• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting worried at things going Tesfaye's way, but then I saw the rebellion and I knew there was still a Monophysite God.

Yes, Tesfaye may start to feel differently, but the rest of us are probably pretty confident that any progress is simply the universe toying with the Zagwe dynasty, getting them to let their guard down.

Another instance of uncharacteristic competence from Tesfaye. I think he's been replaced by an imposter.

LOL, yes complete incompetence would be following through with the brave-yet-foolhardy plan of leading the troops into battle at the head of the army. I'm sure cowardice played a part in rethinking this, as well as some sense. :)

Great job!

Now let's hope she can bear children.

Seeing as Teophano kinda sounds like a guys name. Given the luck of Tesfaye so far, it wouldn't surprise me if you caught yourself the very first CK2 transvestite :p

"Teophano." It does sound like a man's name. Yes, that would be Tesfaye's luck to marry his grandson to someone who can't biologically give birth.

:)

When the spirits of fate read this, they probably went:

Exactly.

Excellent. Let's hope nobody else in the Duchy realizes how valuable assassinations can be.

Yes, that mayor seems to like to do them. Maybe the duchess should take him out.

This can never work. If it does you've broken the trend of Abyssinian Bad luck. Which cannot happen with out potentially grave consequences for someone else Possibly the Caliph of the Shia Caliphate.

I'm sensing a growing consensus on the universe's designs for the Zagwe dynasty. :)

So many murders and yet they have had a happy ending. Tesfaye's grandson has freed himself from the wastes of Sennar.

You could be right... for Tesfaye's sake I hope you are. Maybe the Monophysite God was tormeting him for his impiety, but he has come through on the other side. Or maybe he is still doomed...

Chapter 40

8b50ddfa77afbfc3fea26485f5b220fdf4216bc0b9b0d94a441e339abe9638f96g.jpg

These clowns are very creepy.

It has been some time since I converted back to Monophysitism, and things have begun to go my way. I start to trust in the One Natured God’s plan for my dynasty—that it is a plan to help us and not torment us until we are no longer interesting to torture anymore. Maybe things are looking up.

36e571612a5073aaa5b8ad021ab2130a502248493e0d95efb6c2af443d66f42d6g.jpg

Sennarian generals have not gotten any better.

I’ll admit it. Part of my determination to help Teophano stems from my attraction to my grandson’s wife. So I am anxious to look good in her eyes by putting down the rebels. But after a long and grueling journey (at least I’m told it was grueling—I stayed back at the castle, of course), “the Drunkard” decides to show me up with an army almost ten times the size of mine. At least my dynasty’s legacy is safe, but it would have been nice to have Teophano hate me a little less.

deae7a5f2d42bba511766d1212ed256c5f7a552df4fc569d5e913be16a34be776g.jpg

I’m going to hear about this later.

Some random person shows up in my court with passable intrigue ability. Since we have low standards anyway, I immediately jump on him and appoint him our new spymaster. Melesse will be very upset with me, but I have had enough of her always trying to wear disguises and taking the spymaster duties much too far.

ae5d0b6aac3630426dc4185a8346ca882c3cd42a873e2919275d4a5f325fa7b56g.jpg

What is with Teophano's ambition to marry a ruler? She's already married to my grandson!

The One Natured God is looking out for me! My great-grandson is born, little Tesfaye Zagwe IV. He is still a member of my dynasty, just as planned.

5280726737fdecca5744bdac4e3b973a93d2aee1946372af3bd52ac691c560346g.jpg

“The Drunkard” loses his cravenness and then promptly bravely embraces death at 79. Things will be interesting in the Empire now. There will no doubt be a time of readjustment and even rebellion, which will enable me to use my army with an eye to looting and ransoms. After the incompetent Basileus Michael, a new ruler will probably be a good thing. He can bring a new constructive vision to the empire and use his power to make the land more prosperous and secure.

3437c149550170e547aaec6de1ed94ca1add65d0cf2897d6086eb17989bb37396g.jpg

Our new basileus. Still pining away in a Turkish prison because he can’t raise his own ransom. I notice that prison life has helped broadened his interests. His new hobby is impaling living creatures. This does not bode well.

Intriguing, can't wait for the next update in the Zagwe dynasty. One question, when/if Tesafye IV comes to power, won't he be called Tesafye IV V or whatever when he gets into power after there being Tesafye's before him? or even Tesafye IV IV?

Funny how the drunkard is more competent in death than in life :D

And things will really get interesting in Byzantium now. An imprisoned Basileus with no diplomacy skill to speak of and an intrigue of 0, with a female heir...juicy :D

The CoA of this Duchy your great-grandson - last remaining hope of your dynasty - is now going to inherit bears a plain white burial shirt on blood red ground...
now that is some foreshadowing! :eek:

This can never work. If it does you've broken the trend of Abyssinian Bad luck. Which cannot happen with out potentially grave consequences for someone else Possibly the Caliph of the Shia Caliphate.

