• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
By the time China has 10 tech slots it has pretty much guaranteed it's own victory. I have seen Chinese troops in South Africa and in another game it had reached Persia. It's manpower pool is a permanent advantage: At first, it gives it +40-45IC, virtually equalling it with Japan, and then later this is translated into massive armies which can conquer the rest of China, and whatever it choses soon after. Even on multiplayer a human China can be devastating.
That's why Nat. China is banned in almost every MP I've seen. Otherwise, the side with China is almost guaranteed to win.

That's why Nat. China is banned in almost every MP I've seen. Otherwise, the side with China is almost guaranteed to win.
Yeah I'm tempted to recommend banning it in an upcoming game of mine - although we're going to use a mod which has made the AI infinitely more effective compared to the vanilla AI. No human USA can beat the AI USA in terms of industrialisation on this mod... Which makes me wonder if a human or AI China would be better for the Axis, same for a human/AI France (with a human USA and human UK MCing them respectively ofc)

By the time China has 10 tech slots it has pretty much guaranteed it's own victory.

By the time China has 10 tech slots it is much more backwards on the tech scale than at the start of the game in 1936. I suppose with focussing on infantry, Art, landdoctrines, interceptors plus doctrines and the industry tech china might be only slightly backwards on those key areas. But what about the navy? Without a powerful ally supplying both blueprints and naval power china is a dragon that cannot swim. How should china defend itself against the USA?

At first, it gives it +40-45IC, virtually equalling it with Japan,

Japan gets +17 ic from unused manpower, too. China is slightly better at recuriting troops and muchbetteer at upgrading them. Japan however has advantages at maintaning them.

Resource troubles are very hard to come by, there are so many nations to trade with, and considering China's manpower pool, it has a lot of $ to trade for these resources.

By the time china is short on resources it is short on money, too.

Lets assume china manages to increase ic to 180 base ic and 234 effective ic. At techlevel 1943 Inf-Art will consume 1.57 supplies at rest, 2.355 during movement and 4.71 during battle. Lets assume it is twice of 1.57 on average, than one division will costs 0.5233 ic for supplies and the usual 0.27 ic on the money side. With the usual 5600 manpower for mp pool and military together 100 ic(75ic after research) would be left for anything but only feeding 240 Inf-Art which creates a tc load of 753.6 with having 234x1.5x1.2x1.15 = 484.38 available.

If China manages to obtain such levels of ic it surely is an important power factor, also due to tc from the new HoS in 1943. But it will not be more dangerous than USA, soviet union or germany in 1941. The ability to reinforce its troops near ad infinitum might be unique, but it will not withstand some strong speerheads the 3 superpower might muster.

I am not sure whether i should be surprised by this. China is a powerfactor somewhere between UK and italy. Switching it from one side to the other has quite some effect. But China has much more weight if it can use bluepints and if its tc strong allies are allowed to utilize chinese troops as expeditionary corps. So i would conclude that banning Nat. Chi from joining an alliance with any (other) major might be sufficient.

By the time China has 10 tech slots it is much more backwards on the tech scale than at the start of the game in 1936. I suppose with focussing on infantry, Art, landdoctrines, interceptors plus doctrines and the industry tech china might be only slightly backwards on those key areas. But what about the navy? Without a powerful ally supplying both blueprints and naval power china is a dragon that cannot swim. How should china defend itself against the USA?
I said China is over-powered, not omnipotent. I'm sure any USA, human or AI, would struggle against a China that controls mainland Asia, if not other continents too.

Japan gets +17 ic from unused manpower, too. China is slightly better at recuriting troops and muchbetteer at upgrading them.
In other words China is equal, if not superior to, Japan in regards to building a land army. This is neither realistic nor supportive of a balanced game if Japan is to pose a threat to the USA and UK too.

By the time china is short on resources it is short on money, too.
By the time it's short on money it should have stockpiled enough resources anyway, especially if it follows your proposal of not militarising until 1937/38 (if at all).

Lets assume china manages to increase ic to 180 base ic and 234 effective ic. At techlevel 1943 Inf-Art will consume 1.57 supplies at rest, 2.355 during movement and 4.71 during battle. Lets assume it is twice of 1.57 on average, than one division will costs 0.5233 ic for supplies and the usual 0.27 ic on the money side. With the usual 5600 manpower for mp pool and military together 100 ic(75ic after research) would be left for anything but only feeding 240 Inf-Art which creates a tc load of 753.6 with having 234x1.5x1.2x1.15 = 484.38 available.
Any China with 240 inf-art would trump any Japan, or at least make Hirohito's state easy pickings for the USA (or even UK).

