• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

G_Morgan

Colonel
10 Badges
Mar 20, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Hi Guys,

I've just started playing this and my first unwitting act as Prussia was to hand Jylland to Lubeck. As hilarious as the idea of Lubeck entering a war meeting between Britain and Prussia and demanding half of Denmark is, I want to avoid handing city states giant tracts of land in future. When I invade France it is not my intention to give it to Krakow.

Are there any tutorials on managing wars? I didn't (and still don't) understand how the war aim system works. Also is it possible to annex spherelings or do I have to kick them out before manufacturing CB and invading? Germany is of ugly borders and must into clean lines before invasion of France.

Thanks in advance.

You actually did a smart move. When you form the North German Federation or Germany, you will automatically absorb the relevant german minors INCLUDING all their extra territory. This means that in this case Lubeck paid the infamy for taking Jylland, and you will gain it for free upon forming the NGF. In general however when you negotiate a peace treaty you will see all the demands of your alliance, you can uncheck the once you don't want and they are disregarded during that proposal.

One thing to remember is however that when you call allies into the a war and they are militarily stronger than you, they will assume the role of war leader and whatever peace they negotiate you will have to deal with it (it can happen that they set their own war goals and completely ignore your goals). Make sure that you always remain war leader.

That is strange because I remained war leader despite Britain being involved. I looked at deselecting Jylland but it would cost me prestige if I don't achieve that goal.

I had a CB for Jylland myself. Could I have added it on top of Danish Schleswig-Holstein?

I had a CB for Jylland myself. Could I have added it on top of Danish Schleswig-Holstein?

Yes you could, and it is pretty normal, even for the AI, to do exactly that.

I just tried this during war with the Netherlands. It would have required an infamy boost to take Friesland on top of Gelderland. I think I'm happy stealing little bits of obviously German land for now. Of course Russia were streaming through Ostpreussen and overran my mobilised troops so I couldn't have afforded Friesland anyway. I managed to turn my main armies around and inflict enough expensive defeats to make Russia accept that Gelderland is blatantly German.

Does Britain ever actually land troops? I feel a bit annoyed so far that my ally sort of moves around with ships but never actually puts any bayonets on the ground. It'd be helpful having some British troops sort of do something about a giant Russian swarm.

I just tried this during war with the Netherlands. It would have required an infamy boost to take Friesland on top of Gelderland. I think I'm happy stealing little bits of obviously German land for now. Of course Russia were streaming through Ostpreussen and overran my mobilised troops so I couldn't have afforded Friesland anyway. I managed to turn my main armies around and inflict enough expensive defeats to make Russia accept that Gelderland is blatantly German.

Does Britain ever actually land troops? I feel a bit annoyed so far that my ally sort of moves around with ships but never actually puts any bayonets on the ground. It'd be helpful having some British troops sort of do something about a giant Russian swarm.

Yeah, UK doesn't really do much in AHD...however, it seems that naval invasion AI is improved in HOD, so you should see more BEFs there.

TBH I'm seriously tempted to have a go at Napoleoning Russia. If they are going to do that every time I enforce anschluss we are not going to be very happy.

Oh well at least I overtook Austria.

TBH I'm seriously tempted to have a go at Napoleoning Russia. If they are going to do that every time I enforce anschluss we are not going to be very happy.

Oh well at least I overtook Austria.

Invading Russia is an annoying and drawn out war. The nice thing is that you can get a bunch of provinces dirt cheap. If you are willing to take the infamy hit (which can be pretty dangerous) you can get entire states for like 7-10 war score a piece.