• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The categories probably need to be revised as well :p
More from "general changes" should probably be in categories, and "other warfare changes" really needs to be broken up into smaller categories.

As to nesting, having sub-categories for main categories would work, though actual nesting isn't needed; just make the main category heading bigger. Having everything war related within one main category for example seems like a decent idea.

gah, and I said don't quote it! It's like how there are always handprints if you place a Wet Paint sign :rofl:

in any case, I was thinking of nesting for minor categories that can't be rewritten into a single sentence (without being unwieldy) yet can be still merged enough to cut some redundancy
also, I was indeed planning to clump as many related categories as possible and redo organisation of stuff from ground-up (which is why I've been postponing it for sometime, since I can see the need to get comfy and have a large block of time first :laugh: )

Holy crud what in the name of the good lord, we have quite a list there.

Holy crud what in the name of the good lord, we have quite a list there.
And that's not even including Shattered Balance's fancy optional features!

- Enable a few special CBs, making early-game conquest much easier.
- Destroy all merchant republics
- Make all titles Feudal (if merchant republics are allowed to live they won't be affected)
- Lucky AIs (early-game bonus to make them consolidate faster)
- All rulers become immortal and infertile. If a non-immortal is independent an immortal will usurp his titles

And that's not even including Shattered Balance's fancy optional features!

- Enable a few special CBs, making early-game conquest much easier.
- Destroy all merchant republics
- Make all titles Feudal (if merchant republics are allowed to live they won't be affected)
- Lucky AIs (early-game bonus to make them consolidate faster)
- All rulers become immortal and infertile. If a non-immortal is independent an immortal will usurp his titles

... that list was actually quite believable... until I think someone has a system typo and it's showing up as April 1 on that person's computer calendar :laugh:

... that list was actually quite believable... until I think someone has a system typo and it's showing up as April 1 on that person's computer calendar :laugh:
Oh, it is very much real.
The immortals feature makes for some rather interesting outcomes.

Oh, it is very much real.
The immortals feature makes for some rather interesting outcomes.
well, for one thing, the name "Shattered Balance" becomes rather appropriate for one :D
still, who exactly becomes the heir then (if one is infertile)?
does that mean that dying is an instant game-over?

well, for one thing, the name "Shattered Balance" becomes rather appropriate for one :D
still, who exactly becomes the heir then (if one is infertile)?
does that mean that dying is an instant game-over?
If you've got anyone you're remotely related to, they'll inherit. If not, a vassal does. If the vassal isn't immortal, someone who is will take over (someone within your realm if possible. If you're independent another independent immortal can take over).
Death is game over unless you've got landed dynasty members (all unlanded dynasty members die on campaign start). So if you're playing in Russia for example you've good a lot of extra chances.

Traits:

• The Intrigue education traits makes the AI more amoral (more likely to join plots and such)
  • The Diplomacy and Learning education traits makes the AI more moral
  • The first tier of each education trait makes the AI less ambitious. The two last tiers makes the AI more ambitious (except for Learning)
  • Celibate characters now dislike Hedonists -10 rather than -5
  • Reduced the opinion bonus from Born in the Purple from 10 to 3
  • Reduced the opinion bonus from Genius from 5 to 3
  • Reduced the opinion bonus from Strong from 10 to 5
  • Reduced the opinion bonus from Diligent from 10 to 5
  • Reduced the opinion bonus from Kind from 10 to 5
  • Reduced the opinion bonus from Brave from 10 to 5
  • Reduced the opinion bonus from Just from 10 to 5
  • Reduced the opinion bonus from Gregarious from 5 to 3 (+2 diplomacy gives extra opinion already)
  • Reduced the opinion bonus lieges get from Content characters from 50 to 30
Yeah, I'm finally editing traits, mostly thanks to discovering that Born in the Purple gives a ridiculous +10 opinion. It shouldn't give any opinion (or just a tiny amount); it not being there should be giving a penalty.

Reducing Content but leaving Ambitious as is (-50 plus another -5 if you have it too) is pretty ridiculous. +50 from Content was quite over powered but the way it is now, Ambitious is impossible to deal with especially with the crown laws the way they are. My Chancellor & Spymaster literally do nothing else but Improve Relations and Scheme on Ambitious Dukes the entire time otherwise I'll be fighting civil wars constantly due to the reductions as quoted above.

