• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

davidystephenson

Corporal
20 Badges
Sep 19, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
0FM63.png

In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility ~ Eleanor Roosevelt​

Remember that viral story about the never-ending game of Civilization II?

This AAR will chronicle a game using mauzzer's awesome Fantasia mod. As detailed on it's page, this means:

- all nations start with 1 province
- all nations can colonize
- all nations civilized
- all nations start without any techs
- all nations start with same population
- timeframe 1500(1650 lite) -2000
- regions reduced to province size
- lots of new units
- lots of new nations (almost 400 possible)
- lots of new unions
- new cultures
- many many more changes
- changed startdate to 1650 and rebalanced tech costs a bit
- some changes in startpop
- early units will all now fall under the irregular tab , so later units are managable more easy.
- some more minor changes to popgrowth and factories

But there will be one more slight modification. The end year will be changed to 9999999, the longest the code will allow.

In the long run, men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high ~ Henry David Thoreau​

This game will be played until the nation is destroyed, it alone rules the world, or time itself ends.

I'm not sure how long this will take (once a pace is established, it may perhaps be extrapolated). I'm hoping this endeavor will give us a better understanding of Victoria, gaming, and perhaps even world politics in the long run. I should also note that the explicit goal of this campaign will be survival. Conquest, riches, and development are all desirable, but it is most vital that the nation remain standing.

The worth of the state, in the long run, is the worth of the individuals composing it ~ John Stuart Mill​

Vital to making this process awesome is you, the reader. I very much welcome any comments, suggestions, ideas, or any other assistance concerning the game or AAR.

I'm not the most experienced Victoria player, and I'm totally new to this forum and AARs, so I'll need all help I can get. I want the strategy, as well as the vision for what the nation and world should become, to be a collaborative product. I hope to make this a team effort, so all involved can take equal pride in our accomplishment.

Per the rules on this forum, I should make clear that this is not an Interactive AAR. I will maintain control of what the nation does as well as what happens on this AAR. At this point, there will not be any formal system of voting or external decision making. Though I certainly want input and additions to the strategy of the game and structure of this AAR, this is a personally controlled process.

In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest ~ Henry Miller​

Gameplay should remain as organic as possible, and tactics which the AI for whatever reason does not utilize should be avoided.

As such, the house rules are:
  1. No reloading.
  2. No cheating.
  3. No editing the save, except for technical failure.
  4. No using armies to speed up colonization.
  5. No going over the infamy limit.

The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead ~ John Maynard Keynes​
Table of Contents

1. Prologue - The Southern (American) Strategy
  2. Chapter 1 - Viva Ecuador! (1650-1650)
  3. Chapter 2 - Gran Ecuadoria (1650-1676)
  4. Chapter 3 - Unity Through Strength (1676-1715)

Last edited:
Prologue - The Southern (American) Strategy

There has not been a war in South America for fifty years, and I have every confidence that the countries of Central and South America are deeply in earnest in the maintenance of peace ~ Frank B. Kellogg

I'm very excited to get started on this project.

Here's the starting set up:

s1OJi.jpg
s9WVj.jpg
xKwHN.jpg
4UhNG.jpg
IqRi0.jpg
8RUMh.jpg
oHdAm.jpg
MJFSe.jpg
2ZvSQ.jpg
re25y.jpg

After some experimentation, it would seem that the best starting opportunity is with either Colombia or Ecuador:

Ktv0B.jpg

Both have the same opportunities, assuming whichever one is picked immediately annexes the other. This allows for easy ports on both the Pacific and Atlantic, space to expand, and access to the initially uncolonizable Amazon Basin.

I personally lean towards Ecuador, as they have several political parties that offer Free Trade, State Capitalism, and Full Citizenship, which is how I like to play.

So what do you prefer? Colombia or Ecuador? What should the initial strategy be? What should our first technology be? Any thoughts on the plan for the future or how we want to sculpt our world? Please let me know!

Last edited:
What an intriguing idea, and ambitious to say the least. I'd pick Ecuador since it fits your style and after all, either or, the other one is going down fast.

Thanks for the input! I plan on putting this all into action this weekend. Any thoughts on the initial strategy or long term vision?

Question: Do the blank spaces mean the early years will basically be mass colonisation across the globe?

Exactly so. The Fantasia mod also equalizes all nations population's and technologies, and enables colonization for all. Though of course, rule 4 prevents us from exploiting the AI's failure to use armies in colonization.

Last edited:
interesting. i will keep an eye on this. How does the inital game work though? is colonization available from the start?

Exactly so! The Fantasia mod makes colonization available to everyone from the start. Check out the first section of the opening post for more detailed information on the mod. Please let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts.

Thanks for the input! I plan on putting this all into action this weekend. Any thoughts on the initial strategy or long term vision?

Well I look forward to it. On strategy, I have to say beyond the obvious (grab the good resources and POP centres) I have nothing to offer until you reveal the flow of events, as its so alien to normal Vicky II. On long term vision however, given your inspiration, I would enjoy seeing a handful of dystopian superstates battling it out in the year 5,000. Really I'm just hoping you don't finish too soon, as a looooong-term play will be interesting to watch in terms of game mechanics.

Particularly interested in the equal technology. Given an (intentional) trend of a normal Vicky game is for the 'Western' states to start on top and speed off, crushing all beneath, seeing where the superpowers appear in this game will be interesting. I dare say China and India might prove very dynamic regions.

Well I look forward to it. On strategy, I have to say beyond the obvious (grab the good resources and POP centres) I have nothing to offer until you reveal the flow of events, as its so alien to normal Vicky II. On long term vision however, given your inspiration, I would enjoy seeing a handful of dystopian superstates battling it out in the year 5,000. Really I'm just hoping you don't finish too soon, as a looooong-term play will be interesting to watch in terms of game mechanics.
So we're *trying* to tank the world eh? Well, that should make things pretty easy ;)

Particularly interested in the equal technology. Given an (intentional) trend of a normal Vicky game is for the 'Western' states to start on top and speed off, crushing all beneath, seeing where the superpowers appear in this game will be interesting. I dare say China and India might prove very dynamic regions.
Yeah, I think that whoever controls the Sinai, the American land bridge, and the British Isles will be the major powers. But we'll see, that's kinda the point :).

I'll have an initial strategy update here sometime tomorrow. But first, a few questions.

How would you guys like the AAR structured? Should I write it in character? In 1st or 3rd person? Should it be an impersonal account, like a textbook or maybe news articles? Am I the nation's leader discussing things with advisors (you guys)? Or should we skip pretense all together and just keep things low-key?

Also, what should the updates be titled? "Episodes?" "Chapters?" I'd like to use something a little different.

I've added a full world map to the prologue to give a better picture for everyone. Very excited to get started!

Last edited:
Reserved.
I love that this was inspired by the endless Civ 2 game and I hope like others that it turns into something similer, a few large states locked in endless war. But the future will come when it comes.
Seeing as you ask for input, I think that keeping things more relaxed and low-key for the AAR is a good idea. This could last a VERY long time and it might get really hard to stay in character after writing potentially hundreds and thousands of years of history.
Best of luck to you, I shall be watching this one. I may even try this at some point, piqued my interest.

Seeing as you ask for input, I think that keeping things more relaxed and low-key for the AAR is a good idea. This could last a VERY long time and it might get really hard to stay in character after writing potentially hundreds and thousands of years of history.
Interesting. I'm think I'm definitely able to keep in character (variety can come through lots of different ways), but maybe low-key is good for this concept. Thanks for the input!

If it takes 1 minute to finish a year(in the game), and you do nothing but play this game, it will take 20 years(in real life) to finish it...
Yikes, my girlfriend is going to be mad ;). The goal isn't really to finish it, but to play on hopefully forever.

Is it possible to make the start date -9999999?
Alas not, it would seem I can only make it go back to 1650 using defines.lua. But then again, I'm not an experienced modder or anything.

Last edited:
So you're basically going to play this for the rest of your life?

Of course, the game will probably end in a few hundred years with you conquering the world.

We'll see how it goes. I don't plan on devoting every second of my free time forever.

Most likely the whole world can be conquered - but we'll see. We as a community may decide its better to let some nations stay on, at least for a time.

Last edited:
Chapter 1 - Viva Ecuador! (1650-1650)

The people of Ecuador today have decided to save the republic, a republic of hope, in whose streets and green fields should flower dignity, hope, equality and happiness ~ Alfredo Palacio

So it's looking like Ecuador will be our chosen nation!

ZVPkn.jpg

I've started the game, not having yet pressed play. We start out with Post-Nelsonian Thought researched. Once we press play, the mod will give us $250,000 in starting funds and change our government type to Bourgeois Dictatorship. I plan on using the Union Republicana as our ruling party.

RRMaO.jpg

Obviously our starting 3 national focuses will be used for colonization. Our home territory is Quito. Our goals are to get solid access to the Atlantic, Pacific, and Amazon basin, and to gain as much contiguous territory as possible. Thus, I think our initial colonizations should be Guayaquil, for immediate naval access, Zamora, in the race for Moyobamba and Piura with Peru, and Buenaventura, in the race for Quibdo with Panama.

UtmZI.jpg

We will also begin heavy militarization, recruiting 2 Horsemen, 2 Swordsmen, and 1 Archer, with the aim of invading Colombia once 15,000 troops are acquired.

I'm thinking Enlightenment Philosophy for our initial research, followed by Malthusian Thought, and then Rights of Man.

H0ltf.jpg

We've received an alliance offer from Peru. Should we except?

UO6pX.jpg

One long term question we might want to think about is "do we want to take over the world?" Obviously this is typically the goal in a empire game, but it doesn't necessarily have to be ours. One of the great things about Victoria is that at its heart, it's really a role-playing game - there is no game-determined right or wrong. So what is our aim for the nation? What type of world do we want to create? Is peace and development our goal? Are we crusading idealists? If we had the chance to take over Scotland or Yemen, should we do it?

Of course our strategy and goals can change over time as the community grows - I just want to point out that Victoria is best as a role-playing experience, and thus part of the debate should focus on what we're trying to accomplish.

The World As It Is:

I5M5M.jpg

Last edited: