• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vanadio

Duke of Abrantes
47 Badges
Jan 22, 2010
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
Hi, so I westernized with Johore. Everything was going well until i tried to develop industry.
I tried fabric, cement, furniture, glass... Nothing worked, just debt. I dont know why this happens. Capitalists by some reason dont have money too... I dont know what im doing wrong, but everytime I try to industrialize with some country i have this type of problems...

Try to build army you can supply yourself.
If you have lumber, build lumbermills and get furniture factories. If you got cotton build cotton factories and cloth factories, etc.

Uh...yeah... Johore has extremely low population. Why would you even try to industrialise with like 100 craftsmen? And when you have 4 gold producing provinces...

This game is designed so that pretty much only countries in Europe and the Americas are playable. Johore's just meant to be a piece of land for exploitation by a greater power.

Actually, there's an easy way to succeed. After the UK spheres you, attack china for guangdong. You have Yue as accepted and the brits will do all the fighting for you. Alternatively, you could get a good-ish navy and blockade/siege taiwan. They'll probably let you have it. It also goes without saying that you should annex all the other indonesian uncivs before they civilise/get annexed, as well as thailand, which has a a lot of accepted pops that you can also turn into a state, if you can that is. That's what I did last time I tried johore. But after I got guangdong I quit because by then I was in the 1880s and I couldn't be bothered.

johore is playable and fun
johore's culture is malay and the region has lots of malay population, including colonizible territories

for industry, until fuel refinery becomes available, you should stick to subsidies i am afraid

johore is playable and fun
johore's culture is malay and the region has lots of malay population, including colonizible territories

for industry, until fuel refinery becomes available, you should stick to subsidies i am afraid

Why would he even industralise? He's got a population of 200k or something like that. He will *NOT* be able to industriase with a population this low. Furthermore, the pops he turns into craftsmen are pops that could be producing gold. When he gets a good population base (getting java somehow would make that happen), good tech and reasonable LIT, he can try to industralise. Personally, I would also get guangdong (might need the UK to help you there) and as many other yue states from china as possible (after you get guangdong, you can do that on your own), because even though they'll drop your LIT, they'll give you some really good population (just guangdong has like 4 mil pops IIRC). If you have to choose between LIT and pops, go for pops. Once you get some nice pops, you can kick the netherlands out and form indonesia as well. And you'll be a really big country with a not-that-good LIT that has some very good potential.

You can get 15 mil pops in your states easily (and more in your colonies). At that point, you'll be like an ottoman empire with a lot more accepted pops and a much, much higher population.The only problem is that you won't have a lot of game time left.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why Johore accepts a culture which appears only in China?

The Johorian provinces themelves have Yue POPs, so should some of the ones in Thailand, Indonesia, etc. IIRC, having the Yue represents centuries of settlement by Chinese merchants.

Doesn't Johore ALSO start with 0% civ progress? And its 2 million people give you 5 NFs right off the bat, so you don't need Guangdong.

The NFs are the least of their problems. 4m pops isn't just NFs... it's also 4m pops. IE enough soldiers to defend against any GP and conquer more of China for some colonies, more RGOs, more craftsmen, more everything. Also, Johore starts with good-ish civ progress (at least in PDM anyway) and have gold provinces, so they've got no trouble balancing their budget. With Yue as accepted you can surpass the europeans.. eventually. If only you had more time to do that, but civing takes long.

The NFs are the least of their problems. 4m pops isn't just NFs... it's also 4m pops. IE enough soldiers to defend against any GP and conquer more of China for some colonies, more RGOs, more craftsmen, more everything. Also, Johore starts with good-ish civ progress (at least in PDM anyway) and have gold provinces, so they've got no trouble balancing their budget. With Yue as accepted you can surpass the europeans.. eventually. If only you had more time to do that, but civing takes long.

True, but you don't need them to be an accepted culture to raise soldiers from them, right?