A-H as state culture, added Slovene and Czech
	- Created a more dynamic Trench Warfare event sequence
	- Expanded the Trench Warfare events to include Southern France, if Italy is CP
	- Completely reworked the Entry events for all nations
	- Added a 'Lesser Brest-Litovsk' Event in case of an early Russian collaps
	- Fixed some triggers in the AI Treaty events
	- Reworked the mobilization events (now just conversion and manpower)
	- Fixed several triggers for a German collapse
	- Fixed a missing flag in the French Give Harsher terms
	- Badboy reduction for the Bolsheviks after annexation of various nations
	- Fixed mobilization events where countries don't get manpower
	- Fixed a bug where it was possible that Austria kept control over Lombardy/Venice
	- Added a possibility for OE to continue the war, if Germany collapses
	- Fixed the trigger in event 28613 now checks if Slovakia is independent and not Slovenia
	- Added an additional trigger to events where it required YUG to exists, now will fire if SER exists
	- The Russian revolutions can now fire earlier
	- Reduced the cost for mobilization for the minors
	- Changed some triggers/dates in the Russian and Austrian surrender events
	- Removed the capital has fallen trigger from Austria and German surrender events (was hugely exploitable)
	- Reworked the Italian surrender events shouldn't fire immediately if they join when FRA has been knocked out
	- Removed the sleepevent from 28521
	- Reworked the triggers for Ottoman collapse
	- Reworked the triggers for Bulgarian surrender
	- Fixed a trigger to allow a Tsarist defeat event to fire
	- It's now possible for the OE to gain Georgia, Azerbaijan and Dagestan under certain conditions
	- Treaty of Versailles now fires for a human ENG
	- Further tweaked the ENG, RUS, AUS and GER AIs
	- Added tech 1403 to TUR to balance it
	- Included the latest version of Prinz Wilhelm and Semper Victors Leaderpack (v 2.01c)

You can get the Revolutions version here or here

Some slight changes to the scenario setup to fix early AI peace can be found here

If you've got 1.04, you can get it here NOTE: The 1.04 version is a direct conversion from 1.01, so it might give some odd results.

I hope you enjoy this mod and if you've got any suggestions, comments or anything else, please post them.

Last edited:
I've done some test with the new improved AI, and the results are as follows:
- France attacks the Elzas-Lotharingen, but will get pushed back ( at least it did in most of the games) Once I saw them reach Mainz,
- Proper German attacks in the west. Germany doesn't attack Verdun, Nancy and the other French provinces, but goes through Belgium. On average I see Belgium holding on till mid 1915 when the French attacks are pushed back.
- In one or two games I saw Canadian troops, under british control, land in Ghent. However most of British Invasions still take place in North Germany.

The Eastern Front however still needs tweaking. But the results are ok.
- Russia starts of good, controlling some of East Prussia and some of Galicia, later the Russians will be pushed back. ( sometimes the Germans almost reach St.Petersburg. Once I saw the Austrians in Tula ). However this is 1916!
-If the Ottomans get involved ( they have no AI yet ) which seems to happen regularly, the whole caucasus gets occupied by them.

It's all still work in progress and most countries will get more AI files in time. One thing which I'll do now is to reorganize the armies of the starting countries.

Last edited:
sometimes i just feel the western front is too, well....easy to conquer...after Belgium is taken, its smoove sailing, if you act rightly...maybe events for increasing the fortress' etc along the Belgien border or outside paris etc...like in the TGW mod for HoI1. Not to mention it ,Austria seems to be doing better than Germany on the Eastern front, as it has taken more land. Overall it looks a good imrpvment, but i always hated how the British landed in North Germany, surely there should be some way of stopping this completly, also maybe a few things with the British against the Ottomans, landings in Iraq, armies moving up thgough Palestine etc etc....also, the Treaty of Brest-Litvosk has a problem, as Germany gets peace with Russia, but the rest of the Central Powers don't, asutria stays at war with Russia, after they surrender with Germany, which is once again annoying, but i think you've made a vast improvement, i think the 1914 scenario is a little negelected....

I thought about Belgium, they survive longer now, however they still sign a seperate peace. And I doubt increased forts will work. Germany will just sent more troops and with artillery the fort will dissapear, but it might slow them down.

The Eastern Front still needs tweaking, however Austria sometimes isn't at war with Italy and the other Balkan Countries, so more manpower for the Eastern Front. The other fronts need even more work.

I've thought about the landings in North Germany and all I could think was that either the British navy gets reduced or the German Navy grows. As it's now the British AI uses the default Naval AI factors.

The peace treaties will be changed. But first I want a decent AI and some events for mobilization in Germany, France, Russia, Austria and perhaps Belgium. As it stands now in 1915 half of the French and German armies are gone.

I think you should give the AI's a high ferocity setting so they are not very likely to make seperate peace with eachother.

I hope this doesn't die and falls into the forgotteness.

No single country, except Serbia, peaced out in my latest test game. I've to admit I created an event for Belgium which moved their capital to Congo. But they fought even with 100% war exhaustion. And not a single time occupied Germany 100% of Belgium. Mostly due to French intervention, but also some British invasions in Belgium.

The Balkan front is still not good, the eastern front is ok for now, cause it lacks the Brest-Litovsk event to end the war. On average around late 1916/early 1917 the Germans occupy Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, parts of Ukraine and Belarus.

I've been working on new AIs for some other countries, like Romania, Bulgaria and the Ottomans. I also had to change the scenario setup. Russia has now more army techs, but fewer naval techs. The Ottomans have been weakened, they were too powerful. Russia is still no powerhouse, but it fights better. I also created some events for Russian Mobilization.

However this results that Germany has to draw men from the Western Front to the Eastern Front. Now Belgium doesn't get whiped of the map in the first weeks of the war.

Last edited:
If you can give me some trigger conditions and event ideas for what you think the end of war events should be I might have some time to write some events, though I cant gurentee anything.

By the way I didnt notice but did you change it so the Ottomons dont start out in the war? If I remember the scenario date is before the Ottomons entered but they are at war anyway.

One last thing, I noticed you said that you had fixed the problem with natios like Belgium signing a peace fairly quickly. Well maybe to help out in this solution you could make it so no nation recives DI using a modifier like the Uncivillized nations have.

Last edited:
Lt Hilsdorf said:
If you can give me some trigger conditions and event ideas for what you think the end of war events should be I might have some time to write some events, though I cant gurentee anything.

By the way I didnt notice but did you change it so the Ottomons dont start out in the war? If I remember the scenario date is before the Ottomons entered but they are at war anyway.

One last thing, I noticed you said that you had fixed the problem with natios like Belgium signing a peace fairly quickly. Well maybe to help out in this solution you could make it so no nation recives DI using a modifier like the Uncivillized nations have.

Any help regarding events is appreciated. One of the first ideas I had was to create some mobilization events for most of the involved countries. As it has now only Russia has mobilization events, giving 3 divisions per 4 months.

Regarding the Ottomans, they don't start in the war, but start a few months later. The date of the screenshots is in 1916, so they are at war now.

The Belgium problem is largely fixed by making an event which moves their capital to Leopoldville ( Africa ). Although I'm not sure how others feel about this approach, but it keeps Belgium in the war most of the times.

@Darks63 By 1915 the entire German Navy is already at the bottom of the sea.

Last edited:
No, I mean in the game, maybe except a few ships, but largely it's laying at the bottom of the sea. But both the German as the British Navy needs some rework.

I've just ran a test game with an improved AI. It's still not perfect ( like Russia very succesful in the beginning ), but it's an improvement I think. I gave Russia, France and Germany more starting troops ( Russia 50, France 16, Germany 20 )

The Middle East in 1917
Mideast1917.jpg

The Western Front in 1917
Belgium1917.jpg

The Eastern Front in 1917
Easternfront1917.jpg

more starting troops? why not add events for more mobilising, like for the VIP US civil war events about the conscription etc....and maybe that can simulate more divisions being created, but towards the end they must be of s reserve sort of quality..

Also, we could add Hejaz as a revolter durign the war in the middle east, we could give them Lawrence of Arabia etc, also we could add the Russian revolution and civil war etc, Japan and Portugal getting into the war, a possuble chain of events for Mexico, also we must add the Mexican rebels against Heurtas government etc...

Basicly giving Russia more starting troops was too see how Germany would cope with more Russian troops and to see how long it would take for Germany to push them back. However the result isn't good, East Prussia is overrun and later being pushed back. Russia needs some serious rework.

Mobilization events were already in my mind to create, however finding a balance is difficult. Of course Russian military will lose some of their morale/organisation through events.

Techwise Russia should be weaker, however this results in German forces crushing Russian forces and German Forces reaching St.Petersburg in 1915/1916 something like that.

Unfortunatly economic blockades can't be modelled. Maybe an event which drops their factory efficiency?

Alright, I made a few changes to AI files and country setups. The extra armies for Russia, Germany and France have been removed. From Russia I removed some added techs. During test runs I found out ( including some mobilization events ) that Russia does average in the beginning and later gets pushed back. Around 1917 Russia lost most of the Baltics, Ukraine and Belarus to Germany/Austra. The results against the Ottomans vary.

The western front is "stable". Meaning France stays up, despite losing some grounds, Belgium usually has 1 province left ( thanks to france ).

Some details about the mobilization events: Russia gets 10 divisions per event, Germany 4, France 5, Italy 3, Austria 1 ( later 2 ) and Belgium get 2 per event ( only they have 2 events ). The first event fires on 1 january 1915 and then repeats every 4 months.

For now there are only a few events, only the mobilization events and certain countries joining the war, just 1 choice in these events, these will be changed later. Also there are no events for ending the war yet!

I'm not sure about compatibility, I have it on a version 1.03c with VIP 0.4b, then it should run.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. There is still a lot to be done with this mod.

Last edited:
i'll have to check it out when i put Vicky back on my PC, but good work i'm sure it will improve the gameplay a lot...well done. After AI, we'd need some events etc....basic ones, but importnant ones none the less, as i have said, the 1914 scenario is pretty much negletcted..except for this of course...