• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started reading this AAR in the hopes it would reveal some of the intricacies of CK2 that elude me, and it did, but more than anything it gave me four solid hours of enjoyment. Thank you very much, and I will be right here with everyone else reading on to find out what happens to our tragic heroes the Zagwe's.

Wow. You're a quick reader. Of course, I had to take frequent breaks because I was laughing too hard...

A winnable war? Some mistake surely!

Ahh, but the Zagwes have never been known to be wrong before... Oops, sorry. Wrong universe.

That war is going to go absolutely horribly. I'm calling it right now.

My own personal experience with such wars tells me that not too long after your troops cross the border, the liege he's rebelling against is going to decide that the county you're besieging is the one he needs to capture so that he can add those precious few extra points to his war score, leaving you out in the cold and needing to build another army.

Yes, it was probably biting off a bit more than could be chewed.

10 bucks on you losing this war(unless you use allies and mercs. in that case i dont bet). mosul is a powerhouse of a duchy thats a pain to siege, fight and conquer if he is rebellign against his liege(unless the liege is about imploding in independence revolts) unless you got enough men to assualt his holdigns quickly. if you really want to take it, make taking at least ONE holding absolute priority. he cant white peace with his liege to save his ass if you hod something.

Good advice on taking something. And I agree about assaults. If you don't have enough to assault, you probably won't be successful, because eventually some big holy defender army will appear out of nowhere, so it's a race against time to finish it before it gets there.

You're ambitious or you aren't...

I'm sure nothing will go wrong... at all... really...

Everything can only go for the best, surely.

I just hope Ioanna doesn't try and sneak a bigger army into that emirate whilst you're left to fight the Selijuk's on your own. Do you still have claims to the kingdom of Abyssinia or have they been lost over time? On your previous post the Fatimids looked like they were in trouble.

Hmmm? The Fatimids? Abyssinia? :)

I see the Secret Order of Monophysite Goat Herders (or whatever their name was) have been hard at work. Still waiting to find out what happened to Aunt Whatsername's journal after Tesfaye's death.

Muahaha!

Oh boy, this will be good :)

:)

Who is your bloodline heir? Are you going to switch with the console when she dies?

It's been changed to elective and her half-brother elected as the heir. So I won't need to switch the console when she dies. The Zagwes will proudly live on!

Absolutely thiw war should go horribly ! Respect the tradition mate :laugh: .I had also this question under consideration what about Abyssinia? The future of your line? so many questions I think

The tradition of never winning any land by combat? Yes, that is a time-honored tradition indeed in this dynasty. Marriage and assassination can squeak by, but war-gain land, never.

Maybe you'd be better off if Count Tesfaye doesn't help you...

Pray that Tesfaye be with your enemies, actually. Then you cannot lose! :D

Count Tesfaye, Patron Saint of So-Bad-We-Hope-He-Helps-Our-Enemies

Considering that she has much more money than her ancestors Dionyssa is employing a risky but cunning strategy in the war ahead: she'll feed the baboons tej and release them from their cages, with luck they head in the vague direction of the enemy soldiers

Baboons are effective, yet fickle weapons, unfortunately.

Those're probably going to be the last baboons she has in her possession. The rest have been seized by the Shi'ite Fatimid occupiers.

Maybe a baboon v. baboon war, since both sides have them. Baboon escalation? Baboon disarmamant?

I started reading this AAR in the hopes it would reveal some of the intricacies of CK2 that elude me, and it did, but more than anything it gave me four solid hours of enjoyment. Thank you very much, and I will be right here with everyone else reading on to find out what happens to our tragic heroes the Zagwe's.

Thank you so much! I am happy that you enjoyed it.

Seized by the Fatimids? have you not heard of the great honorable Baboon King of Sennar? His rightious crusade against the Muslim opressors? He wont rest until the Zagwee's return to Sennar or he seizes control of the Tej production, whichever comes first

Hopefully for him it is the tej.

yeah. he's missing his favorite LETS TEAR THEM UP! family.

:)

I believe her heir is her half-brother and I think Duchess really needs to kill off her husband because something tells me I shouldn't like this heir of her's especially given who his mother is....

Maybe she should take some inspiration from her great-grandfather and send whom she wants killed to lead an army of 13 in to the dessert on a "scouting mission".

Hmmm... I never thought about the connection of the heir with Theophano. Life in World Zagwe just got more complicated. ;) Thanks!

Count me with the "Avoid the spirit of Count Tesfaye at all costs" caucus. :p

Holy Men charge a premium to keep the spirit of Count Tesfaye away.

Late to say that, but this chapter beginning is one of the most hilarious I have seen in my life. I just hope the story will be as good without baboons and with some heretics. Ho, the half brother will certainly be very good, if she manages to get him there.

Thanks! If not baboons, the Zagwes will manage to find something unpleasant that plagues them wherever they go. It's in their blood. Regarding the half brother, he will get whatever part of the duchy she manages to hang onto. But if everything goes well with her heir's betrothal, his heir will inherit three duchies. Basileus will have to sit up and take notice of *that*.

Bril-liant! nothing more to be said about it. Read up now since may, and it's incredible.

I appreciate it. Thank you!

Wow. You're a quick reader. Of course, I had to take frequent breaks because I was laughing too hard...

Thanks, Rfish!

The Zagwes

They really think they are rid of Sennar, rid of the Order, rid of the baboons, rid of tej, rid of the peasants, don't they?

Please ignore my snickering! ;)

As you will see with this next post, Africa is never too far away.

Chapter 75

The night before we issue our declaration of war to the infidels, I have another dream about Abyssinia. Again I dream that I am the last Christian monarch reining in Abyssinia, with one of my Ethiopian armies drawn up in front of the gates of Fasilghebbi Castle in Gondar before dawn. As they chant my name with love in their throats, the sunlight breaks over the mountains to the east. Carrion birds circle far above, knowing that they will feed well on the bodies of my enemies before the sun sets again. I wake knowing what I must do.

My generals gasp in surprise—and I would even think I detect a note of horror—when I announce the next morning that we are changing our declaration of war for… the Duchy of Gondar. I tell them firmly that I will not be satisfied until I am the next Queen of Abyssinia. I do not judge them for the many sideways looks that I see among them. It is to be expected from the many who are satisfied with pettiness.

Initially I plan to supplement my 4,200 levees with 7,200 Turkish mercenaries. My theory is that hiring both of the ve Emba brothers at the same time will cause them each to try to outdo the other in my service. But then I remember that I can call allies to arms.

My dynasty alliances finally come to fruition. I am able to call not only Doux Neophytos of Sicily, but also Basileus Alaxandros of the Byzantine Empire. I am very excited by this last addition, until I realize that the Basileus Consort rules only the small duchy of Galilee. Oh well, every little bit helps.

Surely “careless” here is referring to his stoical view of the world. Let’s hope so, anyway.

Instead of the ve Emba brothers, then, I will hire Captain Etrek “the Careless” of the Cuman Company, altogether giving me 7,700 troops under my direct control. My allies will amount to 2,000 troops, who will doubtlessly wander randomly over the countryside helping me little other than providing possible targets for angry infidel armies. It is only after I hire the mercenary company that I learn that its leader is known for being craven. This is not a good sign.

As my army sets out for far away Africa, Monophysite Demetrios Kantakouzenos dies “of natural causes,” which is the official version for his real cause of death, which was a freakish explosion in his alchemy laboratory. He had not left the room for weeks, having his food delivered to him, when the explosion was heard throughout the castle. Upon investigation, we did not find a scrap of his body anywhere, just charred clothes and burnt personal effects. There was, however, a powerful odor of singed hair, which then pervaded the castle and took weeks to finally dissipate. I had always liked kind Demetrios, despite his abhorrent heretical beliefs.

Again? Please, Lord, grant me a breather.

Owing to some deficiency in his intelligence, my ally Mikhael takes his army far ahead, despite my generals’ exhortations to wait for the main body of our host. This is not a good sign. Strangely, though, from the messages I receive as my army marches continually south, it is quiet among the infidels. There are only small bodies of their warriors to be found. I instruct Spymaster Artemios to journey deep into infidel territory to monitor their movements. He finds no armies as well. I send him a message to take great care in securing his safety in such dangerous environs. What I don’t tell him is that I want him to die from my orders, not some infidel’s.

Don’t let the ‘9’ deceive you. It is only a ruse.

To distract me from the campaign in the south, I decide it is time for another of my father’s murderers to die. Who better than the initial instigator of the plot against him, Theophano, his wife?

Since Artemios is busy trying not to die among the infidels, I ask Mayor Bagrat to take the initiative in assassinating Theophano. The poor man is so overjoyed at this return to something like the spymaster position that his eyes almost seem to pop out of his head as he chortles with glee at the talk of a plot. Unfortunately it seems that something has popped inside his head as a result of his extreme agitation, and he promptly falls to the side and dies. Poor, loyal Bagrat. It was difficult to be a very good spymaster when you have a kind heard as he did.

Fortunately Theophano turns out to be so incredibly naïve and trusting that even by myself, with no conspirators, I could end the woman’s life. I don’t really have the stomach for such things, however, so I ask Innokentios to join my plot. He readily agrees.

Innokentios turns out to be a thorough plotter, hatching not only one murder plot but also setting up a backup plot just in case the first fails. Perhaps someone is trying to catch my eye as the next spymaster?

With that plot power I could take out an entire dynasty.

Inspired by Innokentios’ efforts, I decide to have a few more courtiers assist in killing Theophano. Why leave anything to chance?

We hold a banquet to honor the memory of my dead father. Theophano seems preoccupied throughout and a bit apprehensive. This worries me, for she was known to be deadly with a weapon, and quite likely she has a knife or two hidden in her tunica somewhere, possibly something even larger. Unfortunately for her, her anxieties come too late. By the time she knows there is danger, she has already drunk the poisoned wine and is dying. It did not look as though she would expire quickly or quietly, and I became concerned that her spectacle of dying would upset the guests. So I politely suggest that she get a breath of fresh air outside the chamber on the balcony. Of course this is the same balcony that has the rigged railing, and so she fell to her death, whether ultimately from poison or the fall we will never know for sure. Dear father, I have come that much closer to avenging you. Only Artemios and Appollonios remain.

A small force of infidels in Sennar seem preoccupied by angry peasants or baboons. Caveat emptor, Caliph abu Mansur. Caveat emptor.

Good news is followed by further good news as I receive reports that a portion of my army—travelling in smaller segments to avoid the worst of attrition in the hot African sun—is poised at the border of Gondar. My allies had finally seen reason and waited for my army. So they all approach together and found practically no enemies armies in sight. The castles, cities, and temples of Gondar hang like ripe fruit, warmed by the sun, ready to be picked.

I wish you the best of luck in regaining your birthright, what could be more noble than avenging your dynasty and pleasing God (monotheistic or otherwise) at the same time. She'll make a good queen someday I hope.

Good work mate

Hello from the end of page 9. I have a large stack of essays I should be grading; instead, I'm laughing hysterically at the awesomeness of this dynasty. It must be something in the Badger blood ;) (I'm a Wisconsin native).

Who else are the Fatimids fighting?

An update on the parallel universe Zagwes:
Your interdimensional kinsmen have survived as an independent Abyssnia past 1200 but are currently locked in a civil war. Also they seemed to have kept their traditional religion

I am always tickled to see the standard of your duchy. :p

PHEAR the armies of the uhh... Nightshirts? :rofl:

And good luck and Godspeed on your holy war for your birthright! May the Zagwes again wear the crown of Abyssinia!!

I have found an explanation for the recent Zagwe successes:
the save file has been hijacked by this guy:
90zbp.jpg

I would gift you the african portraits dlc if I could! You deserve it for being so stubborn in suic... err.. adquiring Abbysinia.

Status
Not open for further replies.