• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe optimizing and compressing is the solution instead of cutting out the things that makes this mod enjoyable? If that doesn't work maybe it's best to restore the cut stuff and start including things and make 4GB of ram a necessary.

Sadly I've tried compressing even more, as I stated above and some stuff just displays wrong imho. :sad: Editing stuff to look good under new compression would require so many man hours that even a paid employee would grumble. ;) Same goes for further optimization, it's hard to truly understand how long it can take until you try. :D I had barely started on optimizing the headgear layers (for MINIMAL memory gains) and one hour just flew by with so little progress I wanted to cry. :eek:o Sadly the mod is in a state where I lack the enthusiasm to put in the hours needed... time is precious and I'm at that point where I don't think investing it in optimizing this mod further is what I want to do with mine - or rather I don't want to do the major optimization overhauls I could do if I just said "fox it I can let the hours go down the drain I'll do it" hehehehe. So unless something dramatic changes and I suddenly decide that my mission on earth is to work on BLC, it's going to be minimalistic changes from now on. :(

Hey, as I said before, you already improved the look of the game immensely by what you've done. Your mod is one of THE essential ones for the game imo and all the work you have done really made something beautifull. Thank you for it!

Hello, I can't seem to be getting the Turks and Mongols working. I just end up getting a blank face

34hj52e.png

Why is it whenever i try to make a mongol character using the designer DLC he always looks different then what it showed he looked like on the faction select screen? It works fine when this mod isn't on.

Why is it whenever i try to make a mongol character using the designer DLC he always looks different then what it showed he looked like on the faction select screen? It works fine when this mod isn't on.
The Ruler Designer basically doesn't work.

I just wanted to say that BLC 7 is working great for me. Running fine alongside my own mods. I have been looking at Iberians and Occitans for so long, so I decided to try a Sweden game, with only your mod running. So to see the difference, I took some shots of landless courtiers in the Kingdom of Sweden then decided to share the difference, which is in many cases subtle but elegant in a way. Some random pics of vanilla characters:

Exhibit A: My vassal Thomas, Bishop of Skara, before and after. Main change is in the facial hair of course. Note also my character's beard that looks IMHO a bit 'better'.

scaled.php
scaled.php

Exhibit B: A female courtier in the County of Varmland before and after; as I said before, you might want to consider more variety in female clothing. Her liege looks nicer, but she could have a bit more options.
scaled.php
scaled.php

Exhibit C: Probably the biggest change in my sample, a pagan chancellor, with fuller beard, but a nice comparison, with the only difference his religion.
E
scaled.php
scaled.php

Exhibit D: Having seen the results of the previous, I decided to try another Swedish pagan courtier. Man do these Swedes have good traits!

scaled.php

Sweden should be an interesting test game for the event mod I'm currently working on. But I hope that this demonstration of the differences, particularly in facial hair for me, has worked out. You have done a tremendous job, and I can't really see myself playing without BLC now.

I just wanted to say that BLC 7 is working great for me. Running fine alongside my own mods. I have been looking at Iberians and Occitans for so long, so I decided to try a Sweden game, with only your mod running. So to see the difference, I took some shots of landless courtiers in the Kingdom of Sweden then decided to share the difference, which is in many cases subtle but elegant in a way. Some random pics of vanilla characters:

Exhibit A: My vassal Thomas, Bishop of Skara, before and after. Main change is in the facial hair of course. Note also my character's beard that looks IMHO a bit 'better'.

scaled.php
scaled.php

Exhibit B: A female courtier in the County of Varmland before and after; as I said before, you might want to consider more variety in female clothing. Her liege looks nicer, but she could have a bit more options.
scaled.php
scaled.php

Exhibit C: Probably the biggest change in my sample, a pagan chancellor, with fuller beard, but a nice comparison, with the only difference his religion.
E
scaled.php
scaled.php

Exhibit D: Having seen the results of the previous, I decided to try another Swedish pagan courtier. Man do these Swedes have good traits!

scaled.php

Sweden should be an interesting test game for the event mod I'm currently working on. But I hope that this demonstration of the differences, particularly in facial hair for me, has worked out. You have done a tremendous job, and I can't really see myself playing without BLC now.

Could you make my hair blonde instead? And I have blue eyes... Other than that, nice work :)

scaled.php
scaled.php

scaled.php
scaled.php

E
scaled.php
scaled.php

scaled.php

Johan, wild man of the woods!

Could you make my hair blonde instead? And I have blue eyes... Other than that, nice work :)

I was just curious, on discovering /characters/easteregg.txt just how much the PDS staff looked compared to their in-game selves, and then with Shaytana's additional clothing and changes to the whole system of variables. But by request, I'm sure that he can make your in-game avatar more true to life. :)

@Korbah: Yeah, I like that one, too. Looks rather like him, doesn't it?

Oh, and, while I'm at it: any way that we could make our CK2 portraits our forum avatars? I'm on the hunt for the randomly generated character who has my high cheekbones and patchy beard. Next contest idea, maybe? *hint, hint*

I don't think it's a coding issue on our side mate, I think it's simply the fact the game was not coded to maximize graphics potential, the way it uses dds is just a memory hog. :) Had I realized people would run into issues I would have gone about developing the mod in a completely different fashion maximizing memory efficiency, but I didn't expect the issues so BLC is not set up for maximizing memory efficiency, and to modify everything to set it up in the best possible fashion would require too much time investment. :(
Maybe, just maybe, Paradox will fix this. That way we can get an expanded BLC and I could actually play CK2 for some length of time without having my video card crash.

Thank you for your comments everyone!

@SolSara

I will make sure to give you custom dna for 8d. :cool: This mod started with giving landed characters dna in anycase so that's a guilty passion of mine hehehe.

----------

Hello again everyone! I've been away from this forum and my modding energies were focused mostly on my alternate history/gameplay mod, and testing BLC memory issues...

I tried some things, tested a lot...for example I at last noticed the interface graphics issues etc, while playing The Prince and Thane with BLC. After finally seeing the issues myself I wanted to see wether I can get the same issues playing vanilla CK2...and I could not(after maaaaaaaany hours). I then tried to see if my own mod which might be memory intensive as is in some respects similar to the Prince and Thane mod (as in it has a lot of new stuff, buildings etc) has a similar issue if i play it for hours... I did not get any issues whatsoever after many hours... What I concluded was that most likely there is no issue with BLC per se, I believe the issue is a memory overload issue...simply put when too much stuff is loaded at some point the game goes BOOM.

On 8d - given the changes are minimal (other than some fixes, and the new lamelar armor it's pretty much the same deal -I might have cut some things I forget hehe), I might hold on and release it after 1.06 comes out.

My modding energies are now focused on something else entirely... an alternate history and gameplay mod set in a vastly different reality... To put it this way Constantine did not desert Sol Invictus, the Sassanids beat back the Muslims... and so on. This mod is made for my own pleasure and gaming habits so it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but hey if people are interested I might release some version of it.

Oh noes, this universe does not compute:
ksQQx.png

Your sudden disappearance did cause some wondering if this mod was abandoned. Come on, Paradoxians, can't a guy take a week off from time to time. :p

Good to hear what you've been up to. I found the dev team's characters and could not resist. ;) Hope you didn't mind that little indulgence. BLC runs well with what I'm doing currently, but I think you're right that it is probably a memory overload: each computer has its own limits and can only take so much.

Your sudden disappearance did cause some wondering if this mod was abandoned. Come on, Paradoxians, can't a guy take a week off from time to time. :p

Good to hear what you've been up to. I found the dev team's characters and could not resist. ;) Hope you didn't mind that little indulgence. BLC runs well with what I'm doing currently, but I think you're right that it is probably a memory overload: each computer has its own limits and can only take so much.

Lol I loved your little indulgence. :D The mod is not abandoned, there WILL be an 8d for 100% certain (because it already exists on my computer -I just need to get around to releasing it or adding/fixing some stuff) but for now I'm focusing my moding energies on my gameplay mod, and until something radical happens with memory load BLC is depressing me because I can't add more things. :mad: I think that in the future people using BLC for their memory intensive mods need to decide what they need to cut themselves, I recommend cutting skins first. Those people who play vanilla or mods with minimum memory load can literally (with 2gigs+ memory fix and provided they have 4gigs ram) play forever with no issue... My mod adds a decent amount of stuff on top of vanilla and I had it run for around 10? hours straight and I had no issue.

No it's fine on its own. I tested out Ash's new traits mod with BLC running and no problems after 8 hours. Events mods take a lot of processing power for example, and graphics of course. I will have to cut the extra face sets I think once I post my event mod in its mature form.

Check out the eastereggs.txt in the history files if you want to see all the dev characters. Then look at the pictures in the Paradox advent calendar in the general discussion forum for some images.

I wish that they commented on mods more often, but I guess when something comes up of special interest they do.

Good luck again on the alt-history mod. Sounds like a lot of fun.

No it's fine on its own. I tested out Ash's new traits mod with BLC running and no problems after 8 hours. Events mods take a lot of processing power for example, and graphics of course. I will have to cut the extra face sets I think once I post my event mod in its mature form.

Check out the eastereggs.txt in the history files if you want to see all the dev characters. Then look at the pictures in the Paradox advent calendar in the general discussion forum for some images.

I wish that they commented on mods more often, but I guess when something comes up of special interest they do.

Good luck again on the alt-history mod. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Aye, I was pleasantly shocked to see a dev comment on this thread. :D I think I might add some dna for devs in 8d, I think I can do a credible Johan impersonator in any case. :cool:

The alt history mod IS fun, that's why I went with alt-history, so I can get away with fun stuff. ;) Although it's all well thought out alternate history(within limits hehe), not the "Sri Vijayan Shogunate of Cordoba" type hehehe, it's still a fun first mod -I mean who wouldn't want to bring an end to darkness by uniting Europe under the Light of Ahura Mazda? (by drowning the continent in a sea of cataphracts):blush:. I'm reworking it from scratch atm, my original version built on paradox files had a lot of issues, but the version I'm working on atm is geting to a decent shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.