I thought rebels in EU3 are annoying, rebels in CK2 are even more annoying, but...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ywhtptgtfo

General
78 Badges
Dec 30, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
... rebels in Vic 2 are insane.

I loaded up one of my saves in my first game to see why CSA disappeared (UK helped it gain independence) and this is why:

7452595162_7815301c14_z.jpg

7452592604_6d08fe18f5_z.jpg

Fully 1/2 of CSA wanted to rejoin USA and 1/4 of the people in CSA rose up as soldiers. That's about the mobilization size of France. I think I will probably just use console to take them out if I ever play as CSA.

I maintain that rebels have been broken ever since the original game came out. I'm actually shocked you are seeing so many Pan-nationalists and not A-Ls. I personally think that the CSA and USA should not be subject to the cultural union tag rules in general, much like the UK and USA not being subject to the same rules. For a democratic people to peacefully want to re-form a union that it so vociferously left so quickly is ridiculous. This business of suddenly so many CSA citizens wanting to re-form the union? The ACW is supposed to be modelling a large rise in CON such that the voting populace thinks that the USA is massively against their interests. For this to so radically shift? I mean, come on... Historically, if the CSA were to actually win, do you think they would have realistically reconciled their differences?? Had the UK intervened... or any other power there would have been a huge geopolitical incentive to maintain the status quo and prevent the USA from re-forming. I think cultural union tags need to be severely scaled back or be subject to more stringent requirements.

Nationalists should be scaled back within the unions too because in general the only reason why cultural unions were not unified is due to the monarch's selfish interests in maintaining his own fief. Why do you think the Frankfurt Parliament was such a watershed moment? Finally the German people were able to change the conservative order and request a unified nation state. This age is characterized by peoples wanting to unite in the face of conservative and reactionary forces, sometimes foreign, sometimes domestic. Likewise, in the odd event that reactionaries (nationalist) are able to set themselves free it should be EXTREMELY difficult to pull them back in. Cultural union should in general be viewed as "permanent" and undoing it as treason against the will of the people and require extreme measures to undertake. Similarly, if circumstances, albeit extreme, allowed Saxony to leave the NGF/Germany, then nothing sort of war should be able to put them back in the united state. What factors would cause them to leave? Either a massive feeling of discontent among the voters or foreign intervention. Either way, either of those two elements should be very difficult to reverse.

Some nations shouldn't be in a cultural union though just because they were personal unions of different cultural groups and had recently had legislation to solidify the nation state. I'm looking at you, UK... Scotland shouldn't be in cultural union with England. Scottish nationalism has been around for some time and even today we're witnessing a looming referendum on the maintenance of the UK. The Scots and English were also not culturally as similar as the wider Germans or Italians. The Anglo-Saxons and then the Normans thereafter of England had been viewed by Celtic peoples as invaders for many centuries. If by some way, Scotland was to be freed, I find it highly unlikely they'd so quickly run back into the arms of the English.

It seems there needs to be a higher threshold for all this nationalism nonsense. Right now, it seems like a giant mess to me. I've always wanted to tinker with the movements and rebels, but from what I've seen many of these elements are not exposed for modding.

Some nations shouldn't be in a cultural union though just because they were personal unions of different cultural groups and had recently had legislation to solidify the nation state. I'm looking at you, UK... Scotland shouldn't be in cultural union with England. Scottish nationalism has been around for some time and even today we're witnessing a looming referendum on the maintenance of the UK. The Scots and English were also not culturally as similar as the wider Germans or Italians. The Anglo-Saxons and then the Normans thereafter of England had been viewed by Celtic peoples as invaders for many centuries. If by some way, Scotland was to be freed, I find it highly unlikely they'd so quickly run back into the arms of the English.

There are so many things wrong with this that it astonishes and saddens me, it does not however surprise me.

There are so many things wrong with this that it astonishes and saddens me, it does not however surprise me.

I don't have strong feelings either way about Scottish nationhood being a 4th generation American, but in any conceivable scenario I can come up with where Scotland becomes independent I can only see a military solution to re-unification.

The CSA will always get wrecked by reform desire for slavery abolition.

Which is strange since it's the founding principle of that nation. I almost think that there should be more varieties of national ideas. For example, USA would have Capitalistic Liberty where they either get reduced costs for RRs or something. European capital historically poured into America to help build the rail system. CSA should have something like Apartheid Liberty where the get a severe malus on slavery abolition desire. South Africa should have something similar.

I think national ideas could have a lot more flavor and even possibly change. For instance, Germany's is Order, but don't you think a Crown from the Gutter unification should change it to Equality?

I think national ideas could have a lot more flavor and even possibly change. For instance, Germany's is Order, but don't you think a Crown from the Gutter unification should change it to Equality?
With PDM they can be changed, so it's not a far leap to make them change with some other event.
Nice flavor indeed to make them changeable.

heliostellar said:
I don't have strong feelings either way about Scottish nationhood being a 4th generation American, but in any conceivable scenario I can come up with where Scotland becomes independent I can only see a military solution to re-unification.
I cannot speak for Niall, but i am too saddened, though not astonished, by your opinion (?).
For Germany and Italia these people fought among each other among 'tribal' lines much longer than the Scottish/British.
You could say the last try to break away, seriously break away, from Germany for a State of it was in the Weimar time, or maybe even post-WWII. Same goes for Italy. Sicily is the most glaring example but generally you can find a strong opinion in North Italy that anything south of Rome is basically Africa.
I wont even go into the 'Bavaria hates the rest of Germany', the similarities between Austrians(!) and Germans, and all the other facts that cripple your argument.
While you might have a point in realtion to the Scottish (put see, i do not know, so i will not judge whether you do or not) you do not have a clue about either Germany or Italy and that cripples your argument.
The CSA will always get wrecked by reform desire for slavery abolition.
Makes sense.
Economically slavery will become less and desirable since 'free' slaves allow you to only hire and pay what you need with them drastically better motivated, while slaves you always have to feed (even the most zealous slavery supporter would look with disgust on a slaveowner leaving his slaves to starve... it is an agririan thing of pride in cattle) and they will use any and all excuse NOT to work, which forces you to hire overseer (who you have to pay) but who can only see so much and do so much to motivate your slaves.
In the end free slaves motivating and overseeing themselves while you do not even have to care for their housing or food except for the low, low pay you gonna give them and which they have little way of claiming legally (it is funny that the term 'white slavery' was never brought into conjunction with the industrial revolution).

Just as I thought the CSA rebels in my OP are crazy, they are dwarfed by Germany's rebels during its big war with France...

7489940276_0f75324ec5_c.jpg

And this is what I see when I loaded as Germany:

7489917634_012aeb8a41_z.jpg

So that's about 1500 regiments and 1500 x 3000 = 4.5 million people up in revolt with another 4.5 million or so ready to rise up. Now, Germany has 700 active regiments and only a population of about 12 million.

I'd just go into my saves and edit out the rebels if I am Germany (and then turn rebels off in the game files).

This is AHD btw, but I fully expect this to happen in vanilla.

I cannot speak for Niall, but i am too saddened, though not astonished, by your opinion (?).
For Germany and Italia these people fought among each other among 'tribal' lines much longer than the Scottish/British.
You could say the last try to break away, seriously break away, from Germany for a State of it was in the Weimar time, or maybe even post-WWII. Same goes for Italy. Sicily is the most glaring example but generally you can find a strong opinion in North Italy that anything south of Rome is basically Africa.
I wont even go into the 'Bavaria hates the rest of Germany', the similarities between Austrians(!) and Germans, and all the other facts that cripple your argument.
While you might have a point in realtion to the Scottish (put see, i do not know, so i will not judge whether you do or not) you do not have a clue about either Germany or Italy and that cripples your argument.

I'm not sure what's so saddening about this. The Scots and English didn't have a shared cultural heritage or language. Of course there are divisions within cultural groups, hence North/South German and North/South Italian. Have you ever heard of a modern British language? No, because it doesn't exist. There used to be one, but it was never spoken by the Anglo Saxons or the Normans. Scotland has no more reason to be in a union tag with England than Ireland does. I'm not really stating an opinion about English people, I am part English! I am simply making a factual statement that the nature of the union of the UK is qualitatively different than Germany or Italy. Could you imagine Irish, Scottish, and English peoples (if they hadn't historically been governed by the same monarch) forming a Frankfurt-like Parliament to demand union? No, because there would be no reason to do that. Prior to the union of England and Scotland there was significant animosity between the two peoples. There union is a hold over of dynastic ties, not cultural ones.

I'm not sure what's so saddening about this. The Scots and English didn't have a shared cultural heritage or language. Of course there are divisions within cultural groups, hence North/South German and North/South Italian. Have you ever heard of a modern British language? No, because it doesn't exist. There used to be one, but it was never spoken by the Anglo Saxons or the Normans. Scotland has no more reason to be in a union tag with England than Ireland does. I'm not really stating an opinion about English people, I am part English! I am simply making a factual statement that the nature of the union of the UK is qualitatively different than Germany or Italy. Could you imagine Irish, Scottish, and English peoples (if they hadn't historically been governed by the same monarch) forming a Frankfurt-like Parliament to demand union? No, because there would be no reason to do that. Prior to the union of England and Scotland there was significant animosity between the two peoples. There union is a hold over of dynastic ties, not cultural ones.
It was also kind of forced onto the Scots too, but unfortunately for them, the English was just so much more powerful than them.