• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's probably for the best :)

Incidentally, have you seen this?

No as a matter of fact I haven't noticed that :) Great stuff thanks for letting me know, and glad it didn't happen while I was away. Definitely have to thank Revan for the nomination for that.

And again thanks for letting me know...now I'm going to have to peruse AARs so I can pick someone to carry the torch next week...since everyone I probably would have picked has been nominated already going to be a hard choice for the next one.

Still here Tnick! been busy with real life stuff I'm afraid, so havn't had time to read AARs properly :)

Sad to see the regent go out like that, I liked him, but the show must go on I guess :)

Also, again grats with the nomination :)

Still here Tnick! been busy with real life stuff I'm afraid, so havn't had time to read AARs properly :)

Sad to see the regent go out like that, I liked him, but the show must go on I guess :)

Also, again grats with the nomination :)

I to have been pretty busy A_Dane sadly haven't had much time at all to devote to writing nor reading AARs :( Everytime I think things are about to free up for me something else happens lol. Oh well...definitely makes choosing the next nominee for this here award a bit of a challenge lol.

Chapter XXX - The Prince

Chapter XXX - The Prince​

I remember sitting the day of Gotthard's death in prison, the way my instructor the Lady Reginlind von Habsburg informed me of what happened that night. How he had been caught by my Steward the Count of Passau stealing from me. It was really the first lesson as a ruler that I learned. That no one could be trusted fully. Everyone had their price, and desires and ambitions.

I remember the dark glow of the prison cell. The cell Gotthard had stayed in briefly during King Albrecht's coupe, the cell Gotthard would return to and waste away in his coma within. She took me down to that dark hell to show to me the punishment a King should give to those that betray his trust. She told me that day that no matter the cost I must be strong and never forget those who desire more than I give, for they will be the first to betray, and their treason will sting the most.

I was only 12 years old when that all happened, but in all rights I was already thinking the way a ruler should think or so claimed Reginlind. She always acted rather impressed when I spoke of events that were occurring within our country during the war for my rightful Crown.

Soon I will wear the crown of Bavaria, and punish all the enemies of mine who had once stood in my way. I will punish the von Tyrols, I will punish the Kaisers, I will destroy everyone and anyone who had betrayed the Welfs in my infancy. For on this day as I write for the first time in the Book of Welfs I sit in my camp alongside my wife Princess Terezia Arpad, awaiting the arrival of King Albrecht I von Tyrol, to discuss terms of peace.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Shortly after I sent Regent Gotthard Rapotonen into a coma and to his death in prison and taking upon the mantle of the Regency of our dearest lord Prince Welf, I name Gotthard's son Martin Rapotonen to be Spymaster of the Realm. I know it is an odd appointment being the son of a traitor and all. But he is the most qualified for the position and as always its good to keep my family in the offices of power. Not to mention the fact that I will be better suited to control and guide the new Rapotonen Spyamaster as Regent.

Meanwhile, news from the battlefields reaches Munchen informing me of another knight of one of King Albrecht's allies having been captured this one is named Ancelmes de Forez. A man of Burgundian stock.

2012-12-17_00088_zps01dd4370.jpg

Little else happens for another year, as is the case in these long drawn out siege wars. Really only thing of note that ever happens are letters from Jorda detailing the different diseases and such that are striking the troops as they encircle yet another fort held by the false King. All in all my time as Regent is numbered and truth be told uneventful.

Truly the only interesting news during this time is that the Tyrant Kaiser Rudolf I "Premyslid Bane" has died.

2012-12-17_00089_zps3f976c8d.jpg

After years of his stealing lands from the rightful nobility of the realm and hording it all in the families name it is about time the old Kaiser died. I hope he rots in hell. As a matter of fact instead of mourning in the streets of Munchen as is usually the case when one of our liege lords pass beyond the realm of the living there were celebrations. The gentry were drinking in the beer halls, the whores were seeing twice the number of customers and peasants from every corner of the realm who had not taken up the armor to fight for the prince's birthright began flocking to the capital, as word began to travel that the Princess Terezia Arpad was on her way to Munchen to marry Prince Welf.

The dark days here in Bavaria seemed to be coming to an end rather rapidly. The Prince was now almost 15 years old and was slowly easing into his role as ruler, ever so slowly pushing me out of day to day affairs at the urging of his tutor and guardian Lady Reginlind.

I didn't mind so much it gave me time to steal a few gold here and a few gold there. The County of Passau of course needed this gold their were fortifications and improvements that needed to be done to my Castle and sadly I had no funds due to the war, I'm sure Welf would understand my stealing for the betterment of the Realm.