If China manages to obtain such levels of ic it surely is an important power factor, also due to tc from the new HoS in 1943. But it will not be more dangerous than USA, soviet union or germany in 1941. The ability to reinforce its troops near ad infinitum might be unique, but it will not withstand some strong speerheads the 3 superpower might muster.
Again, I said China is overpowered, not omnipotent. I'd bloody well hope China cannot surpass the USA, USSR or Germany ever, let alone in 1941! IRL Communist China did not get the atom bomb (i.e. Become a superpower of sorts) until 1964- and that was with the extensive help of the Soviets alongside the lives of approximately 38 million people. IMO China should more appropriately be compared with Brazil or Canada, maybe even Italy.

So i would conclude that banning Nat. Chi from joining an alliance with any (other) major might be sufficient.
I think I agree with you there- seeing a mass of Allied troops in China would also be prevented by this. Regarding expeditionary forces, we banned them outright- otherwise Hungarian/Romanian/Bulgarian troops etc would eventually have the same org and morale as German troops (same for Allied minors too ofc).

In other words China is equal, if not superior to, Japan in regards to building a land army. This is neither realistic nor supportive of a balanced game if Japan is to pose a threat to the USA and UK too.

That is not precisely true. China starts with a much bigger army than Japan starts, so in the short run it is superior. Also in the long run china would be superior if it manages to build up ic properly. But between 1936 and the late 1940is there is a point where japan can be clearly superior. In 1939, 1940, 1941 and probably even 1942 and 1943 Japan would be clearly superior by numbers, quality and ese each. It is a bit like germany and soviet union.

Any China with 240 inf-art would trump any Japan, or at least make Hirohito's state easy pickings for the USA (or even UK).

True, but for this Japan would need to leave china alone in the first place and would need to abandon manchukou and it its own provinces to chinese claims in 1936, else China has hardly a chance to increase ic to such levels. Any early war diminishes chinas chances of urgently needed development.

Again, I said China is overpowered, not omnipotent. I'd bloody well hope China cannot surpass the USA, USSR or Germany ever, let alone in 1941!

By 1942 or 1943 China may pass the 180 base ic, somewhen shortly before 1950 it may pass 500 effective ic.

IRL Communist China did not get the atom bomb (i.e. Become a superpower of sorts) until 1964- and that was with the extensive help of the Soviets alongside the lives of approximately 38 million people.

The Republic of China(today also known as Nat. Chi) had expert educated in germany. Those elites excaped the mainland to Taiwan, where they set a rapid economic development into motion. Both the second sino-japanese war and the following chinese civil war were huge drawbacks for chinese development.

IMO China should more appropriately be compared with Brazil or Canada, maybe even Italy.

Those are poor comparisons. A less poor one would be USA in 1836 with less natural resources but much more population. It urgently needs development and what china can become if given the chance can be seen today. China by its population alone is a natural superpower. Japan and the western powers were somewhat lucky to challenge china when it was unusually weak.

China might be overpowered but not somuch IMO. In 1.08 Japan builds significant amount of infantry, mostly with artillery and focuses most of its army on chinese front, so it's hard to stop them in first stage.
For me playing as China vs AI Japan is quite balanced. Playing as Japan vs China AI is a bit too hard.

That is not precisely true. China starts with a much bigger army than Japan starts, so in the short run it is superior. Also in the long run china would be superior if it manages to build up ic properly.
In other words China can be unbeatable indefinitely.

But between 1936 and the late 1940is there is a point where japan can be clearly superior. In 1939, 1940, 1941 and probably even 1942 and 1943 Japan would be clearly superior by numbers, quality and ese each.
I do not doubt Japan can, at least at some point, overtake China. But it would be at the cost of building up an air force and/or navy.

True, but for this Japan would need to leave china alone in the first place and would need to abandon manchukou and it its own provinces to chinese claims in 1936, else China has hardly a chance to increase ic to such levels. Any early war diminishes chinas chances of urgently needed development.
Ever since your comments that imply there is a perfect game balance between Japan and China, I've been itching to play AoD and see if I can convince you otherwise, this comment just fuels my urge! Obviously I'll have to use vanilla 1.08 with the latest 1.09 edits, but what would be required for me to show that China is overpowered? A defeat of AI Japan in mainland Asia in 1937/38? I'll do my best to avoid exploiting the AI's stupidity and the general game mechanics. I could even play as the AI, by not disbanding any units and keeping military spending at 100 if that helped.

The Republic of China(today also known as Nat. Chi) had expert educated in germany. Those elites excaped the mainland to Taiwan, where they set a rapid economic development into motion. Both the second sino-japanese war and the following chinese civil war were huge drawbacks for chinese development.
And subsequently Mao was a massive drawback for China's development. Anyway, I don't mean to belittle the achievements of the Nationalists, bit Taiwan is a much smaller place then mainland China. Plus I think the main point here is what China was like in 1936, which as Urko said, was economically undeveloped by quite some margin (anyone knowledgeable on China, please correct me if I've succumbed to Orientalism).

Those are poor comparisons. A less poor one would be USA in 1836 with less natural resources but much more population. It urgently needs development and what china can become if given the chance can be seen today. China by its population alone is a natural superpower. Japan and the western powers were somewhat lucky to challenge china when it was unusually weak.
It was weak due to it having a virtually non existent industry. 60IC (well 100+IC including its gigantic manpower pool) is not representative of China's reality. I was comparing China to Canada in terms of economic and military strength.

That is not precisely true. China starts with a much bigger army than Japan starts, so in the short run it is superior. Also in the long run china would be superior if it manages to build up ic properly.

In other words China can be unbeatable indefinitely.

Or in other words: China is beated rather easily unless some rather specific circumstances apply. :D

I do not doubt Japan can, at least at some point, overtake China. But it would be at the cost of building up an air force and/or navy.

I only made a rough estimate of the math, but it shows that Japan would have more than 100 k icd to invest in navy and airforce before historical Pearl Harbour. Initially airforce and navy would be neglected, but once the army is built 150 ic are freed for other purposes.

Ever since your comments that imply there is a perfect game balance between Japan and China, I've been itching to play AoD and see if I can convince you otherwise, this comment just fuels my urge! Obviously I'll have to use vanilla 1.08 with the latest 1.09 edits, but what would be required for me to show that China is overpowered? A defeat of AI Japan in mainland Asia in 1937/38? I'll do my best to avoid exploiting the AI's stupidity and the general game mechanics. I could even play as the AI, by not disbanding any units and keeping military spending at 100 if that helped.

Disbanding the army is quite fair, as japan i would do the same. I donnot doubt you could build up a much stronger china than IRL because IRL was full of errors in judgement. I do however not know precisely how good a human player would do. How about you start a china campaign 1936 with vanilla 1.09 set 26 but with the one modification than event 20 will not trigger. Simply seeing that 20 is somewhere in sleepevent = { ... 20 ... } at the relativ bottom of the savegame should do that. Than build up ic, Infra and army as you see best for a war against a human japan to start at Danzig. Except not joining an alliance with or declaring war on anything but the legitimate targets Tibet, CHC, SIK and the warlords i see no need for special restrictions.

Plus I think the main point here is what China was like in 1936, which as Urko said, was economically undeveloped by quite some margin (anyone knowledgeable on China, please correct me if I've succumbed to Orientalism).

It was weak due to it having a virtually non existent industry. 60IC (well 100+IC including its gigantic manpower pool) is not representative of China's reality. I was comparing China to Canada in terms of economic and military strength.

In 1936 the industry was in develepment. A few industrial centres were constructed or under construction, so that later china could build up its industry by its own:

Germany and Chinese industrialization

In 1936, China had only about 10,000 miles (16,000 km) of railways, far lower than the 100,000 miles (160,000 km) that Sun Yat-sen had envisioned for his ambition of a modernized China. In addition, half of these were in Manchuria, which was already lost to Japan and out of Kuomintang control. The slow progress of modernizing China's transportation was because of conflicting foreign interests in China, such as the 1920 New Four-Power Consortium of British, French, American, and Japanese banking interests.[citation needed] This consortium aimed to regularize foreign investment in China and unanimous approval was required before any of the four could provide credit to the Chinese government for building railways. In addition, other foreign countries were hesitant to provide funding because of the depression.

However, a series of Sino-German agreements in 1934–1936 greatly accelerated railway construction in China. Major railroads were built between Nanchang, Zhejiang, and Guizhou. These fast developments were made possible because Germany needed efficient transportation to export raw materials, and because the railway lines served the Chinese government's need to build an industrial center south of the Yangtze, in the south-central provinces. In addition, these railways served important military functions. For example, the Hangzhou-Guiyang rail was built to facilitate military transport in the Yangtze delta valley, even after Shanghai and Nanking were lost. Another similar railway was the Guangzhou-Hankou network, which provided transportation between the eastern coast and the Wuhan area. This railway would later prove its worth in the early stages of the Second Sino-Japanese War.

The most important industrial project from Sino-German cooperation was the 1936 Three-Year Plan, which was administered by the Chinese government's National Resources Commission and the Hapro corporation. The purpose of this plan was to create an industrial powerhouse capable of resisting Japan in the short run, and to create a center for future Chinese industrial development for the long run. It had several basic components such as the monopolization of all operations pertaining to tungsten and antimony, the construction of the central steel and machine works in provinces such as Hubei, Hunan, and Sichuan, and the development of power plants and other chemical factories. As outlined in the 1934 barter agreement, China would provide raw materials in return for German expertise and equipment in setting up these ventures. Cost overrun for these projects was partly assuaged by the fact that the price of tungsten had more than doubled between 1932 and 1936.[23] Germany also extended RM 100 million line of credit to the Chinese government. The Three-Year Plan also introduced a class of highly educated technocrats who were trained to run these state-owned projects. At the height of this program, Sino-German exchange accounted for 17% of China's foreign trade and China was the third largest trading partner with Germany. The Three-Year Plan had many promises, but unfortunately much of its intended benefits would eventually be undermined by the breakout of full-scale war with Japan in 1937.[24]

Germany and Chinese military modernization

Alexander von Falkenhausen was responsible for most of military training conducted as part of the deal. Original plans by von Seeckt called for a drastic reduction of the military to 60 well-equipped and well-trained divisions based on German military doctrines, but questions as to which factions would be axed remained a problem. As a whole, officer corps trained by the Whampoa Academy up until 1927 were of marginally better quality than the warlord armies, but they remained valuable to Chiang Kai-shek for sheer loyalty.[25] Nonetheless, some 80,000 Chinese troops, in eight divisions, were trained to German standards and formed the elite of Chiang's army. These new divisions might have contributed to Chiang's determination to escalate the skirmish at Marco Polo Bridge to full-scale war. However, China was not ready to face Japan on equal terms, and Chiang's decision to pit all of his new divisions in the Battle of Shanghai, despite objections from his staff officers and von Falkenhausen himself, would cost him one-third of his best troops that took years to train. Chiang was suggested to preserve his strength to maintain order and fight later.

Von Falkenhausen recommended that Chiang fight a war of attrition with Japan as Falkenhausen calculated that Japan could never hope to win a long term war. He suggested that Chiang should hold the Yellow River line, but not attack north of that until much later in the war. Also Chiang should be prepared to give up a number of regions in northern China, including Shandong, but the retreats must be made slowly; Japan was to pay for every advance it made. He also recommended a number of fortifications to be constructed, near mining areas, coastal, river locations, and so on. Falkenhausen also advised the Chinese to establish a number of guerrilla operations (which the Communists were adept at) behind Japanese lines. These efforts would help to weaken an already militarily challenged Japan.
Chinese in Wehrmacht, prior to 1939

Von Falkenhausen also believed that it was too optimistic to expect the Chinese National Revolutionary Army (NRA) to be adequately supported by armor and heavy artillery in the war against Japan. Chinese industry was just starting to modernize and it would take a while to fully equip the NRA in the fashion of the German Army (Wehrmacht Heer). Thus, he emphasized on the creation of a mobile force that relied on small arms and adept with infiltration tactics, similar to the stormtroopers near the end of World War I. German officers were called into China as military advisers, like Lt. Col. Hermann Voigt-Ruscheweyh, who acted as adviser to the Artillery Firing School in Nanjing from 1933 to 1938.[26]

German assistance in the military realm was not limited to personnel training and reorganization, but also involved military hardware. According to von Seeckt, around eighty percent of China's weapons output was below par or unsuitable for modern warfare. Therefore, projects were undertaken to expand and upgrade existing armories along the Yangtze River and to create new arsenals and munitions plants. For example, the Hanyang Arsenal was reconstructed during 1935–1936 to bring its standards up to date. The arsenal was to produce Maxim machine guns, various 82 mm trench mortars and the Chiang Kai-shek rifle (中正式; Zhōngzhèng Shì), which was based on the German Karabiner 98k rifle. The Chiang Kai-shek and Hanyang 88 rifles remained as the predominant firearm used by Chinese armies throughout the war.[27] Another factory was established to produce gas masks, with plans to construct a mustard gas plant that was eventually scrapped. In May 1938, several arsenals were built in Hunan to produce 20mm, 37 mm, and 75 mm artilleries. In late 1936 a plant was built near Nanking to manufacture military optical equipment such as binoculars and sniper rifle scopes. Additional arsenals were built or upgraded to manufacture other weapons and ordnance, such as the MG-34, pack guns of different calibers, and even replacement parts for vehicles of the Leichter Panzerspähwagen series serving in the Chinese army. Several research institutes were also established under German auspices, such as the Ordnance and Arsenal Office, the Chemical Research Institute under the direction from IG Farben, and others. Many of these institutes were headed by German-returned Chinese engineers. In 1935 and 1936, China ordered a total of 315,000 of the M35 Stahlhelm, and also large numbers of Gewehr 88, 98 rifles and the C96 Broomhandle Mauser. China also imported other military hardware, such as a small number of Henschel, Junkers[clarification needed], Heinkel[clarification needed] and Messerschmitt[clarification needed] aircraft, some of them to be assembled in China, and Rheinmetall and Krupp howitzers, anti-tank and mountain guns, such as the PaK 37mm, as well as AFVs such as the Panzer I.[citation needed]

These modernization efforts proved their usefulness with the outbreak of the Second Sino-Japanese War. Although the Japanese, in the end, were able to capture the Nationalist capital at Nanjing, the process took several months with a cost far higher than either side had anticipated. Japanese frustrations at strong Chinese resistance were vented out during the Rape of Nanking (Nanjing Massacre). Despite this loss, the fact that Chinese troops could credibly challenge Japanese troops boosted the morale of the Chinese. In addition, the cost of the campaign made the Japanese reluctant to go deeper into the Chinese interior, allowing the Nationalist Government to relocate China's political and industrial infrastructure into Sichuan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-G...il_1941#Germany_and_Chinese_industrialization

Interesting read about the Sino-German co-operation, thanks for sharing the information.

And now, from personal experience, I can completely agree with Leonaru. China is far too easy with 1.08 (well the proposed 1.09). In terms of previous experience, I had not played China beyond July 1937 before doing this test.

I played as China using the 1.09 changes 26 using the 1936 scenario on singleplayer. As I was playing the Japan AI I deliberately limited myself, keeping military salaries (and everything else) at 100% spending; not disbanding any units. I (painfully) prevented my forces from over-running or encircling major Japanese and Manchu forces, as the AI (or auto retreat) was quite pathetic. The only war I had before Marco Polo was the historical one with Com China (which ended via the Xi'an event) - I soon after inherited all the warlords bar Sinkiang. Not even knowing what the triggers were, I triggered the 'Fading of the Sun' event by May 26 1938 after Marco Polo triggered on 2 July 1937. Without these voluntary limitations I believe I could've defeated Japan by late-1937/early-1938.

Positives from it: It was good to see the Japanese attack three coastal provinces at once. My forces in the area were soon on the retreat, with 3 divisions over-run and I had to send forces from the northern front down south to deal with the threat. I had an enjoyable central China campaign, lasting from 30 July to 6 December 1937. The typical negative was that the AI over-extended its attack without the proper reinforcements, critically exposing itself to counter-attack. I could've easily encircled its forces and ended the campaign 1-2 months earlier but did not.

Un-expected negative: Italy did not annex Ethiopia until 21 February 1937.

How about you start a china campaign 1936 with vanilla 1.09 set 26 but with the one modification than event 20 will not trigger. Simply seeing that 20 is somewhere in sleepevent = { ... 20 ... } at the relativ bottom of the savegame should do that. Than build up ic, Infra and army as you see best for a war against a human japan to start at Danzig. Except not joining an alliance with or declaring war on anything but the legitimate targets Tibet, CHC, SIK and the warlords i see no need for special restrictions.
Hmmm, if I can find an interested player I'll do a test run of delaying Marco Polo until Sep 1939 with me as China and him/her as Japan (yes I have encountered a female who plays AoD!) Heck... if you're up for a game Pang, I'll play you!

Last edited:
And now, from personal experience, I can completely agree with Leonaru. China is far too easy with 1.08 (well the proposed 1.09). In terms of previous experience, I had not played China beyond July 1937 before doing this test.
IMO a human player shouldn't get access to the warlord annexations events, as they mean a massive boost. Not only do they increase resources and IC significantly, they also put all warlord troops under Nat. Chinese control, which means they can be upgraded and reinforced properly (something the warlords don't do half the time).

