• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
500px-Great_coat_of_arms_of_the_Grand_Duchy_of_Tuscany.svg.png

Grand Duchy of Tuscany

Grand Duchy of Tuscany claims territories of Republic of Lucca to be integral part of Grand Duchy of Tuscany and here by declares war on Republic of Lucca! Let us go foward and unite all of Tuscany once again!

His Royal Highness the Grand Duke of Tuscany Ferdinand III

j6pJya6.gif

Republic of Liège

Our freedom has been won at last, and the reactionary tyrant fled the country, and his reign of terror finally came to an end. The popular militias have been raised, in each bonne ville citizens-soldiers are ready to defend our freedom. In the countryside, peasants leave their fields to defend our people. However, we will do our utmost to avoid blooshed, and that's why we will enter negotiations with the Westphalian Circle. We aren't capitulating, we are defending the revolution with the pen.

But Liege doesn't wish to destroy positive tradition. the revolution is a form of evolution, and the government deems that the legal relations between Liege and the Empire as they legally stand are positive for both parties. While Liege certainly won't agree to become property of any despot, ecclesiastical or not, the status of 1717 should be kept, with a slight modification allowing Liege to live its republican life. The Empire, and the Circle of Westphalia more precisely, ought to agree with our proposal, as it wouldn't endanger their own possessions and would guarantee hem that the revolutionary fervour of the Liegeois people remains contained to our grand republic. Liege should vote along with the free cities for the Imperial Diet, guaranteeing the continuity of Imperial authority over our territory, keeping the status of 1717 in mind.

It's with this ideas of fraternity and collabortaion in mind that I ask the Duke of Cleves, King of Prussia, to consider our request. A man of his status ought to understand the need of peace and stability within the Circle.

500px-Flag_of_the_Habsburg_Monarchy.svg.png

While I must make it clear that I would rather avoid needless bloodshed, I find myself forced to question the Liegeois rebels about the aid they have been reported to have provided to the Brabantian rebels. Said action leads me to question the authenticity of their movement, as they have helped a rebel and reactionary movement which sole aim is to oppose the principles of enlightenment and to oppress my subjects.

Again, I shall make something clear: While I do not desire to lose my men to crush the aforementioned revolt unless it is agreed in the Imperial College that it is a threat to the Empire, I will not stand as certain elements attempt to bring backwardness to the Austrian Netherlands.

370px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png

Kingdom of Denmark​

The Kingdom of Denmark is more than anything surprised by the random Genoan attack on our colonies in africa and in the West indies. We demand a complete explanation on these unjustified attacks on our sovereign territory. Your ports will be under a complete blockade by the Royal Danish Navy until we deem it is necessary to remove the blockade.

King Christian the VII, King of Denmark

This is a message by his Imperial Majesty The Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II

I shall now address the Italian matters.

On the issue of the Sardinian invasion of Genoa I make it clear that I believe the aforementioned attack was unjustified and a barbaric act, as it was carried on despite no prior declaration of war. Thus I am led to believe that the actions of the Sardinians are a threat to Civilized diplomacy and Italy alike. Still addressing issues related to the Republic of Genoa I request their withdraw of Danish territory, as their actions against the King of Denmark are on the same scale as the Sardinian invasion.

On the issue of Lucca I have yet to take a position, but I believe that my brother has legitimate reasons to believe that restoring Tuscan rule to all of Tuscany is needed. However I shall maintain myself willing to listen to the grievances of the regional states before I may support or oppose such a war.

Last edited:
j6pJya6.gif

Republic of Liège

We thank the emperor for his words of peace, and wish to collaborate with him to avoid a war. While representatives of the Liegeois people did enter talks with the Brabantian rebels, the objective was achieve convergence between our two movements, and to weaken the Statist hold on the Brabantian revolution. Our main objective wasn't aimed against you nor at your possessions, but we wanted to strengthen the Vonckist Democrats and thus to strengthen the spirit of liberty. To see if this spirit of liberty can be achieved under your wise guidance or not remains to be seen, between you and the Brabantians.

This is a message by his Imperial Majesty The Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II

Following the response given by the Liegeois rebels, I have decided that addressing that issue in an Imperial diet would be appropriate. As such I declare my intent to call an Imperial Diet in the near future which aim will be addressing the issue of the deposed bishop and the Liegeois revolution, taking into account the alleged mistreatement of his subjects by the part of the Bishop and other concerns that may rise, such as the integrity of Imperial land.

The diet shall happen next year unless more pressing concerns arise, and I invite the Rebel movement, the deposed Bishop of Liege and any other interested parties to attend the Regensburg city hall.

Coat_of_arms_of_East_Prussia.png

His Majesty hereby announces that the Kingdom of Prussia will support the proposal of the Republic of Liège and therefore announce our full recognition of the Republic of Liège as the successor state to the Bishopric of Liège.

~His Royal Highness, Heinrich von Hohenstaufen, Prince of Prussia, Chief Minister of the Kingdom of Prussia acting on behalf of His Royal Majesty, Frederick William II, King of Prussia

j6pJya6.gif

Republic of Liège

The Liegeois government, in the name of the people of Liege, wishes to deeply thank both the Emperor and the King of Prussia for their positive attitude towards us. The people will now be able to live freely.

George_Washington_900x600-600x400.jpg

State of the Union Address, January 8th 1790

Fellow Citizens of the Senate, and House of Representatives,

I welcome with the most wholesome of approaches, that I may stand before you all, assembled here today, to address to you the current situation inside these United States of America. I am pleased that the state of North Carolina, an important part of our Union, has given the good confidence and to entrust her future into the hands of our national government of the union. We as a people are bless with a land as bountiful and plentiful as ours, that we exist in peace between ourselves and those abroad.

I must, however, bring notice towards the issue that we are currently embroiled in across this country. There have been concerns, legitimate at the best, that call upon our new national government, formed for a more Perfect Union, to be dissolved over disputes about the changing of our own governing Document, just now put into force effectively by the states of this union. We must be able to realise our own expectations, for all of us, as Citizens, to be able to work with those Citizens of other states, who have primary concerns of great interest to their own local populations, that such issues must be addressed in a proper matter.

In this as such, it is vital for our renewed Union, declared as one, united, entity just fourteen years ago, that we shall show, in a matter of strength, our ability to adapt to the changes and provisions that the specific section of our country, upon acceptance of the new Constitution, have agreed do and deemed necessary for their continued approval. These United States exist as an agreement between the states, where a true process through the national government can be achieved to approve of new laws, that are right and proper for the governance of these United States as a whole.

It is in the interest of these United States as a whole, that a return to the previously unworkable and loose Confederation of States we had previously existed under was far inferior to the current union in which we are so blessed by Providence to have created. In moving forward, the government of these United States shall ensure the Rule of Law is upheld in all areas of her territory, and that, should the adoption of new Amendments to the Constitution, the national government shall work in all of its ability to ensure the rights of all Citizens to not be abrogated by any legislation in the United States Congress that shall be passed in the future after the adoption of said Amendments.

One of the more particular objects that I wish to engage your attention with, is the ability for our nation to provide for the common defence of our nation as a whole. While some may look upon such measures with scorn, I must stress the importance of being prepared for war is the simple most effective means for preserving peace.

A free people ought to be both armed and disciplined. In doing so, one must provide the means and methods of a Uniform, and the gear and necessities that accompany it, with such measures as an effective plan of actions for the overall defense of our country. I must also voice my support for the establishment of manufactories, particularly of the sort for the production of military goods, to make them independent of other methods and means of material importation into the army.

