• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good move, I like it. But, at least for me, it was a bit obvious. It will secure the Med pretty well, but indeed can Spain be a double-edged sword. Lots of Coasts to invade but on the other hand good defensive terrain.
Hopefully the roush of the allies through the Maginot-line is not an all-out attack with the possible loss of most of the british forces. Because, if that happens the game could end rather quickly. A thing i definitely don't want to happen :)

Well, good luck to all players and I am looking forward for the next update.

Cheers and a happy new year

Hey Folks! Interesting coments as usual. I find it difficult to answer them at this point as I will have to expose to much of my plans to answer in the depth you deserve. I have saved some of the most precise questions/coments and been answering them on a word doc :). I will post it when I feel it wont hurt me to much. Hope you can appreciate that.

Hi. I'm the Player of France in this game. To let the audience know of our plans would be spoiling a bit of the suspence wouldn't it? But I'll try not to be too specific and then you'll let me know if you fell I'm spilling too much information.

The focus of France has of course been defensive build and research. To actually survive as France in a mutliplayer game is close to impossible, so I'm not getting any illusions here. But then again you never know whats in store for you. As things turned out in "Wildfires" (CtpEasy's first published AAR) they never turned Vichy.

I found out pretty quick that the new mechanics in FtML prevented all healthy production laws for France in peace time. I was stuck with a lousy effective IC and between upgrades, consumer goods and supply, production was close to none. I started production on a few AT brigades early on.

In research focus was on infantery, but some efforts was put into AT. As you can almost see in our early German offesive, I had neglected the operational doctrine tech. Not my best call.

Our push into Germany during their Polen campaign was meant as part distraction and part disruption to the German war industry. After all, there is some leadership, industry and even manpower to target. Although I'm happy about the progress so far we would have done a lot better if Germany didn't have two players at this time. The preassure you can put on a single player Germany at this stage is huge (proved most previous AAR's).

I find it difficult to answer them at this point as I will have to expose to much of my plans to answer in the depth you deserve. I have saved some of the most precise questions/coments and been answering them on a word doc :). I will post it when I feel it wont hurt me to much. Hope you can appreciate that.

Captain, perhaps you are writing this AAR too close to the actual action? May I suggest you let it rest a bit so that you can keep up a dialog with your fans?

Just a quick question : I never played a multiplayer game so how does it works to have two player playing the same country at the same time ? Have they both access to everything in the country and they just discuss their respective jobs ?

By the way i'll follow this AAR just like your previous one ^^

Last game we saw a successful Russian fighting retreat blunt Axis plans to gang up on him for a quick win - I wonder if they have this time decided to target Britain. With the western Med closed, the British player will have trouble resisting a determined drive at Egypt, especially if the Japanese player targets India and British possessions in the Pacific at the same time. The usual Japanese strategy of overrunning Siberia seemed to stall out quite quickly last game - why not use those troops to better effect against the Brit? By the time the Russians are ready to join the fray, they will have an isolated Britain, deprived of Gibraltar and either India or Suez, perhaps both. Long extended supply lines will be easy prey for German subs.

And I'm not entirely sure I understand threat levels, but if the Russians initiate the war to relieve their British ally, won't that delay the US entry? Not a lot of good options for the Allies if the British can be put under severe duress early.

Exciting game!

Last edited:
Just a quick question : I never played a multiplayer game so how does it works to have two player playing the same country at the same time ? Have they both access to everything in the country and they just discuss their respective jobs ?

By the way i'll follow this AAR just like your previous one ^^

Yes, so they split tasks. One is responsible for research, other for diplomacy, one for East front, other for West front and airplanes, etc.
Only bug that exists in 2 people dealing with 1 country is bug with fleet management. You have to pause when merging fleets, or ships go missing.

Captain, perhaps you are writing this AAR too close to the actual action? May I suggest you let it rest a bit so that you can keep up a dialog with your fans?

Arent Cpt about a year ahead as usual?

Yes, we are. It's just that to answer some of your questions about strategy properly (Why Spain and not Yugo etc) I need to go pretty far in Axis all over strategy - which is too early - as it most definately effect where we are in the game now (summer of 1940) related to next actions, production focus etc. It is not too early, however, to show you small glimmers behind the scenes. And I grow bored if my posting is too delayed. And I grow even more bored once the outcome of the game is determinned and I have like two years of posting ahead of me. I hope our dear reader will instead be quite pleased when their coments later pops up in the AAR with a "yes - your were right"... or perhaps the opposite ;)

Yes, so they split tasks. One is responsible for research, other for diplomacy, one for East front, other for West front and airplanes, etc.
Only bug that exists in 2 people dealing with 1 country is bug with fleet management. You have to pause when merging fleets, or ships go missing.

Ups. Didn't know that. Wont that cause out of sync?

Yes, we are. It's just that to answer some of your questions about strategy properly (Why Spain and not Yugo etc) I need to go pretty far in Axis all over strategy - which is too early - as it most definately effect where we are in the game now (summer of 1940) related to next actions, production focus etc. It is not too early, however, to show you small glimmers behind the scenes. And I grow bored if my posting is too delayed. And I grow even more bored once the outcome of the game is determinned and I have like two years of posting ahead of me. I hope our dear reader will instead be quite pleased when their coments later pops up in the AAR with a "yes - your were right"... or perhaps the opposite ;)

I agree with this, keep it going CptEasy. :D

Your 'Spanish Gambit' is an interesting move. On the offensive again and causing chaos a usual. :)

I see it as either:

a) an enhanced version of the Convoy War - secure Gibralter and use the Italian fleet in the Atlantic;
b) subjecting France to a two (or three) front war; or
c) a dual (Axis) Operation Sea Lion. Italy attacks the west coast of England while Germancy attacks the eastern shore (Operation Pride).

