• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The point is that if they expect to use Spain - or Gibraltar, to be more precise - as a safeguard against the Allied invasions in the Med, then it may turn out to be at best a temporary measure with no significant gameplay consequences.

Plus he may be planning to leave Yugoslavia for Germany to pick up for its mp/IC, in which case his free DoW on Spain is simply a more logical use of threat. I suspect that he's going to play Wingman here and play solely to support and build up the strength and power of Germany, so that it is that much harder to deal with, but I could be wrong!

Either that or we'll see a very early Barbarossa instead of that... With Italy playing along, it'd be easier for Germany, even without Romania and the such.

Are there any real advantages to going early against the USSR?

Subscribed.
I'll follow that Italian AAR with interest.

Subscribed as well. I've read almost all your multiplayer AAR's so far and also admire the fast paced fighting on all fronts. Don't let the bigger boys tease you and Good luck to you sir! :)

Can the allies declare war on Italy based on house rules after such an aggressive move?

We have no HR affecting this - so standard rules goes. But as mentioned previously, Italy's threat on UK is still very low. Threat increases VERY slow in FtM in comparison to SF. Don't know if I like that...

Do the allies have mil.access agreements with Belgium and / or the Netherlands?

Yes. They focused and succeeded in that quite fast.

The Spanish move poses a series of threats to the Allies:

- threat of another front in France
- threat to Gibralter
- threat of enhanced convoy war
- threat of enhanced Sealion​

Its sure to keep them busy.

Good summery. I like to threat :)

Subscribed as well. I've read almost all your multiplayer AAR's so far and also admire the fast paced fighting on all fronts. Don't let the bigger boys tease you and Good luck to you sir! :)

Welcome and thanks :)

Post coming shortly

Carnage Al Dente

Chapter IV - Wehrmacht Goes West

Human Players: Germany*2, Italy, Japan, UK, France, Soviet, Canada
Canade instead of Poland

Recap: Germany have struggled with a two front war with Poland on one side and French-Anglo forces on the other. They have already lost heartland in the West. Now it is time to strike back.

1-1.jpg

July 4th, 1939

Surprisingly, Wehrmacht had other priorities than retaking their lost territory. Germany declared war on the Netherland. The war is growing.

2-1.jpg

July 22nd, 1939

As a result of the war on the Netherlands, it was cumbersome to push the Allies back. Instead of attacking all along the front, the Wehrmacht chose a single province and pressed all the way to the West Wall. This made the Allies retreat from some of their strategic positions whithout battle.

Unfortunately, during this mission, a paradroop division was lost due to a bad drop. They landed in the middle of half a British army corps just retreated from the front.

Authors note: Obviously, in FtM, it takes quite a long time between the paradrop order is given until the actual drop takes place. I think it is good logic, so cred to Paradox for that, but we did just don’t know about it and didn’t notice it until it was too late and the Brits had retreated to the selected province. Now we know.

4-1.jpg

August 3rd, 1939

Germany is not waiting with getting more enemies. Even before the Fatherland was retaken and Netherlands was crushed, they declared war on Belgium. The reason was quite simple. With so many allied troops elsewhere, the Axis hoped a German spearhead could take important grounds in Belgium before they managed to fortify.

3-1.jpg

Late July, 1939

Soviet crushed the Finish fighting spirit and acquired some strategic land from them.

5-1.jpg

August 17th, 1939

Not as much was taken from Belgium as hoped before the offensive got stuck. Instead of pushing deeper into Belgium, German forced spread out to the coast and cut the Allied defensive line in two. Almost everything of the lost Fatherland was now retaken.

Canadian troops had now landed in Europe to aid the Allies. It was known they were not to skillful or well equipped, but more than an army corps of men was still a force to reckon with.

6-1.jpg

September 6th, 1939

Steady but slowly, the Wehrmacht cut mainland Belgium in two. Still, the slow pace is worrying. Allies are showing great skill in the air and Germany are starting to lose that battle, their fighters taking severe punishment.

7-1.jpg

Late August, 1939

As the Germans press from the north, Italians and Spaniards threat from the south. Still, both sides refrained from engage in any hostile actions. Il Douche apparently did not see the gain in a declaration of war at this time. The Italian Army Corps in the Pyrenees had quite nice leisure days, as long as they did not have guard duty, in the late summer heat, refreshed by cool mountain winds. On the other side of the border, the mood was probably not as good.

Frozen Wall (Mid June)
How does the French southern garrisons look now? What of Gibraltar? Why are those Italians not landing in Marseilles/Toulon to link up the Italian/Spanish fronts and sealing the western Med? Or are you planning some other excursions before you tangle with the Allies?

Leviathan7 (Mid June)
He's not at war with the Allies. I assume it's because CptEasy wants to extract his navy and (most of) army from Spain first, and get them into good positions to attack the Allies? I.e. line some infantry and artillery up against Gibraltar, and put the fleet into positions where it can hurt the French and British med fleet the most...

Authors note: I have no picture from Gibraltar right now, but the Brits have a couple of motorized divisions there. Here, I am lining up against the French front together with the Spaniards. It is not a truly threatening force, but too big to be ignored. And now I have bases in the Atlantic…

8-1.jpg

Late August, 1939

Japan Annexed Xibei San Ma. Their long war was over and Japan finally had peace. Let’s see how long that will last…

France does have it's hands full, it shouldn't take too long before France falls. If things go well enough, you don't need to declare war on the Allies just yet, though your laws would be better... still, it'd give you more time to strike...

Which reminds me... you said you have ports in the Atlantic... which would mean that you could threaten the British Isles themselves. Though your fleet is much smaller, the German navy is there, too and landings could be possible. Risky but possible. Once France is defeated, the Italians don't need to be stationed in Spain anyway ;-)

The pace of advance is slow, but it's still 1939, so no pressure. However, the masses of Allied troops look menacing. It looks like they brought EVERYTHING there and will try to bleed you.

BTW are you at war with the Allies?

He's still bringing forces from Poland to the west, the pressure on the Allies will increase soon. Besides, he's regaining control of the lost ground in Germany, so things will improve there, too.

Plus, with so many Allied forces in France, Italy does have lots of places to strike at. Egypt, Malta, Gibraltar, even the British Isles. Or how about amphibious landings in north-west France, to cut off and destroy the Allied forces?

Remember that until France is defeated, the Allies have the French Navy at their disposal, too. This makes the Axis job very hard.

Oh, and the British can easily bring forces from India to Africa in order to guard Suez.

Remember that until France is defeated, the Allies have the French Navy at their disposal, too. This makes the Axis job very hard.

The French doctrines aren't really any better than the Italians, so they could be able to land troops with minimal damage to their fleet. Furthermore, the Italians aren't at war yet. Even positioning Italian ships around France or Britain would have to be adressed by the Allies ;-)

Oh, and the British can easily bring forces from India to Africa in order to guard Suez.

I suspect that these forces are in France already, but even if they aren't, the forces in India etc aren't really numerous so the Italians could overwhelm them. Remember that Italy can choose where and when it intervenes. Threat and deception are as important as arms in war ;-)

If it was so easy, then we would usually see extremely powerful Italy in MP games, while it seems that the opposite of that is true.

Italy cannot really afford to lose many ships while battling the French if it hopes to defend its mainland in 1940 or expand its influence in the Med.