• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter 74

Upon receiving the news of Sennar’s defection to the infidels, my attendants are shocked to see me weeping. I am speechless, so I cannot tell them that I weep from joy. No more baboons, no more angry peasants that seek to stab us in the back, no more crusted over wells. Now with no embarrassing distant province of Sennar to hold me back, there is no limit to what I can achieve in Byzantium. I have become ambitious.

I am with child again. This is not what I had in mind for my ambitions, advancing another dynasty's bloodline while leaving my own stagnant. If I cannot bring new life into my dynasty, then I will bring land.

Sultan Mamlan the Cruel attacks Tsar Fedot the Ill-Ruler of Russia in a Rawwadid Invasion of Khazaria. With my new ambition in life, I will keep careful track of the neighboring wars involving the infidels. Setting up marriages for my heir to inherit additional land is good and all for my dynasty, but if I want additional lands within my lifetime I am going to have to poach them from non-Byzantine lands. If Sultan Mamlan does poorly, I might be tempted to declare holy war on one of his duchies, which adjoin my territory.

Half of my court are blatant Monophysites, and the court chaplain picks on one of the actual Orthodox faithful? Mayor Antemios of Van is an inbred paranoid with barely a trace of talent and dabbles too much in mysticism, but he is not a heretic. I gently remind my chaplain that he should be looking for those who do not believe our religious principles. Those are the heretics, not the paranoids or inbreds. My chaplain assures me that I do not have to remind him of what our religious principles are, which is good because I cannot remember them precisely anyway. That is why I have bishops around.

Some months pass and I have another son.

The 66-year-old co-assassin of my father, Luitgard, is getting decrepid, and each week makes it more likely that a natural, peaceful death will steal her from us. She is our next target for murder.

I'm not sure what is more shocking: the number of people jumping at the chance to murder her, or having that many people in the plot with a plot power lower than 700%.

Impious, cynical, lying, envious, and arbitrary—there are not a lot of reasons to like her. But even I am surprised to see how many people want Luitgard dead. Eighteen courtiers are willing to take part in a plot on her life, and even some among the 13 remaining would be willing with the proper monetary inducement. So many people are involved in the plot that our gatherings to scheme become almost like parties, with sweetmeats and wine, and it becomes important to make sure we don’t accidentally mention something about the gatherings to Luitgard.

I'm not sure whether "Ill-Ruler" means he is ill a lot or just plain stinks at ruling.

The Kingdom of Russia is immense, but that is not helping the Tsar do poorly against his attackers, though.

And the Sultany of Rawwadid (Sultanate of Georgia)—just one of his attackers—has twice his number of troops. It is not looking like I will be able to poach some land off this infidel.

I really have no idea what I am drawing on these maps, but my generals have to let me do it.

But then the Yousidfid Emirate joins the war against the Tsar of Russia, and I notice that Uqaylid Emirate is only a new realm, fighting for its independence from the Seljuk Turks. Perhaps I could sneak in and grab a duchy while the infidels’ attention is turned.

Rumor reaches us that the province of Aintab, here within the imperial borders of Byzantium, has become predominately Monophysite! I can’t imagine where these Monophysites are coming from. I mean, it’s not like the few that linger in my court could cause something like that. Could they? As if the rumors agitate him into action, no matter how good or bad the results, my court chaplain is again stirring up trouble by labeling good Orthodox faithful as heretics. Bishop Nikolaos of Surb Khach may be an imbecile, but he is not a heretic. One could barely throw a stick in my court without hitting two or three Monophysites, and yet my chaplain keeps pointing at Orthodox believers? I instruct him to leave off exposing heretics for a while and focus rather on furthering our capital province’s cultural advances. Ironically enough, this turns out to be religious flexibility.

Within a week of my court chaplain’s accusations against Nikolaos, I receive word that the accused Bishop Nikolaos has died. The official pronouncement is that he was reduced to such a state of shock by the false charges of heresy against him that he lay down, refused to eat, and expired. The unofficial story is that his unbridled hedonism and lust led him to die of sexual excesses. I really had no idea that such a cause of death was possible, but then again I live a sheltered life and not the life of a Byzantine bishop, apparently.

My chief assassin Artemios tells me that Luitgard will soon meet her end due to a… faulty carriage? Eighteen co-conspirators and a carriage breaking down is the best we can do? I guess it is true what they say about the usefulness of committees.

Oh, I see. The carriage-over-the-cliff plan. Much better. I don’t even have to hear her screams, which is much preferable. And now we are rid of one more of my dear father’s assassins.