Closing Gibraltar really makes sense but would require access through vichy or enough naval power to securely be able to pull out of or reinforce Spain. Perhaps an early sea lion is on the menu since Cpteasy must know Britain's weakest points from previous games. Recall when the combined axis fleets (ita, ger, jap) defeated Cpteasy in a previous game? Perhaps the objective is not the closing of the med, but the linking up of two axis fleets.

Well closing gibraltar or suez will greatly enhance the sub's impact, considering all convoys from and to Asia then need to go around the Cape.. and from there up past spanish colonial possesions in Africa..

Spain certainly makes things harder for France. Even if Italy doesn't fight the Allies immediately, it'll force the French to have forces on yet another front. In itself, this already helps out Germany as France will either have to have 2-3 corps down there or will have to risk the Italians crush them from behind... British intervention might come to Spain, but unless they manage to annihalate the Italian forces quickly, it'll still be an advantage for the Axis. Plus the British can't wait until the Italian DoW before comitting the BEF.
However, Italy might easily face more substantial forces in Egypt and Germany surely needs to keep its navy, especially the surface fleet, safe in the Baltic. Harassment operations could easily be beaten back with overwhelming force.

Ups. Didn't know that. Wont that cause out of sync?

Usually no out of sync. As example, merging 2 fleets of 5 ships each, result *sometimes* is 9 ships. Usually big ones disappear - CV, BB.
So when doing such split/merge of fleets we are always pausing, as editing savegame later is really annoying.
No problem with air and land, only naval assets.

Can none of the Allies DOW you? The Brits and French combined can control the western med and make it impossible for you to evacuate Spain. They would be much better off completely destroying you in Spain rather than just distracting Germany during it's inevitable victory in the Polish campaign.

I agree with this, keep it going CptEasy. :D

Good :)

Usually no out of sync. As example, merging 2 fleets of 5 ships each, result *sometimes* is 9 ships. Usually big ones disappear - CV, BB.
So when doing such split/merge of fleets we are always pausing, as editing savegame later is really annoying.
No problem with air and land, only naval assets.

Ok. Will keep an eye on that. Thanks.

Can none of the Allies DOW you? The Brits and French combined can control the western med and make it impossible for you to evacuate Spain. They would be much better off completely destroying you in Spain rather than just distracting Germany during it's inevitable victory in the Polish campaign.

My threat on them is too low for that, I think.

New chapter coming shortly

Carnage Al Dente

Chapter III - Plenty of Ingredients for a Rich Carnage Pasta Sause

Human Players: Germany*2, Italy, Japan, UK, France, Poland, Soviet

Recap: There are lots of war going in. Germany is war with Allies with Poland on one side and France and UK on the other. Italy is attacking Spain and the Japs are fighting the Chinese.

12.jpg

May 22nd, 1939

About three weeks after the Italian declaration of war on Spain, and the Italian attacking army is fully deployed. During this time, the Italian transport detachment has shipped 5 army groups with a corresponding HQ hierarchy across the Western Mediterranean and been into one naval combat which resulted in one (empty) transport lost. Of the three attack-points, two have secured big harbors. The middle, which is the crucial one aiming for Madrid, is the weak spot. The harbor is fairly small and need to support armor and motorized units. Still, it is not likely to be a very long campaign.

13.jpg

June 2nd, 1939

Still, the Spanish defense was clearly overwhelmed. It took less than two weeks to reach the outskirts of Madrid. The only resistance was some weak thrusts by remnants of Italian Expeditionary Forces from the Spanish civil war. The Spanish officers controlling the divisions had obviously managed to deceive the soldiers of who the enemy really was. Nevertheless, their counter attacks were futile. The spearhead of the Italian attack-force could brush off the attack with few losses out in the open land.
Authors note: I forgot to try and retrieve those exp forces before the war and it was apparently not possible in the middle of the fight. Well well. More training for the troops :)

14.jpg

June 4th-6th, 1939

Roughly one month after the declaration of war on Spain and Poland, these tiny nations succumbed. For Italy, the war was over for the time being while Germany turned against France and United Kingdom.

In reality, the battles in Spain had been few and short, and only once had they met any real resistance. It meant that most soldiers had had very brief and fairly harmless experiences of war in summer-Spain. It did not stop all these happy and un-injured troopers to have at least one story each about their own heroism. Half of Spain would be killed fearsome soldiers if all the stories were true. Still, it served Il Douche well as these glorifying tales of war made the average Italian citizen dream of more victories and long lost greatness.

Authors note: Polish player now switch over to Canada

16.jpg

June 3rd-10th, 1939

Finland was attacked by the Big Bear the 3rd and about a week later, the Baltic States caved in to Soviet pressure – not very eager to go the Finish hardball-way.

17.jpg

June 11th, 1939

With Nationalist China defeated (now puppets), only one of her Allies remained. Obviously, it was only a matter of time until Japan would finally win.

18.jpg

June 15th, 1939

With Poland defeated, Germany is quickly shifting front, sending everything against France to retake the lost parts of the Fatherland. The frog-eaters and tea-drinkers would soon pay the blood price for their insolence. Still, the Allies had positioned themselves skillfully and it might prove difficult to dislodge them.

19.jpg

June 30th, 1939

In Italy, however, things were peaceful. Some of the victorious troops from the campaign in Spain were sent home where they were received as heroes. A lot of Italian civil servants were sent the other way to take up key positions in the new Spanish regime, filled with handpicked men of “high quality” to help the poor Spaniards who had been so mistreated under Franco’s rule.

How does the French southern garrisons look now? What of Gibraltar? Why are those Italians not landing in Marseilles/Toulon to link up the Italian/Spanish fronts and sealing the western Med? Or are you planning some other excursions before you tangle with the Allies?