At a time, there was reason to hope, that measures taken in regards to specific hostile tribes of Indians, would have resulted in the peaceful coexistence of our people. Now as a Rebellion against the government of these United States rages on in the Northwestern portions of the country, we must stand strong in this face of opposition, to afford protection to these parts of the union, and if necessary, to provide for the common defense of the Citizens and Settlers in this area, and to bring about the punishment of these aggressors.

To move to the situation which concerns the interests of these United States abroad, our own intercourse with other nations around the world, should and ought to be facilitated by the guidance of the Department of State, which in so shall fulfill my duty as advancing both the public good, and the cause of these United States across the world. With this, the same considerations must be given to my office for the adoption and acceptance of foreigners who wish to ascend to the rights of Citizens, that I shall act in the utmost of urgencies by the duty of my office to bring about a standardised system of naturalisation.

The uniform nature of currency, weights, and measures of the United States is a matter of great important to our own national livelihood, and it is someone that I shall work to address in the due time and manner in which it should be given time and thought to bear.

It should be without statement before you all that the advancement of agriculture, commerce, and manufactures should go steadily in these United States, for I do not see an instance in which I should be in the position to deeply encourage such measures into these United States, for such actions can and will be attended to by both the Citizens of these United States and the Governments and Legislatures there of. The skills and geniuses that inhabit, and shall inhabit, these United States shall be given great focus, and to help facilitate these methods, work on the issuing of Patents shall be given due process, along with the attention to Post Offices and Post Roads across these United States.

To address the most important issue befalling us today, would the the subject of our collective futures. There is no cause that I believe should be brought to the attention for the continued patronage of our national Legislature than the promotion of Science and Literature. Knowledge in this country, and I daresay the world, has been the supreme basis of public happiness and well being into the future. It is, at the core, the measures of the government to be able to perceive and gauge the effectiveness of their own governance and the essential blocs for the establishment of the society in which all Men are to live in enlightened confidence. With the methods of teaching themselves, they shall learn the invaluable skills of our society, to become good and productive Citizens of the states in which they reside, that they become the Masters of the knowledge between Oppression and the necessary exercise of lawful authority; to discriminate the spirit of liberty from that of licentiousness, cherishing the first, avoiding the last, and uniting a force, in haste, in vigilance against any and all encroachments against the natural Rule of Law, with respect to the former as such.

This outcome is one of which must be paid most attention to, and would be best achieved by the promotion of aid to areas of learning already established, along with the establishment of a national university, all of which should be discussed by the due process by this legislature before me.

Of the issues I have laid upon you, the assembled Houses of our national Government, I have directed the proper channels of the Executive Office of the United States of America to provide for you the needed estimates and papers upon which the conclusion of my recommendations, to be delivered at the most possible of haste, of the information in this state of the Union.

The general welfare of our country is the greatest goal to which my own force shall be driven to. The cares and matters of all the Citizens of all states in our United States are of the utmost importance to acquire great satisfaction from the national government. I shall pledge to all, that I shall take pleasure in the rough and long last of ensuring that all of our fellow citizens are bestowed the blessing of which they now have a right to expect from us, from a free and equal government.

New York City, United States of America

200px-George_Washington_signature.svg.png

President George Washington

Major events of 1790

venice_italy.jpg

Europe

Money is spent in Great Britain on government celebrations, though it is unclear what is being celebrated. Particularly lavish parties in London contrast poorly with the news coming from across the channel. In rural areas free drink handed out to the people certainly boosts the popularity of individual politicians, though it does little to promote national unity.

Partially due to the previously mentioned spending, which the opposition decries as bribery, the 1790 election return a government majority, with William Pitt the Younger remaining as Prime Minister. Using his expanded power the Prime Minister shifts the administrative reform begun last year to include the government. Bypassing some of the more senior members of his own coalition Pitt choses a group of extremely capable administrators to fill key posts, though this wins him few friends among those who were bypassed for the appointments.

Despite the fact that the clergy voted to join the Third Estate in creating the National Assembly and thus legitimized that body in 1789, by 1790 the National Assembly adopts a very anti-clerical stance. First the right of the Church to collect a tithe is abolished, and then in 1790 all Church property not linked to a place of worship is confiscated, including the Papal enclave of Avignon which is annexed forcefully to France. The Civil Constitution of the Clergy turns all clergy into employees of the state, though both this Constitution and the annexation of Avignon are denounced in Rome. Facing a deteriorating financial situation the National Assembly authorizes the issuing of a new currency, called the assignat, backed by former Church property, thus generating some much-needed revenue for the year.

As a final step in the abolition of feudalism the National Assembly dispenses with the historical provinces of France and replaces them with 83 départements, uniformly administered and roughly equal in area and population. In a popular move the Assembly grants all men over the age of 25 who pay taxes equal to three days’ labor the right to vote for a regional assembly once the Constitution is complete. In the meantime, with the old regional administrations abolished and the new ones not set to be created until next year the country continues to be administered in an ad-hoc manner.

In late 1790, the French army is in considerable disarray. The military officer corps is largely composed of noblemen, who find it increasingly difficult to maintain order within the ranks. In some cases, soldiers drawn from the lower classes turn against their aristocratic commanders and attack them. At Nancy, General Bouillé successfully puts down one such rebellion, only to be accused of being anti-revolutionary for doing so. This and other such incidents spur a mass desertion as more and more officers defect to other countries, leaving a dearth of experienced leadership within the army.

With the expansion in the East Indies the Dutch feel the need for an enlarged navy, their current one having been humbled in the Anglo-Dutch War just a few years prior. Emphasis is placed on the construction of a large number of frigates that are able to operate independently in distant places and thus able to support the Dutch colonial ambitions.

The Dutch also begin a series of changes to the army. Weapons are purchased from abroad, especially from Liege, and a number of officers who have fled France are hired to bolster the number of experienced soldiers in the army. While these measures are unlikely to drastically change the army’s quality, the small changes do add up to create significant improvements.

The arms manufacturers of Liege are eager to produce weapons both for the militias organized in Liege and for foreign armies. The Dutch buy a substantial amount of these weapons, though there are other customers as well. In addition to weapons the artisans of Liege continue to produce cast and wrought iron that is used in construction throughout the Low Countries and in Germany. Again, the Dutch military is one of the primary customers as it purchases a lot of the materials for the fortifications being constructed around the Netherlands.

Meanwhile Austrian and Colognian troops march into the Austrian Netherlands with the intention of ending the revolt there. The Austrian veterans have no trouble defeating the Brabant militia outside of Namur. On 24 October imperial troops take the city, forcing the province of Namur to recognize the authority of the emperor. Two days later, the province of West Flanders follows suit, and by December the entire territory is again in imperial hands. Despite the military success resistance to Habsburg rule continues in parts of the Netherlands, with organizers and agitators fleeing to the Netherlands and exploiting the events in Italy to generate anti-Austrian sentiment.

A lot of money is spent in Prussia on re-starting the project of building canals across the country. Costs again spiral out of control, but at least this year some progress is made. The project appears to have cost a lot more than any possible benefit it could bring, but since the money is mostly already spent the work continues anyways.

Meanwhile a number of British businessmen are invited to Prussia to set up textile and other mills. The businessmen find Prussia to be significantly less developed compared to Britain, with no major port facilities, no easy access to cotton, and with little demand among the relatively poor people of Prussia for expensive clothes. Nothing concrete comes out of the trip other than some advice for the Prussian monarch on what could be done to improve the country.

In Cologne there is a concerted effort to spread improved agricultural techniques among the farmers. The employees of the Archbishop attend the summer fairs and routinely provide both advice and money for the improvements of farms. There is certainly interest among the farmers, especially in the money, and much of it is used to purchase working animals and to clear additional lands for farming.

The Archbishop is also very generous with those who are fleeing the violence in Liege and Brabant. Land and money are given away freely to the people who move to the country. Most are poor farmers who use the help to settle in the area outside Munster and other towns to the northeast of Cologne. The policy causes some strain with the Bishop of Liege who is unhappy with having so many people leave his country.

After securing (somewhat) his position as Duke Charles Theodore moves to fund the construction of roads and schools in Bavaria and the Palatinate. Having not previously taken an interest in the welfare of his subjects, this is an unusual display of generosity by the Duke. Most believe that it is the work of the Bavarian nobles that the Duke appointed to help him govern, with little credit for the improvements going to Charles Theodore.

Joseph II passed away on 20 February and Leopold II assumes the Austrian throne. Leopold is similarly committed to the ideas of Enlightenment and the elimination of feudalism in Austria, though his approach is much less overbearing. In one of his first acts Leopold eliminates the remnants of feudal labor obligations, requiring all landlords to convert peasant obligations into cash payments. Not only does this create more incentive for the peasants to generate money, it also fosters a commercial relationship between the peasants and the landlords.

Part of the anti-feudal reforms of Leopold is a tax that is to be imposed on the holdings of land rather than on each individual. There is resistance from the landowners, and the value of the tax is eventually reduced. Despite the fact that no additional revenue is generated the new taxation scheme is significantly more egalitarian, bringing in a lot of revenue from wealthy landowners and relatively little revenue from poor farmers around the country.

The decision by the King of Sweden to spend lavishly on concert halls, musicians, and composers raises a lot of eyebrows. The Kingdom is in some financial trouble, unable to make ends meet without borrowing money every year, and so large spending on music seems counterproductive.

What does help Swedish financial situation somewhat is the Treaty of Göteborg with Denmark. The treaty allows Swedish ships to travel through the Sound on the same terms as Danish ships, significantly increasing trade for Sweden while at the same time cutting the amount of money Denmark collects from Swedish merchants.

A large number of administrative reforms are proposed in Denmark, ranging from the bizarre to the insane. It is suggested that all administrators take an examination before being appointed to their jobs and that wealth, nobility, and other factors be disregarded. Even stranger, there is a proposal for the state to pay the fees of the doctors if anyone in government service becomes ill. Luckily for Denmark such insane ideas are not actually implemented.

A Danish fleet is also directed to Genoa in a reprisal for the Genoese attacks on Danish colonies the previous year. Two Genoese ships are lost when they are caught unaware by the large Danish fleet and the city is blockaded. Without a way to bring supplies in or out of the city the Genoese surrender to the Sardinian force that is besieging the city after four weeks of a blockade.

Following the sudden invasion of Genoa by the Sardinians the previous year the instability in Italy escalates as the newly enthroned Grand Duke of Tuscany Ferdinand III gathers his forces and invades the Republic of Lucca. The Grand Duke gathers a large force with the goal of assaulting the city of Lucca quickly. As predicted the city falls to the assault, although the Tuscan force takes significant casualties in the process.

The backlash in Italy is immense. Never quite reconciled to Habsburg rule in Milan or in Tuscany the Italian nobility actively resists the Habsburg military expansion on the peninsula. In Milan a group of Italian nobles are arrested after plotting to stage a rebellion against Leopold while in Tuscany the noble opposition ranges from a refusal to pay taxes to outright discussions and plans for a removal of Ferdinand from his position. The Habsburg position is all the more precarious following a veiled condemnation by Pope Pius VI of the attack on Lucca and the accommodation of the rebels in Liege. The condemnation is taken up by the rebels in Brabant and opponents of the family elsewhere as proof of Habsburg brutality and tyranny.

Meanwhile back in Tuscany Ferdinand authorizes the construction of a number of roads to connect Florence to port cities on the coast. Given the situation in the country and the opposition to Ferdinand from many parts of the population the work is slow, but progress can be seen by the end of the year.

Venice takes this opportunity to expand its influence in Italy. Parma and Modena both agree to a defensive alliance with Venice and to work together to minimize Habsburg influence on the peninsula. An economic agreement between the three countries is aimed at steering trade towards Italian states and away from Habsburg Austria and Tuscany.

In addition to the alliance the Venetians (having seen the only two other republics in Italy annihilated) begin a production of a large amount of weapons and cannons at the Venetian Arsenal. While the new weapons are not much better than the old ones, and thus the quality of the Venetian army changes little, a lot of this weapons find their way to Modena and Parma, as well as to the groups of people in Milan and in Tuscany who oppose Habsburg rule, creating a relatively well-armed opposition to Leopold and Ferdinand in Italy.

In Naples the King moves to replace those officers who show any signs of disloyalty. This concern for absolutely loyalty also permeates into the Nunziatella Military Academy, where emphasis is placed on loyalty to the King rather than on military competence. As such the graduates are men who are extremely skilled in displaying loyalty to the King and the country, and perhaps less skilled in matters of the military.

Money is also spent on a system of irrigation canals in Naples and on Sicily. The scale of the improvements is significant and will undoubtedly help the agriculture of the country. Despite the fact that the canals will not be finished for a few years some landowners are already purchasing new land and are preparing to expand their farms for when the canals are built.

Charles IV replaces a number of regional governors with those more loyal to him. While this has the beneficial effect of removing a number of the crown’s enemies from key positions, the new governors are not any more capable than the previous batch. Those who had connections to the disgraced men lose out while the families and friends of the new appointees benefit significantly.

The King also authorizes a lot of money to be spent on the production of steam machinery, though almost all of it is useless for practical purposes. Spanish inventors present ideas of steam “engines” based on the designs of James Watt, but these are insufficient to replace water power for mills. After a lot of money is spent on this endeavor it is eventually abandoned.

Having seen the disarray of the French army the Portuguese chose to focus on seeking their own internal improvements. The small Portuguese force is equipped with newer weapons and a number of experienced officers from elsewhere in Europe are hired. The improvements are small, but noticeable, although it is not clear if they will translate to a larger force that Portugal might need if it were to find itself at war.

Meanwhile land reform in Portugal has mixed results. A number of wealthy farmers who own large plots of land emerge, and these farmers contribute significantly to the growth of Portuguese agricultural production. On the other hand this means the increased marginalization of both small-scale farmers and of the landowning nobility that has to compete with the wealthy farmers.

In order to increase recruitment for the Polish army the military begins to spread anti-Austrian, Prussian, and Russian propaganda. Soldiers and officers are taught about the betrayal and brutality of the three larger neighbors and in many cases the atrocities committed by Poland’s neighbors are exaggerated. There is a significant anti-foreign sentiment in the country and recruits for the military are easily found.

At the same time there is talk of building textile mills in Poland. The country, however, has no access to cotton, its main port of Danzig is disconnected from the rest of the country, and the infrastructure and relative poverty of the people make this proposition clearly unattractive.

There is a cautious attempt in Russia to improve the country’s infrastructure. The government understands well that such an undertaking in a country as big as Russia is likely to cost an enormous amount of money. As such the projects are chosen carefully to minimize the costs. The total expense remains manageable, but because of the cautious approach it will be a few years before any real results make themselves apparent.

The administrative changes of Catherine take a more drastic form. Following the falling out with Potemkin Catherine removes a number of his supporters from power. With an eye towards stability and smooth administration of the country the Empress picks men known for their steady handling of political and military affairs as new governors and administrators. It marks the first time in many years that top appointments were made due to competence rather than political connections of the appointees.

In Turkey, Selim III begins a campaign to eradicate government corruption. Corruption is a daily reality of the Ottoman government, with bribes and favors seen as facts of life. Selim’s decisions upset many top officials, though at least on the surface the prevalence of corruption lessens. It is unclear whether Selim will actually go through with harsh punishments for those who engage in corrupt behavior (most of the administration), and so for now most officials are waiting to see how these developments unfold.

The Janissaries, however, are less deferential. It is made clear to Selim that his meddling in military affairs is unacceptable after the new Sultan criticizes the current organization of the army and suggests that European methods could benefit the quality of the Ottoman military. Those in command of the army hint that there are many possible candidates who could succeed Selim if he insists on trying to undermine their control.

Americas

US President George Washington becomes personally involved in the dispute over the amendments to the Constitution. Using his immense influence the President assures the passage of the amendments though Congress, though the number is reduced from twenty to twelve. John Hancock convinces most of the Anti-Federalists to accept the compromise, though animosity between the two political camps remains.

Despite the passage of the amendments opposition to the government continues, rallying against the financial program of Alexander Hamilton. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison organize the Republican party, made up mostly of former Anti-Federalists and states’ rights advocates. Despite numerous attempts to reach a compromise regarding the “assumption” of state debts by the federal government the Republicans successfully and repeatedly block this proposal in the House of Representatives.

After the defeat of the previous year President Washington orders Major General Arthur St. Clair to mount a more vigorous effort against the Indians. After considerable trouble finding men and supplies, St. Clair is somewhat ready, but his troops receive little training. After advancing into the Indian territory on November 4, St. Clair's force, accompanied by about 200 camp followers, encamps near the Wabash River, with weak defenses set up on the perimeter. A well-armed Native American force of about 2,000 warriors, led by Little Turtle, Blue Jacket, and Tecumseh, strikes quickly. Surprising the Americans, they soon overrun the poorly prepared perimeter. The barely trained recruits panic and are slaughtered along with many of their officers, who frantically try to restore order and stop the rout. Less than one out of every three soldiers who set out on the campaign return back to safety.

In early Spring two British vessels, the Iphigenia and the Princess Royal arrive at Vancouver island off the coast of North America. They are met by a Spanish force stationed at Fort San Miguel and led by Esteban José Martínez. The two British ships are seized by the Spanish, though both vessels are released after some weeks and are instructed to leave the area, which they promptly do.

The Spanish government lowers taxes in its colonies, cutting substantially the excise and duty taxes on trade and the land tax on plantation owners. This creates a significant shortfall in government revenues, but also encourages a significant amount of land development in the Caribbean and on the mainland. A large number of individuals chose to purchase land in Spanish America, spurring a new wave of development in the colonies.

Africa

Moroccan emissaries arrive at numerous courts in Europe. There appears to be no organized diplomatic mission, as many talk of closer political ties or trade agreements, with seemingly no coherent goal in mind. The issue of Spanish lands in North Africa is brought up in a number of courts, but everywhere dismissed, as are most other Moroccan proposals.

Meanwhile the Moroccans are the latest in a series of foreigners who wish to study the French army. The French army is in utter disarray, with mass desertions, lack of officers, and unruly militias that answer to nobody beyond their immediate commanders. Some of these elements are copied by the Moroccans, with a number of nearly independent tribe-based militias established around the country, with predictable instability and deterioration in military quality as results.

The Portuguese stage a new effort to subjugate the Kongo Kingdom to the north of their possessions in Angola. About one thousand Portuguese soldiers attempt an invasion of the Kingdom, but are repeatedly checked by small skirmishes and attacks organized by the Kongo army. After four months the Portuguese force is exhausted and demoralized, withdrawing back south without reaching its objective.

Asia and Oceania

Mohammad Khan Qajar gathers his forces for the coming confrontation with the Zand dynasty and their retainers. Drills overseen by the Khan and his commanders ensure that the soldiers, previously used mostly in quick raids, are ready for a proper battle. Despite the preparations the Qajar army performs poorly when the Zand forces attack, being defeated first in the mountains west of Shiraz and then again near Isfahan. Having defeated most of the Qajar forces Lotf Ali Khan withdraws back to his lands, feeling secure in his victory.

Meanwhile the Qajar Khan begins to regroup his scattered forces. Back in Tehran the Agha Muḥammad Academy of Warfare is established, with the goal of training officers and soldiers for the army. While the majority of the Khan’s soldiers are still levies provided by local governors, there is now a core that is being trained at the Academy. Importing tactics from the Ottoman Empire these soldiers and officers are eager to reform many aspects of the Qajar military and to avenge the defeat at the hands of Lotf Ali Khan.

In India Mahadji Sindhia appoints a number of lieutenants who are tasks with liaising between him and the local rulers. These competent agents help Mahadji coordinate the governing of the country to a much greater extent. For the first time since the establishment of the confederacy the local and central governments are acting in a coordinated manner.

Meanwhile the Mahadji himself travels to a number of large states that make up the confederacy and to other Indian states, promoting national unity in the face of European aggression. He is able to gain a significant number of sympathetic rulers who agree that European incursion into India should be stopped at any cost. There is talk of preparing for war against the Europeans.

Meanwhile Tipu Sultan continues his assault against Travancore, eventually taking Nedumkotta. General Meadows responded by marching his force into Coimbatore unstopped. Tipu’s counter attack was stopped, although with heavy casualties to the British. Tipu then withdrew to Carnatic, marching on Madras and pillaging along the way. A small British detachment from Bombay attempted an attack on Mysore, but withdrew after receiving no support from the Maratha or the Hyderabad.

The turmoil in southern India affects European trade beyond the British East India Company. Trade through the Danish outpost in Tranquebar and the French one in Pondicherry also declines sharply.

The Dutch expansion in the East Indies accelerates during the year. Having annexed large plots of land the Dutch turn to the establishment of plantations that can produce spices more efficiently than native farmers. Many natives are pressed into slavery to work on the plantations. The result is significantly increased growth and a lot higher profits for the Dutch colonies there.

In Australia natives who live along the Hawkesbury and Nepean Rivers respond to European encroachment on their lands by launching a series of raids that leave more than two dozen settlers and soldiers dead. Governor Phillip begins to organize an expedition designed to put down the native resistance.

Other

Rhode Island ratifies the United States Constitution and becomes the last of the 13 original states to do so.

Peking opera is born when the Four Great Anhui Troupes introduce Anhui opera to Beijing in honor of the Qianlong Emperor's eightieth birthday.

The World in 1791

uuwj.png

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/2024/uuwj.png

NOTE: Avignon mistakenly shown as Papal. Durrani are now NPC.

