• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tengri

01_EMBASSY_PROPOSE
22 Badges
Jun 20, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Assuming this is true, my faith is restored... HOPE THEY ALSO GIVE US SCOTTISH CLANS!

Tribal Holdings
So, the first thing that I accosted Doomdark about was the suitability of feudal mechanics to represent even the Old Gods start date, let alone the newer, earlier start. In return, I was told about a new type of holding that hopes to rectify this: ‘tribal’ holdings.
Tribal holdings (though I don’t know if that will be their actual in game names) sound like they will be much like castles, bishoprics and cities, although Doomdark also put trade posts in that list, which leads me to believe they might be an over-holding of some sort (to prevent the awkwardness of having one holding change to another later in the game). Essentially tribal holdings will represent lands that aren’t properly fortified yet, more owned by virtue of people living there than by people actually building towns etc.
An interesting aspect of tribal holdings, as Johan later expanded on them to me, is that vassals who are ‘tribal’ (presumably a new title equivalent to count, based on your holding type) don’t provide levies in the way that a feudal vassal does. Instead, a tribal vassal must be called to arms, like an ally. In this way, your vassal management becomes much more important, and vassal ties are much looser. A king can only gain power if he is respected enough by his vassals, even more so than currently, and a vassal maintains full control of his own armies, making war much more scattered.
I don’t know if I can emphasise how much I really, really love this idea. The reign of a king in this era was much more loose than CK2 currently has it (and even later than the 1066 start really), and the idea of a king having to scrounge support from vassals rather than just expect them to provide levies feels much more in keeping. In addition, with the elective gavelkind succession, the idea of a king having very little power over his subjects is expanded.

now they have an imperial administration system to go along side it I will have a massive Historical hard on!

Hopeful this system will even be used up till the 11th century like it did historically.
Good show Paradox, good show...... this time.

Yeah, I read a little about tribal titles earlier and I'm really looking forward to the dev diary on them. It sounds like a really cool idea that could add a huge amount to the game. Calling in vassals to wars is so good.

This sounds great, aside from the fact that the vassal maintains control of their levies. I really hate losing wars because my AI allies are absolute imbeciles who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

While this sounds like an interesting idea, my gripe with this (as mentioned by SoveriegnGrave) is that AI allies tend to be...lacking in the intelligence department. Of course, this holds true for enemy AI as well but ultimately a win or a loss should be determined by the actions of the player, not the AI reenacting Galipoli in Venice.

Speaking of tribes, I wonder how larger tribal realms (confederacies) and smaller sub-tribes (baronies) will be handled as well as their (intra- and inter-) national movements to nearby (fertile) lands. I know that the migration period was coming to an end in 769 but hardly all tribes could have settled by then? For example the hungarians were still a migrating people in the 9th century.

Tribes that have not yet settled could have a special type of holding that would clog all the barony level slots of a county. When said tribe choose to migrate their holdings transform to levies and they get a special causus belli to attack their neighbour tribes. If they win the war their levies transform to holdings in the conquered province and the defeated tribe is forced to migrate.

However tribal and nomadic realms should be more unstable and prone to collapse from internal strife when the ruler dies. Chieftans respect strenght and prestige and your charachter must have that in order to hold his realm together. Your tribal realm would be more of a confederacy of different, smaller tribes and in order to have a stable and strong realm these lesser tribes (counts or barons depending on your title) have to be subjugated in some way so that they recognize your rule. They would also become a nuisance to anyone who would conquer the territory in which they currently reside. (as they would seize the opportunity and try to become independant)

These "independent" tribes could be present in most low level provinces on the world map at the start. It would be historically accurate (Tribes/Indigenous populations existed in many parts of northern Scandinavia, Russia, Asia and Africa) and it would also make it funnier to play in any of these low level provinces. These would represent people in your province that is currently out of your reach, that is they live independently of your rule. For example other tribes/nomads that currently do not recognize your rule over the land and thus function as an independent barony.

When playing a christian or any other charachter in a "settled" and "civilized" realm these special tribal holdings would be a pain for you as well since they block the construction of additional holdings in your county. In order to unlock more building slots you have to deal with this native problem. This could be made in a variety of ways. They could have their own diplomacy button where you could interact with them. You could try to befriend them and assimilate them (they become settled), ignore them and hope that they vanish in time, or try to drive them off with force. It would also be nice if conquered pagans could become a native force as well so that the county is not entirely conquered just because you took their province (ie. they relocate to another spot in that sparsely populated province you just conquered). The native strength could be measured in their numbers and hostility to the current owner of the province. Another cool feature would be if they could aid you if they like you when the province is under siege or join forces with the aggressor if they hate you.

I also that you as a strong pagan will be able to demand tributes from nearby lesser realms instead of just subjugating them (and thus have to deal with their internal tribal strifes) and that the AI will use this option as well instead of just blobbing everything it sees.

While this sounds like an interesting idea, my gripe with this (as mentioned by SoveriegnGrave) is that AI allies tend to be...lacking in the intelligence department. Of course, this holds true for enemy AI as well but ultimately a win or a loss should be determined by the actions of the player, not the AI reenacting Galipoli in Venice.

It's almost like war is harder to wage effectively without centralization. Makes perfect sense to me, in a period before feudalism.

Speaking of tribes, I wonder how larger tribal realms (confederacies) and smaller sub-tribes (baronies) will be handled as well as their (intra- and inter-) national movements to nearby (fertile) lands. I know that the migration period was coming to an end in 769 but hardly all tribes could have settled by then? For example the hungarians were still a migrating people in the 9th century.

Tribes that have not yet settled could have a special type of holding that would clog all the barony level slots of a county. When said tribe choose to migrate their holdings transform to levies and they get a special causus belli to attack their neighbour tribes. If they win the war their levies transform to holdings in the conquered province and the defeated tribe is forced to migrate.

However tribal and nomadic realms should be more unstable and prone to collapse from internal strife when the ruler dies. Chieftans respect strenght and prestige and your charachter must have that in order to hold his realm together. Your tribal realm would be more of a confederacy of different, smaller tribes and in order to have a stable and strong realm these lesser tribes (counts or barons depending on your title) have to be subjugated in some way so that they recognize your rule. They would also become a nuisance to anyone who would conquer the territory in which they currently reside. (as they would seize the opportunity and try to become independant)

These "independent" tribes could be present in most low level provinces on the world map at the start. It would be historically accurate (Tribes/Indigenous populations existed in many parts of northern Scandinavia, Russia, Asia and Africa) and it would also make it funnier to play in any of these low level provinces. These would represent people in your province that is currently out of your reach, that is they live independently of your rule. For example other tribes/nomads that currently do not recognize your rule over the land and thus function as an independent barony.

When playing a christian or any other charachter in a "settled" and "civilized" realm these special tribal holdings would be a pain for you as well since they block the construction of additional holdings in your county. In order to unlock more building slots you have to deal with this native problem. This could be made in a variety of ways. They could have their own diplomacy button where you could interact with them. You could try to befriend them and assimilate them (they become settled), ignore them and hope that they vanish in time, or try to drive them off with force. It would also be nice if conquered pagans could become a native force as well so that the county is not entirely conquered just because you took their province (ie. they relocate to another spot in that sparsely populated province you just conquered). The native strength could be measured in their numbers and hostility to the current owner of the province. Another cool feature would be if they could aid you if they like you when the province is under siege or join forces with the aggressor if they hate you.

I also that you as a strong pagan will be able to demand tributes from nearby lesser realms instead of just subjugating them (and thus have to deal with their internal tribal strifes) and that the AI will use this option as well instead of just blobbing everything it sees.

I could almost swear I've seen this exact chunk of text elsewhere on these forums, in another thread about tribal holdings or something.

I could almost swear I've seen this exact chunk of text elsewhere on these forums, in another thread about tribal holdings or something.
Same here.

And checking his post history, I found the exact same post here and here. This appears to be the third time he's posted that post.

Darn, if this is true, it's going to be the best DLC yet! I mean come on, miniscule decision and a few minor events are pretty cool, but new mechanics that deepen the game? That's awesome! Paradox, more of this, please!

This definitely sounds promising, I certainly hope we will see some tribal vassals in the later start dates then as well, 866 for sure and probably a few of the back waters in 1066, might even be a new system for the Mongols as well

I'm interested in the nature of the transfer from being Tribal to being Feudal, is it simply a matter of the tribal count building a castle for himself on his land and settling there? can we build it for him? do we have to build it for him?

I see your point. Maybe Paradox should try and include options to guide AI allies and vassals - being able to, say, designate a rally point or select a region to attack or defend.

I certainly hope we will see some tribal vassals in the later start dates then as well, 866 for sure and probably a few of the back waters in 1066,

Most definitely. The Atlas mountains in Morocco, a major source of military manpower up to the 16th century and probably beyond, should have lots of tribal holdings. Kurdish tribal levies played major roles in 17th century Ottoman-Safavid conflicts. Ditto with Irish and Scottish clans. I'd say it should be quite difficult to turn tribal holdings into feudal holdings if they're in rough terrain.

This definitely sounds promising, I certainly hope we will see some tribal vassals in the later start dates then as well, 866 for sure and probably a few of the back waters in 1066, might even be a new system for the Mongols as well

I'm interested in the nature of the transfer from being Tribal to being Feudal, is it simply a matter of the tribal count building a castle for himself on his land and settling there? can we build it for him? do we have to build it for him?

I think (and I'd guess this is how it will work) it should be a decision to "settle down", similar to pagan reformation, that you can take when you have a Kingdom title or higher. It will cost a bunch of gold, maybe some piety, and all your tribal holdings will become baronies. It would also make sense to flag it with the "No vassals with opinion below 0" tag, and maybe a tech restriction.

This would work with the existing Magyars- you could Settle Down in Hungary, or keep invading further west if you're feeling plucky. The hitch would be how to handle losing old tribal holdings. They can't really just say that you'll lose all the ones outside your de jure kingdom, since the expansion will let us create custom kingdoms. I'd have to know more about how that mechanic will work to guess.