I decide the time is right to declare Holy War on the infidels and bring the true faith to the six-county-duchy of Mosul. These would more than double my current holdings and make me one of the most powerful doux in Byzantium. It is a grand war aim, one worthy of a descendent of the legendary warrior, my Great-Great Grandfather, Count Tesfaye, grandson of the last Christian King of Abyssinia. I only pray that his wisdom and bravery guide me as I take my duchy to war.

That war is going to go absolutely horribly. I'm calling it right now.

My own personal experience with such wars tells me that not too long after your troops cross the border, the liege he's rebelling against is going to decide that the county you're besieging is the one he needs to capture so that he can add those precious few extra points to his war score, leaving you out in the cold and needing to build another army.

10 bucks on you losing this war(unless you use allies and mercs. in that case i dont bet). mosul is a powerhouse of a duchy thats a pain to siege, fight and conquer if he is rebellign against his liege(unless the liege is about imploding in independence revolts) unless you got enough men to assualt his holdigns quickly. if you really want to take it, make taking at least ONE holding absolute priority. he cant white peace with his liege to save his ass if you hod something.

You're ambitious or you aren't...

I'm sure nothing will go wrong... at all... really...

I just hope Ioanna doesn't try and sneak a bigger army into that emirate whilst you're left to fight the Selijuk's on your own. Do you still have claims to the kingdom of Abyssinia or have they been lost over time? On your previous post the Fatimids looked like they were in trouble.

Absolutely thiw war should go horribly ! Respect the tradition mate :laugh: .I had also this question under consideration what about Abyssinia? The future of your line? so many questions I think

I decide the time is right to declare Holy War on the infidels and bring the true faith to the six-county-duchy of Mosul. These would more than double my current holdings and make me one of the most powerful doux in Byzantium. It is a grand war aim, one worthy of a descendent of the legendary warrior, my Great-Great Grandfather, Count Tesfaye, grandson of the last Christian King of Abyssinia. I only pray that his wisdom and bravery guide me as I take my duchy to war.

Maybe you'd be better off if Count Tesfaye doesn't help you...

Considering that she has much more money than her ancestors Dionyssa is employing a risky but cunning strategy in the war ahead: she'll feed the baboons tej and release them from their cages, with luck they head in the vague direction of the enemy soldiers

Last edited:
Considering that she has much more money than her ancestors Dionyssa is employing a risky but cunning strategy in the war ahead: she'll feed the baboons tej and release them from their cages, with luck they head in the vague direction of the eny soldiers

Those're probably going to be the last baboons she has in her possession. The rest have been seized by the Shi'ite Fatimid occupiers.

I started reading this AAR in the hopes it would reveal some of the intricacies of CK2 that elude me, and it did, but more than anything it gave me four solid hours of enjoyment. Thank you very much, and I will be right here with everyone else reading on to find out what happens to our tragic heroes the Zagwe's.

Those're probably going to be the last baboons she has in her possession. The rest have been seized by the Shi'ite Fatimid occupiers.
Seized by the Fatimids? have you not heard of the great honorable Baboon King of Sennar? His rightious crusade against the Muslim opressors? He wont rest until the Zagwee's return to Sennar or he seizes control of the Tej production, whichever comes first

Seized by the Fatimids? have you not heard of the great honorable Baboon King of Sennar? His rightious crusade against the Muslim opressors? He wont rest until the Zagwee's return to Sennar or he seizes control of the Tej production, whichever comes first

yeah. he's missing his favorite LETS TEAR THEM UP! family.

Who is your bloodline heir? Are you going to switch with the console when she dies?
I believe her heir is her half-brother and I think Duchess really needs to kill off her husband because something tells me I shouldn't like this heir of her's especially given who his mother is....

Maybe she should take some inspiration from her great-grandfather and send whom she wants killed to lead an army of 13 in to the dessert on a "scouting mission".

Philo32b said:
Upon receiving the news of Sennar’s defection to the infidels, my attendants are shocked to see me weeping. I am speechless, so I cannot tell them that I weep from joy. No more baboons, no more angry peasants that seek to stab us in the back, no more crusted over wells. Now with no embarrassing distant province of Sennar to hold me back, there is no limit to what I can achieve in Byzantium. I have become ambitious.
Late to say that, but this chapter beginning is one of the most hilarious I have seen in my life. I just hope the story will be as good without baboons and with some heretics. Ho, the half brother will certainly be very good, if she manages to get him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.