Great Britain
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Population: 21.637 m.
Economy: £ 2,760 m.
Industry: £ 17 m.
Trade: £ 207 m.
Infrastructure: Good
Administration: Good
Income: £ 296 m.
Expenses: £ 238 m.
Treasury: £ -1,674 m.
Stability: Adequate
Army quality: Adequate
25,000 regulars
No irregulars
Navy quality: Excellent
97 ships of the line [+8 in 2 years]
123 frigates [+12 in 1 years]
Player: KeldoniaSkylar

Canada
Income: £ 2.35 m.
Colonial garrison: 1,500 soldiers

British Caribbean
Income: £ 4.07 m.
Colonial garrison: 250 soldiers

British Africa
Income: £ 1.73 m.
Colonial garrison: 75 soldiers

British East India Company
Income: £ 77.86 m.
Colonial garrison: 45,500 soldiers

Australia
Income: £ 0.10 m.
Colonial garrison: 50 soldiers

France
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Population: 28.366 m.
Economy: £ 2,876 m.
Industry: £ 7 m.
Trade: £ 187 m.
Administration: Poor
Income: £ 164 m.
Expenses: £ 207 m.
Treasury: £ -923 m.
Stability: Failing
Army quality: Poor
62,000 regulars
No irregulars
Navy quality: Adequate
43 ships of the line
42 frigates
Player: etranger01

French Caribbean
Income: £ 2.84 m.
Colonial garrison: 350 soldiers

French Africa
Income: £ 1.24 m.
Colonial garrison: 75 soldiers

French India
Income: £ 2.52 m.
Colonial garrison: 750 soldiers

Netherlands
Government: Administrative Republic
Population: 2.219 m.
Economy: £ 401 m.
Industry: £ 2 m.
Trade: £ 34 m.
Income: £ 41 m.
Expenses: £ 26 m.
Treasury: £ 7 m.
Stability: Poor
9,000 regulars
No irregulars
4 ships of the line
21 frigates [+7 in 2 turns]
Player: Matth34

Dutch Caribbean
Income: £ 1.06 m.
Colonial garrison: 100 soldiers

Dutch West Africa
Income: £ 1.26 m.

Dutch South Africa
Income: £ 0.47 m.
Colonial garrison: 150 soldiers

Dutch East India Company
Income: £ 16.38 m.
Colonial garrison: 5,000 soldiers

Liege
Government: Revolutionary Republic
Population: 0.760 m.
Economy: £ 92 m.
Industry: £ 0 m.
Trade: £ 4 m.
Infrastructure: Poor
Income: £ 3 m.
Expenses: £ 10 m.
Treasury: £ -63 m.
Stability: Failing
5,500 regulars
No irregulars
Navy quality: N/A
No ships of the line
No frigates
Player: Mathrim

Prussia
Government: Enlightened Despotism
Population: 5.989 m.
Economy: £ 589 m.
Industry: £ 1 m.
Trade: £ 26 m.
Infrastructure: Adequate
Income: £ 27 m.
Expenses: £ 27 m.
Treasury: £ -418 m.
Stability: Good
76,000 regulars
No irregulars
Navy quality: Poor
No ships of the line
2 frigates
Player: Spectre17

Cologne
Government: Theocracy
Population: 1.681 m.
Economy: £ 167 m.
Trade: £ 8 m.
Administration: Adequate
Income: £ 6 m.
Expenses: £ 4 m.
Treasury: £ -5 m.
Stability: Good
7,000 regulars
No irregulars
No ships of the line
No frigates
Player: XVG

Bavaria
Government: Feudal Monarchy
Population: 2.397 m.
Economy: £ 235 m.
Trade: £ 12 m.
Income: £ 13 m.
Expenses: £ 9 m.
Treasury: £ -45 m.
13,000 regulars
No irregulars
No ships of the line
No frigates
Player: Riccardo93

Austria
Population: 23.378 m.
Economy: £ 1,962 m.
Industry: £ 2 m.
Trade: £ 98 m.
Income: £ 110 m.
Expenses: £ 83 m.
Treasury: £ -734 m.
125,000 regulars
15,000 irregulars
No ships of the line
3 frigates
Player: Duke of Britain

Denmark
Government: Absolute Monarchy
Population: 2.326 m.
Economy: £ 227 m.
Trade: £ 15 m.
Income: £ 18 m.
Expenses: £ 28 m.
Treasury: £ -29 m.
15,000 regulars
No irregulars
13 ships of the line
9 frigates
Player: awesomesauce47

Danish Caribbean
Income: £ 0.16 m.
Colonial garrison: 150 soldiers

Danish Africa
Income: £ 0.39 m.

Danish India
Income: £ 0.65 m.
Colonial garrison: 250 soldiers

Sweden
Population: 3.982 m.
Economy: £ 309 m.
Trade: £ 20 m.
Income: £ 18 m.
Expenses: £ 21 m.
Treasury: £ -40 m.
32,000 regulars
No irregulars
6 ships of the line
13 frigates
Player: Haresus

Sardinia
Population: 3.027 m.
Economy: £ 322 m.
Trade: £ 18 m.
Income: £ 15 m.
Expenses: £ 19 m.
Treasury: £ -74 m.
14,000 regulars
No irregulars
No ships of the line
1 frigates
Player: alexander23

Sicily
Population: 4.925 m.
Economy: £ 528 m.
Trade: £ 29 m.
Income: £ 21 m.
Expenses: £ 23 m.
Treasury: £ -130 m.
15,000 regulars
No irregulars
5 ships of the line
4 frigates
Player: Tapscott

Tuscany
Population: 1.514 m.
Economy: £ 161 m.
Trade: £ 8 m.
Income: £ 9 m.
Expenses: £ 16 m.
Treasury: £ -49 m.
17,000 regulars
No irregulars
No ships of the line
3 frigates [+2 in 1 turns]
Player: parabranko

Genoa
Government: Merchant Republic
Population: 0.757 m.
Economy: £ 81 m.
Trade: £ 5 m.
Administration: Failing
Income: £ 1 m.
Expenses: £ 12 m.
Treasury: £ -21 m.
1,200 regulars
No irregulars
No ships of the line
2 frigates
Player: Ab Ovo

Venice
Government: Merchant Republic
Population: 3.261 m.
Economy: £ 319 m.
Trade: £ 22 m.
Income: £ 17 m.
Expenses: £ 20 m.
Treasury: £ -76 m.
7,000 regulars
No irregulars
9 ships of the line
5 frigates
Player: Spitfire

Spain
Population: 11.286 m.
Economy: £ 1,042 m.
Trade: £ 57 m.
Income: £ 80 m.
Expenses: £ 86 m.
Treasury: £ -171 m.
35,000 regulars
No irregulars
37 ships of the line
43 frigates
Player: MastahCheef117

Spanish North America
Income: £ 10.96 m.
Colonial garrison: 2,500 soldiers

Spanish Caribbean
Income: £ 3.12 m.
Colonial garrison: 1,000 soldiers

Spanish South America
Income: £ 9.02 m.
Colonial garrison: 1,500 soldiers

Philippines
Income: £ 1.18 m.
Colonial garrison: 500 soldiers

Portugal
Population: 2.924 m.
Economy: £ 251 m.
Trade: £ 16 m.
Income: £ 36 m.
Expenses: £ 30 m.
Treasury: £ -69 m.
14,000 regulars
No irregulars
Navy quality: Good
12 ships of the line
9 frigates
Player: nachopontmercy

Brazil
Income: £ 8.34 m.

Portuguese Africa
Income: £ 1.97 m.
Colonial garrison: 1,000 soldiers

Portuguese East Indies
Income: £ 14.05 m.

Poland
Government: Noble Republic
Population: 6.385 m.
Economy: £ 404 m.
Trade: £ 14 m.
Income: £ 12 m.
Expenses: £ 14 m.
Treasury: £ -84 m.
37,000 regulars
No irregulars
Navy quality: Failing
No ships of the line
1 frigates
Player: Battle bunny

Russia
Population: 34.538 m.
Economy: £ 2,179 m.
Industry: £ 3 m.
Trade: £ 98 m.
Income: £ 106 m.
Expenses: £ 116 m.
Treasury: £ -230 m.
155,000 regulars
43,000 irregulars
45 ships of the line
19 frigates
Player: 99KingHigh

Alaska
Income: £ 0.04 m.
Colonial garrison: 25 soldiers

Ottomans
Population: 23.246 m.
Economy: £ 1,333 m.
Trade: £ 73 m.
Income: £ 59 m.
Expenses: £ 72 m.
Treasury: £ -104 m.
164,000 regulars
13,000 irregulars
19 ships of the line
33 frigates
Player: Maxwell500

Morocco
Government: Despotic Monarchy
Population: 2.422 m.
Economy: £ 99 m.
Trade: £ 3 m.
Infrastructure: Failing
Income: £ 3 m.
Expenses: £ 3 m.
Treasury: £ 1 m.
Army quality: Failing
13,000 regulars
No irregulars
No ships of the line
3 frigates
Player: Afaslizo

Qajar
Government: Theocracy
Population: 3.079 m.
Economy: £ 172 m.
Trade: £ 6 m.
Income: £ 5 m.
Expenses: £ 7 m.
Treasury: £ -6 m.
13,000 regulars
5,000 irregulars
No ships of the line
1 frigates
Player: Noco19

Maratha
Government: Despotic Monarchy
Population: 57.517 m.
Economy: £ 2,937 m.
Trade: £ 73 m.
Income: £ 68 m.
Expenses: £ 57 m.
Treasury: £ -40 m.
Army quality: Failing
64,000 regulars
No irregulars
No ships of the line
1 frigates
Player: Thandros

United States
Government: Constitutional Republic
Population: 5.730 m.
Economy: £ 550 m.
Trade: £ 41 m.
Income: £ 30 m.
Expenses: £ 26 m.
Treasury: £ -123 m.
11,150 regulars
No irregulars
Navy quality: Good
No ships of the line
13 frigates
Player: Frymonmon

Last edited:
Wappen_Erzbistum_K%C3%B6ln.png

Erzstift und Kurfürstentum Köln

My dear citizens.

The recent agricultural renovation programs on our fine lands have been a large success. This is thanks to the enlightened clergy, and the administrators of the Archbishopric, who have worked hard to help the farmer in his everyday trouble. New farming techniques and equipment are much needed these days, as we must work harder so that those who have had to flee the Lowlands have shelter upon themselves, and food to feed their families. Yes, my brethren, we must remember our duty as devout Christians, to take care of our brothers in their times of need.

With the blessing of God, we move forward.

~ Archduke Maximilian Francis of Austria. Archbishop-Elector of Cologne, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights

OOC: Yes, it might seem strange, but he is indeed my historical ruler.

7z0m.jpg

Gothenburg, the star of the North!

Gothenburg, a small city with a great future. Founded by the famous Gustavus Adolphus himself, the city has always been inspired by the Dutch ideals of free trade and capitalism. Its strategic location on the west coast of Sweden grants it an optimal advantage to allow goods from all of western Europe to enter the Kingdom of Sweden via the shortest route possible. This has now been acknowledged by His Royal Majesty himself and as a direct result a major effort will take place to expand and improve the port of Gothenburg. New wharves, warehouses and offices will be constructed to handle the expected increase in commerce, and employ skilled professionals from Sweden and abroad. Timber will be transported from the vast forests nearby and then milled into precisely measured lumber by the highly competent local craftsmen. His Royal Majesty has showed great enthusiasm when introduced to these magnificent plans and He will personally oversee the construction from time to time, when His royal duties allow Him the time.

gz5f.png

Äfventyraren

As His Royal Majesty invests lavishly in culture, concert halls, composers and other musicians, there are some who have stated worries and complaints regarding this 'counterproductive' spending. This is wholly unnecessary. His Royal Majesty informs all those who are doubtful regarding these financial actions that music can never be 'counterproductive'. Music is the interpretation of the soul and absolutely vital for all advanced thought. It is with this knowledge that His Royal Majesty can safely assure his advisors, friends and other important men of the Kingdom that the recent investments in music have not been wasted at all. In the coming months, a new opera will be premiered in the newly constructed Royal Swedish Opera, in our sophisticated capital of Stockholm. Written by Johan Wikmanson, the new opera is called 'Äfventyraren' (The Adventurer) and expectations are high for this new piece of art.
His Royal Majesty will, of course, attend to the premier.

Last edited:
2kw0.png

Despite the spewing of slander on behalf of our critics, and dissenters within the nation, the Empire has achieved two victories. In regards to the Turkish front, the Treaty of Küçük Kaynarca stands, excluding certain phrases that have been modified. The first article was merely a re-affirmation of Turkish recognition, which because of the inclusive principles that modified the treaty, was removed from the doctrine. Beyond such a issue, Russia has warded off the offensive actions by our Royal Cousins, and while the friendly activity has now been amended, a victory has been achieved on that front.

But these are the issues of the past, and regardless of the policies of our opposition, we must look to the future. At the immediate outlook, that is to our eastern border, that has initiated a propaganda campaign against the Empire, and has also defied its protection by the Motherland. As such, Russia demands that the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth halt their military expansion, their propaganda campaign, and allow Russian delegates for a revision of the constitution. If these demands are not complied to, retribution will be enforced. We have the interests of the Polish people in our hearts, and we provide such issues so that their progress may not be curtailed by an aggressive government whose political outline is that parallel to the revolutionary French.

Russia shall remain strong, One and Indivisible.​

- Catherine II, Her Imperial Majesty the Empress and Autocrat of All the Russias, of Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod, Tsar of Kazan, Tsar of Astrakhan, Tsar of Poland, Tsar of Siberia, Tsar of Chersonesos Taurica, Tsar of Georgia, Lord of Pskov, and Grand Duke of Smolensk, Lithuania, Volhynia, Podolia, and Finland, Prince of Estland, Livland, Courland and Semigalia, Samogitia, Belostok, Karelia, Tver, Yugra, Perm, Vyatka, Bulgaria and other territories; Lord and Grand Duke of Nizhni Novgorod, Sovereign of Chernigov, Ryazan, Polotsk, Rostov, Yaroslavl, Beloozero, Udoria, Obdoria, Kondia, Vitebsk, Mstislavl, and all northern territories; Sovereign of Iveria, Kartalinia, and the Kabardinian lands and Armenian territories – hereditary Lord and Ruler of the Circassians and Mountain Princes and others; Lord of Turkestan, Heir of Norway, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, Stormarn, Dithmarschen, Oldenburg, and so forth, and so forth, and so forth.

j6pJya6.gif

Republic of Liège

Liege, proud of its independence and mighty by the freedom its citizens enjoy, is prepared to send delegates to the Imperial Diet. The new Emperor, that we hereby congratulate for his accession, giving him our condolences at the same time, is known to be a pragmatic man, and surely our solution will be deemed as worthy by the Diet.

Liegeois administration and government will be overhauled this year. The administration will be reformed along enlightened revolutionary lines, and a new Assembly will be convoked, according to the votes and wishes of every citizen over 25. We do take after our French brothers in these matters, however, while the Church has had too much power in France, and considering the wishes of the peasants who have been exploited by ecclesiastic proprietors, notably in the Condroz; Liege won't launch a radical seizure of Church property. We will, however, launch a land reform, to break up large estates and end modern serfdom; considering the people as a whole, proprietors and peasants.

An excerpt from the proposed French Constitution currently being reviewed by the National Constituent Assembly, the full document being forty pages in length:

DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF MAN AND THE CITIZEN.

The representatives of the French people, organized in National Assembly, considering that ignorance, forgetfulness or contempt of the rights of man are the sole causes of the public miseries and of the corruption of governments, have resolved to set forth in a solemn declaration the natural, inalienable, and sacred rights of man, in order that this declaration, being ever present to all the members of the social body, may unceasingly remind them of their rights and their duties in order that the acts of the legislative power and those of the executive power may be each moment compared with the aim of every political institution and thereby may be more respected; and in order that the demands of the citizens, grounded henceforth upon simple and incontestable principles, may always take the direction of maintaining the constitution and the welfare of all.

In consequence, the National Assembly recognizes and declares, in the presence and under the auspices of the Supreme Being, the following rights of man and citizen.

1. Men are born and remain free and equal in rights. Social distinctions can be based only upon public utility.

2. The aim of every political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man. These rights are liberty, property, security, and resistance to oppression.

3. The source of all sovereignty is essentially in the nation; no body, no individual can exercise authority that does not proceed from it in plain terms.

4. Liberty consists in the power to do anything that does not injure others; accordingly, the exercise of the natural rights of each man has for its only limits those that secure to the other members of society the enjoyment of these same rights. These limits can be determined only by law.

5. The law has the right to forbid only such actions as are injurious to society. Nothing can be forbidden that is not interdicted by the law and no one can be constrained to do that which it does not order.

6. Law is the expression of the general will. All citizens have the right to take part personally or by their representatives in its formation. It must be the same for all, whether it protects or punishes. All citizens being equal in its eyes, are equally eligible to all public dignities, places, and employments, according to their capacities, and without other distinction than that of their virtues and their talents.

7. No man can be accused, arrested, or detained except in the cases determined by the law and according to the forms that it has prescribed. Those who procure, expedite, execute, or cause to be executed arbitrary orders ought to be punished: but every citizen summoned or seized in virtue of the law ought to render instant obedience; he makes himself guilty by resistance.

8. The law ought to establish only penalties that are strictly and obviously necessary and no one can be punished except in virtue of a law established and promulgated prior to the offence and legally applied.

9. Every man being presumed innocent until he has been pronounced guilty, if it is thought indispensable to arrest him, all severity that may not be necessary to secure his person ought to be strictly suppressed by law.

10. No one ought to be disturbed on account of his opinions, even religious, provided their manifestation does not derange the public order established by law.

11. The free communication of ideas and opinions is one of the most precious of the rights of man; every citizen then can freely speak, write, and print, subject to responsibility for the abuse of this freedom in the cases determined by law.

12. The guarantee of the rights of man and citizen requires a public force; this force then is instituted for the advantage of all and not for the personal benefit of those to whom it is entrusted.

13. For the maintenance of the public force and for the expenses of administration a general tax is indispensable; it ought to be equally apportioned among all the citizens according to their means.

14. All the citizens have the right to ascertain, by themselves or by their representatives, the necessity of the public tax, to consent to it freely, to follow the employment of it, and to determine the quota, the assessment, the collection, and the duration of it.

15. Society has the right to call for an account from every public agent of its administration.

16. Any society in which the guarantee of the rights is not secured or the separation of powers not determined has no constitution at all.

17. Property being a sacred and inviolable right, no one can be deprived of it unless a legally established public necessity evidently demands it, under the condition of a just and prior indemnity.

FRENCH CONSTITUTION.

The National Assembly, wishing to establish the French Constitution upon the principles that it has just recognized and declared, abolishes irrevocably the institutions that have injured liberty and the equality of rights.

There is no longer nobility, nor peerage, nor hereditary distinctions, nor distinction of orders, nor feudal régime, nor patrimonial jurisdictions, nor any titles, denominations or prerogatives derived therefrom, nor any order of chivalry, nor any corporations or decorations which demanded proofs of nobility or that were grounded upon distinctions of birth, nor any superiority other than that of public officials in the exercise of their functions.

There is no longer either sale or inheritance of any public office.

There is no longer for any part of the nation nor for any individual any privilege or exception to the law that is common to all Frenchmen.

There are no longer jurandes, nor corporations of professions, arts, and crafts.

The law no longer recognizes religious vows nor any other obligation which may be contrary to natural rights or the constitution.

TITLE I. FUNDAMENTAL PROVISIONS GUARANTEED BY THE CONSTITUTION.

The constitution guarantees as natural and civil rights:

1. That all the citizens are eligible to offices and employments without any other distinction than that of virtue and talent;

2. That all the taxes shall be equally apportioned among all the citizens in proportion to their means.

3. That like offences shall be punished by like penalties, without any distinction of persons.

The constitution likewise guarantees as natural and civil rights:

Liberty to every man to move about, to remain, and to depart without liability to arrest or detention, except according to the forms determined by the constitution;

Liberty to every man to speak, to write, to print and publish his ideas without having his writings subjected to any censorship or inspection before their publication, and to follow the religious worship to which he is attached;

Liberty to the citizens to meet peaceably and without arms, in obedience to the police laws;

Liberty to address individually signed petitions to the constituted authorities.

The legislative power cannot make any law that attacks and impedes the exercise of the natural and civil rights contained in the present title and guaranteed by the constitution; but as liberty consists only in the power to do anything that made is not injurious to the rights of others or to the public security, the law can establish penalties against acts which, in attacking the public security or the rights of others, may be injurious to society.

The constitution guarantees the inviolability of property or a just and prior indemnity for that of which a legally established public necessity may demand the sacrifice.

Property intended for the expenses of worship and for all services of public utility belongs to the nation and is at all times at its disposal.

The constitution guarantees the alienations that have been or that shall be made under the forms established by law.

The citizens have the right to elect or choose the ministers of their religious sects.

There shall be created and organized a general establishment of public relief to bring up abandoned children, to relieve infirm paupers, and to provide work for the able-bodied poor who may not have been able to obtain it for themselves.

There shall be created and organized a system of public instruction, common to all citizens, gratuitous as regards the parts of education indispensable for all men, and whose establishments shall be gradually distributed in accordance with the division of the kingdom.

There shall be established national fêtes to preserve the memory of the French Revolution, to maintain fraternity among the citizens, and to attach them to the constitution, the fatherland, and the laws.

A code of civil laws common to all the kingdom shall be made.

TITLE II. OF THE DIVISION OF THE KINGDOM AND OF THE CONDITION OF THE CITIZENS.

1. The kingdom is one and indivisible; its territory is divided into eighty-three departments, each department into districts, each district into cantons.

2. French citizens are:

Those who are born in France of a French father;

Those who, born in France of a foreign father, have fixed their residence in the kingdom;

Those who, born in a foreign country of a French father, have become established in France and have taken the civic oath;

Lastly, those who, born in a foreign country and descended in any degree whatsoever from a French man or a French woman expatriated on account of religion, may come to live in France and take the civic oath.

3. Those residing in France, who were born outside of the kingdom from foreign parents, become French citizens after five years of continued domicile in the kingdom, if they have in addition acquired real estate or married a French woman, or formed an agricultural or commercial establishment, and have taken the civic oath.

4. The legislative power shall be able, for important considerations, to give to a foreigner a certificate of naturalization without other conditions than the fixing of his domicile in France and the taking of the civic oath.

5. The civic oath is: I swear to be faithful to the nation, the law, and the King, and to maintain with all my power the constitution of the kingdom decreed by the National Constituent Assembly in the years 1789, 1790, and 1791.

6. The title to French citizenship is lost:

1st. By naturalization in a foreign country;

2d. By condemnation to the penalties which involve civic degradation, as long as the condemned is not rehabilitated;

3d. By a judgment of contempt of court, as long as the judgment is not annulled;

4th. By affiliation with any foreign order of knighthood, or with any foreign organization which may imply proofs of nobility or distinctions of birth, or which may demand religious vows.

7. The law considers marriage as only a civil contract.

The legislative power shall establish for all inhabitants, without distinction, the manner in which births, marriages, and deaths shall be recorded and it shall designate the public officers who shall receive and preserve the records thereof.

8. The French citizens, considered in their local relations arising from their union into cities and into certain districts of rural territory, form communes.

The legislative power shall fix the extent of the district of each commune.

9. The citizens who composed each commune have the right to elect at stated times and according to the forms fixed by law those among themselves, who, under the title of municipal officers, are charged to carry on the particular affairs of the commune.

Some functions related to the interests of the State can be delegated to the municipal officers.

10. The regulations which the municipal officers shall be required to follow in the exercise of their municipal functions, as well as those which have been delegated to them for the general interest, shall be fixed by the laws.

TITLE III. OF THE PUBLIC POWERS.

1. Sovereignty is one, indivisible, inalienable, and imprescriptible: it belongs to the nation: no section of the people nor any individual can attribute to himself the exercise thereof.

2. The nation, from which alone emanates all the powers, can exercise them only by delegation.

The French constitution is representative; the representatives are the Legislative Body and the King.

3. The legislative power is delegated to one National Assembly, composed of temporary representatives freely elected by the people, in order to be exercised by it with the sanction of the King in the manner which shall be determined hereinafter.

4. The government is monarchical: the executive power is delegated to the King, in order to be exercised under his authority by ministers and other responsible agents, in the manner which shall be determined hereinafter.

5. The judicial power is delegated to judges elected at stated times by the people.

Chapter I. Of the National Legislative Assembly.

1. The National Assembly, forming the Legislative Body, is permanent and is composed of only one chamber.

2. It shall be formed every two years by new elections.

Each period of two years shall constitute a legislature.

3. The provisions of the preceding article shall not operate with respect to the next Legislative Body, whose powers shall cease the last day of April, 1793.

4. The renewal of the Legislative Body takes place with perfect right.

5. The Legislative Body shall not be dissolved by the King.

Section I. Number of the representatives.–Basis of representation.

1. The number of representatives in the Legislative Body is seven hundred and forty-five, by reason of the eighty-three departments of which the realm is composed, and independently of those who may be granted to the colonies.

2. The representatives shall be distributed among the eighty-three departments according to the three proportions of territory, population, and direct tax.

3. Of the seven hundred and forty-five representatives, two hundred and forty-seven are accredited for territory.

Each department shall select three of these, with the exception of the department of Paris which shall select but one.

4. Two hundred and forty-nine are accredited for population.

The total mass of the population of the kingdom is divided into two hundred and forty-nine parts, and each department selects as many deputies as it has parts of population.

5. Two hundred and forty-nine representatives are accredited for the direct tax.

The sum total of the direct tax of the kingdom is likewise divided into two hundred and forty-nine parts, and each department selects as many deputies as it pays parts of the tax.

Section II. Primary assemblies.–Selection of the electors.

1. In order to form the National Legislative Assembly the active citizens shall meet every two years in primary assemblies in the cities and cantons.

The primary assemblies shall constitute themselves with perfect right on the second Sunday of March, if they have not been convoked earlier by the public functionaries determined by the law.

2. In order to be an active citizen it is necessary to be born or to become a Frenchman; to be fully twenty-five years of age; to be domiciled in the city or in the canton for the time fixed by the law;

To pay in some place of the kingdom a direct tax at the least equal to the value of three days of labor, and to present the receipt therefor;

Not to be in a state of domestic service, that is to say, not to be a servant for wages;

To be registered upon the roll of the national guards in the municipality of his domicile;

To have taken the civic oath.

3. Every six years the Legislative Body shall fix the minimum and the maximum of the value of a day's labor, and the department administrators shall make the local determination thereof for each department.

4. No one shall be able to exercise the rights of an active citizen in more than one place or to cause himself to be represented by another.

5. The following are excluded from the exercise of the rights of active citizenship:

Those who are under indictment;

Those who, after having been declared to be in a state of bankruptcy or insolvency, proven by authentic documents, do not procure a general discharge from their creditors.

6. The primary assemblies shall select electors in proportion to the number of active citizens domiciled in the city or canton.

There shall be one elector selected by virtue of one hundred active citizens, whether present at the assembly or not.

There shall be two selected for one hundred and fifty-one up to two hundred, and so on.

7. No one can be chosen an elector if he does not unite with the conditions necessary to be an active citizen, the following:

In the cities over six thousand souls, that of being proprietor or usufructuary of an estate valued upon the tax rolls at a at a revenue equal to the local value of two hundred days of labor, or of being the occupant of a habitation valued upon the same rolls at a revenue equal to the value of a hundred and fifty days of labor;

In cities under six thousand souls that of being proprietor or usufructuary of an estate valued upon the tax rolls at a revenue equal to the local value of a hundred and fifty days of labor, or of being the occupant of a habitation valued upon the same rolls at a revenue equal to the value of a hundred days of labor.

And in the country, that of being the proprietor or usufructuary of an estate valued upon the tax rolls at a revenue equal to the local value of one hundred and fifty days of labor, or that of being the farmer or metayer of estates valued upon the same rolls at the value of four hundred days of labor.

With respect to those who shall at the same time be proprietors or usufructuaries for one part and occupants, farmers or metayers for another, their means by these different titles shall be cumulated up to the amount necessary to establish their eligibility…

images

It pains me to hear that Russia considers us a threat, and I do not understand why they are talking about "Polish-Lithuanian expansionism" when the Commonwealth has not even presented claims to neighbouring territory - indeed, we have already made certain that we are not looking to exert revenge on our neighbours. It is true that we have expanded our army recently, and that a wave of anti-foreign sentiment has swept through the country, but I can assure the Russian Tzarina that such sentiment is beyond our control, and it was propagated merely by overzealous army officers. I do not mean to hold you at fault for it, of course, but we have extended a hand of friendship to you in the last few years not just once, and you have so far failed to respond to us. Now you make demands of us instead of offering to enter in negotiations, like a benevolent protector should. Is it any wonder that the people of Poland-Lithuania are inclined to see you more as an enemy than a friend? So let us treat each other as friends and negotiate in good spirit.

His Majesty Stanislaw August Poniatowski

(OOC: I almost found you on IRC yesterday, but you were AFK, apparently...)