• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Norgesveldet – A history of the Norwegian kings
0000.gif

Table of Content

Kings of Norvegr
Chapter I
Haraldr I «Fairhair»
Chapter II - Dyre I
Chapter III - Halfdan I the Apostle
Chapter IV - Bersi I the Ill-Ruler
Chapter V - Bersi II the Just
Chapter VI - Kjartan I
Chapter VII - Ivar I (first reign)
Chapter VIII - Olafr I the Usurper
Chapter IX -Skuli I
Chapter X - Ivar I Ironside (second reign)
Chapter XI - Sigurd I
Chapter XII - Thordr I
Chapter XIII - Ragnarr I the Cruel
Chapter XIV - Sveinn I the Fat
Chapter XV - Øystein I

Emperors of Scandinavia
Chapter XVI -
Sveinn I
Chapter XVII -Gudrfridr I the Young
Chapter XVIII - Klas I
Chapter XIX - Niklas I the Hammer
Chapter XX - Sigurdrr I the Bold
Chapter XXI - Klas II the Just
Chapter XXII - Geirr I the Just
Chapter XXIII - Hemming I the Great
Chapter XXIV
- Geirr II the Shadow
Chapter XXV
- Halsten I

Interludes
Interlude - 1250 Anno Domine

Interlude - 1350 Anno Domine

Last edited:
When I last time did an AAR, half a decade ago in CK1, I promised myself to never do an AAR again. I felt I didn't have it in me to make a good story and that it took too much time, time I didn't have.

However, since I have had so many games where I've felt the need to tell, grand campaigns. Older, stupider and forgetting life's lessons, I've decided to try again.:p

For a long time I pondered on how to write the AAR, but the other day I came over Stuckenschmidt's latest story, and decided to mold it after his. I will not make it half as good as him, but I will do my best to entertain you.;)

And with that I will go on to post the first installment.:)

Haraldr I «Fairhair»
(866-898)
fairhair.png

Haraldr, the first of the Norwegian kings, is well known for any Norwegian citizen. When he set out to unite the Norwegian petty kingdoms, he famously swore to not cut his hair before he had succeeded in doing so. After gathering his host, he set out on a long journey, a journey that left the Viking world changed forever.

startfairhair.png

The lands held by the petty king of Østlandet, Haraldr, in 867.

Family
Haraldr married only one woman, the love of his life, Røgnhildr. He was a lustful man however, and through his life he had at least five concubines. Four were brought in from neighbouring Viking lands, but the fourth, Wynnflæd, was a Christian slave bought from a petty kingdom on the British Isles.

The first of the concubines, Astrid, faced the wrath of the then petty king when she bore the child of a neighbouring noble, and ended her life in the dungeons of his castle.

With his wife and his concubines, Haraldr bore nine children that we know of:
Halfdan
Dyre
Thorolfr
Kraka
Tyke
Asta
Thordr
Saga
Ormr

The second of these children, Dyre, would ultimately succeed him as the king of Noregr, or Norgesveldet as the empire of medieval Norway is known as to modern day Norwegians.

His reign

In a lightning campaign of just eight years, Haraldr united all of modern day Norway, except the southern tip, which was held by the mighty petty kings of Jylland, in modern day Denmark.
He dared not yet declare himself king of a united Norway though, as according to the sagas he was warned by Odin himself that he had yet to prove himself worthy of the title. Not content with merely controlling the Norwegian lands, he then set his eyes on the lands of the Swedes. The northern Swedish tribes fell fast, but in 874 the warrior king suddenly changed focus and went in Viking to the shores of the British Isles.

For four years he looted the country side of the British kingdoms, and in 878 the sagas tell that Odin himself visited the king’s tent and gave him his blessings. That same year the Norwegian jarls assembled on the ting and declared Haraldr I “Fairhair” the king of Noregr.

The following twelve years, the king seemingly changed his ways and did little of warring. Emissionaries were sent to the settlers of the islands of the Vikings in the North Sea, and all but one accepted him as their lawful king.
Old habits die hard though, and in 890 a massive invasion of the British Isles were initiated, led by Haraldr himself. After securing a beachhead in northern Scotland, all of the Catholic counts of Ireland was issued an ultimatum; submit or die. All counts refused to submit, and war engulfed the Emerald Island for the next decade. The sole peaceful place was the small jarldom in the east, which was led by a relative of Haraldr.

The campaign was a huge success, one by one the counties’ armies were defeated and their lands taken. However, in mid 898 the conquering army was met by a united host of equal strength, and during battle the Viking king was hit by an arrow. Hours later the king was dead, his armies fleeing and the kingdom laid in the hands of his sickly heir and son, Dyre I.

startdyre1.png

Norgesveldet at the time of king Haraldr I’s death in 898.

Aftermath
Contemporary Christian sources show a mixed sense of dread and awe for the conquering Viking king. Within a few decades, the divided tribes of the North was to a large degree united under one mighty warrior, and the Catholic bastion of Ireland was all but fallen to the invaders.

To modern day Norwegians, Haraldr is seen as one of the most important Norwegian ever, uniting their country for the first time and laying the groundwork for the modern nation state.

I'll tag along for what appears to be an interesting ride. The next update should be filled with action since the ruler has to at least try to keep everything intact.

Welcome! I've already played through the next two reigns, but have yet to write the results down. I have my notes and pictures though, and I can promise some good action down the road...;)

I'll definitely follow this historic piece of work. Great to see you giving writing another go, Nikolai!

Haraldr was definitely an interesting character. I'll be very interested to see how Tyre follows on from his successes (if at all,) though naturally remain hopeful that the British Isles aren't too greatly tormented by the Norse. :p

Subscribed. :) Good luck with this AAR, master Nikolai :)

Densley - Thanks! It's a bit scary, the last two AARs I had died due to save corruption, but I already had problems due to lack of inspiration. I hope the saves won't be wrecked this time though, and that I can deliver a good story.:)

Ben - Thanks, my friend! I like the format I've chosen, I think I can make this work! :D

Good to see you back in the saddle Nikolai! Looks to be an interesting ride already with some solid kingdom building and raiding. I don't read too many AARs these days sadly, but I saw this and had to stop by and say keep it going. Good luck!

Definitely subbed Nikolai-I like this Wiki style storytelling so will be following this closely

I didn't realize you have written in the past (or maybe I've just forgotten? Old age etc...). Regardless, I'm please to see you put pen to paper, as it were. King Haraldr really went on a rampage, from next to nothing to an Empire that spans the North Sea. I hope his son Dyre doesn't turn out to be dire. A-hah. :p

Subscribed! Thanks for the heads-up, Nikolai, and look forward to reading of the exploits of these Western Norraenes!

coz1: Thanks! Having you on board is a welcome thing.:)

Asanthene - Welcome on board! I feel the style fits me well.:)

Stuyvesant - Oh, let's not think of those old stories...;) As you will see, Dyre did have a quite...different reign from his father.

Sawedoff - Thanks, and welcome!

Revan - Good to have you on board!:)

Dyre I
(898-901)

dyre1.png

Where his father Haraldr is well known for any Norwegian child, Dyre I is mostly forgotten by the general populace. His rule was short, and if he’s known for anything, it’s emptying the swimming coffers of his father in the search of filling his shoes.

Family
Dyre was married to one Atpælha, little is known about this woman. He took no concubines and sired no children that we know of.

His reign
Little is known about Dyre before his ascencion to power, other than that he was prone to sickness his whole life. He was well liked by the chiefs however, and when his father died on the battlefield, he was quickly raised to the throne by his peers. It also might have helped that he was present in Ireland when the fateful arrow his his sire.

After the death of Haraldr, however, the army of his was soundly beaten and scattered. Dyre sent his troops on ships back to his lands in Northern Scotland and hurredly went back to Norway to hire fresh troops. Before he went, he swore a holy oath that he would not rest before his father’s realm was covering all of Ireland. In the meantime, the Irish wreaked havoc on his conquests. A year later, however, the tide was turned, when Dyre returned with a mighty army of Viking warriors and mercenaries. The Irish were soundly beaten, and in the next two years Ireland was subjugated, one county at a time.

During this time, Dyre was constantly sick, and getting sicker. Modern historians do not know what sickness he had, and research has led to no firm determination of what he had. We do know, however, that this sickness ultimately took his life a December day 901. His brother and second in command, Halfdan, was quickly raised to kinghood.

starthalfdan1.png

The state of Norgesveldet at the death of Dyre I.

Aftermath
Dyre had a short reign, and his lasting legacy was twofold. For one, he secured Ireland for Norway, by the time he died the last strongholds of the Irish counts were under siege. For the other, he emptied his kingdom’s coffers in his quest to subjugate Ireland, leaving his brother and heir in a precarious situation.

To modern day Norwegians, Dyre is little known, living in the shadow of his father and his brother, respectively.

So there it is, Dyre I's reign. A shorter update, because the darn kid couldn't let go of this life fast enough...:p The next update I promise will have a lot more to it...!

I suppose "interesting" isn't really the word to describe Dyre's reign, though his underwhelming tenure will certainly do wonders for the reputations of his father and brother – as the update notes.

Looking forward to the next installment!

What is it with kids named Dyre and dying ridiculously early deaths?

Anyway, certes looking forward to next update!

On the bright side, Dyre's reign didn't see the Norway fractured so there's something. It would be entertaining if his brother had a short but eventful reign.

A bit like the emperor Titus: young to the throne, still young when he kicked the bucket a few short years later. While emptying the treasury isn't great, at least his uncontested ascenscion to the throne means that Norway was spared a civil war, so at least Halfdan gets to start from a stable position.

By the way, can you explain the meaning of the name 'Halfdan' to me? Ever since Alfred Packer's original Crovan saga, I've been unable to take any character named Halfdan seriously (Halfdan "Dan the Man, the Pocket Monarch"). :)