Un-expected negative: Italy did not annex Ethiopia until 21 February 1937.
The same happened in my last two Nat. China games!

IMO a human player shouldn't get access to the warlord annexations events, as they mean a massive boost. Not only do they increase resources and IC significantly, they also put all warlord troops under Nat. Chinese control, which means they can be upgraded and reinforced properly (something the warlords don't do half the time).
I think I agree - so long as the human Nat China is able to ally with all the warlords (without annexing them) instead. Perhaps delaying the Xi'an incident event until the historical date of 12 December 1936 (for human Nat China's only) would suffice (either with or without the warlords being annexed, whatever is best for game balance).

The same happened in my last two Nat. China games!
Strange, perhaps Mussolini was perplexed at seeing China gradually over-take Italy's industry (as I had done in my game by late-1937).

I played as China using the 1.09 changes 26 using the 1936 scenario on singleplayer. As I was playing the Japan AI I deliberately limited myself, keeping military salaries (and everything else) at 100% spending; not disbanding any units. I (painfully) prevented my forces from over-running or encircling major Japanese and Manchu forces, as the AI (or auto retreat) was quite pathetic. The only war I had before Marco Polo was the historical one with Com China (which ended via the Xi'an event) - I soon after inherited all the warlords bar Sinkiang. Not even knowing what the triggers were, I triggered the 'Fading of the Sun' event by May 26 1938 after Marco Polo triggered on 2 July 1937. Without these voluntary limitations I believe I could've defeated Japan by late-1937/early-1938.

So far this does not surprise me. Late 1937 should be possible for sure. In DD it was rather possible to trigger fading sun in late 1936. The crucial thing back then was to annex all warlords in the proper sequence in order to inherit their troops with minimal loss of strenght. Since repairing of Infra was no issue having 60 to 108 full strenght Inf divisions at 1936 standard and with 55+ org by mid 1936. That and cheap offensive supplies allowed to annihilate the japanese much more easily than now. Compared to that china is too hard now. An experienced human player beating AI at medium settings however says rather little in any case.

How about you start a china campaign 1936 with vanilla 1.09 set 26 but with the one modification than event 20 will not trigger. Simply seeing that 20 is somewhere in sleepevent = { ... 20 ... } at the relativ bottom of the savegame should do that. Than build up ic, Infra and army as you see best for a war against a human japan to start at Danzig. Except not joining an alliance with or declaring war on anything but the legitimate targets Tibet, CHC, SIK and the warlords i see no need for special restrictions.
Hmmm, if I can find an interested player I'll do a test run of delaying Marco Polo until Sep 1939 with me as China and him/her as Japan (yes I have encountered a female who plays AoD!) Heck... if you're up for a game Pang, I'll play you!

MP is nothing for me. I might however play a similar sp campaign as japan(but taking the marco pole event with the peace option) in order to merge the two savegames into one which could be used as starting point for a mp campaign. The saves should be of july the first 1939. Delaying the attack till Danzig is only proper if japan joins axis early and i would like to leave 10-30 days for preparations of the attack itself.

The strategy to inherit the wardlords via war would still work. And it saves 20-25% dissent minus the 4.44% per war declared by CHI itself. So my guess is that it mainly increases infra repair costs a lot. It would also increase supply consumption, but that would not seem to be a bottleneck as long as those can be imported cheaply.

So far this does not surprise me. Late 1937 should be possible for sure. In DD it was rather possible to trigger fading sun in late 1936. The crucial thing back then was to annex all warlords in the proper sequence in order to inherit their troops with minimal loss of strenght. Since repairing of Infra was no issue having 60 to 108 full strenght Inf divisions at 1936 standard and with 55+ org by mid 1936. That and cheap offensive supplies allowed to annihilate the japanese much more easily than now. Compared to that china is too hard now. An experienced human player beating AI at medium settings however says rather little in any case.
What would surprise you?

MP is nothing for me.
Ok, but I'm sorry to say I don't understand what you're saying. Do you prefer SP?

I might however play a similar sp campaign as japan(but taking the marco pole event with the peace option) in order to merge the two savegames into one which could be used as starting point for a mp campaign. The saves should be of july the first 1939. Delaying the attack till Danzig is only proper if japan joins axis early and i would like to leave 10-30 days for preparations of the attack itself.
I'm up for that. I'll play as China until 1 July 1939 on sp and then, hopefully, I can show you how overpowered China really is. Umm, Japan joining the Axis in Jan 1936 might be a bit too much, but I'm happy to see if China can still handle such a Japan. Feel free to leave the Axis before Danzig so you can focus all your efforts on China. I promise not to join the Allies, but assume it's okay for me to annex CHC, TIB and SIK whenever I want. Can I ask for two rules: No bombing my capital once it has less then 50% infra due to the unrealistic effect I has on supplying my entire army and no running on 0 supplies (I'm happy with you sending your army to Manchuria so that Manchu industry covers your supply cost though).

What would surprise you?

If i knew it would hardly be a surprise. But i hate surprises anyway. :D

Ok, but I'm sorry to say I don't understand what you're saying. Do you prefer SP?

Well, yes. More precisely i donnot consider mp an option for me. So just to be clear: I have no intention to ever join a mp campaign.

Umm, Japan joining the Axis in Jan 1936 might be a bit too much, but I'm happy to see if China can still handle such a Japan. Feel free to leave the Axis before Danzig so you can focus all your efforts on China.

Since i believe Japan is much stronger by mid 1939 i will not join axis prior to Danzig.

I promise not to join the Allies, but assume it's okay for me to annex CHC, TIB and SIK whenever I want.

Sure. I would be more worried about you joining axis in 1936 as is quite possible and sensible for china.

Can I ask for two rules: No bombing my capital once it has less then 50% infra due to the unrealistic effect I has on supplying my entire army and no running on 0 supplies (I'm happy with you sending your army to Manchuria so that Manchu industry covers your supply cost though).

I will not run on zero supplies. The bombing rule seems too strong for my taste, especially reducing ic to zero might be important, but since i will not join the war anyway it is of no relevance for me.

If i knew it would hardly be a surprise. But i hate surprises anyway. :D
Haha, good point!

Well, yes. More precisely i donnot consider mp an option for me. So just to be clear: I have no intention to ever join a mp campaign.
Oh, ok, you made yourself very clear. Out of curiosity, may I ask why?

Since i believe Japan is much stronger by mid 1939 i will not join axis prior to Danzig.
Sure. I would be more worried about you joining axis in 1936 as is quite possible and sensible for china.
I will not run on zero supplies. The bombing rule seems too strong for my taste, especially reducing ic to zero might be important, but since i will not join the war anyway it is of no relevance for me.
Oh, sorry I mis-read. Since you're not going to play past 1 July 1939 I think I'll find someone who'll play Japan from 1936 onwards as they'll probably want to develop their own strategy. But I'll make sure the rules we have in place will be used.

Oh, ok, you made yourself very clear. Out of curiosity, may I ask why?

Doing things at my choice of time and my choice of speed is rather important for me. mp is too much of a comprimise. In sp i use a seemingly erratic combination of pause and (near) max speed. Also i donnot like to lose which i would expect to be more likely in mp.

Oh, sorry I mis-read. Since you're not going to play past 1 July 1939 I think I'll find someone who'll play Japan from 1936 onwards as they'll probably want to develop their own strategy. But I'll make sure the rules we have in place will be used.

Sure, that is fine with me. Imo it is crucial for the japan player to take advantage of superior tc and ese. This is done by using big numbers in war stily that in the beginning seems like a war of attrition. The proper comprimise of a too small army and too small manpower reserves would likely be crucial. But is suppose other strategies could work, too.

Doing things at my choice of time and my choice of speed is rather important for me. mp is too much of a comprimise. In sp i use a seemingly erratic combination of pause and (near) max speed. Also i donnot like to lose which i would expect to be more likely in mp.
Hmm, well the 9 people I currently play with are content playing at very slow since it's war time, with people still pausing in between. When at peace we normally play at below normal speed as AoD doesn't seem to handle online play very well (an area where DH beats AoD hands down, but I still prefer AoD online due to the superior game mechanics).

Also i donnot like to lose which i would expect to be more likely in mp.
Aha, well for me that is half the fun! Winning all the time can get boring, especially against a retarded opponent (i.e. any AI). Well feel free to join our new game as Nat China, I'm sure you won't lose - if only because of your extremely efficient mathematical brain ensuring China's potential is taken to the max! :D

Sure, that is fine with me. Imo it is crucial for the japan player to take advantage of superior tc and ese. This is done by using big numbers in war stily that in the beginning seems like a war of attrition. The proper comprimise of a too small army and too small manpower reserves would likely be crucial. But is suppose other strategies could work, too.
AFAIK Japan did not need to have big numbers when fighting China. The current circumstance forces Japan to defeat China before attacking the western Allies, otherwise such an attack would be even more suicidal then it was IRL. Currently, thanks to the increased Allied peace-time IC, the USA can match Japan militarily by 1940. If editing China is out of the question, I would propose giving Japan more base IC and the resources to handle it, perhaps just 20IC - while also making the USA's base IC to 350 to reflect it's colossal industrial strength, while making it's peace-time IC modifier 28% (i.e. an effective IC of ~100, rather than the current 142).