Who would become Kaiser after the death of Tyrant Rudolf? His son of course, Burchard I von Rheinfelden.

2012-12-17_00090_zpsd3f202ab.jpg

As the politics of the Holy Roman Empire turned, the other branch of the von Rheinfelden family was none to pleased with Burchard's elevation as Kaiser. So, they declared war challenging the legitimacy of his election.

2012-12-17_00091_zps562a7bf5.jpg

Five months after Duke Siegfried von Rheinfelden declared his war for the Imperial Crown, Princess Terezia arrived in court and the elderly Lady and former Queen Borbala Arpad called the Court of Munchen into session. I was oblivious to this, and when I entered the grand hall, I saw the Prince now 16 years old sitting where his sires had sat when they called themselves Kings. On his left sat the Lady Borbala, and to his right the Princess Terezia, and behind her stood Augustin Welf's wife Reginlind Habsburg. I knew at that moment the days of me ruling Bavaria had officially come to an end.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2012-12-17_00096_zps46865d31.jpg

I remember the day my grandmother called the court into session, she had visited my chambers on my 16th birthday alongside my betrothed Terezia smiling a grand smile. I am surprised after all these years Borbala was still alive, playing the strings of power like a musician. She was patient, more patient than any man could ever be. In a way I think she deserves credit for everything that happens during my reign for better or worse, for if it had not been for her orchestrating and maneuvering the great wheels of Bavarian power, I probably would not be sitting here writing this day.

She saw Gotthard protected, she made sure he protected me. It was her and her alone who waited patiently knowing that one day her grandson would rise to the greatness that her husband should have had, had he not forsaken her bed for that of the local whores. It was the greatness my own father should have had if he had taken a moment to study her ways and patient demeanor. Through all the tutoring and advice Lady Reginlind had given me, there was one lesson I will not forget. That was the lesson that Borbala herself had taught me. To sit and wait, for if you wait you will find a weakness in your enemies and then you can strike.

It is a lesson I will always remember, for Borbala's long tenure upon this Earth is proof positive that her words of wisdom should never go unheeded.

Before we went down to the grand hall to take my place before the Court of Munchen Borbala Arpad said to me, "My dear grandson, you are a Prince, and rightful King. So today, I am giving you the crown your grandfather bore, and your great grandfather before him. The Crown of the Welfs, you may not have beaten Albrecht yet but the day is coming when you will. So it is only right that today, you wear it."

She then placed it upon my head as Terezia curtsied smiling coyly at me. As we left the room making our way to the hall, officially ending the Regency of Count Stefan Rapotonen of Passau.

2012-12-17_00093_zpsbfa95f0b.jpg

A week later Princess Terezia and I would be wed finally, once more I wore the Crown not caring what kind of scandal calling myself King would have throughout all of Germany. For it was my birthright to call myself King of Bavaria and Albrecht usurper and false.

2012-12-17_00097_zps01cb4bfe.jpg

After the wedding, a distant relative of mine Dietrich Orsini petitioned me to become Steward of Bavaria, of which I granted after having discovered that Count Stefan had stolen money from the treasury he had been entrusted with.

2012-12-17_00098council_zps80a9c651.jpg
2012-12-17_00098dietrichorsinisteward_zpsab78af61.jpg

After the wedding and the appointment of the Orsini to the Stewardship of Bavaria, my wife and I set out for the occupied County of Tyrol to request the defeated King Albrecht to lay down his arms and accept my ascension to my rightful place upon the Throne of Bavaria.

I feel the Royal throne is near...

Great to see you back with another update - really enjoyable, as ever.

I feel the Royal throne is near...

Great to see you back with another update - really enjoyable, as ever.

It is indeed after more than a decade of war. But this Welf is off to a promising start I think, just sucks that Terezia is like 9 years older.

Very good stuff so far, I look forward to more!

that's a long war you're involved in :O

Yeah King Albrecht just hasn't wanted to let go of his crown yet. So I actually had to siege every single piece of land of his. The Duchy of Tyrol, Carinthia, Milan, and that damned county of Bourgogne or however its spelled lol that was a long march for us Bavarians :(

The conclusion of the war will be the next update. And since its obvious at least fairly obvious how it will conclude I'm going to post a picture of the Welf Family tree in a moment, it was taken about a year or two after the War. Bu think its about time to show everyone how the family is fairing.

I do love a good family tree - thanks for uploading that. It seems that firstborn Welfs have a slight habit of being female.

I await the conclusion if the war eagerly (even if we do all know how it concludes :).)

I do love a good family tree - thanks for uploading that. It seems that firstborn Welfs have a slight habit of being female.

I await the conclusion if the war eagerly (even if we do all know how it concludes :).)

You know I didn't notice that trend until you just now mentioned it. Definitely an odd trend for sure. In a way I'm hoping my darn Welfs can start making more sons!!! Only Welfs that seem to have a lot are Augustin Welf's nephews and they're so far removed from the important set of Welf's that no one in Europe wants to marry them. So definitely need to hope for more prolific years in the marital bed with Terezia and Welf VII, but since she's way older I doubt those hopes will turn out well for me.

And the conclusion of the war, I'm slowly trying to work on it. Just not feeling the muse at the moment, was hoping to get it done today but I'm guessing it isn't going to happen so maybe late tonight I'll be feeling it and be able to go to town on it. Since I see the next update being more dialogue and storytelling then game events I have to be in the correct mindset to write it.

So here's to hoping I can get it done by tomorrow sometime :)

Actually, now that you mention it Densley, whenever I play in the HRE i tend to get a lot of female offspring, mostly firstborns :O

Tnick, Interesting family tree, nice to get an overview of who's related to your house :)

(also, good luck on your reading as well :p)

Actually, now that you mention it Densley, whenever I play in the HRE i tend to get a lot of female offspring, mostly firstborns :O

Tnick, Interesting family tree, nice to get an overview of who's related to your house :)

(also, good luck on your reading as well :p)

At least the females are good for alliances within the Empire, that's really all I use them for.

And I originally was going to post a dynasty tree every succession but since I went through that period of craziness with my rulers, I didn't see the point since the family didn't expand much during that time frame. Hope my brief lines and notes on the picture explain well enough who people are though :)

Another thing I find interesting and should have pointed out is that Gotthard's son Ruprecht (I think that was his name) is the new Bishop of Salzburg taking over his father's Bishopric. And it appears he is grooming his youngest son for the same position. Guess Gotthard's branch of the family are destined to be insane clerics.

And Gotthard's daughter, the daughter that could have and probably should have been King Welf I's daughter, married a commoner in Salzburg, so her sons will be the last ones on that line which is quite fitting.

Also hoping Prince Welf's Cousin, the Diogenes born in the Purple Prince of the ERE, survives the Greek Court long enough to assume the Purple :) Be quite awesome seeing a grandson of the Whoremonger sitting upon an Imperial Throne :p

Oh and if I continue using Elective to reflect Agnatic Primo the line of succession/nominations to the Bavarian crown would look like this:

Duke Lothar Welf of Saxony​
Lothar's son​
3&4.
Bishop Ruprecht's two sons​
7-12.
Brother of Augustin Welf and his sons and grandsons​
Augustin Welf​
14 and on.
The Orsini Branch of the Family.​

Last edited:
Chapter XXXI - The Crown of Bavaria

Chapter XXXI - The Crown of Bavaria​

The morning of October 14, 1143 began, a crisp Bavarian fall day with the sun shining upon our encampment. I awoke with the sun that morning beside my wife Terezia, who had thought it necessary to join me in the field for the day that the Welf's would finally recapture their throne. I felt a hunger that day, not a physical hunger, but a hunger of the soul. As a babe I had been denied my birthright, and after thousands of unnamed people died trying to regain my birthright I could not help but feel sorrow for their fortune, and at the same desire to claim everything that my forebears lay claim to. My late mother Kera could have been a Queen in Croatia and therefore I am beginning to think that I deserve that crown and title as well. It is my birthright after all.

This was a day of change, a change in the political shape of the Holy Roman Empire. A change in the fortunes of my line. A change for the world as a whole. It was the day my name would be heard around Europe, the child whose crown was stolen, the child who won his righteous cause, the Prince whose wrath towards those that tried to subdue knew no bounds. I am sure the Capets in France are paying close attention to my story. They lost their crown several times. And have yet to win it back for more than a few years. If I was a Capet I'd send their French youth to Bavaria to study the teenage Prince of Bavaria, for lessons on how to win what is rightfully yours.

As I stand outside my tent, I see Augustin Welf dressed in his finest clothes for the day's meetings. He walked up to me smiling the most approving smile I had ever seen on that old man's face.

"Your majesty," He said bowing gracefully, "The preparations for the pavilion have been completed. It is ready for you, along with all of our councilors gathering to prepare you for your audience with King Albrecht."

"King Albrecht," I spat, "More like just Albrecht von Tyrol, traitor."

Augustin looked at me carefully, "My lord, if you would so graciously prepare yourself, we all desire your presence as soon as can be."

I nod and turn around reentering my tent where Terezia was slowly getting dressed in her fine silks she had brought from Hungary wishing to look as much a Queen on this day as she should. I follow suit, and once properly dressed we make our way towards the pavilion which was centered towards the front of our encampment.

