The Paradoxian Federation – Aurora Forum Game II, run by Rendap.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I will therefore call it a day on the Paradoxian Federation and pass on the baton to any other interested party to continue the Aurora Games here.

Good game, Rendap.

If we don't go multi-player, we should at least consider running a Succession game... each interested player could run the game for a year, and then pass the save on to the next player.

... We could even consider holding "elections" for the post of Autocrat of Earth, where the non-playing forum members could vote on the next Supreme Ruler.

Good game, Rendap.

If we don't go multi-player, we should at least consider running a Succession game... each interested player could run the game for a year, and then pass the save on to the next player.

... We could even consider holding "elections" for the post of Autocrat of Earth, where the non-playing forum members could vote on the next Supreme Ruler.

Roman Republic theme. Do it.

And yes, good game :) But it seems the world isn't ready for Kiwi as haed of the navy yet... So close, yet so far.

Thanks for all the good work :)

We will prevail!

That's too bad. I didn't post here much but I enjoyed the read.

I hope to see a new Aurora game soon :D

Nice AAR and well done, sad to miss the read.

Good game, Rendap.

Thanks for the kind words!

And yes, good game :) But it seems the world isn't ready for Kiwi as haed of the navy yet... So close, yet so far.

I got my new computer on Monday and it "looks" like it will be able to handle multiple empires. I will be playing a bit with it over the coming weeks to see what can be done. If it can, I have some ideas to how to get it started and background story, but wan't to get input from some players to how to organize things.

If it is not possible, I think that the idea of either a succession game or a highly interactive game with voting for the next suppreme ruler would be great! Voting for a 1 year period and during that year, that person would be responsible for giving the orders that arranges research (including allocation of labs), production, Civilian shipping/colonization etc.

Something to think off in the Succession game would be the size of the database though and the fact that it overwrites current databases. That might make it unfeasible to do it this way.

Something to think off in the Succession game would be the size of the database though and the fact that it overwrites current databases. That might make it unfeasible to do it this way.

Multiple installs work fine. I have three installs of HOI-3 and four of Aurora on my current machine. That keeps the databases seperate, preventing over-writes.

I'd be interested in this, would take some brainstorming to figure out a method that would work. You could try voting for policies, eg. spending x% of the budget on ships, x% on tech, x% on colonising and have a few presets so people could vote on those, as well as a second vote to be made at the same time which would be more like "colonise system x over y".

Might have to run 2 threads with it just to keep voting and the actual RP separate, though.

Looks like a Roman Republic Style would be the most interesting and probably also the best progression wise. With that in mind, I'll throw some ideas around I'd like you to consider:

1: Which background? Looking at the Aurora settings, I'll accept the following starts: Deutschland, France, Italia, Terran Federation, UK and US. Whichever is chosen defines the ranks etc. of the new game.

2: Commander Themes? I would go with the one chosen from the above 5 (Terran don't have their own group) and add additional Themes.

3: A separation of Council and Navy matters.

Various thoughts on this:

Council votes on the President and VP once per year (1/1). Councilor with most votes becomes President, Second VP. If there's a tie, Senior Officer of the Navy vote breaks the tie. President and VP are roles in addition to any other roles which are active (naval officer, scientist, governor etc.)
Member Alliances can happen. If so, I can include in Roleplay, but nothing else from my side - You can use it as needed.
All councilors can propose new bills - This is done by writing to GM with proposal either in thread or by PM. All participants is automatically member of the council, regardless other roles.
Proposals can be regarding:

Industry (construction, allocation, (de)activation)
Mining (where to place Mining Colonies - Number of mines etc)
Shipyards (Construction and Expansion of Shipyards - Naming - Construction for the navy)
Terraforming Strategy
Research Strategy, to be enforced by the President, including selection of research projects and allocation of labs.
Creation and use of teams.
Construction of Ground Units.
Colonization Strategies.
PDc constructions and General Strategy.
Diplomacy*
"Civilian Shipping" (Council specified tasks for our Civilian Ships)
New "General Ship Designs" (not specific designs, but generic like "Design a Freighter capable of carrying 10 Automatic Mines over 50bio km".

The CO of the navy is the Senior Officer (participants only). He holds the title of Commander, Fleet HQ and don't have any direct command besides that.
His Staff will have various tasks, which the Commander can overrule on a general level (Size of TF, but not which ships etc):
Fighter Ops: Request Fighter Upgrades and Construction.
Logistics: Request Missile Research and Construction - Also responsible for allocation of Tankers, Colliers and Maintenance.
Operations: Responsible for assigning individual ships to naval tasks (system pickets, Task Groups etc.)
Survey: Responsible for assigning Survey Ships. Can request new/more survey vessels.

4: Diplomacy - Instead of starting with the countries of Earth united, we can start with a "smaller" portion (like Germany or South America) and the population of that country / those countries and then have diplomatic teams "work" on getting other countries to join. When they join, I'll add additional population, industry, facilities and bonusses based on various factors I'll set up. For instance getting Denmark to join could add a Civilian Shipyard to represent the large shipping lines from Denmark while getting Saudia Arabia to join could add Fuel Refineries etc.

It will still be some time before start, since I want 5.70 out first.

In general, I like it. But can counsellors participate without wanting to be the player? I don't want to risk accidently being elected.

Theme wise, what are the titles like for each? We can inferr in broad strokes about everything but Terran Federation I think.

For instance, if we were French theme would we have titles like Emperor and Consul, or Roi and Duc, or President and Premier?

In general, I like it. But can counsellors participate without wanting to be the player? I don't want to risk accidently being elected.

Theme wise, what are the titles like for each? We can inferr in broad strokes about everything but Terran Federation I think.

For instance, if we were French theme would we have titles like Emperor and Consul, or Roi and Duc, or President and Premier?

The titles are only used for Naval and Army officers. No additional titles are in the game. Regardless of the language, it is called Civilian Administrators and Scientists.

And depending on which start country we go for, the president title can be decided. It would not make sense to have a Italian Theme and the leader being called Kanzler. Consul or Presidente would be better in that regard.

And if Councilors don't want to be elected president, then of course they should not be elected. But some participation from scientists and govenors than before would be nice... :) If no participation, the Central Administration will just take over as I did in this one.

I like this idea. It seems that it would move kind of slow unless people are constantly participating.

I also think elections should be held once every 3 or 4 years, just so were not constantly voting on them.

I vote for Consul and Senators as the titles for the top administrator and the players. Although I agree with Kingepyon that a slightly longer term might be in order.

The titles are only used for Naval and Army officers. No additional titles are in the game. Regardless of the language, it is called Civilian Administrators and Scientists.

And depending on which start country we go for, the president title can be decided. It would not make sense to have a Italian Theme and the leader being called Kanzler. Consul or Presidente would be better in that regard.

And if Councilors don't want to be elected president, then of course they should not be elected. But some participation from scientists and govenors than before would be nice... :) If no participation, the Central Administration will just take over as I did in this one.

And, of course, we can always customize that as well. If we really wanted, we could also come up with our own rank names for every single position and effectively bypass the themes, but that would likely be overkill. For randomly-generated names for the people, we can also pick our secondary themes with weighted percentages up to 100%, too, so we don't even need to worry about that as far as the titles are concerned (if we want an army of Russians and Chinese with French ranks, we can do it).

Roman-style Republic, naturally, including Consul and Senate. One thing that might be interesting, and help in cases of inactivity by individual users, might be to make a Triumvirate or Troika (sorry, no Russian) rather than a single Consul at the head, perhaps representing the trifecta of Military, Industry, and Technology, or alternately representing governing bodies of the people, nations, and either the military or a civilian bureaucracy of Earth. That way, conflict goes right to the top, and you have to have at least two of the three supporting in addition to a congressional vote.

I like the idea of the Roman Republic as the general theme.

Can I make a suggestion on the setup though? Can we make the starting population 5 billion, or at least 1 billion? The super-low starting population of homeworlds bugs me. The default is what, .5 billion? In other words, 1/14th of the present world population. Anything serious enough to kill that much of the world would destroy our ability to launch spacecraft.

It might need some tweaking, so that you don't get absurd starting industries, since I believe they scale by default.

I like the general idea for the AAR's reencarnation. Like others said, the terms should be a bit longer (5 years?) or we'd be in a permanent campaign, also what Deaghaidh said about the starting population, we'd need at least 3/4 Billions to make it all sound plausible

I like the idea of the Roman Republic as the general theme.

Can I make a suggestion on the setup though? Can we make the starting population 5 billion, or at least 1 billion? The super-low starting population of homeworlds bugs me. The default is what, .5 billion? In other words, 1/14th of the present world population. Anything serious enough to kill that much of the world would destroy our ability to launch spacecraft.

It might need some tweaking, so that you don't get absurd starting industries, since I believe they scale by default.

I like the general idea for the AAR's reencarnation. Like others said, the terms should be a bit longer (5 years?) or we'd be in a permanent campaign, also what Deaghaidh said about the starting population, we'd need at least 3/4 Billions to make it all sound plausible

With regards to Population, I plan to start with a "low" population and as the Diplomatic efforts "convinces" the remaining countries on Earth to join, I'll SM the Population and Installations from that country. That would mean when all countries have joined, we'll end up around 5 bill with at least some industry. Advantage would also be to have some fairly large mineral deposits.

And Roman Republic style will be the way to go, since basically all want that.. :) - Now you should start considering which country to start as so I can come up with a plausible story.

With regards to the president election, I think that 4 years would be too long for this format. Lots of things can happen in 4 years, but a "compromise":

Presidential Elections take place every 2 years and a President can only be re-elected for 2 terms in a row. Then a new president needs to be in office for at least 1 term before the original President can be elected again.

Hmm.

Let's pick something very small and incredibly unlikely to get into space first, but at least somewhat westernized.
How about Denmark? Or Belgium?

Small, and unlikely?

Switzerland. Added benefit of being a decentralized Republic, justifying our government type, and close enough to Rome to look to it for inspiration.

For background story: In the near future, there's some sort of global catastrophe (or cluster of catastrophes) that weakens and destabilizes most of the world. As traditional governments fail to adapt, a cabal of powerful people worldwide forms a shadow government, based in Switzerland (as that's where their money is stashed and the shell companies that own the world are based out of). This secret society is called the Paradox, because the only way to save civilization and restore stability is by undermining, destabilizing, and replacing the tottering institutions of the world. We meet in secret, puppeteering the world through our various power bases in the media, financial markets, religious institutions, etc. We pursue a future in space in order to solve the world's increasing resource problems and as an outlet for our mushrooming population. Eventually we go public and the world hails us as heroes and saviors. They never realize we helped create/ worsen some of the problems we then solve.

Since we're into possible settings, I'd like to point out the 1983: Doomsday alt history here.

A quick rundouwn: WWIII exploded in Sept '83 after a glitch in the Soviet defence system (the glitch ocurred actually, only that the technician looking at the screen realized it was a computer error, not hundreds of American ICBMs). Now, after the dust settled the ANZACs, a United South America and a rump USSR are the mayor powers, there's even a global space agency of sorts runned by a revamped UN

Hmm.

Let's pick something very small and incredibly unlikely to get into space first, but at least somewhat westernized.
How about Denmark? Or Belgium?

Denmark or Belgium...... Both are interesting choices, but small as you say.

ITALY!

For the obvious reasons.

GB would be fun as well. Redcoats in space. Though after seeing Star Trek, they may reconsider the red.

Both would be interesting choices as well. Redcoats in space as well as the Royal Navy..... Or a Mafia Themed Italian game....

Small, and unlikely?

Switzerland. Added benefit of being a decentralized Republic, justifying our government type, and close enough to Rome to look to it for inspiration.

For background story: In the near future, there's some sort of global catastrophe (or cluster of catastrophes) that weakens and destabilizes most of the world. As traditional governments fail to adapt, a cabal of powerful people worldwide forms a shadow government, based in Switzerland (as that's where their money is stashed and the shell companies that own the world are based out of). This secret society is called the Paradox, because the only way to save civilization and restore stability is by undermining, destabilizing, and replacing the tottering institutions of the world. We meet in secret, puppeteering the world through our various power bases in the media, financial markets, religious institutions, etc. We pursue a future in space in order to solve the world's increasing resource problems and as an outlet for our mushrooming population. Eventually we go public and the world hails us as heroes and saviors. They never realize we helped create/ worsen some of the problems we then solve.

Switzerland is an very interesting choice. In addition to a background story like this, we also have the CERN accelerator which I'd considered adding as a research lab for TN technology.

Since we're into possible settings, I'd like to point out the 1983: Doomsday alt history here.

A quick rundouwn: WWIII exploded in Sept '83 after a glitch in the Soviet defence system (the glitch ocurred actually, only that the technician looking at the screen realized it was a computer error, not hundreds of American ICBMs). Now, after the dust settled the ANZACs, a United South America and a rump USSR are the mayor powers, there's even a global space agency of sorts runned by a revamped UN

Of the 4 suggestions, this is the one that I like the least, gameplay wise. If we use something like this, I think that we need to add in some radiation etc. to simulate a global nuclear war and I'm not fond about that. Having said that, I would not rule out that I'll steal the idea for a homegame... :)

Some of the ideas I've been looking at so far as well:

The Fourth Reich - Germany in Space with Diplomacy.
Scandinavian Steel - Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland working together Viking style.
Commonwealth - UK themed game based on the Commonwealth.
Samurai's in Space - Japan going to Space.
Australian Aboriginals - Educated Aboriginals spreading their way of life to the planet and stars.

Probably some more ideas when I start looking more at things...