Well feel free to join our new game as Nat China, I'm sure you won't lose - if only because of your extremely efficient mathematical brain ensuring China's potential is taken to the max! :D

I suppose if i disband any single unit in order to increase Infra ASAP, than i would not lose a single battle. :rofl:

AFAIK Japan did not need to have big numbers when fighting China. The current circumstance forces Japan to defeat China before attacking the western Allies, otherwise such an attack would be even more suicidal then it was IRL. Currently, thanks to the increased Allied peace-time IC, the USA can match Japan militarily by 1940. If editing China is out of the question, I would propose giving Japan more base IC and the resources to handle it, perhaps just 20IC - while also making the USA's base IC to 350 to reflect it's colossal industrial strength, while making it's peace-time IC modifier 28% (i.e. an effective IC of ~100, rather than the current 142).

IRL Japan did attack in 1937 and not in 1939. In 1937 China only had 6 1936 Standard Infantry division. In AoD China is much more aggresive at upgrading and reinforcing its existing units. Still IRL figures reached 5600 k soldiers for China and 5000 k soldiers for Japan, from which 900 k were collaborators. IRL Japan had no harsh manpower shortage in terms of manpower available for fighting but both sides were reluctant to wage offensives due to high expected costs.

Second Period: October 25, 1938 (Fall of Wuhan) – December 1941 (before the Allies' declaration of war on Japan).

During this period, the main Chinese objective was to drag out the war for as long as possible, thereby exhausting Japanese resources while building up Chinese military capacity. American general Joseph Stilwell called this strategy "winning by outlasting". The NRA adopted the concept of "magnetic warfare" to attract advancing Japanese troops to definite points where they were subjected to ambush, flanking attacks, and encirclements in major engagements. The most prominent example of this tactic was the successful defense of Changsha in 1939 (and again in 1941), in which heavy casualties were inflicted on the IJA.

Local Chinese resistance forces, organised separately by both the communists and KMT, continued their resistance in occupied areas to pester the enemy and make their administration over the vast land area of China difficult. In 1940 the Chinese Red Army launched a major offensive in north China, destroying railways and a major coal mine. These constant harassment and sabotage operations deeply frustrated the Japanese army and led them to employ the "Three Alls Policy" (kill all, loot all, burn all) (三光政策, Hanyu Pinyin: Sānguāng Zhèngcè, Japanese On: Sankō Seisaku). It was during this period that the bulk of Japanese war crimes were committed.

By 1941 Japan had occupied much of north and coastal China, but the KMT central government and military had successfully retreated to the western interior to continue their resistance, while the Chinese communists remained in control of base areas in Shaanxi. In the occupied areas, Japanese control was mainly limited to railroads and major cities ("points and lines"). They did not have a major military or administrative presence in the vast Chinese countryside, where Chinese guerillas roamed freely. This stalemate situation made a decisive victory seem impossible to the Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_War#Full_scale_invasion_of_China

Somehow i grow confident that the current state of AoD in the china theatre is an acceptable approximation of what happened IRL. Changing it in any direction would cause more harm to general balance than preventing such harm.

I suppose if i disband any single unit in order to increase Infra ASAP, than i would not lose a single battle. :rofl:
Haha, well perhaps that's the most logical strategy, an Axis China can be even more devastating!

Changing it in any direction would cause more harm to general balance than preventing such harm.
Maybe you're right in single-player AoD but I donnot think so for multi-player. But we've been tweaking the game to our liking already anyway - trying to maximise the AI's production and research potential, it can do so much more then it does on vanilla! It's free research and brigade building, plus no retooling can make the AI extremely hard to beat in terms of production.

A related question, why does Xi'an event fire so early in the first place? Its historical date is December 12, but the event can trigger since March and usually does relatively soon.

Changing the event to its historical date, and thus delaying the possible semi-unification of China would possibly help the current situation by favouring the Japanese, since having a unified China so early in the game is unrealistic and unbalancing.