Inside was a long table with my travelling throne at the head with the Welf family banner as its backdrop and flanking it on either side the flag of Bavaria. Next to my throne was a slightly smaller chair but well designed for comfort for my royal Hungarian wife to sit upon.

My councilors all stood as I entered bowing as Terezia and I made our way to our designated positions. Once we sat all the other men of the Council sat as well except Chancellor Augustin Welf.

"We meet here today in preparation for the end of our war with the false King Albrecht, and to bring into question how best to rebuild our nation and welcome the poor peoples who were caught up in this struggle due to no fault of their own save for whom their liege's whim so desired to serve," Augustin spoke. "We must not revisit the horrors of war upon these innocents, but rather welcome them back with open arms, and punish the nobles who wronged our prince before he could even walk."

The lords nodded, and all eyes turned towards me. "Augustin is right, we will be merciful to the lowly, they need to return to the fields and rebuild what was lost to them in the war. They received their punishment in the blood of their children who died on both sides, and the burnt crops and slaughtered cattle. This war has devastated our lands gentleman. It will take us years to rebuild. But let it be known, no one will ever steal from a Welf ever again."

Augustin nodded and sat back down. Jorda spoke up then, "As for today my lord, my soldiers will be out in full force today flanking the approach into our camp. As well as several detachments at the ready should the false king try anything heroic."

"That is a good idea Jorda," Martin Rapotonen the Spymaster mused, "There are rumors that Duke Ugo of Lombardy will be accompanying Albrecht. But word also is being whispered that they think you should come to them, your majesty."

I looked at the Spymaster, not really trusting him, he is a Rapotonen and they have been known for having designs on my treasury as his father the Regent Gotthard had years ago. "If they wait Jorda will fetch them and bring them to us stripped of everything but their flesh, Martin," I growl. "This is my day, and Albrecht first and foremost will be here in this pavilion bowing begging for his life!"

They councilor's fell silent for a while, and conversation began to pick up ever so slowly. The wait was dreadful. In fact lunch would be served ate and cleared and still no sign of Albrecht. Hours would pass and outside the pavilion dinner was being cooked over large fires for us and the troops. As dusk slowly began to set itself upon us, a scout rushed into the pavilion, "King Albrecht is on his way!" the young man announced.

2012-12-17_00100_zps82603f2c.jpg

This sent off a flurry of whispers and even more conversation about the table. Jorda rose now dressed in full battle armor hand upon the hilt of his sword and stood at the entrance of the pavilion.

Slowly King Albrecht and Duke Ugo both old men walked down the center of the path absent guards, or any retinue. Ugo walked in front of the false King though wearing clothes that should have only been worn by a simple monk living in a monastery. Jorda stepped aside as Ugo entered the pavilion and immediately fell to his knees prostrating himself before me and the rest of the Council.

"My King, Welf, my brethren. We share the same blood of the ancient Atii, my father whose crimes were punished on the battlefield is to blame for his union with Albrecht, I was already defeated when he died and wished not to fight but to sit on the sidelines. I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me and welcome me back into your gracious fold," Ugo cried.

I stood looking past the table looking into the worried and sad face of Duke Ugo II, grandson of the famous Kaiser-Slayer. Wonder what the Kaiser-Slayer would think seeing his grandson so impoverished and defeated? I must admit I felt sorrow for him, and he was right we shared the same ancestors through Duke Alberto Azzo d'Este.

"Rise, Ugo," I command, and he rose, "I forgive you and accept your fealty on terms that you shall never ever raise a hand against me or future descendants of this house. If you do you and your descendants will be destroyed, and completely removed from the realm of the living. I will not and cannot allow relatives of my flesh and blood supporting those who have no relations with them. Your father Cassio was a fool, he paid with eternal damnation for such a stupid mistake. I hope you teach your children more carefully and inform them of my graciousness and my threat."

Ugo bowed, "Yes your majesty, I will, we d'Estes will be faithful to all Welfs present and future for eternity. I realize the punishment that will befall us if we are not, and I will ensure all future generations in Lombardy know of this and support their cousins the Welfs with true and faithful hearts."

I nod as does Augustin, in which Augustin says, "Then Duke Ugo, with the blessing of your rightful King, Prince Welf VII, we hereby grant you safe passing and reinstatement as Duke of Lombardy. All of your holdings and palace in Milan are hereby turned back over to your ownership. May you live long and prosperous, and forever sing of the graciousness of your lord!"

With that Duke Ugo bowed once more, taking the sealed parchment that was passed down the table guaranteeing all that Augustin had promised, signed by none other than me.

With that piece of business concluded, King Albrecht entered the pavilion, dressed rather well, silks and crown and rings. Right behind him stood Jorda sword drawn and ready to fall upon the thinning neck of the aging usurper. Albrecht did not bow, nor did he grovel and beg forgiveness. He knew his fate. I'm sure he saw it coming the day he locked Gotthard in the dungeons to establish his coupe.

But the proud man also held a parchment with a seal I didn't immediately recognize. He threw it upon the table and it was passed all the way up to Augustin who carefully opened it.

Once unfolded he looked at me, "Should I read this, its from the new Kaiser Burchard I."

I wave my hand, "Yes, please read it, Augustin."

He cleared his throat and began, "As liege-lord over the Kingdom of Bavaria, and Kaiser, it is my duty and right to dictate terms of peace unto the parties that have burned and raped and pillaged the heart of Lombardy and Bavaria for far too long. It is obvious that my grandfather Berthold the Great was not very wise in allowing Albrecht von Tyrol being elected King of Bavaria. It has cost the Empire far too much, in fact where my grandfather was wrong my Father Rudolf was even more wrong for allowing you two children to fight and fight and destroy everything.

"Seeing how hellbent on total annihilation you both are, I see only true solution to this problem. I will allow Prince Welf VII, to sit upon his throne and call himself King Welf IV of Bavaria, that is what the boy wants after all. In fact, I will allow him to keep Lombardy and grant him the Diocese of Carinthia as his vassal as well. But in the matter of Kempten and the Duchy of Tyrol, that is another matter entirely. Since you both hate each other, I see no reason for Albrecht to remain Welf's sworn vassal in the future, and the same with the von Andechs of Kempten. So from this day forth Albrecht von Tyrol will return to being the Duke of Tyrol, swearing allegiance only to me. And the Count of Kempten shall be independent owing vassalage only to me as well.

"In closing, seeing how Albrecht enjoys stealing elections, I hereby order him arrested, to be imprisoned in Munchen under the watchful eye of his arch-enemy the newly proclaimed King Welf IV. His children shall inherit the duchy and will hopefully learn that from their father's ill-advised mistakes. Signed Kaiser Burchard I von Rheinfelden."

2012-12-17_00099_zps421d17c3.jpg

I sit back in my chair, smiling. Not the best outcome, I did lose Tyrol through all of this, but finally earned the land that my great grandfather King Welf I desired more than anything, that of Carinthia. So it was a double victory in some ways, regaining the crown with the Kaiser's half-hearted blessing, and the ancestral lands of the Welfs along with. Glorious day this has been.

Albrecht didn't so much as mutter as Jorda yelled for soldiers to bring irons and began to bind the fake king. I sat and watched the old man as they chained him up as if he was a violent dog. He was so quiet and stoic about the whole thing it was almost chilling and took most of the pleasure away from me.

Then, as he was escorted away flanked by my trusted men Terezia leaned over smiling and as she looked into my eyes with a sort of passion that I did not know the woman contained said, "All hail the King of Bavaria Welf the Fourth!"

2012-12-17_00100KingofBavaria_zpsbc5c55cf.jpg

Such an evolution considering the beginning ! All you ancsestros will be proud ! maybe you should risk on taking the Ultimate crown.....

The king is the spitting image of his father - hopefully his reign won't be as, well, short.

And those were rather arbitrary peaces terms - did you actually lose Tyrol through the war?

Such an evolution considering the beginning ! All you ancsestros will be proud ! maybe you should risk on taking the Ultimate crown.....

The crown of the HRE...hmm...

This Welf does seem to have an ax to grind with everyone that has stood in his way, so it may very well be a possibility.

DensleyBlair said:
The king is the spitting image of his father - hopefully his reign won't be as, well, short.

And those were rather arbitrary peaces terms - did you actually lose Tyrol through the war?

He is actually, didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Only difference is this King has that bushy half beard thing going on. Think beards are the fashion of this generation in game, seems a lot of the Germans are sporting them lately. And I don't think we will be seeing him ate by a wolf anytime soon, I'm pretty hesitant to send any rulers out hunting after all the insanity that occurred with the last hunt.

And the peace terms yeah, I really did lose Tyrol and the de jure county of Kempten which is part of the duchy of Bavaria. No idea why, game mechanics I suppose. So I figured I should have explained better, by blaming it all on the Kaiser in the AAR. Plus, it sets the stage for what King Welf IV starts doing later on in his reign ;) the von Rheinfeldens will be punished for this. The other weird thing is I did gain Carinthia and some weird counties like Chur, so my realm is all sorts of goofy as far as territory goes now.