Also I've got a Mayor with -20 for "Fired from Council" even though I fired him from being Steward when I started the game more than 17 years ago. Is this maybe a bug with the initially placed councilors or something else?

Few issues I noticed with Crown Laws:

Feudal lords getting -10 from "Free Infidel Revocation" doesn't make much sense unless they are actually "infidels". Hell some of my dukes in Byzantium love that law as they've gone from one county to 3 or 4 thanks to me pressing their ducal claims & then them revoking the newly vassalized Muslim counts titles yet I still get a -10 from everyone even though it's not even applicable to them. They should be -5 as per "Free Title Revocation" if they are the same religion as me & Zealous characters should give the same bonus as Religious characters rather than a malus as I expect they'll be quite happy with it.

Why does any level of "Emperors Peace" reduce the max levies available from vassals in all empires? I can see why this would apply to the HRE but why Byzantium, Persia etc? Also why does it give Burghers & Religious vassals an opinion penalty? Again it's not applicable to them at all and they would likely be happier about not being constantly at war & having a different liege every few years yet they get -5 or -10 depending on the level.

Reducing Content but leaving Ambitious as is (-50 plus another -5 if you have it too) is pretty ridiculous. +50 from Content was quite over powered but the way it is now, Ambitious is impossible to deal with especially with the crown laws the way they are. My Chancellor & Spymaster literally do nothing else but Improve Relations and Scheme on Ambitious Dukes the entire time otherwise I'll be fighting civil wars constantly due to the reductions as quoted above.

Also I've got a Mayor with -20 for "Fired from Council" even though I fired him from being Steward when I started the game more than 17 years ago. Is this maybe a bug with the initially placed councilors or something else?

Few issues I noticed with Crown Laws:

Feudal lords getting -10 from "Free Infidel Revocation" doesn't make much sense unless they are actually "infidels". Hell some of my dukes in Byzantium love that law as they've gone from one county to 3 or 4 thanks to me pressing their ducal claims & then them revoking the newly vassalized Muslim counts titles yet I still get a -10 from everyone even though it's not even applicable to them. They should be -5 as per "Free Title Revocation" if they are the same religion as me & Zealous characters should give the same bonus as Religious characters rather than a malus as I expect they'll be quite happy with it.

Why does any level of "Emperors Peace" reduce the max levies available from vassals in all empires? I can see why this would apply to the HRE but why Byzantium, Persia etc? Also why does it give Burghers & Religious vassals an opinion penalty? Again it's not applicable to them at all and they would likely be happier about not being constantly at war & having a different liege every few years yet they get -5 or -10 depending on the level.
I'll set Ambitious to -30.
Fired from Council is supposed to disappear after 10 years.
Even infidels have feudal rights; the king/emperor being able to freely revoke their titles sets bad precedent. I'd give a bonus when zealous and same religion if that was actually possible in a decent way.
Empires in general are too strong. The Byzantines were only a regional power after Manzikert, the HRE is obviously OP, and Persia has huge numbers of troops as long as they stay together.
If I could only apply the opinion penalty from internal peace to count-tier and above I would, but that's sadly not doable. Count level burghers and bishops have expansionary ambitions too. They get less of a penalty to represent them not caring quite as much as feudal lords.

I feel like ambitious should be impossible to deal with. After all, if they were willing to settle with what they have, they wouldn't be ambitious. Unsure reduction of the penalty is necessary.

I feel like ambitious should be impossible to deal with. After all, if they were willing to settle with what they have, they wouldn't be ambitious. Unsure reduction of the penalty is necessary.
Even -30 is quite big. Might set it to -40 in the future, but first I'll have to see how it works out at -30.

Project Balance 3.1.20 released

Should be save-game compatible. Certain changes will only affect new campaigns. SWMH is not compatible with old PB saves.
Do note that there may be some issues caused by the update for 1.092 compatibility.
If you encounter any issues or have any feedback, please report it in this thread.

Download: .7z archive version
  • The Elective Succession faction now requires that the realm have no crown laws except at most low crown levies (previously it only required no King's Peace. Vassals should only be able to force Elective in highly decentralized realms
  • It is no longer possible to enact Free Infidel Revokation, Complete King's/Emperor's Peace, No External Inheritance, or High/Maximum Crown Levies when using Feudal Elective succession. If you've got any of those laws you cannot adopt Feudal Elective succession
  • Implemented vanilla's distance restriction on holy war (can't declare holy war if the target is more than two seazones away
  • A few restrictions on dejure claims no longer affect players, only the AI
  • Fixed the Tribal Raid CB applying an absolute reduction in holding income rather than a relative one
  • Slowed down culture conversion by about 20%
  • The Normans now start with generals for their armies in the Norman-Byzantine war
  • The Norman Conquest of the Balkans now targets the dejure kingdom of Epirus, making the AI less stupid about what counties it besieges
  • The AI now won't assault holdings unless it outnumbers the garrisons 10:1 (from 8:1)
  • Implemented the Catholics Can Unite the Schism mini-mod
  • Halved the opinion bonus from Sayyid and Hajajj
  • The Long Reign opinion bonus now starts after 20 years
  • Gave the Fatimid Sultan a few starting traits (content, humble, and slothful) based on how he dealt with the Fatimid famine and civil war
  • Reduced the opinion penalty from ambitious to 30
  • Increased the size of the unreinforcable army the Rum Sultanate gets upon its formation to 8000 men
  • Turkish culture now spreads half as quickly to coastal provinces, and thrice as quickly to inland provinces. Turks can no longer spread culture via ports
  • Rum no longer gets the Tribal Invasion CB against Byzantium; the events should be enough
  • Added an event following the formation of Rum that causes the Bulgarian Empire to become a dejure title consisting of Bulgaria and Serbia. It also adds severe negative modifiers to non-Greek provinces in the Byzantine Empire unless the Byzantine Emperor chooses to give them increased autonomy, handing over all titles held by non-Bulgarians in the Bulgarian Empire to a Bulgarian who becomes king of Bulgaria while remaining a vassal
PB + SWMH Compatibility Patch 1.7 released

• Now compatible with SWMH 2.7 - Note that if you don't download the new version of SWMH you might encounter some issues
Download: Included in the download above

Project Balance Module Pack 1.5 released

• Gender Equality: Now compatible with PB + SWMH
  • New module: Shattered Balance. Every single county is independent. Note that this isn't reflected on the campaign start screen; the world is only shattered once you've loaded the actual campaign. Works for any date, and for any combination of mods
Shattered Balance optional features:

• Enable a few special CBs, making early-game conquest much easier.
  • Destroy all merchant republics
  • Make all titles Feudal (if merchant republics are allowed to live they won't be affected)
  • Lucky AIs (early-game bonus to make them consolidate faster)
  • All rulers become immortal and infertile. If a non-immortal is independent an immortal will usurp his titles
Download: Included in the download above

Last edited:
Yeah, couldn't hurt to test it at -30. That's probably enough for ambitious characters to continue destabilizing the AI, just worry it'd make them a bit too easy to deal with for players.

I noticed that you somehow managed to cram that changelog in :laugh:
in that case, I guess I don't have to rush it then? I kinda ended up busy with some translation stuff :D

I noticed that you somehow managed to cram that changelog in :laugh:
in that case, I guess I don't have to rush it then? I kinda ended up busy with some translation stuff :D
Next version will be Sunday most likely.
I ended up Pastebinning the iterative changelog, so that did leave me with more space. I'd still like to rewrite the full changelog so it is easier to read though.

Meneth, one question: If I use PB, VIET events + immersion and SWMH, defines.lua is in your jurisdiction, right?

Next version will be Sunday most likely.
I ended up Pastebinning the iterative changelog, so that did leave me with more space. I'd still like to rewrite the full changelog so it is easier to read though.
mind if I have a copy (of the text/link)? I could (probably -_-) edit them within the week this way.

mind if I have a copy (of the text/link)? I could (probably -_-) edit them within the week this way.
I don't see why you'd want the iterative changelog?
Or if you mean the proper changelog, just quoting the post with it in should get you everything.

Okay, I have a weird conflict. I have the following mods loaded: VIET asset, VIET events for immersion, VIET immersion, VIET traits, SWMH, SWMH + PB, PB, and Lupus Agnum - which only changes the triggered modifiers and adds a localisation - so shouldn't effect this: