• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rifal

Banned
40 Badges
Nov 30, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
The Pole Star. A Sweden Magna Mundi Divine Wind Edition AAR

The Polestar

A Sweden Magna Mundi Divine Wind Edition AAR

catofarmsbetter.png

"Svensken han har kommit,
och tagit alltihop.
Han har fönsterna inslagit,
och blyet av dem tagit.
Han har kulor av dem gjutit,
och bönderna beskjutit."

-Poem about the Swedish army during the 30 years war

Well, here we are again. After various problems both tecnical and
personal killed of my previous AAR I will once again endevour to start
another one.

This AAR will run along pretty much the same lines as my previous one.
Kinda history bookish writing and possibly some narrative if it feels apropriate too the story.

I will be using the Magna Mundi mod for Divine Wind

My goal for this AAR will be to simply form Sweden into a mighty empire
in Northern Europe, gain the majority if not all of the Baltic coastline and
by the end hopefully form a united Scandinavian Empire under the Swedish banner.

Table of Contents

The Kalmar Union
kalmarunion.png

Eric of Pomerania (1397-1418)

Chapter I: The Kalmar Union
Chapter II: A Union at War

The House of Vasa

houseofvasa.png

Gustav I Adolf Vasa (1418/19-1435)

Chapter III: The short reign of Gustav I Adolf

Karl VIII Vasa (1435-1450)

Chapter IV: The Nordic 8 Years War Part I
Chapter V: The Nordic 8 Years War Part II

Chapter VI: The Nordic 8 Years War Part III
Chapter VII: The Nordic 8 Years War part IV

The Lord Regents (1450-1459)

Chapter VIII: The Kalmar War

Erik XIII Vasa (1459-1489)

Chapter IX: Erik XIII
Chapter X: The Lithuanian War Part I
Chapter XI: The Lithuanian Wat Part II

Christoph I Vasa (1489-1506)

Chapter XII: The Reign of Christoph I and Protestantism in Sweden I
Chapter XIIII: The Reign of Christoph I and Protestantism in Sweden II
Chapter XIV: The Nordic War of Religion (1504-1507) Part I

Chapter XV: The Nordic War of Religion (1504-1507) Part II

Isabella I Vasa (1506-?)

Chapter XVI: The Queen of Poland

Last edited:
Chapter I

The Kalmar Union

The Kalmar union was a series of personal unions that for a period joined the Kingdoms of Sweden (Including Finland), Norway and Denmark under a single crown.
The union was the work of queen Margaret I of Denmark. At the age of ten, she married King Haakon VI of Norway and Sweden, who was the son of King Magnus IV of Sweden and Norway. Margaret succeeded in having her son Olav recognized as heir to the throne of Denmark. In 1376 Olav inherited the crown of Denmark from his maternal grandfather as King Oluf III, with his mother as guardian. When Haakon VI died in 1380, Olav also inherited the crown of Norway. The two kingdoms were united in a personal union under a child king, with the king's mother as his guardian. Olav also had designs on the throne of Sweden (in opposition to Albert of Mecklenburg) from 1385 until 1387.

Olav died in 1387, before he came of age and could take over the government. Margaret made the Danish Council of the Realm elect her as regent of Denmark, but she did not attempt to assume the title of queen. On 2 February the next year (1388), she was also recognized as regent of Norway. She adopted her sister's grandson Bogislav, a son of Prince Vartislav of Pomerania, and gave him the more Nordic name Erik. She manoeuvred to have the Norwegian Council recognize him as heir to the throne of Norway,in spite of him not being first in the line of succession, and he was installed as king of Norway in 1389, still with Margaret as his guardian.

In Sweden, this was a time of conflict between King Albert of Mecklenburg and leaders of the nobility. Albrecht's enemies in 1388 elected Margaret as regent in the parts of Sweden that they controlled, and promised to assist her in conquering the rest of the country. Their common enemy was the Hanseatic League and the growing German influence over the Scandinavian economy.

