• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In all due respect, I must question this decision. Prussia is a martial nation, and an alliance with them would only lead our glorious country to suffer in a useless war, fought to Prussia's benefit. Furthermore I advise against it on the grounds that France or Britain are much more powerful, and we already have the benefit of having established cordial relations with them.

- Alessandru Zammit

You neglect to consider that an alliance with the Prussians could be mutually beneficial, as there is no reason we can't both assist each other in any war - and Prussia would be of much more value to us in any military conflict than us to them. As to whether France or Britain would prove a better ally, I must respectfully disagree - Prussia may be less established, but they have excellent potential and are poised to dominate much of Central Europe in the coming years. On the other hand, the often arrogant and condescending British are struggling more and more to keep their overlarge empire together, and France is plagued by political instability and a desire to keep Italy weak and divided. I do concede, however, that as far as allies go they would be satisfactory.

- Brigadier Marco Vitali

((If I understand correctly this position is in reference to factory related items and stockpiling seeing as we are very poor and have no factories I suppose I'm doing nothing.))

((Marschalk presumably has the power to shuffle power between Ministers, but I assume the MoC has power over the industrial screen - to open, close, and subsidize factories, for example, and also perhaps over the trade screen, to buy and sell goods from the national stockpile. Under a laissez-faire government, the MoC would have very little power and under a state capitalist government he could order factories built by the state. Under the current interventionist regime, however, he can do neither of those things.))

You neglect to consider that an alliance with the Prussians could be mutually beneficial, as there is no reason we can't both assist each other in any war - and Prussia would be of much more value to us in any military conflict than us to them. As to whether France or Britain would prove a better ally, I must respectfully disagree - Prussia may be less established, but they have excellent potential and are poised to dominate much of Central Europe in the coming years. On the other hand, the often arrogant and condescending British are struggling more and more to keep their overlarge empire together, and France is plagued by political instability and a desire to keep Italy weak and divided. I do concede, however, that as far as allies go they would be satisfactory.

- Brigadier Marco Vitali

You forget that Britain still commands the largest Navy in the world, a highly-trained military and they are far from struggling to keep their empire together. In fact, over the recent years Britain has successfully expanded their territory in India, and were successful in subjugating the Indian tribes. While France is mired by political instability, their geographical position favors us heavily, for they are one of the only two great powers which border us, the other of which is Austria. I am also confused by your thought of a Central Europe dominated by Prussia, as Austria is largely the dominant power in the region. Not only is Prussia a warlike nation, they are poised to attack our neighbour in Austria if they want to dominate Central Europe as you suggest, which could cause our great nation to be conquered.

-Alessandru Zammit

I believe that this Kingdom should align itself with the Kingdom of France.

Yes, they are an historical enemy, but that only makes it more essential to bring them on side. At any rate, it is necessary to have a friend in the continent with a strong army, to allow us to focus attentions on developing the Navy and spreading our power across the sea.

Constantino Telemaco Parassani​

I believe that this Kingdom should align itself with the Kingdom of France.

Yes, they are an historical enemy, but that only makes it more essential to bring them on side. At any rate, it is necessary to have a friend in the continent with a strong army, to allow us to focus attentions on developing the Navy and spreading our power across the sea.

Constantino Telemaco Parassani​

I do hope la noblesse have amended their errors of past - replacing rule by greed with rule by passion. Only this procedure will maintain the delicate social order and hinder the advance of fraudulent liberalism.

((GreatUberGeek, has your character fled the country?))

As others have pointed out, an alliance with the Austrian Empire would be the most beneficial. I urge my fellow Councillors to support this decision.

~ Antonio Maria Enrico di Susa, Marquess of Susa

Budget Report from the Ministry of Finance

Taxes:
Poor: 80%
Middle: 80%
Rich: 60%

Expenses:

Industrial subsidies: 0.0

Stockpile:
Land: 50%
Naval: 45%
Construction: 100%

Education: 30%
Administration 40%
Social Spending: 100%
Military Spending: 50%

Tariffs: 0%

Notes:
- Funds will be released to the military so that they can complete the construction of three (3) clipper transport ships.
- Should funds in the treasury fall below £1000 and a deficit is being run, then taxes should be increased for all classes equally until a surplus is attained.