Can I predict opportunity? If the Empire explodes into bits and pieces, there may be some small enough to gobble up, or at least loot. On the other hand, someone might look at the Duchy the same way. Who knows what a woman with a husband and a desire for a better husband will do. You know, she would be married to a ruler if she'd just put your heir in charge.

Oooooo the Basileus is in prison...could turn into quite the interesting coupla years then, especially since the Empire could go through a dynasty change over that female heir. Wonder if those in Sennar will be able to capitalize on any opportunities. Although I'm thinking the one-natured god is none to happy with the people of Sennar.

These clowns are very creepy.

You're preaching to the choir here, Tesfaye.

I start to trust in the One Natured God’s plan for my dynasty—that it is a plan to help us and not torment us until we are no longer interesting to torture anymore. Maybe things are looking up.

And cue the fire from Heaven...

Some random person shows up in my court with passable intrigue ability. Since we have low standards anyway, I immediately jump on him and appoint him our new spymaster.

But this guy hates you. So... I guess you decided that's better than incompetence?

He can bring a new constructive vision to the empire and use his power to make the land more prosperous and secure.

Excuse me while I try to clean the soda off my computer...

I notice that prison life has helped broadened his interests. His new hobby is impaling living creatures. This does not bode well.

Well, I dunno, he sounds pretty cool to me.

I'm genuinely thrilled by the bright prospects of your dynasty after all the dark years of toil and ignominy...

It's profoundly ironic that all the Greeks who came to Tesfaye's court asking for help to press their claims got nothing, while Teophano – the one Greek who came asking for nothing – got a ducal title. I think you should be honest from now on and put a big sign in Greek to warn any future visitors :D

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO SENNAR

And so, after producing no decent results, the practice of having prisoners execute prisoners was cancelled after a short trial involving the Byzantine Emperor. The jailers had not expected him to actually enjoy this.

Intriguing, can't wait for the next update in the Zagwe dynasty. One question, when/if Tesafye IV comes to power, won't he be called Tesafye IV V or whatever when he gets into power after there being Tesafye's before him? or even Tesafye IV IV?

Actually it’s just me adding the “IV”. But I have noticed that the first Tesfaye (our current character) does not have the “I” that you often see with rulers in CK2 (redundant, it seems to me, until there is a similarly named descendant born). So perhaps the game just thinks that Tesfaye’s line really doesn’t deserve the regal numeral in their names.

Wow, the overall 8k score loss of the Emperor will probably have quite an impact!

Yes, but it is funny how an incompetent ruler like “the Drunkard” became so prestigious, though.

Funny how the drunkard is more competent in death than in life :D

And things will really get interesting in Byzantium now. An imprisoned Basileus with no diplomacy skill to speak of and an intrigue of 0, with a female heir...juicy :D

Insta-rebellion! And yes, it is odd about his traits actually going up. I thought it had to do with his losing his cravenness, but really the whole post-death stat changes seem a bug in CK2.

The CoA of this Duchy your great-grandson - last remaining hope of your dynasty - is now going to inherit bears a plain white burial shirt on blood red ground...
now that is some foreshadowing! :eek:

LOL. The Monophysite God has a cruel humor.

Can I predict opportunity? If the Empire explodes into bits and pieces, there may be some small enough to gobble up, or at least loot. On the other hand, someone might look at the Duchy the same way. Who knows what a woman with a husband and a desire for a better husband will do. You know, she would be married to a ruler if she'd just put your heir in charge.

Looting, absolutely. And Tesfaye will try (and probably fail) to take part in that. Fortunately, though, the brothers attacking won’t have the cb to keep any counties they take from Tesfaye’s grandson’s wife, even if they do conquer them. But it is true that outside realms could see the weakness and declare war on any part of the empire, including Armenia.

You are going to crash and burn :D

LOL I’ve never seen that statement with a smiley before. Yes, you’re probably right. :)

Oooooo the Basileus is in prison...could turn into quite the interesting coupla years then, especially since the Empire could go through a dynasty change over that female heir. Wonder if those in Sennar will be able to capitalize on any opportunities. Although I'm thinking the one-natured god is none to happy with the people of Sennar.

Tesfaye will certainly try, but as you point out, God is probably against him.

But this guy hates you. So... I guess you decided that's better than incompetence?

The spymaster went from -35 to -5 after appointed, some of that less hostility stemmed from having his desires to be spymaster realized. But I’ll admit that I didn’t realize it would be only -5… I just saw someone capable in intrigue and hired them on the spot to get away from an intrigue of 2. He’s probably amoral, too. Tesfaye had better give the guy a bribe and an honorary title to keep him from plotting against him. You may have just saved Tesfaye’s life! :)

I'm genuinely thrilled by the bright prospects of your dynasty after all the dark years of toil and ignominy...

It's profoundly ironic that all the Greeks who came to Tesfaye's court asking for help to press their claims got nothing, while Teophano – the one Greek who came asking for nothing – got a ducal title. I think you should be honest from now on and put a big sign in Greek to warn any future visitors :D

That is funny, I never noticed that irony. They also toiled for years with no pay and many were murdered or died after being fired from council and cast aside. And here Teophano stays in Sennar one week and then she’s duchess and back in the land of her birth. LOL. Nikodemos, Anastasios, and Nikephorus must all be rolling in their grave. (Anatolios, too, but I doubt too many are sympathetic.)

And so, after producing no decent results, the practice of having prisoners execute prisoners was cancelled after a short trial involving the Byzantine Emperor. The jailers had not expected him to actually enjoy this.

Yes, prison life can put you in touch with your inner impaler.

Last edited:
Chapter 41

477f6e03e524ce73a347a0ff4879a8eb2ed8c70573d0d41f86e20fe2227826566g.jpg

One interesting thing about Basileus Maximos is that he is actually a kind man to his vassals and courtiers. How does this square with his impaling hobby? Somehow, the idea that he is very nice to most people and yet still will happily impale living creatures solely for entertainment makes the hobby that much more disturbing.

With the exception of his latest hobby of impaling creatures, for which no authoritative text exists, Basileus Maximos is a book learner. A man of deep learning, his abilities in administration stem from his study of the many writings on proper taxation and fiscal policies of the imperial state. His loosely competent grasp of military matters was acquired through careful study of the classic Byzantine books on tactics: such as the Praecepta militaria of Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas (written about 100 years ago), the Tactica of Leo VI (200 years ago), Strategikon of Emperor Maurice (500 years ago), and various others. (Stephanos updated me on these texts. I myself was trained as a warrior but I never bothered to learn anything on the subject.) As his current imprisonment shows, however, experience in warfare is necessary for mastery over just book learning.

0fc82d099effe45a8b137b6ae1921b9ed8514a329ab8f9c181c3819813e7b67e6g.jpg

Maximos’ heir is his only child, Princess Ioanna. In many ways she would be a superior ruler than Maximos. She has diplomatic skills, is not naïve to intrigue issues that constantly beset the Byzantine Empire, and is diligent, truthful, and charitable. True, she is also cruel, but at least she does not take enjoyment in impaling living things. Her drawbacks are that she is a female ruler—and that will arouse some measure of ill will from her vassals—and she embraces the Georgian culture, not Greek. Also, unlike her father, she has not had the opportunity to rule, and so her prestige is very low. Still, the Byzantine Empire would probably be fortunate if Basileus Maximos fell over dead quickly and left the state in his daughter's more capable hands.

14541649b1d8b62f6e8785d5de97c129d72e35f698579437d567211b364118a86g.jpg

Maximos’ two youngest brothers are too young to demonstrate their brotherly love through force of arms.

While Basileus Maximos has six brothers and sisters, only his elder sister is not from a different mother. “The Drunkard” had three wives in all, and it is amazing that none of the children of the first two wives were murdered by subsequent queen consorts looking to clear a way for her own eldest child. Perhaps Maximos’ stay in prison helped him stay alive.

It is evident that not too much sibling fondness is shared by the family, though, as the two adult brothers are the only ones to have taken the opportunity to declare war against their imprisoned brother. Unless several others also attack or rebel, they do not have a hope. Which is perfect for me to try to sack some cities and churches.

125b5e8be0d65626264d6aa765ffeb3ea5cff68c474d3460d1a0d654418d19256g.jpg

What happened to my levees?

It is with no small amount of frustration, then, that I hear Marshal Stephanos’ report on the state of our army. The superior administrative abilities of our new basileus are making themselves felt. Unlike the comfortable old ways of Basileus Michael—raising what he could from whatever happened to be available in my county—Basileus Maximos has enacted new policies forbidding me from raising more than 70% of my total levee pool, leaving the 30% intact for him. I never thought I would say this, but I miss “the Drunkard” and all his incompetence.

I wonder, who will the basileus impale if he ever gets out of prison...

Probably his gaoler (and his imperial wife, if you know what I mean;))

On another note, the empire sure looks to be ripe for a looong civil war, especially when the Basileus dies. Fun times ahead!

Last edited:
I wonder, is there anybody else wondering about the Basileus?

I'm wondering about him I have a suspicious feeling the way this has been going that the Basileus will end up living till he's in his 80s in prison

Hey, if he imprisons you, do you join him or go to a different prison? Not that I'm saying that'll happen, or anything, I'd just love to see the Emperor say to his jailer "set two more places, I'm expecting guests".

Status
Not open for further replies.