• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mar 11, 2004
The Kingdom of Piedmonte-Sardinia​
Greetings!

I welcome you to my first (attempt) at an AAR. The game is just beginning, so feel free to suggest a course of action - and since I'm a inexperienced and/or bad player, it will be greatly appreciated! :D Oh, and I have no Photoship :eek: :(, se expect no fancy moving pictures or something like that...

I have no special goal for this. Cheating would certainly result in an outbreak of public outrage, and will not be employed.

I am running v1.03 with VIP 0.11
I also do not know too much about the people involved. I'll try and do some research, but for now all I have are Lexicon entries. Of course, everything in here is totally ahistorical and invented.

But without further ado...

[AAR]
Sardinia_Royal.gif

Royal Standard of Sardinia-Piedmonte
Border blue till 1848

The year is 1836. Carlo Alberto is king of Sardinia-Piedmonte for 5 years. They have brought little change to the small realm between the Mediterranean and the alpine mountains to the north. Carlo Alberto has reign has been marked by stability, and relations to both Austria and France were good, if not excellent.
But sometimes, a butterfly may cause a storm, as they say. Slowly, a new wind was gathering in Italy- and, in fact, over all of Europe. It was but a breeze, but the forces of liberalism, and, more importantly, nationalism, were gathering.

The king gazed from his platform high above the kingdom's capital, Torino, to the city below. It was caught in civil unrest; they had began at christmas eve, over a matter of religion; the causes were unknown, but it quickly became clear that religion was not what caught the modern people's attention. Soon, the confrontation was no longer between christians and muslims, but between Italians and Arabians.
He turned to the head of the carabinieri, Nicolai Fabrizzio.
"Keep the order in the city," he said with an even voice.
The general, a plain and entirely uninteresting man, saluted, and left quickly. Even though the king was known to heed his advisors councel from time to time, this particular man did not even dare to ask questions.

The shouts and shots had subsided, and the sun had sent on the first day of the year of the lord 1836 had set. King Carlo Alberto sat with some of his closest advisors.
"I believe we havt found the reason of this escalation," said one, Marco Sepanti, "its name is Mazzini. Giuseppe Mazzini."
Alberto frowned irritatedly. "Did we not banish that lout, even as one of our first actions?"
"Indeed you did, Your Majesty. But, as the saying goes, defeated enemies plan revenge, dead enemies gather dust." Sepanto looked through his notes, "it appears he has gone to Paris, and founded a group called... Giovine Italia."
"The we should demand the immediate execution of this insurgent from France!" another one said.
Sepanti shook his head smiling. "This would seem appropiate, but I think I have a better course of action. Why not use this movement to our advantage? These man demands a unified Italy. If you, Your Majesty, could take up that cause, it would increase your power tenfold."
"The Great Powers would never accept! These people do not only demand that the states of Italy unite, but also that Austria give us Lombardia and Venetia!"
Sepanti continued smiling, a gleam in his eyes. "We must prepare. We have only felt the first leaves being blown by a breeze. If we are strong when the storm begins, it may carry us to a new land..."

There was silence in the chamber for a few moments.

Carlo Alberto nodded. "Very well. We shall consider it."

Sepanti let out a reliefed sigh. "I thank you, Your Majesty. With your leave, I shall prepare a plan of the state of our proud country, the better to prepare us for this new age."

king_carlo_alberto.jpg
giuseppe_mazzini.jpg

Carlo Alberto (left) and Giuseppe Mazzini (right)

The Kingdom of Sardinia Piedmonte
i) Economy
Sardinia_Socio_1836new.jpg

Sardinia_Topo_1836.jpg

The kingdom's geographical situation is not ideal. It consists of the western part of the vast plains of the Po river. However, our border to our future enemies are quite short, and when the real struggle begins with Austria, they will have similar problems.
Sardinia_Eco_1836.jpg

Sardinia_Ind_1836.jpg
The economy runs smoothly at the moment. Notice the absence of the strategically important iron at this moment. However, once our campaigns begin, we plan to quickly take control of the iron mines of Parma and Modena. Also, our extensive arms industry is an excellent way to keep Sardinia independent of expensive imports in this matter, but proves to be less and less profitable. Some circles in our economic establishment have begun growing grapes and making wine. It is my hope that this will lead to bettering in our economical situation.

ii) Military
Sardinia_Army_1836.jpg
Our host is the mightiest in all Italy! Only the forces of the Two Sicilies can compare to our great armies and navies. Clearly, we shall not be defeated for lack of force of arms.

The chiefs of our armies suggest two basic plans for the extension of our holdings:

Plan A: Kingdom of Northern Italy
Sardinia_Plan_A_1836.jpg
The weak Italan states in the north will be easy to conquer. Their puny leaders have formed pacts of defense. However, the Two Sicilies are not part of that treaty system, their only involvement being a pact with the Papal States. However, according to our representatives in the kingdom, they will not interfere, should the pope decide to heed his guarantees to the other Italian states. Since Tuscany is our close ally, this should be an easy victory.

Plan B: Kingdom of Mauretania
Sardinia_Plan_B_1836.jpg
The small kingdoms of northern africa are even weaker, Your Majesty. We should show them the way of civilization, even though I do believe the fools will attempt to heed their heathen ways. A partnership with France seems possible, as the French are openly talking of supporting the Arabics of Northern Africa on their way to cilization.
However, quick action will be a requirement. Otherwise, the French will probably be undertaking this monumental task on their own...

Last edited:
Very interesting beginning. Nice mixture of narrative and action (or soon to be action ;) ). I look forward to seeing if you can hold of the Big White Blob in your attempt! :D

Very nice use of pics as well.

This is interesting. I like the German language screenshots - helps me brush up on my 2nd language!

zepp: how many languages can you speak? :)

btw, any tips on how to organize army in your russia AAR? After my annexation of china, it took me over 1/2 hours to send 1 native division to as many provinces of china as I can. In the end, I got about 2/3 of china's provinces covered, I decide to give up and just keep a couple larger native army group around to handle rebellion. Takes way way too long to sort out which division goes to which province.....

The Partitioning of Mauretania​

February 5th, 1836

Carlo Alberto stood on the bridge of the Regina, the Armata del Mare's flsgship. Behind him, the mighty Sardinian navy, three more frigates, about a dozen clippers, and an equal number of corvettes, plowed through the western mediterranean. To the south, the coast of Northern Africa. But the king had no eyes for such things. For just over the horizon, a ship was visible that caused him much more distress. It was a French corvette, the Patience. The ship had followed them since they had left the port of Genova.
But there was time for that later. With a click, he closed his binoculars. Tomorrow, the landing on the beach east of Algier would begin. His generals expected no opposition north of the town of Tlemcen several miles to the inland. Moslem forces had amassed on the plateau south of that point, but their primitive weapons could not oppose the host of Sardinia...

The End of Aldjazair
sardinia_End_of_Aldjazair.jpg

5 Juli, 1836

The Sardinian Army tracked through the endless Haute Plateau. For months they had marched through the area, raising the Sardinian flag at every village. The weak native forces had attacked them, but they had been utterly unable to damage the Sardinian troops. The terrain, and the resisters among the local population had take that part upon themselves.

Still, Carlo Alberto and his men longed for a change. That loomed on the horizon, but seeing as how it took the form of the French Tricolore, it was not exactly what they had hoped for...

bugeaud.jpg

Marshal Bugeaud, Duc d'Isly

The French and Sardinian divisions had finally met. In the shade of the Frenchmen's leaser's great and luxurious tent, King Carlo Alberto spoke with Mareshal Bugeaud, the French general. The latter could not help but be surprised that the king himself led the Sardinian troops, as in medieval times...
"Your Majesty, I am sure you understand the situation we find ourselves in, " d'Isly began. "With the recent revolts only just settled, your... expedition only serves to further upset the population."
Carlo Alberto leaned back in his seat. "I am sure a solution can be found." As much as he disliked it, the French forces in Algeria alone outnumbered his entire army.
The marshal nodded. "Excellent! France has legitimite claims on the Bey of Constantine's lands, as well as those of Nemencha to the south. As to this place here - surely you agree that it is worthless. I shall be happy to keep it under control for you. We shall leave you the mines of Tlemcen - a good compromise, non?"
Carlo Alberto sighed. There was no way he could alter the dictate of France. The only thing left to him was to try and save his face...

***​

The first part of Northern Africa's occupation had the form of a short and relatively unbloody war. Shortly after the landing of the Sardinian army, a French army of a grand total of six divisions launched an invasion of all Aldjazairian provinces that bordered the already accupied Algerian provinces. Despite a short-lived victory against the French near Aures, Nemencha was occupied Octobre. Almost all of Algeria was formally added to the "Grand Nation" on Decembre 17th, 1836. Only the region around the town of Tlemcen, and the western Atlas mountains were granted to the Sardinians. In the end, even though Sardinia was publically blamed for the outbreak of hostilities, in the backchambers of London France was ultimately seen as the imperialistic aggressor.

The End of Morocco
sardinia_End_of_Morroco.jpg

During the campaigns in Algeria, the Sardinian Army had made a less than stellar debut in its first major operation since the Napoleonic Wars. Lacking a doctrine of organization, the soldiers more or less tumbled through the countryside. That was enough to defeat a weak opponent like Aldjazair - but soon, it was planned that they would participate in campaigns in Europe itself.
Luckily, a solution was found. Sardinian diplomats travelling to Paris to formalize the treaty the king and the Duc d'Isly had crafted. There, they made the acquiantance of a distinguished Swiss citizen, a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars in the service of both France and Russia, Antoine Henri, Baron de Jomini. He agreed to train the Sardinian army in the insights he had gained during his campaigns, including the Russian desaster of the French "Grand Armée".

In accordance to his plans for a "Kingdom of Mauretania," the armies of Sardinia marched into Morrocco, beginning on February 25th. Again, the French were quick to react. The Morrocan army was even weaker than the one of Aldjazair, and the Sardinian-French alliance (their pact had been officially announcedon the First of Mai, 1837) quickly annexed the country. French dominance was once again clearly shown, when Sardinia had to be content with only an expansive but worthless stretch of land in the south.

In the homelands, not everything had been calm. Unrest caused by pro-Italian movements led to massive fights between nationalists and government forces on the island of Sardinia. A great deal of real estate was destroyed or confiscated, leaving much of the population impoverished. But the situation was even worse in the rest of Italy: Reactionary tendencies in the Two Sicilies led to a mass exodus of the intelligencia to Northern Italy, particularly Sardinia-Piedmont. Among them were many financial experts, which the government, led by Sepanti while the king was busy campaigning, welcomed with open arms. This eventually led to the opening of the first stock exchange on the entire peninsula in Torino on the 30th of January, 1837.

France, meanwhile, continued her engagement in the Arabic world. The Ottomans, worried by the quick fall of the Algerian realms, had undertaken massive reforms, and accepted the help of Prussian advisors. This resulted in a great increase of the Ottoman military capabilities. With Prussia covering their back, they felt strong enough to counter Egyptian expansion in Syria. The French immediately sized this opportunity, and sided with Egypt, declaring war on the Ottoman Empire! The Prussians, though they allied with the Ottomans, decided not to risk war with France, and did not intervene militarilly. Although Sardinia was, in the long run, dependent on the good graces of France, this was clearly out of their league. They decided to remain neutral for now, especially as the French did not even ask them for support. The 2nd Orient Crisis had begun.

[/AAR]

Thanks for the encouragement! I fear this update isn't very interesting... but I was quite surprised when the French declared war on Morrocco... they normally leave it for the others to conquer, for now :(.

@coz1: The problem with Sardinia is that their dependant on French support... I just hope that their strong enough (and motivated :D) when the time comes!

@Zeppelin: Just be careful, I installed VIP over the German version, resulting in a messy conglomerate of languages :D. Something I'll correct when I come around to do it... ;)

Blitz - One. With a dictionary I can pretend I'm fluent in German. I left a native division in every Chinese province to quell revolt; this obviates the need to organize and reorganize my army and natives are more or less worthless Vs. European troops anyways.

Asharak - Shame the Frenchies beat you to the better African provinces. Don;t let that happen in the Italian Wars ;) Good luck, always like to see an Italy.

Excelent start Asharak. And Ive got to say those arrows are really cool.

Time and more territory will hopefully get you out from under the French. Nice start in North Africa.

Sure you cover of glory the sardinia piemonte and Italy when it came

te lo dico da Italiano (I say it as Italian Person) :)

Lord Asharak said:
Oh, and I have no Photoship :eek: :(, se expect no fancy moving pictures or something like that...

Photoshop? Bah. Real men have no need for such frivolities. All you need is MS Paint, a crude pointing stick, and the Will to succeed! :cool:

The flags in your maps are a most excellent idea. I might just very well steal it! All in all, a great start, pulled off quite professionally.

EDIT: Wow, this AAR is old! :eek: Sorry about that.

Last edited: