• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It sure does. I pressed de jure(?) claim for every single holding instead of holy war for the whole province so that explains a lot. Thanks jepmaine & Maizel.

Do I have to arrange for all of my courtiers' marriages myself? Or will some of them get married on their own/propose a match for my approval. Robert the Cruel is getting tired of running a dating service for all of his millions of nieces and nephews.

Prestige hit. Also if unlanded, they are unable to spread your dynasty to title, without you marrying them to unmarried titled ladies.
Keeping sons unlanded is a very effective way to minimize civil war risk, but comes at a cost.

I'm sorry, I'm still learning the game; wouldn't your dynasty be spread to the title if you control it personally? Your heir would then control it, his heir, etcetera?

interesting..

is it possible I banished someone, and the effect of -20 was cumulative to 3 titles I took in the process? whenever I banish or revoke, it never seems consistent with the penalty description.

Now that I more or less understand the rules, I rarely banish anyone. If they rebel or sometimes plot (depends on plot?) I can imprison and then revoke a title with no penalty at all. However, you only get one free revocation. You might want to take the top one, or, if you're sneaky, you might want to leave them the Duchy and take a county from that duchy away from them (-relations hit for "desires county X") so they revolt again.

Question - speaking of being sneaky, this doesn't always work. A vassal revolts, I imprison and revoke a title. He revolts again, and I don't always seem to get a free revocation. Is there a timer on getting a second free revocation? Seems to me that any time a vassal revolts that the others would understand the penalty and if anything that a recent capture would make the feisty vassal a little more cautious. In other words, he's the bad guy for revolting right away, not me for imposing a second penalty for a second crime, even if I am being sneaky.

Now that I more or less understand the rules, I rarely banish anyone. If they rebel or sometimes plot (depends on plot?) I can imprison and then revoke a title with no penalty at all. However, you only get one free revocation. You might want to take the top one, or, if you're sneaky, you might want to leave them the Duchy and take a county from that duchy away from them (-relations hit for "desires county X") so they revolt again.

Question - speaking of being sneaky, this doesn't always work. A vassal revolts, I imprison and revoke a title. He revolts again, and I don't always seem to get a free revocation. Is there a timer on getting a second free revocation? Seems to me that any time a vassal revolts that the others would understand the penalty and if anything that a recent capture would make the feisty vassal a little more cautious. In other words, he's the bad guy for revolting right away, not me for imposing a second penalty for a second crime, even if I am being sneaky.

I want a bit of clarification on this. Once somebody is imprisoned, you may take one (but only one) title from them with no penalty (i.e. the rest of your vassals hating you). Is that correct? I tried this once on somebody, but everybody hated me; maybe I accidentally removed more than one title?

I'm sorry, I'm still learning the game; wouldn't your dynasty be spread to the title if you control it personally? Your heir would then control it, his heir, etcetera?

Basically, if you grant the boy land, he will marry and have a bunch of sons. Those males could all end up in someones succession list, depending on how he marries them off. Always nice seeing a dynasty member some where you never expected them. It's basically like throwing a dart blindfolded, it might hit something, it might not.
If you don't give him land, it it'll limit his marriage options, since he will have no title himself. An unmarried heir to a duchy may say no to a regular marriage, since the boy has no rank. This is less of an issue with sons, more of an issue with nephews.
Normally though, giving the other son land doesn't lead to him making some amazing marriage, just leads to a potential civil war. I'd, generally, go with not giving them land as you were thinking of, recently though I've been trying out the idea of aiming for high dynasty prestige, instead of individual power/prestige. Changes the objectives of the game a bit.

I want a bit of clarification on this. Once somebody is imprisoned, you may take one (but only one) title from them with no penalty (i.e. the rest of your vassals hating you). Is that correct? I tried this once on somebody, but everybody hated me; maybe I accidentally removed more than one title?

If someone revolts, they get marked as a traitor. That allows you to revoke a single title. If you beat them in the revolt, it's very easy to revoke the title while the are in prison.
Simply tossing them in prison, doesn't allow the revocation, they need to revolt first.

This is my understanding and my experience, and I have revoked dozens of titles with no penalty.

It is possible, however, that some things will let you imprison someone without claiming a title. I know you can imprison for excommunication, for example, not sure if you get a free revocation (I liked my uncle as one of my few loyal vassals). I think there's also the timer I mentioned between revocations, so if you did it before, you might just want to try the oubliette and hope the heir either revolts or proves loyal.

It would be nice if they expanded the tooltip if the game has determined that you would ordinarily be able to revoke a title but you cannot for some reason ("free revocation already used" etc).

Ah, so that's the difference! Thanks, CirMag!

Question re: capitals. How do I designate which province in my demense is the capital (and is it at the holding level, or the province?)

Province-level. It's the little circular button with a crown to the left of the province name.

Excellent. Thank you!

About plots and plot power.

Is it necessary to have 100% plot power to make events fire? I´m trying to lower crown authority in HRE, I´m the spymaster of HRE as well with 18 intrigue stat on my ruler alone.

Is there any way to add to the territory you are trying to seize during a war if your fighting Muslims/Pagans? It's rather annoying that I can launch a holy war against the Muslims but can only take one province here to "complete" my duchy and I'm kicking their butts up and down the Holy Land and can not seem to demand anything more.

Is there a quick way to check for possible claims of my dynasty members-vassals? (Once upon a time I accidentally noticed that my cousins/nephews had claims to certain counties I could actually get for them.)

And me thinks that this (or any other quick questions-answers) thread deserves a sticky. :)

Anyone know how your capital/court's location is determined, and if there's a way to move it?

Playing as a Hungarian count, I built up to a duke, then invaded Sicily with a holy order and took it all. Court stayed in Pecs where it had started, great. Few generations later I set up an inheritance of another duchy. The inheriting grandson becomes that duchy's Duke before mine, so his court is set up there and stays there when I die - all still fine. Then I give away the prov in that duchy with the court in it cause I'm over demense limit, and court moves to Malta. Erm. That was the county I gave him when he was still my vassal, so I can see there's a tie there, but come on - Pecs and Palermo would both be so much better choices to rule from. Now a couple generations later, the Kingdom of Hungary+Sicily is ruled from Malta.

Any way to get it moved back someplace good, short of giving Malta away and having it move randomly again?

Is there a quick way to check for possible claims of my dynasty members-vassals? (Once upon a time I accidentally noticed that my cousins/nephews had claims to certain counties I could actually get for them.)

And me thinks that this (or any other quick questions-answers) thread deserves a sticky. :)

If one of your counts/dukes has a claim, you can declare war and get that land for him. As usual, if that enemy count has a liege you will have to attack him, not the count.

Has anyone so far thought of a cheesy build and tech order to get the best military possible? I mean, if someone thought of a "rush" strategy.