An alliance with a kingdom? This will only strengthen the hold of the king on the populace, thereby furthering the aristocratic dominance in Sardinia-Piedmont. We must ally ourselves with only republics! Republics are the only truly pure nations on God's green earth. Kingdoms are wretched centers of sin and vice, for a single man rules. Just like Ancient Rome if one man rules, the rest will fall into obscurity and freedom shall be destroyed. I foretell that happening to this fair country as well. Also, Viva Italia!
-Giuseppe Mazzini

One learned gentleman in earshot of Mazzini's bombastic remarks politely reminds him that there are no republics in Europe; and that an alliance with a nation from the Americas would be less than useless to Sardinia.

Teatro Regio
xy1gkPC.jpg
m0UTite.jpg

LA STATUA
Don Giovanni, a cenar teco
M'invitasti e son venuto!

DON GIOVANNI
Non l'avrei giammai creduto;
Ma farò quel che potrò.
Leporello, un altra cena
Fa che subito si porti!

LEPORELLO
facendo capolino di sotto alla tavola
Ah padron! Siam tutti morti.

DON GIOVANNI
tirandolo fuori
Vanne dico!

LA STATUA
a Leporello che è in atto di parlare
Ferma un po'!
Non si pasce di cibo mortale
chi si pasce di cibo celeste;
Altra cure più gravi di queste,
Altra brama quaggiù mi guidò!

LEPORELLO
(La terzana d'avere mi sembra
E le membra fermar più non so.)

DON GIOVANNI
Parla dunque! Che chiedi! Che vuoi?

LA STATUA
Parlo; ascolta! Più tempo non ho!

DON GIOVANNI
Parla, parla, ascoltando ti sto.

LA STATUA
Tu m'invitasti a cena,
Il tuo dover or sai.
Rispondimi: verrai
tu a cenar meco?

LEPORELLO
da lontano, sempre tremando
Oibò;
tempo non ha, scusate.

DON GIOVANNI
A torto di viltate
Tacciato mai sarò.

LA STATUA
Risolvi!

DON GIOVANNI
Ho già risolto!

LA STATUA
Verrai?

LEPORELLO
a Don Giovanni
Dite di no!

DON GIOVANNI
Ho fermo il cuore in petto:
Non ho timor: verrò!

LA STATUA
Dammi la mano in pegno!

DON GIOVANNI
porgendogli la mano
Eccola! Ohimé!

LA STATUA
Cos'hai?

DON GIOVANNI
Che gelo è questo mai?

LA STATUA
Pentiti, cangia vita
È l'ultimo momento!

DON GIOVANNI
vuol scoigliersi, ma invano
No, no, ch'io non mi pento,
Vanne lontan da me!

LA STATUA
Pentiti, scellerato!

DON GIOVANNI
No, vecchio infatuato!

LA STATUA
Pentiti!

DON GIOVANNI
No!

LA STATUA
Sì!

DON GIOVANNI
No!

LA STATUA
Ah! tempo più non v'è!

Fuoco da diverse parti, il Commendatore sparisce, e s'apre una voragine.

DON GIOVANNI
Da qual tremore insolito
Sento assalir gli spiriti!
Dond'escono quei vortici
Di foco pien d'orror?

CORO DI DIAVOLI
di sotterra, con voci cupe
Tutto a tue colpe è poco!
Vieni, c'è un mal peggior!

DON GIOVANNI
Chi l'anima mi lacera?
Chi m'agita le viscere?
Che strazio, ohimé, che smania!
Che inferno, che terror!
THE COMMANDANT
Don Giovanni! Be thee invited,
Here behold me, as thou'st directed.

DON GIOVANNI
Truly I did not expect it,
But anew I'll sup with thee,
Leporello, serve the table,
For my guest another cover!

LEPORELLO
puts his head out from under the table
Sir, be still, say no more!

DON GIOVANNI
Go, directly!

Leporello rises as if to obey.

THE COMMANDANT
No need of that,
Earthly food he no longer desireth,
Who of heavenly food hath partaken,
Cast away from thee now all such trifling,
Heed the sentence I hither have brought.

LEPORELLO
Sure a fit of the ague hath seiz'd me,
Of all motion bereft, I'm distraught!

DON GIOVANNI
Well, what would'st thou? Well, I listen.

THE COMMANDANT
Silence, and mark me, this hour thou hast sought.

DON GIOVANNI
Speak then, tell me, of fear know I nought.

THE COMMANDANT
Thou didst thyself invite me,
For that I must requite thee,
Then answer me, then answer me,
As my guest, when shall I claim thee?

LEPORELLO
standing far off, trembling
Say no, say no;
He is engag'd, excuse him.

DON GIOVANNI
Of fear none shall accuse me,
To none will I succumb!

THE COMMANDANT
Determine!

DON GIOVANNI
I have determined...

THE COMMANDANT
Thou'lt come, then?

LEPORELLO
Say that you can't, that you can't.

DON GIOVANNI
My heart is firm within me,
I have no fear, I'll come.

THE COMMANDANT
Give me thy hand in token!

DON GIOVANNI
Take it then. Ah, me!

THE COMMANDANT
What is't?

DON GIOVANNI
What deadly chill is this!

THE COMMANDANT
Turn thee, ere heav'n hath doom'd thee,
There's time yet for repentance.

DON GIOVANNI
vainly tries to free himself
For me there's no repentance,
Vanish thou from my sight!

THE COMMANDANT
Dread then, the wrath eternal.

DON GIOVANNI
Away, thou spectre infernal!

THE COMMANDANT
Yes, repent!

DON GIOVANNI
No!

THE COMMANDANT
Yes, repent!

DON GIOVANNI
No!

THE COMMANDANT
Yes!

DON GIOVANNI
No!

THE COMMANDANT
Yes! Now must my soul take flight!

Exit.

Flames appear in all directions, the earth trembles.

DON GIOVANNI
Terrors unknown are freezing me,
Demons of doom are seizing me,
Is hell let loose to torture me?
Or does it mock my sight?

CHORUS
from below, with hollow voices
Torments eternal wait thee!
Burning in endless night!

DON GIOVANNI
My soul is rent in agony!
Condemn'd to endless misery,
Oh, doom of wrath and terror,
No more to see the light!

wL5ONi8.png

ADDRESS TO THE PRIVY COUNCIL
Privy Council -- Private

Gentlemen,

It seems that the Chamber of Deputies is under the impression that the contracting of alliances is a privilege of that house rather than the prerogative of the Crown.

Art. 5. The executive power is reserved to the King alone. He is the supreme head of the state; he commands all the armed forces on land and sea; he declares war, makes treaties of peace, of alliance, of commerce, and of other kinds, giving notice of them to the Chambers as soon as the interest and security of the state allow, and accompanying such notice with opportune explanations. Treaties entailing either a financial burden or changes in the territories of the state shall have effect only after the approval of the two Chambers.

Recognising the possibility that H.M. Charles Albert may have his own intentions vis-à-vis foreign policy, I am keenly interested to understand what measures have been taken by the Chamber to consult the Crown on such matters.

The rivalry within the German Federation between the Kingdom of Prussia and the Austrian Empire is not unknown. Bearing in mind that H.M. Maria Teresa, Queen Consort of Sardinia, is not simply a member of the House of Hapsburg, but is also first cousin of H.I.M Ferdinand I, Emperor of Austria, an alliance with Austria’s chief nemesis may become the source of some disturbance in Sardinia’s Royal Household.

I remain hopeful that measures will be taken to ensure that H.M. Charles Albert will be directly involved in matters of foreign affairs, in accordance with monarchical tradition and pursuant to his constitutional rights.

MONTEZEMOLO

Gentlemen,

It seems that the Chamber of Deputies is under the impression that the contracting of alliances is a privilege of that house rather than the prerogative of the Crown.

((I mentioned this to Marschalk and I gather that he is asking for an advisory opinion rather than a binding vote...))

Bah, the United Kingdomnwould be our best prospect. At least they have some semblance of a republic and their monarchy is nothing but a figurehead.
-Giuseppe Mazzini
((Yes, I have fled, to Marseille, the haven for Italian dissidents.))

Bah, the United Kingdomnwould be our best prospect. At least they have some semblance of a republic and their monarchy is nothing but a figurehead.
-Giuseppe Mazzini
((Yes, I have fled, to Marseille, the haven for Italian dissidents.))

((Dude, if you are in hiding, you cannot voice your opinion on Parliamentary matters, or at least you cannot vote.))

The Prime Minister walks into the parliament and stands near the leader of the chamber of deputies

My good sirs!

Today I greet you as the first head of the Royal Government functioning within the new political system. Our sovereign, the King, has entrusted you with a great mission, to assist him to legislate. I sincerely hope that we would be able to create a functioning system of cooperation between the different branches of the governing instutions - and would be able to to do great service to our beloved country.

It is known to me that the legislature is going to look vote on a number of important bills. However, I want you today to analyze another question. It is known that it is very important for us to understand, what path do we want to pursue in our diplomacy, which country do we want to create ties with, in what direction should we go. While the government, on behalf of His Majesty, has sufficient powers to conclude treaties and decide on diplomatic affairs, I would like to find out the views within this body. I ask you to vote on whom would you like to see as the primary ally of Sardinia-Piedmont - the Empire of Austria, the Kingdom of Prussia, the United Kingdom, the Kingdom of France, or none of them.

I ask you to make the decision, taking into account not sentiments or biases, but interests of our country, understanding that it is the interest of Piedmont-Sardinia that we should defend most utmostly.

God save the King!

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina, Prime Minister of Sardinia-Piedmont
I would advise either Britain or Austria, Austria to discourage the Ottomans from intervening and the British to ensure that the balance of power tips to our favor. Prussia would be a great ally as well, but not our primary for the time being. We should counter the French influence at all costs to maintain freedom within the Kingdom.

- Count Corentin Gwenäel Pèir Lozac'h

((Private-Privy Council))

I believe the wisest course of action would be to ally with Austria given the fact that our two kingdoms share a desire to uphold the peace of Europe and the traditional order against the Hydra. They would also be able to quickly aid us against a neo-Bonapartist resurgence in France or a Jacobin insurrection in our homeland.

If the Habsburgs do not accommodate us, then I propose we must swallow the bitter whisky and ally with France. Of course I distrust France for the crimes they committed against us and view the pear king and his revolutionaries with suspicion. But a French kingdom is still a responsible member of the international order and it is best to not provoke the large bear at our doorstep.

We should have nothing to do with the English. Their parliamentary system troubles my conscience and an alliance with London would only encourage the rabid Anglophile Jacobins that lurk amongst us. Furthermore, the English are perfidious Protestants. Prussia and Russia are too far away to aid us in a time of emergency and do not have strong navies to make up for their long distance. Furthermore, these two kingdoms also practice a barbarous strain of Christianity.

- Brigadier Marco Vitali

General, what if the Prussians drag us into a silly conflict with France over the Rhineland? Then we would be subject to destruction at French hands once again.Or Prussia could duel with Austria over hegemony in Germany, which could lead to our destruction at the hands of Austria. Meanwhile, an alliance with Austria or France would be less troublesome since we are the buffer between the two nations and a war could not start without our consent.

-Conte Bonaretti di Nizza, Master of the Royal Court

Last edited:
((Private - For GreatUberGeek, Viola, and VibraniumTaco only))
Dear Fellow Agitated Countrymen,

I have recently heard of your cries for increased liberty. Our views on this Tyrannical Dictatorship are near the same. I believe that if we unite together, we will accomplice far more together than on our own. I propose the foundation of "La Lega Radical" ( The Radical League). A different name can be agreed upon later, but I chose Radical as that is a political group here in England. It is in everyone's best interests that this letter sees your eyes only. I hope we can lead Italy into a new era. Viva il popolo!

- Antonio Bagnoli

Last edited:
((Private - For GreatUberGeek, Viola, and VibraniumTaco only))
Dear Fellow Agitated Countrymen,

I have recently heard of your cries for increased liberty. Our views on this Tyrannical Dictatorship are near the same. I believe that if we unite together, we will accomplice far more together than on our own. I propose the foundation of "La Lega Radicale" ( The Radical League). A different name can be agreed upon later. It is in everyone's best interests that this letter sees your eyes only. I hope we can lead Italy into a new era. Viva il popolo!

- Antonio Bagnoli
((Private to all mentioned above and Qwerty7))
I will join the La Lega Radicale. Hopefully we can achieve the common goal. I would also urge you all to join Giovini Italia, or Young Italy. It has much the same goals as us-democracy, no kings-and the added bonus of Italian unification. Viva Italia!
-Giuseppe Mazzini