How's Paradox relationship with Creative Assembly(Total war) and Firaxis(Civ V)?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Choksquaker

Captain
22 Badges
Apr 3, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
Since you 3 are the big bosses of strategy games,i'm just very curious. Is there a great mutual respect? A mortal rivalry? Do devs of each company talk to each other sometimes? Do they taunt each other?
I imagine you play a lot of each other's games.

ps: Im sorry if this kind of discussion is prohibited by forum rules.

Reactions:
Paradox has set Firaxis and CA as rivals at -200 relations and all of the companies are fabricating claims to each other and trying to fund rebels to rise up.

Reactions:
Firaxis, in turn, is "guarded" against those companies and has started "denouncing" them, claiming to the gaming industry that they are not to
be trusted.

Lol, how i hate the "denounce" system from Civ V

Reactions:
I remember Johan firing shots in CA's direction during HoI3's development - when asked if they were going to add some systems that the AI used in Total War games, his reply was "I didn't know TW games had an AI". When one of CA devs came to diplomatically complain about it, Johan replied "of course, I didn't want to sound insulting or offensive, but TW games have nothing even nearly comparable to an AI".

Reactions:
Some TW games do have a great AI, for example Shogun 1, Medieval 1, Shogun 2 and for the most part Napoleon Total War. But apart from that, TW's AI needs to be tweaked for an year by both CA and modders before it is considered good. Meanwhile although Civilization 5 is great, it lacks many features from previous games and I think Civ 4 is the best.

I too think they all have declared war on each other. PDS is fabricating claims while using spies and attrition-free troops, Firaxis is denouncing both of the others while proposing resolutions against them in a virtual United Nations that their faction dominates, and CA might've simply sent a diplomat with written demands to hand over their cities and castles to CA or face four crazily huge angry Imperial doomstacks that tear walls like paper and troops like wheat. :p

likely mortal enemy

Creepy-Laugh-By-The-Evil-Witch-In-Disneys-Snow-White.gif

Reactions:
I tried to play Empire recently. The enemy troops just sat there and let me kill them, occasionally wandering around the field.

I am on Paradox's side here :p.

I remember Johan firing shots in CA's direction during HoI3's development - when asked if they were going to add some systems that the AI used in Total War games, his reply was "I didn't know TW games had an AI". When one of CA devs came to diplomatically complain about it, Johan replied "of course, I didn't want to sound insulting or offensive, but TW games have nothing even nearly comparable to an AI".

i dont think i have laughed as much as i just did in quite a long time, kudos to johan haha :)

Reactions:

I must say I laughed out loud :D

the hilarious irony is that the HOI 3 AI was totally broken for years.

Reactions:

F9kWFzE.jpg

Reactions:

Oh no, not that Julian guy again. His rally point episode turned out to be complete BS, and the angry hate storm that appeared after Rome II's release his video is still going on till today...if people bother with that game anymore.

Most, including me, have reverted back to playing old RTW when feeling a crave for Rome or the related era. It is a masterpiece game even if there are some things it could've done better, like diplomacy AI, although it is still fun enough. Plus, it is a new game by itself when played with mods.

I'm a fan of all three studios. :) But it is hard to meet up since CA is in the UK and Firaxis is in the US. I've talked to some Firaxis people and heard some talks, and they all seem to enjoy Paradox games. I think that PC strategy studios are so rare that they don't really compete much with each other. Everyone is just happy that strategy games are made.

Reactions:
Considering the downward spiral the games from CA/Firaxis are in, I hope Paradox stays well clear of what I consider to be the companies responsible for ruining two of my favorite franchises (TW and Civ).

While CA/Firaxis are in no way as bad as UbiSoft and EA, they have caused irreparable damage to some of the games that drew me to PC gaming in the first place (esp Civ). And worse, they seem to be getting away with it.

I only hope Paradox stays well away from the design-philosophies of those companies and stays true to their own vision. Along with Slitherine, they seem to be the only company out there that still make deep games that don't look like iPad/Mobile games (Civ5) or just skip promised features like muliti-player and AI (TW).

/rant

Reactions:
Paradox, Firaxis, CA should made a strategy game developer association, also invite other companies(Eugen Systems, Relic, Ironclad , Amplitude, Digitalmindsoft and others) that are loyal to the genre with the goals:
- to revive the strategy games to the 1996-2002 golden era, when games like Heroes 3, Age of Empire 1/2, C&C Red Alert1/2/Tiberian Sun, Alpha Centaur, Civilization 2/3, Caesar 3, Star Craft, War Craft 2/3 fight equally the Legendary FPS like Quake 1/2/3, Unreal Tournament, Half Life or Legendary Rpg like Diablo 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Final Fantasy 7, Deus Ex
- improve AI capability without cheating
- improve the tutorials for strategy games
- improve performances of strategy games that use huge maps or big number of units or complex processing data
- develop new genre of strategy games

Reactions:
Considering the downward spiral the games from CA/Firaxis are in, I hope Paradox stays well clear of what I consider to be the companies responsible for ruining two of my favorite franchises (TW and Civ).

While CA/Firaxis are in no way as bad as UbiSoft and EA, they have caused irreparable damage to some of the games that drew me to PC gaming in the first place (esp Civ). And worse, they seem to be getting away with it.

I only hope Paradox stays well away from the design-philosophies of those companies and stays true to their own vision. Along with Slitherine, they seem to be the only company out there that still make deep games that don't look like iPad/Mobile games (Civ5) or just skip promised features like muliti-player and AI (TW).

/rant

Actually, I find that BNW brought much of what was lost to CiV. But yeah, up to G&K it couldn't hold a candle to CIV+BtS. Now it's evenly matched.

Reactions:
Isn't Creative Assembly a vassal of Sega?

Reactions: