Dare to go berserk and create a pagan event – the winners will have their events put into the game.
The heathens are coming, prepare for the wrath of Odin! Here is your very own chance to invade the game yourself and create your own event for Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods.
Go forth to loot and pillage history in search of creative ideas for events and ravage the internet for ideas that garner gold, prestige or the means to conquer. Above all, destroy and sacrifice to the Old Gods.
We will pick three winners and add their events into Crusader Kings II. No prior scripting knowledge is needed, we're only looking for a basic design and the event text. Just send over your ideas and we'll take care of the rest.
1. It has to be a simple, one-shot event. No follow-ups, no event series.
2. It can be historical, humorous, serious, or any combination of those - as long as it fits the period.
3. We prefer character events, but you can also create a narrative event if you want to include more text.
4. The event will be restricted to pagans (and Zoroastrians). It's up to you whether it should be generic enough to be available to all of them, or if it should be limited to Norse Pagans, Zoroastrians, Tengri or another specific group.
5. Unless you have an event picture in mind, we'll pick an appropriate artwork for the event.
6. The event needs both a trigger and an effect. The trigger can be as simple as being an adult and having a certain religion, or something more restrictive. The effect shouldn't be too severe or impact the game too much, as this will be more of a flavor event.
7. The event can have multiple options with different effects, or just one. (Having additional options that only show up if the character has a certain trait can be a nice touch, but it isn't required.)
8. Take care not to write too much, as the text needs to fit inside the event window. If it's too long, we'll shorten it as needed if your event is picked as one of the winners.
How to participate?
Submit your event in this thread!
If the developers like more events than the three winners selected,
there is a chance that additional contestant entries will be included in the game.
Here are a few basic event trigger suggestions:
An event that is triggered upon looting a holding. Can have additional triggers, like a certain trait.
An event that is triggered if the character has taken part in a victorious battle.
An event that is triggered if the character has taken part in a losing battle.
Here is an example of what an event submission could look like:
A holding has been looted by a raiding army belonging to the character.
As they loot and pillage the holding, your men recover a beautiful golden candelabrum.
Fighting breaks out among them as they argue over who should get to keep this prize.
Option A: Give it here. I shall keep it.
Option B: Melt it down and divide the gold evenly among the men.
Keep in mind:
- Dare to be brassy, bold and brave in your narrative; the heathens are roaming the lands.
- Wicked writing with finesse, flair and flamboyant flavor is highly encouraged.
- Dare to go berserk, read the rune stones, call curses upon thy enemies and try to interpret the omens. And remember, some heathens just want to watch the world burn...
Three lucky winners will receive Crusader Kings II Bundle, with all previously released DLCs to either keep or gift to a friend, as well as the war game March of the Eagles AND each winner gets their event added to the game!
The daring developers will pick out their personal favorites by May 31st and the events will be added as soon as possible after the winners have been selected.
May the best pagan win. And, of course, don’t forget to subscribe to this thread to enjoy the event stories from your fellow heathens!
Paradox Development Studio & Paradox Interactive
P.S. May your enemies beards grow inwards.
****** UPDATE 31/5 -2013 ********
So we are all extremely happy that so many went berserk and posted events for our contest!
But by Odin's flaming eye! To be perfectly honest, we were also a tiny bit unprepared for this huge and wonderful invasion of heathens.
I know we promised to announce the winners today, and I deeply apologize for the fact that we won´t be able to do that.
With 28 pages of bearded events, we hope that you can understand that we really need more time to read all your events carefully, before we announce the winners…
Therefore the winners will be announced on the 17th of June.
While waiting, please enjoy looting and pillaging your way through Europe as a pagan ruler in The Old Gods!
I apologize for the delay.
Please do not sacrifice me at the great Blot because of this.
May the old gods watch over you!