• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now I am jealous, you've only gone and made Italy dangly bits and all:)

From what I remember of the manual there is a direct link between the number of rail lines and your rail pool. To me it looks like you've added 1 point per built railroad.

Telecommunications decision does indeed look useful which technology did it become available with?

As you seem to be swimming in state funds it might be useful to start building a couple of new shipyards for the prestige gain. If you have something like 1300 turns remaining over the long term 2 new shipyards would net you 5200 prestige points on there own. (Just started this in my game). I'm not sure if it is worth continually worsening relations with Austria after you get them over -25 (and therefore considered to be hostile) as it is costing you 50 prestige points every time you hurl insults at them (might have some hidden bearing though on likleyhood of a crises which I guess is why you are doing it).

Looking forward to seeing what I have to look forward to!

Rattazzi? Seriously? A man whose name conjures an unholy hybrid of rat and paparazzi? His facial hair isn't quite up to his predecessor's standards, but then he does have a pince-nez or even a monocle, so he gets points for that.

So, you're exploring the flora in Yemen - isn't that a major producer of opium? Coincidence? I don't think so...

Oh, and this:

I blame that on trying to comment past my bedtime on an iPad with a 'God-I-hate-this' virtual keyboard. I certainly did not mean any offense to your antipodean cousins. :)

well its not that I am adverse to insulting Australians, just this is no longer Ming China and my global interests are much more confined

and I agree the eye piece just about compensates for the lack of face fungus ...

Just read this start to finish and will be shamelessly stealing many of your ideas for my game as France!!! Thanks for an excellent AAR :)

glad its useful. My logic to doing it was to demystify (not least for me) the industrial side of PoN, I think I now have some idea how the economy slots together and can be developed. Glad you are enjoying it.

Now I am jealous, you've only gone and made Italy dangly bits and all:)

From what I remember of the manual there is a direct link between the number of rail lines and your rail pool. To me it looks like you've added 1 point per built railroad.

Telecommunications decision does indeed look useful which technology did it become available with?

As you seem to be swimming in state funds it might be useful to start building a couple of new shipyards for the prestige gain. If you have something like 1300 turns remaining over the long term 2 new shipyards would net you 5200 prestige points on there own. (Just started this in my game). I'm not sure if it is worth continually worsening relations with Austria after you get them over -25 (and therefore considered to be hostile) as it is costing you 50 prestige points every time you hurl insults at them (might have some hidden bearing though on likleyhood of a crises which I guess is why you are doing it).

Looking forward to seeing what I have to look forward to!

re telecoms, I'm now not sure, but is really useful post-unification at developing the rest of the country. There is a similar one for building sewers with similar effects that I get in a couple of years time.

hadn't realised that about Austria, does partly explain why my prestige is not really improving. I'll stop doing that from now on.

I have 2 shipyards (both usually loss making) so that is enough. I'm actually content at this stage to stockpile cash and capital for when I will need it (ie post-unification)

Makes sense about the rail pool, maybe another good reason to build them outside your own country too.

July-December 1862, Belgium is more prestigious than me ...

So with things a bit stalled in Italy, my attention wandered to matters of Colonial gains.

Anyway, standard reports

Manufactured Goods and Other Economic Events

As you can see, my actual output was pretty steady across this period, I closed a few sites down at the end as the stockpiles were building up.

Non-Manufactured

Only thing to note here is I have rather overdone the wine sales against wine production. Easy to compensate for though. Other than that, I'm holding most stocks steady.

Replacements

Not much to say here. Steadily building up my reserve of unallocated manpower so I might be able to expand the current army or to absorb the cost of a major upgrade.

The Happy People list

Well they mostly are ...

Diplomacy

This shows the end of December position only. Well not much has happened to change the overall trends.

Events

Well the chance to do even more telecommunication stuff comes up. This means I can now have 4 such decisions in play at any one time.

