• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its nice to see a game where they use the roads system of CiM 2. its really good and flexible. Unfortunately the buildings look grey and too repetitive. If they want to make a city simulation I really expect more types of buildings. In every screenshot I can see the same building at least 4 times.

The main features also didn't mention schools, firefighters, energy. I wonder what this game is aiming.

Well they mentioned modding in the trailer so that's a good start.

I would almost guarantee that is the same engine, unity. Perhaps with modding we could make this new game cities in motion 3?

Its the announcement trailer and the footage shown i clearly labelled as alpha footage, give them a chance before dismissing the game they can't show everything at an early stage of development in a 1 minute trailer.....

Well its nice to see a game where they use the roads system of CiM 2. its really good and flexible. Unfortunately the buildings look grey and too repetitive. If they want to make a city simulation I really expect more types of buildings. In every screenshot I can see the same building at least 4 times.

The main features also didn't mention schools, firefighters, energy. I wonder what this game is aiming.

If you look at one of the images which shows the UI, you can see tabs relating to Medical, Firefighter and Law Enforcement (as well as Government, Education, Power, Garbage, Water, Money, Infrastructure, Zoning etc). They'll also very probably add more buildings when the game comes closer to release.

Last edited:
My biggest fear is modding. It says in the trailer modding will be supported, but i seem to recall that one of the reasons CiM2 had such limited modding support was because of the Unity engine. Really hope we get more tools this time around.
its not so much unity itself, other unity games have shown it is quite moddable.

The game looks great but kind of disappointing. This is what CIM2 should of looked like, and now it looks like instead of a CIM3 we are getting a watered down version of public transport. Would be great if this new game had all the transport features like Timetables etc as well as the new city building options.

its not so much unity itself, other unity games have shown it is quite moddable.

The game looks great but kind of disappointing. This is what CIM2 should of looked like, and now it looks like instead of a CIM3 we are getting a watered down version of public transport. Would be great if this new game had all the transport features like Timetables etc as well as the new city building options.

Agreed. Skylines should be CiM3 + City building game. Skylines should also have a transportation-only CiM classic mode.

Skylines should also have a transportation-only CiM classic mode.
Well I don't think what it should, but it really will be very nice if in Skylines will be "advanced" transport system with ability to creating lines. But not only buses and metro, please, trams and trolleybuses will be very-very nice.

One little question about modding: it really will be able to added ours models of buildings? I hope so, in CiM1 we made very realistic soviet cities, like this, for example, with USSR buildings pack.

Agreed. Skylines should be CiM3 + City building game. Skylines should also have a transportation-only CiM classic mode.

I am in the camp that there should automatic transportation, like where we put down the bus stops and game does it on it's own. HOWEVER, I would not say no to being able to set the lines of the buses, but not super-detailed like how often they run and things. Or even as DLC or an option, you can go into detail.

Also, I am a bit worried that even if there is traffic in my city, the simulation will stay say I am collecting all the garbage and things. One of the few things Sim City 2013 did well was that each garbage truck/ambulance/fire truck was real, so things only got down when it got done. And I heard Shams say that Cities Skyline is placing the Underlying Simulation first and the Visual Simulation is a bit separated from that.

I just don't want the game to be like "You have collected all the garbage!" when my garbage trucks have never been to that area.

I hope the Dev Diaries start soon. :D

Last edited:
Also, I am a bit worried that even if there is traffic in my city, the simulation will stay say I am collecting all the garbage and things. One of the few things Sim City 2013 did well was that each garbage truck/ambulance/fire truck was real, so things only got down when it got done. And I heard Shams say that Cities Skyline is placing the Underlying Simulation first and the Visual Simulation is a bit separated from that.

I just don't want the game to be like "You have collected all the garbage!" when my garbage trucks have never been to that area.

Except it was one of the things that SimCity5 did not do well; because it was dependent on the visual objects. If they somehow failed (perhaps a glitch), the garbage would not have been collected. Generally speaking, the agent system in SimCity5 was a huge failure. Interesting in theory, but not working when implemented.

Old SimCity games worked better with an underlying simulation and an above visualisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.