• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question: Do skills matter at all in terms of your minor vassals? I mean if the mayor of my city has high stewardship do I get more tax? Or anything at all along those lines? More levies from a high marshal baron? etc.

--------------------
More of an opinion question I guess:

I've been thinking and my thought is this: As a king of a smallish nation it is more beneficial to you if all of your dukes only control one county and the rest of their counties have individual counts. The reverse being true, that if you are large and have many dukes it's better if they each control all or most of their counties.

Reasoning:

If you're smallish, say just you're king and have one duchy and then you've got 2 other dukes, you want to make sure those dukes don't get too powerful. If they control all the counties directly their levy size is greater, as they don't depend on the opinion of their vassal counts. This helps you maintain more power in relation to your vassals so you're better able to handle rebellion or plots against you.

If you're a large kingdom and your personal demesne is strong enough to protect yourself then letting your dukes control all their counties means you can focus raising relationship with just your dukes to get all their levies rather than having to try to get high opinion out of a plethora of counts.

Thoughts? Ideas? Insults?
Stewardship effects the money he receives, which effect the taxes he sends to you.
There are arguments on both sides for weaker dukes vs stronger dukes. A lot depends on how you play and what you are looking for. Weaker dukes allow more stability, but will often come at some sort of cost, either bad relations, or constant infighting.
I tend to go for strong dukes, having them hold all their de jure lands. Part of the reason being that it looks cleaner on the map. Even going strong dukes though, never allow a duke to get multiple duchies.

Do vassals pay taxes or part of your income back to you as their liege? If so where can I see that number, because when I look at the diferent province screens of my vassals it says zero.
Is ther any action I need to take for the vassals to pay?

Sorry if this was already answered, I didn't see it anywhere : How does Sow Discontent work? Does it lower the relations of the targeted liege with its vassals, lower the relations of the targeted lord with its own liege or lower both? Also, do you get a pop-up when the effect works? I have never seen one.

Do vassals pay taxes or part of your income back to you as their liege? If so where can I see that number, because when I look at the diferent province screens of my vassals it says zero.
Is ther any action I need to take for the vassals to pay?

Under your laws theres a bracket that says "Feudal Taxation." By default this is by and large set to "None" at game start. If you want them to pay raise it up. Be warned though, this has a negative affect on your relations with them.

I had a son with the duchess of Toscana, he was going to inherit both toscana and lombardia. Then i married him with the duchess of lower lorraine who had no succesor, they had a son and he was to inherit titles from the duchess; but then my heir changed from my son (the husband of the duchess) to my grandson...

Now my heir is going to inherit my duchy, lombardia, and the duchy of brabant, but the duchy of toscana is still going to my son... What i dont get is why my heir changed from my son to my grandson for no apparent reason. I have primogeniture succession.

Thanks, i appreciate any help. I spent a good chunk of my game planning this... my son would rule both duchies of lombardia and toscana and then my grandson would inherit (after his father died) those two plus the one from his mother... Boy this game makes for some funny conversations.

I had a son with the duchess of Toscana, he was going to inherit both toscana and lombardia. Then i married him with the duchess of lower lorraine who had no succesor, they had a son and he was to inherit titles from the duchess; but then my heir changed from my son (the husband of the duchess) to my grandson...

Now my heir is going to inherit my duchy, lombardia, and the duchy of brabant, but the duchy of toscana is still going to my son... What i dont get is why my heir changed from my son to my grandson for no apparent reason. I have primogeniture succession.

Thanks, i appreciate any help. I spent a good chunk of my game planning this... my son would rule both duchies of lombardia and toscana and then my grandson would inherit (after his father died) those two plus the one from his mother... Boy this game makes for some funny conversations.

Did the Duchess of toscana make your son a bishop? Happened to me. Bishops can't inherit.

IDivide and conquer my friend. You have to assume that you will face a rebellion eventually. You want them to have the least personal power. The problem with building opinion is that it is easily lost with that character's death. Never ever ever let them have 2 dutchies. Always have a solid core demesne that is well upgraded. Remember opinion is fickle, but a personal army is solid. :)

Well that's my point about opinions. If you have every county held by somebody seperate you have to fix all those relationships to get good levies from them. If you have very few counts then you only have a few to repair when you get a new king.

Did the Duchess of toscana make your son a bishop? Happened to me. Bishops can't inherit.

Yes, thanks! the fool didnt realize he stood to inherit two duchies.... i tried something different, i made him a count in my realm so he wont go to the duchess court. Hope that is enough to keep him in line.

Also another question, is it possible for my character to hold cities? or is he only restricted to castles? i ask because i keep getting a "holder of wrong type" in a city..

This might be a REALLY silly question, but what determines who shows up in the arrange marriage list (the one you get when clicking the rings next to your character's portrait)? I want to marry Orthodox, but I only get a list of about ten Catholic women (all of whom hate me!).

Yes, thanks! the fool didnt realize he stood to inherit two duchies.... i tried something different, i made him a count in my realm so he wont go to the duchess court. Hope that is enough to keep him in line.

Also another question, is it possible for my character to hold cities? or is he only restricted to castles? i ask because i keep getting a "holder of wrong type" in a city..

Wrong holder type is -75% to income, and it will apply to every bishopric or city that you hold directly. With cities, you're generally much better off handing them to a mayor. With bishoprics, you run the risk of getting no income at all if the bishop likes the pope or patriarch better than he likes you—bishops pay their taxes to whomever they like better.

If your territory is small, you might be better off holding everything personally, but once your kingdom is large you'll probably want to stick to castles rather than wasting demesne limit on cities or bishoprics.

sudaki said:
This might be a REALLY silly question, but what determines who shows up in the arrange marriage list (the one you get when clicking the rings next to your character's portrait)? I want to marry Orthodox, but I only get a list of about ten Catholic women (all of whom hate me!).

As far as I know, the ring button will show you everyone who would be willing to accept either a marriage or a betrothal. I could be wrong, though. It's definitely not filtered by religion, though—I've seen everything from Cathars to Tengrists on there.

Couple questions.

--Is there a way to assign who leads an army? For example i had a 22 Marshall but didn't see a way to put him with the actual army.

--How do you claim vacant titles. For example one of the HRE duchies (probably several actually) show as being part of the kingdom of italy with the title vacant. Do you just need to conquer x% of italy?

Does everyone else with the steam version have the TKEO checksum after today's patch?

Couple questions.

--Is there a way to assign who leads an army? For example i had a 22 Marshall but didn't see a way to put him with the actual army.

--How do you claim vacant titles. For example one of the HRE duchies (probably several actually) show as being part of the kingdom of italy with the title vacant. Do you just need to conquer x% of italy?

First question, yes, but your Crown Laws need to support it. Click on the army, and you can see the leaders of the three wings. If you're operating under Low Crown Authority or higher, you can click on the name of a leader and replace him.

Second question, yes, you need to have a certain amount of the de jure territory to create it or usurp it from its owner.

Templaric- said:
Does everyone else with the steam version have the TKEO checksum after today's patch?

I did. Deleting and reinstalling the game will give the correct checksum, which I belive is KUMH.

Couple questions.

1)You need sufficient crown laws, low. Assuming you have that click the generals name for each front, and it will give you options.

2)You need 50% of the de jure counties to create or usurp a title.

Couple questions.

You have to have at least limited crown authority in place (either you or the de jure kingdom you're in). Then just click the name of the generals at the top of each flank to change them. One note: If your marshal is assigned in a county to do something (research, suppress rebels, train troops) he will not appear in the list so you have to recall him from that job if you want him to lead troops.

If you own at least half the counties that make up a de jure duchy/kingdom you can either create or usurp the title.

Now my question:

If I marry my daughter to the King of France to get the very valuable alliance will their son show up in about 20 years to crush me?

Answer:
Yes he will.

Conclusion:
Alliance useless.

Anyone know how your capital/court's location is determined, and if there's a way to move it?

Playing as a Hungarian count, I built up to a duke, then invaded Sicily with a holy order and took it all. Court stayed in Pecs where it had started, great. Few generations later I set up an inheritance of another duchy. The inheriting grandson becomes that duchy's Duke before mine, so his court is set up there and stays there when I die - all still fine. Then I give away the prov in that duchy with the court in it cause I'm over demense limit, and court moves to Malta. Erm. That was the county I gave him when he was still my vassal, so I can see there's a tie there, but come on - Pecs and Palermo would both be so much better choices to rule from. Now a couple generations later, the Kingdom of Hungary+Sicily is ruled from Malta.

Any way to get it moved back someplace good, short of giving Malta away and having it move randomly again?

You can move your capital by clicking the little crown symbol in the province screen. This can be done once with every ruler. You can also change you primary title if that would feel better (as Hungary/Sicily must be one of the weirdest constelations ever :D)

Well that's my point about opinions. If you have every county held by somebody seperate you have to fix all those relationships to get good levies from them. If you have very few counts then you only have a few to repair when you get a new king.

What i'm saying is WHEN they do rebel, you want each person who rebels to have a small army. Making them like you is a matter of time(long reign bonus). When you give one person too much power, there is a chance they go complete -100 opinion. Then you are screwed because you have no way of fixing that other than going to war. But wait... you gave him too much power.

Last edited:
What i'm saying is WHEN they do rebel, you want each person who rebels to have a small army. Making them like you is a matter of time(long reign bonus). When you give one person too much power, there is a chance they go complete -100 opinion. Then you are screwed because you have no way of fixing that other than going to war. But wait... you gave him too much power.

I'm not suggesting you give some guy 2 or more duchies worth of counties. I'm suggesting that if you hold 2 bigger (3+ counties) duchies and you've done some castle upgrading then you're probably ok letting your dukes hold their entire duchies so long as it's just one duchy per duke. It's unlikely *all* of your dukes will rise against you at the same time unless you just do something really dumb.