Note that each time it is played, it reduces the revolt chance (not militancy), increase the development level (ie more efficient production) and increase the population pro-rata (ie more potential consumers and workers).

And Sicily seems to have rebelled, this is a mystery that will be solved in a couple of years time

Anyway, to increase my colonial activities I decide to build a prospecting unit. This has to be built in Italy and shipped to where I want it. If I understand properly this one increases the chance of resources being discovered (at the moment a lot of provinces in say Ethiopia are shown as having no resources)

I find I can build a new trading post, and in a province that does coffee.

Later on some earlier colonial decisions yield more prestige

And its time to ship my prospectors off to Africa

Not that it really moves my colonial control very much

Diplomatically I find out that Austria and Prussia are still on a major love fest

No doubt this will lead to dodgy self-serving 1-1 draws in the future, but at the moment it makes a war to gain Lombardy a bit foolish.

Overall my economy is now pretty powerful

This is compared to 1649 at the start of the game, so I've managed a major economic expansion.

But prestige is still not my strong point

Now I've since realised I should have stopped insulting the Austrians as that was costing me prestige, but Belgium ... I'm sorry but ... I mean the wonderful Dani Klein is not even born yet. Now that does hurt.

Excellent reference to the 1982 world cup - blatant and shameful.

I really have to thank you for this AAR loki. It's really given me a much better handle on PoN, which I have found really overwhelming every time I have tried it.

loki100 said:
And Sicily seems to have rebelled, this is a mystery that will be solved in a couple of years time
Garry, is that you?!

Solid work and (potentially) exciting colonial action! It is a shame that, after all your diligent work and steady growth, you're currently considered out-Major-Powered by Belgium. Well, we'll see who has the last laugh when circa 1914 comes round. ;)

Economy is looking good.

I was wondering if your army support costs had risen as drastically as mine with the building of your new trade fleets. The state funds required per turn has recently shot up from 23 to 40 (the army has had only a few support units attached to it)?

Can't wait to see what you get up to with a unified Italy maybe you can invade Belgium:)?

Excellent reference to the 1982 world cup - blatant and shameful.

yep, there have been a few other stictch ups but that one was beyond shame. So glad that Italy did them in the final, esp after the German performance in the semis. I was living in Rome at the time, and it was a wee bit lively

I really have to thank you for this AAR loki. It's really given me a much better handle on PoN, which I have found really overwhelming every time I have tried it.

Glad about that. My basic goal was not to offer up a particularly subtle or brilliant bit of gameplay but to get the basics of the economic model sorted out. I think I'd now have the confidence to try one of the more interesting states. One problem with PoN is it is a very good simulation of the 19 Century, and that means as one of the smaller powers, there really isn't a huge amount you can do at times.

Garry, is that you?!

Solid work and (potentially) exciting colonial action! It is a shame that, after all your diligent work and steady growth, you're currently considered out-Major-Powered by Belgium. Well, we'll see who has the last laugh when circa 1914 comes round. ;)

it is indeed, Mr Baldi, now I thought he was meant to give it to me?

At least the Belgian embarrasment is ended in the next update. Not sure what had happened to suddenly put them onto the list.

Economy is looking good.

I was wondering if your army support costs had risen as drastically as mine with the building of your new trade fleets. The state funds required per turn has recently shot up from 23 to 40 (the army has had only a few support units attached to it)?

Can't wait to see what you get up to with a unified Italy maybe you can invade Belgium:)?

Not especially, I think its about 30-35, so its not something I am really taking note of as I can absorb the cost easy enough.

Yes Belgium must pay ... I mean that was so indicative of my (lack of) progress

January-June 1863, its quiet ... too quiet

So 1863 rolls around. Still hoping for an Austrian suicide mission but I suspect its more a case of picking up Italy by the alternative route. One thing I suspect is that way I get to keep Nice and Savoy. I do like Tomme de Savoie so there is that advantage. In truth so little happened, except adding another bit of railroad in southern Italy, I've conflated the reports to the minimum.

Manufactured Goods

Non Manufactured

Replacements

Happy People

Events

More gold, not that they will agree to sell it to me

My fleet on its way back is in need of the chance to recover organisation. So I decide to stop it off at a French owned port.

Another change of leader. Well this one looks the part too. Hope he stops being beastly to Garibaldi (if, that is, I can find Garibaldi)

The Schleswig-Holstein question is asked again. I thought someone had already answered it?

Prestige

So really nothing too much happened there. Some ongoing scientific investigations of Ethiopia, and a pretty steady state economy. Sorry about the short update, but it was a case of checking a few small bits and clicking the turn processing button.

More gold, not that they will agree to sell it to me

Not sure if this is relevant or not but I think you posted that your maritime tax rate was set at 12% this might be affecting your competiveness when it comes to buying over subscribed products like gold. I believe that the AI uses the lower tax rate (or at least gives an increased chance) to decide which nation it will sell the goods to. The other thing you could try is doubling (or tripling) up merchant fleets as the highest merchant rating in the trade box has a better chance of getting the goods.

There is definately a lot of nothing to do when you play SP!

The mighty Belgium... Deposed from the Great Power ranks by Japan. Pre-Meji-Restoration (if I can trust history to be accurate). And S-P still nowhere to be found... Well, I'll give you this: a bunch of Katana-wielding, screaming Samurai do strike more fear into the average person than your elite marines (with their oh so fetching hats), so perhaps it's all a matter of perception. :)

A question from the last screenshot: do you have any idea how the two countries best at killing their own countrymen at the field of battle (China, by far, followed by a distant USA) also manage to have morale that's head and shoulders (and torso and legs...) above everybody else's? Shouldn't those bloodbaths results in lower national morale, rather than higher?

Not sure if this is relevant or not but I think you posted that your maritime tax rate was set at 12% this might be affecting your competiveness when it comes to buying over subscribed products like gold. I believe that the AI uses the lower tax rate (or at least gives an increased chance) to decide which nation it will sell the goods to. The other thing you could try is doubling (or tripling) up merchant fleets as the highest merchant rating in the trade box has a better chance of getting the goods.

There is definately a lot of nothing to do when you play SP!

Ah, hadn't realised that part of the effect, its one of the taxes I tend to put up when I need cash as it has no impact on population happiness. In the next update I'll show the very real advantage to lowering your tariffs as well.

The gold isn't being sold to anyone, but I end up paying extra to get some from Columbia which helps a bit

The mighty Belgium... Deposed from the Great Power ranks by Japan. Pre-Meji-Restoration (if I can trust history to be accurate). And S-P still nowhere to be found... Well, I'll give you this: a bunch of Katana-wielding, screaming Samurai do strike more fear into the average person than your elite marines (with their oh so fetching hats), so perhaps it's all a matter of perception. :)

A question from the last screenshot: do you have any idea how the two countries best at killing their own countrymen at the field of battle (China, by far, followed by a distant USA) also manage to have morale that's head and shoulders (and torso and legs...) above everybody else's? Shouldn't those bloodbaths results in lower national morale, rather than higher?

Aye, at least the shame of publicly lagging behind Belgium is no longer on show.

You gain NM for killing enemy units and taking provinces, so oddly I guess in both cases their NM reflects their recent sucesses in their respective civil wars.

... ok, this maybe the last update for a few weeks (I'm off climbing in the area between Piedmont and Savoie - Gran Paradiso - after the weekend for about 15 days). I may put up another post tomorrow as I can then report on Sardinia-Piedmont's very first battle, with anyone, anywhere.

July-December 1863: Everyone (I mean everyone) loves me

So my small kingdom continues to develop while the rest of Italy remains un-unified. Externally I briefly become the favourite of the entire globe, which is nice but not really what I want.

Anyway, here’s the standard reports and a promise. The next report will feature a real live battle report. Yes Sardinia-Piedmont is going to engage in warfare …

Manufactured Goods and Major Economic Events

(not much to say)

(manufacturing static across the period)

(an exciting new report – my tax rates)

Non-Manufactures

(I’ve not shown all the ‘tradepost has shipped’ messages but as you can see I am starting to receive some useful items)

Replacements

(not much here, have a decent stock of reserve companies but still cannot build very much of any power)

Happy people

(slight rise in grumpiness as I was a bit behind on enacting reforms)

Diplomacy

(this shows the end position and is downright weird. I mean the world, apart from Austria, is in love with me. I think it was as I’d reduced my tariffs as I am fairly cash rich at the moment)

Yep, everyone ended up liking me. I think it was as I had lowered my tariffs quite substantially.

The laid back Mr Minghetti becomes PM

And the Greeks want to make use of my high class (and under-used) shipyards

Suits me

And I discover another of the demand increasing technologies

(shows the new demand levels)

(I’ve selected one item from each of the goods ‘classes’ so you can see how much of the new demand I can meet)

The only problem is the luxury goods aspect where I am very reliant on those random events.

Since I am relatively well off, I am investing quite heavily in research at the moment.

(the lines showing in orange I am investing extra in – essentially trying to modernise the army if I can)

Austria and Prussia still really really like each other

Progress, well non-progress

Just noticed that Great Britain has obtained twice the prestige of the second place USA dosn't that mean they have won and game over? Is there an option to disable this victory condition or does the game just continue (or have I misunderstood the victory conditions).

I also like the ship order I wonder if this is a product of having several shipyards or just a completly random event?

Looking forward to seeing who you smite with SP's military might.

So the suspense continues.

Sorry for not commenting more, but I've been traveling for work.

Is there any prospect of further industrializing your existing territory or are you up against a resource/population constraint?

It's nice to see those tradeposts instead of mere traders delivering more goods. The highlight for me was the Greek ship order - very cool that that is modeled in the game.

Aye, I'm slowly getting East Africa and modern day Yemen under control, so can start to place trading posts on a regular basis. In turn that is generating a reasonable flow of coffee and opium. By the end of 1865 I even am in a position to build a coffee farm in the region.

Even better, as in the next post, the Greeks pay for their ship.

Just noticed that Great Britain has obtained twice the prestige of the second place USA dosn't that mean they have won and game over? Is there an option to disable this victory condition or does the game just continue (or have I misunderstood the victory conditions).

I also like the ship order I wonder if this is a product of having several shipyards or just a completly random event?

Looking forward to seeing who you smite with SP's military might.

Looking at the screen you found (which I will start to use soon), GB is 50% of the way to its Prestige target, so I wonder if its both criteria? Ie get the base score and be double the rival? That may give logic for a player to get into a late game war to ensure/prevent that outcome. I must confess, I've paid no attention to how to win PoN at all. I started this really with the goal of understanding the economy - which I sort of do now - but I am thinking about taking it to 1920. Depends a bit on how dynamic the colonial game becomes.

I think the Greek event was random, but it maybe that having 2 shipyards helps?

There will be smiting, but I am rather the one who is smitten.

So the suspense continues.

Sorry for not commenting more, but I've been traveling for work.

Is there any prospect of further industrializing your existing territory or are you up against a resource/population constraint?

There are some ill explained mechanics around this. This is where V2 is a lot better in digging into the details. The broad issues are clear, there is (I believe) an inefficiency malus if you only have a few industrial/agricultural structures in a province (so I guess this reflects the lack of the small scale infrastructure that supports the visible enterprises), there is equally a malus if you have too much (overcrowding, competition for labour). You can work out the potential workforce but it involves looking at each province and each factory one by one and writing it down. I'm too lazy for this so am playing it by instinct.

Equally you have a fixed limit of the number of a type of factory you can build. I'm not sure if this pool replenishes as the game goes on but I am in mid-1866 in play terms and am about to build my last luxury good factory. At the moment, the only valuable ones are luxuries and the various munition types. The others are ok, but its hard to sell the products internationally. Since I ideally want to develop Italy after unification, and taking some note of my belief about critical mass, I'm deliberately saving both capital (for building) and things to build so I can develop the country in a more balanced way.

As it is, you will inevitably have a unified Italy with the historic problem. A 'modern' Piedmont and a backward 'Italy'. You can then act as did the new state and ignore the consequences, regarding the south as a drag, a source of manpower for the army, a labour pool for internal migration and not worry if they all go off to America. Or you can try to balance the new economy. Beyond role-playing etc I'm not sure if there is any gain to the latter (this goes back to the rather opaque linkage between player action and population contentment). There are times playing PoN I wish for Victoria's ability to dig through the detailed screen to work out exactly what is going on and why. But then no Nineteenth century government had access to that sort of information or statistics so in a way this black box aspect is realistic.

January-June 1864: Remember Kanbara (if you can find out where it is)

So as promised, we’ll be seeing my very first battle report. Equally as confessed, I modded the alternative unification decision so it can fire from 1864 not 1866. As a compensation I reduced the likelihood that it would fire in any given turn. I should stress, these two statements are not related.

So on with the report.

Manufactured Goods and main events

(main report, note I did well with the random buying in this period – lots of gold and gems. Also I discovered you have a finite number of each type of factory, so can only build a couple more Luxury Goods)

(indication of industrial activity – dip at the end was to control a few stocks)

(taxes and things – inflation is negative due to the decision to buy manufactured goods)

Non-Manufactured

Replacements

Now in this period I triggered one of the military inventions. So I’ve shown my understanding of how it works. It seems as if those ‘training’ messages draw on replacements and there is, as normal, a chance that the chit will be consumed. It doesn’t seem to have been that much of a burden.

The Happy Persons List

There were no meaningful changes in terms of diplomacy so I’ll miss that out.

And the developments

My new explorers are sent off to E Africa … we’ll meet them again before this half year is over.

And the Greeks pay for their shiny new warship

I also make use of my current international popularity to try and set up a number of commercial agreements. This I manage with Belgium and Brazil.

The Americans and the French have a major hissy fit at each other. Someone mentioned cheese I believe.

France seems to lose badly.

My other major invention in this period may be less jolly but since I have enough cash at the moment (first column in the first table), no need to implement it.

And, here it is, my very first battle report. I’d sent my explorers off into Ethiopia, I kept the first one close to where I am slowly building up a strong presence.

Someone did not like them … someone, sometime will pay … if I can ever work out who it was.

Italy (well ok Italy doesn’t exist yet) will never forget Kanbara. Especially if I ever work out where it is and what happened there.

July-September 1864: The end of Sardinia-Piedmont

And thus we move into the summer of 1864. All is languid, Italy slumbers, the occasional insult is hurled at an Austrian, we try to work out who killed our prospecters (who no longer have any real prospects).

The population remains happy

Inventions occur, allowing me to chop up wood even quicker

The urban population increases

The Greeks like their new ship

I discover a new technology that makes my navy a bit more modern.

As with military units, the ‘new units’ message is a bit misleading, I still have the same range of units, just more modern/powerful etc.

Now here is where PoN is very unlike the Paradox model. If that is what you are used to, then you know you need to scrap your existing ships and build new ones. I believe, that in PoN all you need to do is to put your fleet into passive (not defensive) mode in a naval base and they will upgrade for you. Its not completely clear this is happening but what I notice is that the regular use of coal for trains and fleet steadily increases so I guess something is going on.

I build my very own coffee field in Brazil

Something happens in late September to disturb the calm:

This message about new money and units joining my army are repeated for each of the other Italian states.

Last edited: