• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And you know what else? If you buy the code from us we'll let you redeem that code on Steam, GG, Impulse, wherever - why not? It's the least we can do when you're supporting us directly.

It will also allow us to do other nifty stuff like giving away free EU 3 DLC to those who've registered, say all EU products thus far.

/s

This thread just did a 180 degree turnaround in the bad mood category :)

You guys/galls should accelerate your timetable, I ain't getting any younger.

Has Paradox ever thought of having a "Steam like" distribution system that is run by them? Or does the infrastructure requirements make it not possible. Wouldn't it give Paradox a high profit margin if they could distribute their games directly?

Paradox owned GamersGate and IIRC Fredrik Wester still own some (small) % of it.

Yes!

Ideally we'd like to sell you our games directly from our own site/service, ie letting you support us even more instead of other companies. Games sold via that service that have the option to:

• Activate online
  • Autoupdate

These would be optional -so if you're an old non-steam fart (yes I went there) you'll have the option to avoid all those shenanigans and do it like it's 1995 - but if you do want the autoupdates and the online activation we'll reward you for it.

See, we think that positive behaviour should be rewarded and reinforced. So if you agree to letting us validate your copy and let your game auto-update we'll throw in a couple of DLC's for free.

This system is in the very early planning stages - Paradox Connect is the embryo.

/s

Ahh, why not just say this in the beginning? Johan's answers had me worried that Paradox was becoming steam only.

Yes!

Ideally we'd like to sell you our games directly from our own site/service, ie letting you support us even more instead of other companies. Games sold via that service that have the option to:

• Activate online
  • Autoupdate

These would be optional -so if you're an old non-steam fart (yes I went there) you'll have the option to avoid all those shenanigans and do it like it's 1995 - but if you do want the autoupdates and the online activation we'll reward you for it.

See, we think that positive behaviour should be rewarded and reinforced. So if you agree to letting us validate your copy and let your game auto-update we'll throw in a couple of DLC's for free.

This system is in the very early planning stages - Paradox Connect is the embryo.

/s

I've got no problems with Steam, but this sounds awesome. I'd much rather give my money directly to you guys.

Can you please tell us what bad things about steam are?

Steam is a strange animal in that many people have problems with it, and many do not. Neither side can understand the other, because the experience is so different.
It sounds like you, Johan, have never had a problem with steam. So it is fine for you.

I, on the other hand, have had so many problems with steam that I will not buy a game that forces me to use steam. These range from steam refusing to recognize my account, unsatsifactory responses from steam tech support, games being unabailable sporadically, advertising I do not want to see when loading games, having to wait long times when steam updates, or when a game updates, the DRM, and many other annoyances, which often make me work to even get to the game, as well as the feeling that I do not really own the game, I can only use it when steam lets me. Sometimes, everyting workd fine, but often it does not. And I never know what is going to happen That alone makes me reluctant to even load a steam game.

On the other hand, Gamersgate is just about perfect now, and I love using it. Once I have downloaded a game from Gamersgate, all I have to do is load it, and it works. And it is far less instusive than steam, and never gives me problems.

I do understand that it is very timeconsuming to do patches, etc, for multiple plantforms. Now I can understand the biggest chunk of people who buy your games now are from steam, but there are still many of us who do not and will not. So, do you still want us or not?

I was going to buy this fame as soon as it came out, but as others have said, not if I have to use steam.. That goes for all future games, as well . And, as you can see, I have been a pretty decent customer.

Ahh, why not just say this in the beginning? Johan's answers had me worried that Paradox was becoming steam only.
Indeed. I can live without SotS2 and Magicka, but if you even hint that the main franchises (Rome, CK, EU, Victoria, HOI) will be Steam-only, of course some of us will panic.

So we'd get "rewards" for auto-updating? Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly is the customer using auto-updating beneficial to the company? (Support costs aside, but considering how Paradox essentially handles almost all of their support in forums in which other users answer half the questions, I can't imagine it being a very significant portion of the company's budget)

Personally I like not auto-updating so that I can play my favorite mods until they're compatible with the new update.

... Mostly I really like how you do business and treat your customers....
...It's the least we can do when you're supporting us directly....
and here is a perfect example of why I completely agree with SAS and support you guys (sometimes buy buying a game or two that I won't even really ever play). I feel the same way about GG (their customer support has been amazing from my experience) and its the same reason I am wary of Steam (generic bot responses anyone?).

Anyways, it's the passion that I like and enjoy and support. So Thank you PDox for it.

And again, gota agree with SAS when he says:
This thread just did a 180 degree turnaround in the bad mood category :) ...

Thanks Shams for keeping us old farts in your thoughts :p

• Activate online
  • Autoupdate

Shams, now we're talking here. :p

I would gladly support this mechanic. You can go DRM-free (but have to pay for the DLCs or whatever extra content you were giving away) or you can DRMize your game and get the extra content. Also, it's optional, so points for treating us as adults!

Plus, you can activate your first installation, and opt not the second, third... in the years to come (I'm thinking about DRM obsolescence here).

I certainly would purchase every game I'm interested in through this store. My wallet votes "yes". :cool:

PS: Maybe you could talk Cirulis into releasing SotS2 this way in the future. I would gladly pay again only for this "DRM is optional" feature.

The Kerberos guys wanted to do a non-steam - but getting everything ready for release meant choices had to be made. Unless there's a 5000 man strong petition for a non-steam version it's not likely to happen.

Glad to see people like the concept - full steam ahead! ;)

/s

Steam is a strange animal in that many people have problems with it, and many do not. Neither side can understand the other, because the experience is so different.
It sounds like you, Johan, have never had a problem with steam. So it is fine for you.

I, on the other hand, have had so many problems with steam that I will not buy a game that forces me to use steam. These range from steam refusing to recognize my account, unsatsifactory responses from steam tech support, games being unabailable sporadically, advertising I do not want to see when loading games, having to wait long times when steam updates, or when a game updates, the DRM, and many other annoyances, which often make me work to even get to the game, as well as the feeling that I do not really own the game, I can only use it when steam lets me. Sometimes, everyting workd fine, but often it does not. And I never know what is going to happen That alone makes me reluctant to even load a steam game.

On the other hand, Gamersgate is just about perfect now, and I love using it. Once I have downloaded a game from Gamersgate, all I have to do is load it, and it works. And it is far less instusive than steam, and never gives me problems.

I do understand that it is very timeconsuming to do patches, etc, for multiple plantforms. Now I can understand the biggest chunk of people who buy your games now are from steam, but there are still many of us who do not and will not. So, do you still want us or not?

I was going to buy this fame as soon as it came out, but as others have said, not if I have to use steam.. That goes for all future games, as well . And, as you can see, I have been a pretty decent customer.

They said they don't care that we don't buy their steam based games, there is not enough of us for them to care. That is your answer.

Edit: Sham'ed

On a slightly different matter, the reason for justifying SotS2 being steam-only was the cost of integration with each portal's client and subsequent maintenance.

However, I think a totally vanilla version of the game (that is, compiled with all the client integration disabled) would be relatively easy to maintain, and that will be enough to sell through GamersGate (or similar sites) which don't require client integration.

Am I wrong? Could it be done? Can you convince Kerberos to do it? :blush:

The Kerberos guys wanted to do a non-steam - but getting everything ready for release meant choices had to be made. Unless there's a 5000 man strong petition for a non-steam version it's not likely to happen.

Glad to see people like the concept - full steam ahead! ;)

/s

Hey Shams, just wanted you to know that I started up the The Non-Steam Version Request - Sign Here If You Want It [1 post/person] thread. It uses your quote so I wanted you to be aware. If you want to add something to the first post, such as clarification or even just to say it's not possible, just PM me and I'll edit it to include what you want to say.

Also, it's more a fun exercise, so don't take it as an aggressive act or anything. Cool? Enjoy.

Just jumped in to say... I once was a vehement steam hater and avoided it, now i have many games on steam, and no problems with them normally.
For me it evolved from a "DRM-thing", to an "community platform where collecting games digitally is easy and that also has great deals".

Just jumped in to say... I once was a vehement steam hater and avoided it, now i have many games on steam, and no problems with them normally.
For me it evolved from a "DRM-thing", to an "community platform where collecting games digitally is easy and that also has great deals".

You've restored my faith in humanity singelhandedly. kudos.

/s

If I'm understanding correctly and the steam client doesn't need to be running to play, just download and update I have alot less problems with that and will probably buy. From GG of course.
Sorry if I gave you a hard time.:blush:

Last edited:
If I'm understanding correctly and the steam client doesn't need to be running to play, just download and update I have alot less problems with that and will probably buy. From GG of course.

That would be acceptable for me too i guess. I really hope that's what it is.

But if the steam client needs to be running, which means that i have to ask permission to steam before i lauch any of my games, that's a NO GO.
And to show that we're not necessarly old farts, from what i've read on many forum about forced steam (skyrim, Civ V), the hatred is not about digital download or one time online activation. it's about the fact that you don't own your game, it's a rental, and all your game are tied to one account. And any mishap with the steam client or with your account can deprive you access to all of your games. Even if the probability of this happening is very low, the very principal behind all this is unacceptable for many.

And you know what else? If you buy the code from us we'll let you redeem that code on Steam, GG, Impulse, wherever - why not? It's the least we can do when you're supporting us directly.

It will also allow us to do other nifty stuff like giving away free EU 3 DLC to those who've registered, say all EU products thus far.

/s

Shams, thanks for your input.

Can i just say it's ironic you had Gamersgate, gave it it's independance... and are going towards making a new plateform :p

Anyways, it will be a no brainer for me : i've remained an all-Gamersgate since the start, but will shift to your platform immediatly.

Although, instead of getting a code to redeem on another plateform, i'd rather be able to get the games i bought there to your plateform (once it's up of course).

Can you please tell us what bad things about steam are?

Don't what to insist on the previous debate (you know where my allegiance currently lies, and that's all there is to it) but all the MEIOU players who bought Divine Wind/Chronicles from Steam have problems. So i guess there is something that is still needed there for the moddir.

Status
Not open for further replies.