• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As the unreformed, norse pagan king of sweden + denmark, I understand that the rules of gavalkind will result in my first born inheriting sweden, and the 2nd denmark, but if I form the empire of scandinavia, would my first son inherit both the empire AND sweden, or just the empire?

As the unreformed, norse pagan king of sweden + denmark, I understand that the rules of gavalkind will result in my first born inheriting sweden, and the 2nd denmark, but if I form the empire of scandinavia, would my first son inherit both the empire AND sweden, or just the empire?

Your 1st born will get the empire and your 2nd born gets sweden + denmark (assuming you have 2 sons only).
The kindgoms will of course stay as vassals to the empire.

What requirements are needed to send a courtier to a military order instead of a monastery ? It seems dependent on the martial skill but what determines which order they join ?

Is there any way to convert a foreign current ruler to my religion ?
A non-merchant (and therefore open-elective) republic emerged in my game, and I want to protect them against vile pagans around it.

A non-merchant (and therefore open-elective) republic emerged in my game, and I want to protect them against vile pagans around it.

Holy war them and hope they convert to avoid conquest.
That's the only way i remember.

Though i forgot if the" change religion due to possible conquest" is possible for all religions... don't think so and too lazy to look it up.
Hmm....this wasn't that helpful....sorry.

Anyone know if you can still get achievements in Ironman v2.0.4? My version is kept backdated intentionally and I wanted to know before trying to get SPQR.

I don't know about "still" but this was definitely fine before as this is exactly what I did. I assume you're using the official "beta" function to do this?

If they're not pagan, no, there is no reliable way to force their religion -- the only real way is to push a claim by a coreligionist on the title or capture an heir and raise him to be your religion. The latter is effectively impossible with a republic and neither of those fit your bill of changing the "CURRENT" ruler's religion.

If they are pagan, you can try to force it by a holy war or by deploying your court chaplain (or equivalent). At some point, the holy war option was also possible for Zoroastrians.

Not sure if this has been asked, but does the distance modifier effect the promotion of clerics to the Cardinalate? And if it does, is there a way to circumvent that?

1. If you become Saoshyant (through the decision), does the Saoshyant Descendant trait only go to the children (current or future) you have with your wife? Or does it apply to children with concubines as well?

Playing a game right now where the daughter I have with my wife gets the Saoshyant Descendant trait, but the son and daughter I have from my concubines do not get it. Maybe the "Child of Concubine" trait is blocking the Descendant trait.

Also, I assume that the Descendant trait can get passed down through the female line? (As opposed to Sayyid which only gets passed down through the male line).

2. Secondly, on the issue of concubines, does anyone recall if Sayyid is passed down to children of concubines (if you are playing a Pagan, Zoroastrian, or Buddhist/Hindu/Jainist Sayyid)?

Thanks!

1. If you become Saoshyant (through the decision), does the Saoshyant Descendant trait only go to the children (current or future) you have with your wife? Or does it apply to children with concubines as well?

Playing a game right now where the daughter I have with my wife gets the Saoshyant Descendant trait, but the son and daughter I have from my concubines do not get it. Maybe the "Child of Concubine" trait is blocking the Descendant trait.

Also, I assume that the Descendant trait can get passed down through the female line? (As opposed to Sayyid which only gets passed down through the male line).

2. Secondly, on the issue of concubines, does anyone recall if Sayyid is passed down to children of concubines (if you are playing a Pagan, Zoroastrian, or Buddhist/Hindu/Jainist Sayyid)?

Thanks!

1. Every child you have should get it as long as you are marked as the father.

2. It should pass down to any child of the one having it.

Under what circumstance does the AI create an Antipope ? I have over 150 hours of playtime (actively, not just alt tabbed), but I have yet to see the AI to create the Antipope.

Last edited:
Is there a way to change cultures of cities? I'm playing as a Republic and I'm turning conquered counties into city-counties, but they are always ruled by Germans or Italians. How can I change that?

Hi Guys, I am new to game. Asking here because a lot of the guides I've read are for old patches of the game and everything has changed.

I've started an Ireland save with Dublin and just taken Kildare when inherited Leinster (took a few goes because I didn't realise how important best general is, or how crap initial ruler marital stats are). From a LP video, when the guy took it he was able to turn the Count into a vassal, but when I took the holding, the count became a prisoner, I forced a win condition to get the country but instead of him becoming a vassal he ran off to another court. So I'm confused there, how do you make them into vassals? Because I was over demense I gave it to my first pretender son, is that going to cause any problems?

One more thing too, I am confused by the marriage system and how to get vassals/counties into your kingdom that way, it doesn't seem to make sense. I can marry half-brothers and young sons to daughters of William of Normandy but I can't wed any daughter close to the line of succession of Irish Counts. Whenever I try to marry any them to sons or grandsons they say 'Wants Better Alliance' or 'Political Power'. How do you overcome that? I could marry someone further down but don't fancy killing into claim because plot power is so low (about 20%) to work.

Thanks.

Hi Guys, I am new to game. Asking here because a lot of the guides I've read are for old patches of the game and everything has changed.

I've started an Ireland save with Dublin and just taken Kildare when inherited Leinster (took a few goes because I didn't realise how important best general is, or how crap initial ruler marital stats are). From a LP video, when the guy took it he was able to turn the Count into a vassal, but when I took the holding, the count became a prisoner, I forced a win condition to get the country but instead of him becoming a vassal he ran off to another court. So I'm confused there, how do you make them into vassals? Because I was over demense I gave it to my first pretender son, is that going to cause any problems?

One more thing too, I am confused by the marriage system and how to get vassals/counties into your kingdom that way, it doesn't seem to make sense. I can marry half-brothers and young sons to daughters of William of Normandy but I can't wed any daughter close to the line of succession of Irish Counts. Whenever I try to marry any them to sons or grandsons they say 'Wants Better Alliance' or 'Political Power'. How do you overcome that? I could marry someone further down but don't fancy killing into claim because plot power is so low (about 20%) to work.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean. Did you press a de jure claim? Or was it a personal claim/something else?

I have an ironman save that I am 200 hundred years into. Every time I load it, the game crashes on the next day or when I save. I have no crashes otherwise. Is the save screwed or is there a fix to this? Thank you for any help.

Thanks.

In order to force someone to be your vassal you must first be high enough rank to have them as vassal (I understood from your post, that you only became duke after taking Kildare). As a count you can never under any circumstances have other count (or higher rank) vassals.
Secondly, if you are pressing a regular claim (your own or someone else's) as you were with your fabricated one, you are explicitly attacking to take the land, meaning that the former owner loses it. For him to become your vassal, you would have to press a de jure claim (and be high enough rank to have him). Note that when you press a regular claim against someone and win, all of their former vassals become the claimants vassals.

Regarding the marriage, rulers in CK2 are often wary of entering unions that can put themselves at risk. When they list "political concerns" as a reason not to give you their daughters, it can be because they don't want to give you claims on their land though them, or simply because they don't want to be your ally, because they want to attack you. When they list "wants better alliance", they want to ally with someone more powerful or someone they believe is in a position to help them. Also, if the daughter is a pretender or heir to a title they will attempt to get a matrilineal marriage.