After Danish and Swedish troops in 1389 defeated Albert of Mecklenburg, and he subsequently failed to pay the required tribute of 60,000 silver marks within three years after his release,Margarets position in Sweden was secured. The three Nordic kingdoms were united under a common regent. Margaret promised to protect the political influence and privileges of the nobility under the union. Her grandnephew Erik, already king of Norway since 1389, succeeded to the thrones of Denmark and Sweden in 1396.

The Nordic union was in a way formalized on 17 June 1397 by the Treaty of Kalmar, signed in the Swedish castle of Kalmar, on Sweden's south-east coast, close to the Danish border. The treaty stipulated an eternal union of the three realms under one king, who was to be chosen among the sons of the deceased king. They were to be governed separately, together with the respective councils, and according to their ancient laws, but foreign policy was to be conducted by the king.

A Erik grew old enough to rule the union by himself he soon proved himself to be quite capable, although nowhere near as skilled as Margaret had been. He did however manage to form close ties between himself and the Norwegian and Swedish Riksråd.

sweaar1.png

(The core of the Swedish Riksråd)
The Swedish Riksråd was led by Olaf Lindschöld, a middling nobleman and talanted administrator, the ideal man to guide Sweden in this decentralized for of union. Linschöld would spend his years working tirelessly to improve the Swedish economy, greatly improving the production and trade in Fur in Finland and northern Sweden.

Within just a few years Swedish fur traders are found all over the Baltic Sea and even as far away as Lisbon. The increased flow of Swedish fur soon got the attention of the Hansa Trade Leaugewhose entrepid merhcants are always looking for new venues of riches. In 1400 a group of Hansa representatives sets up a kontor in Österbotten in an attempt to further increse the revenues from Swedish Fur.

sweaar2.png

To protect these new trade routes in 1407 the Riksråd in unison with king Eric approves funding for the construction of a Swedish war fleet under the condition that in times of war the fleet is to be available for the king too use in defense of the Union and to expand its borders. The fleet was to be constructed in the major Swedish docks at Älvsborg, Kalmar and Stockholm and were to be crewed by sailors from the Swedish and Finnish archepilagos and commanded by officers from the nobility loyal to Eric. The fleet was estimated to take around 8 years to finish and would number 12 ships built along the same schematics as the Iberian Carracks used by nearly all of the major powers in western Europe.

This would add much needed punch to the Danish navy that was made up of mostly galleys and other smaller vessels more suited to the narrow seas around Denmark.

crrackengelgabriel.jpg

(The Flagship of the Swedish navy, the Carrack Engel Gabriel)
With the Union Running smoothly Eric starts the look at ways of expanding his realm. The Islands of Ösel, and Dagö, currently under the control of the Livonian order who in turn is a vassal of the Teutonic Order in Prussia and the Island of Gotland looks like a good point to start and will rob the Orders of their naval outposts in the Baltic and serve as a jump off point for further Danish advances into Estonia and Livonia Eric spends almost all of 1412 in meetings with the Swedish and Norwegian Riksråd planning the war.

The plan finally agreed upon calls upon Denmarks continental allies, the counts of Pomerania too launch an attack on the Teutonic order from the west while a combined Swedish-Danish fleet shall land union forces in Ermland.From there Eric hopes to threaten both Köningsberg and Danzig, thus forcing the Order to give battle. The bonds of the Kalmar union was about to face trail by fire.

kalmarunion.png

Sweden c 1413
Erik VII Gryf (ADM:4 MIL:6 DIP:5)
By the Grace of God: King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway

Treasury: 15,1 Million Daler (151 Ducats)
GDP: 65.2 Million Daler (652 Ducats)

Standing Army: 12000 Footsoldiers, 4000 Cavalry
Navy: 12 Carracks, 6 Cogs
Reserves: 10000
Discipline: 123.50%
Tradition: Army 12.20 Navy 1.90

Prestige: 8
Legitimacy: 100

Last edited:
Let's keep the MM AAR tradition strong! I look forward to seeing where this goes

Let's keep the MM AAR tradition strong! I look forward to seeing where this goes

Keeping it strong indeed. As far as mods go it's imo by far the best.

Well of course I shall be keenly following this! Great first chapter, can't wait for more ... and if you make the slightest mistake I'm going to hammer you :p

I'll send you a pm later today I have some really good images for war with the Teutons and of course you're welcome to them if you'd like.

More is comming soon, ive been a bit held up with real life at the moment by by the middle of next week it should all be resolved.

Chapter II

A Union at War

With his control of the combined fleets of Denmark, Norway and Sweden king Eric held almost supreme control over the Baltic sea, only on other state had a chance of contensting Eric. The Order of Brothers of the German House of Saint Mary in Jerusalem, more commonly known as The Teutonic Order situated on the southeast coast of the Baltic sea possess a large fleet of military galleys and with their naval bases on Gotland and Ösel they pose a very real threat to Denmark and even the Scandinavian mainland.

As agrred upon the Swedish Riksråd dispatches the Swedish war fleet with a contingent of 6000 soldiers towards Ermland where the invasion is to take place, it falls to smaller Danish and Norwegian forces to secure Gotland.

In September a combined Danish-Swedish fleet manages to intercept the Teutonic flet just off the southern tip of Gotland. Whit a significant numerical advantage and the Swedish Carracks being far to much for the Teutonic galleys to overcome due to the height of the Carracks hull making them nearly impossible to board the teutonic fleet soon retreats to port leaving the forces of the Kalmar union in charge of the Baltic sea.

sweaar3.png

(So far so good)
The initial naval succes allows Swedish and Danish forces to land in Ermalnd and in order to force the Teutons to give battle they begins pillaging the countryside. The current Hochmeister of the Teutonic Order, Henrich V responds swiftly and leads his army of roughly 11000 men from Königsberg towards Ermland.

While the Danish-Swedish army in Ermland was originally led by king Eric he had traveled back to Copenhagen to celebrate the birthday of his son and heir, Hans. Thereforee when the scouts report that a Teutonic army is on its way confusion erupts as to whom is to take command.

In the end command goes to Magnus Engelbrekt, a highranking Swedish nobleman with little to no actual experience of warfare. As the Teutonic army draws closer the Danish-Swedish army breaks its siegelines around Kreuzburg and marches out to meet the Teutons in the fields north of the town. Magnus arrays his forces in a defensive position at the southern end of a large field flanked by thick forest on his right and boggy marshlands on his left in an attempt to stop the superior Teutonic cavalry from flanking his army. Magnus places his infantry in the centre with the Danes to the right and Swedes to the left to form a wall of spears and shields and lines up his cavalry behind his infantry ready to plug any potential gap.

Henrich however is not deterred by this as his knights, the dreaded "Ritterbruder" are widely considered the best heavy cavalry in the world. Henrich personally leads his 600 knights in a textbook medieval charge across the field and right into the Danish front. Despite the wall of spears opposing them the "Ritterbruders" press on and achives a breakthrough. The Swedish cavalry is sent in the plug the gap and are successfull in driving of the knights after feirce fighting and heavy casualties.

Magnus soon realises that the Teutons have a much greater advantage in cavalry and the single charge by Henrich has caused massive casualties for the cost of just 50 knights and has heavily demoralized his army. Henrich now orders a full frontal assault againt the Danish-Swedish lines in hopes of completley crushing his foe. The Tetuonic infantry comes storming across the field and clashes with the Danish-Swedish lines in a horrible torrent of steel and flesh. Following over 3 hours of fighting the Danish-Swedish line starts to crumble and it is only with sheer force of will that the army manages an organized withdrawal back towards the sea.

sweaar4.png

(The Knights throws the Union back into the Sea)
With Magnus fighting some valiant rearguard actions with the remnants of his cavalry the Danish-Swedish army reaches the coast and boards the fleet waiting to transport them back to friendly territory. In the Swedish Riksråd the disaster in Ermland was blamed on the absense of King Eric and the incoompetence of the Danish officers. One faction in the Riksråd led by Gustav Adolf of House Vasa even demands that Eric Abdicates the throne of Sweden in favour of a Swedish nobleman of fitting standing (No doubt meaning to himself). Within weeks after the defeat at Kreuzburg Gustav's faction gains considerable influence in Sweden and using this influence he arranges the complete withdrawal of the Swedish navy from the Baltic Sea reserving it for the defense of the Swedish coastline alone.

With the invasion repulsed the Teutons turns their armies to Denmarks Pomeranian allies who alone stands little chance against the formidable knights and one by one the Pomeranian nobles switches sides, pledging loyalty to the "Hochmeister" and soon 2/3rds of Pomerania is under indirect rule of the Teutonic Knights.
In the Spring of 1418 The Teutonic navy has reagained control of the Baltic sea and through several brutal raids along the Danish Coastline they soon coax a peace treaty out of Eric who gives up his overlordship of Slesvig and Holstein and recongnises them as independent states allied with the Teutonic Knights.

sweaar5.png

After the peace was signed Eric fell inte fits of madness acusing both the Norwegian and Swedish Riksråd of treason (in the case of Sweden this was more or less true) and demanding the execuation of all who did not immiediatly travel to Copenhagen and kneeled before him. When this demand is refused by all parties Eric flies into a fit of rage and storms up the staircase to his private quarters in Copenhagen castle, however at the top of the staircase his feets tangles in his elaborate robe causing him to fall back down the stairs landing at the bottom with a broken spine and neck. Death came instantly.

The massive discontent with the house of Gryf in both Sweden and Norway manifests upon the death of Eric in the election of independent kings in both realms while in Denmark Erics younger brother Hans is crowned king of Denmark. In Sweden the king elected is Gustav Adolf of house Vasa who in the December of 1419 is Crowned King of Sweden and Grand Prince of Finland.

sweaar6.png

Thus after only 21 years the Kalmar Union was broken up, while Denmark still retained alliances with both Sweden and Norway she no longer held any influence over either nation.

houseofvasa.png

Sweden c 1420
Gustav I Adolf Vasa (ADM:8 MIL:8 DIP:4)
By the Grace of God: King of Sweden and Grand Prince of Finland

Treasury: 18,9 Million Daler (189 Ducats)
GDP: 64.2 Million Daler (642 Ducats)

Standing Army: 12000 Footsoldiers, 6000 Cavalry
Reserves: 20000
Tradition: Army 11.20 Navy 1.90

Prestige: 44
Legitimacy: 20

Last edited:
Just a quick notice

Unfortunatley real life has stepped in the way of this AAR's progress once again. However I do have a lot of free time comming up next week so hopefully I should get some writing done then.

In game nothing much is happening at the moment so you are not missing out on much.

Cheers

That was a quick break with the Union
Mine lasted for decades...
Good luck with turning the Baltic into a Swedish lake

Agreed, to bee honest I jas quite surprised when Eric died and the union broke. Denmarks Prestige must have plummeted more than I excpected. Oh well, good for me I guess.

Agreed, to bee honest I jas quite surprised when Eric died and the union broke. Denmarks Prestige must have plummeted more than I excpected. Oh well, good for me I guess.

In my game Denmark inherited Sweden and Norway is still in union with Norway. Been my ally for over 120 years too!

what are your short/medium/longer term goals?

In my game Denmark inherited Sweden and Norway is still in union with Norway. Been my ally for over 120 years too!

what are your short/medium/longer term goals?

Consolidate/Build up/Dominium maris Baltici and perhaps try to get in to the colonial game.

Chapter III

The Short Reign of Gustav Adolf

Gustav Adolf of house Vasa was born in Rydboholm Castle in Uppland not far north of Stockholm on the 6th of April 1385. House Vasa had been vocal opponents of the Kalmar Union ever science its foundation. Much of Gustavs early life was spent under the toutelage of various lerned men as at this point in history Sweden had very little in the way of an established educational system. In many cases Fathers tought their sons and mothers their daughters. Another common practice was for the clergy to educated the people, especially among the higher echelons of society.

Gustav however had found the preist choosen to educate him to be dull and uninteresting choosing instead to pursue"more manly subjects" such as warfare, hunting, fencing and archery. When elected king following the death of Eric of Pomerania parts of the council of the realm voices concerns regarding Gustavs onesided education claiming that electing a man schooled in the arts of war will be seen as a provocation of Denmark and pull Sweden into war. However with the aid of competent advisors Gustav soon shows himself as a competent monarch and any critical voices soon fade away.

gustaviadolfvasa2.jpg

(Gustav I Adolf, First King of House Vasa)
Eager to secure his familys position on the Swedish Throne Gustav marries Elizabeth,the second daughter of the king of Norway in July 1419 hoping that such a marrige will secure Swedens western flank and form a closer bond between Sweden and Norway in the event of Danish retalliation. This union Results in a child born on the 24th of May 1420. The child is Baptised in Riddarholmen Church and is given the name Karl. Being Gustav's first child Karl becomes the heir of House Vasa and Gustav aproaches the council of the realm to oversee the succession laws of the Swedish throne.

After much arguing the council of the realm institutes so called absolute primogeniture meaning that the eldest child regardless of gender shall inherit the throne of Sweden as opposed to the eldest male child as was the case in England and only male inheritance as defined by salic law in much of continental Europe. In the event of no child of any gender being available the Council of the realm shall vote for the new king just as they did with Gustav.

sweaar7.png

With the succession secured Gustav now turns to his nation. Being of a military mind Gustav along with his foremost military advisor, Bengt Skytte. A veteran from the Danish wars against Slesvig-Holstein and against the baltic crusader states reforms the Swedish military from a mottley peasant rabble into a semi proffesional force of well trained and well equipped men at arms provided with their equipment and training by the well off nobility in return for a lightened tax or in cases of major contributions, complete tax exemption and high ranking positions in the army in case of war.

While Sweden never had serfdom in the same way as the kingdoms of continental europe it still had its ruling class of nobility controling various parts of the countryside. But they did not own the peasants as serfs, the peasants were free and each village was obligated to provide men while the ruling class provided weapons, armor and training. This gives Sweden one of the first Semi proffessional standing armies. 12000 footsoldiers and 6000 cavalrymen of which 2000 are heavily armed and armored in the manner of typical medieval knight, clad from head to toe in plate armor and riding some of the finest horses available. While Denmark, Norway and the Russian principalities might have larger armies they were nowhere as well trained and equipped.

sweaar10.png

A free Sweden with a strong standing army would be Gustavs Legacy as in 1435 he dies after a breif battle with pneumonia leaving the throne to his 15 Year old son Karl. In order to avoid any kind of instability the young Prince Karl is rushed from his study to a very hasty coronation in Riddarholmen church.

sweaar11.png

gustaviiyoung.png

(Karl VIII, Age 17)
Now if Gustav was a capable monarch Karl was what one would call a "Perfect" monarch. When he was crowned at age 15 he was fluent in Swedish, Finnish, German, French and Latin. He was also making good progress towards learning English and Greek. Karl also had a knack for diplomacy seeming to always be able to make the opposite party see things his way. In military matters Karl followed in his fathers footsteps, spending large amounts of both time and money making sure the army was at peak condition seeing any miscondict by soldier or officer alike as a threat to the soveregnity of his kingdom.Karls significant competence would soon become his greatest ally in what would be known as "The Nordic 8 Years War

houseofvasa.png

Sweden c 1435
Karl VIII Vasa (ADM:8 MIL:8 DIP:8)
By the Grace of God: King of Sweden and Grand Prince of Finland

Treasury: 38,1 Million Daler (381 Ducats)
GDP: 65.2 Million Daler (652 Ducats)

Standing Army: 12000 Footsoldiers, 4000 Cavalry
Reserves: 12000
Tradition: Army 11.20 Navy 1.90

Prestige: 18
Legitimacy: 11

A great entry, and you've been rewarded with a great king!