• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry, just to clear up a misunderstanding (and so we can get back to discussing Tver) - there ARE female rulers in Russia's files, but not in Tver's unedited DW 5.1 files. There is nothing exceptional about having a female ruler in Russia at all. The only reason why I brought up this fact is because I thought Svetoslav was an interesting name, and I happened to be looking through the ruler name files recently.

Now let's get back on topic =)

Nice work with Krakow. It almost makes up for the disappointment of Kholmsky not seizing the throne. :p
Hopefully Aleksandr can clear up all these wars quickly and improve Tver's international reputation before going and sullying it again with perfectly legitimate conquests.

Wow, that heir is definitely worth waiting for.

Too many Szeleszpanskis, need to rationalise them to reduce redundancy.

I'm confused.. who got Kholmsky? Or is it supposed to be a mystery?

It's supposed to be a mystery :)

I wonder if a certain advisor took a pair of keepsakes when he left . . .

Also, that armor is very shiny, but the monocle makes the man. That and his complete lack of diplomatic and military ability.

What keepsakes? And yes, the monocle is an integral part of who Aleksandr is. Without it, they say, he would melt into a pool of jelly.

Alexandr looks especially grandiose thanks to the new shading (and the monocle!). Tablet MoTvernisation = Military MoTvernisation, hopefully? The game has made you wait far too long for that. That number of Danes should not be able to defeat a greater and more illustverious number of Tverians. Just take care to build up to your forcelimits before pressing the button, as the AI has a habit of insta-declaring war on anyone with red infamy and -3 stability.

Also, Svyatoslav is an interesting name. According to the game files, it's the most uncommon ruer name in Tver - but so is Konstantin. And Tver apparently has no women rulers. So either the file is just being silly or you changed it to make it more interesting =)

And the thing about the stab hit - it's just the game's way of noting whether your leader died 'naturally', or that your evil plan to kill him off succeeded - so in Konni's case it must have been the fat that got to him. It's one of the few times I'd be happy to receive a stabhit - though of course, there are no 'natural' deaths in Tver, only Natveral Selection!

1) Not yet. I want to do Military Modernisation to get my Stab costs down, but my slider are in the wrong places. Perfect scenario would be if I get one of the advisor events just as it becomes available, meaning I'd only lose 3 stab rather than 5.
2) Indeed, it's an uncommon one. And yes, I modded the name files to add more variety. Changed a few likelihoods (made Konstantin more likely as it's a name I really like), and added in three, low-likelihood female names. Fyregecko's cheating again, the bastard! ;)
3) Precisely!

@ Hughrocks123 and ATBKING: See above re: ruler names :) (and thanks for reading commenting)

Nice work with Krakow. It almost makes up for the disappointment of Kholmsky not seizing the throne. :p
Hopefully Aleksandr can clear up all these wars quickly and improve Tver's international reputation before going and sullying it again with perfectly legitimate conquests.

Ah, Kholmsky. I had high hopes for the man. Sheleshpansky checking him out was me checking him out – if he'd been a barnstorming general I might have given him a shot at taking over (hence why I only sent a small army after him).

In that shape sir, Alex has more than a passing resemblance to a certain Scot_pole. You do seem to have ana over abundance of Shelepanskys.

I'm just not very imaginative with haircuts :(

Wow, that heir is definitely worth waiting for.

Too many Szeleszpanskis, need to rationalise them to reduce redundancy.

Aye, I'm thinking of doing more name file modding to reduce the amount of sh I have to type. I like having a few of the same name, actually, as it means that I can represent the inherent nepotism of court appointment, but the name does crop up a lot...

This is one of the greatest AAR i have ever read!

Thanks pal :)

Episode LVI: BeauTver and the Beast
Imperial Palace, City of Tver, 1635

Mountains of paper role majestically above the desk of Czar Aleksandr V, Emperor of Tver and All The Russias, King of Poland (disputed) and Archduke of Prussia. The fine mahogany table protested under the weight like a horse that has had a rhinoceros loaded onto its back.

The Czar, tall, lean, blonde and monocled, was in his element.

'Paper, Mikulski! The foundations of empire, the backbone of administration! Hem. Without paper, an empire is nothing! Just talk and thoughts, twisting in the wind, rattling in the skulls of politicians!'

Captain Mikulski, temporary Captain of the Guard, veteran of the Bohemian Wars and Chief Spymaster, did not share his liege lord's enthusiasm – in fact, he had never been to Liege. Though it sounded like a place of high standards.

'I'm sure you're right, sir.'

'I am, Mikulski! Ah, the workings of the Empire of Tver, laid before me like painting of the heavens. These bills and statistics are clearer to me than any map. Hem. Through them, I see my realm, every detail, every nook and cranny.' He sighed. 'Well, that's not what we're here for though, is it?'

'No, sir. Recruitment! Of a new Captain of the Guard, Chief Advisor, et cetera.'

'Well, I've been looking at these applications all morning. Nothing standing out. No candidates that grab me by the throat and say “ give me this job”.'

'Lucky, as I would be duty bound to relieve them of their noggin.'

'Metaphorically, Mikulski, metaphorically. Ah, would be so easy if we had another Dobczyński. Keep it in the family! Hem. Makes succession so easy.'

'Afraid not, sir. He doesn't have any children. Well. Not married anyway. Married to Tver, Mirin was.'

'Admirable dedication, but it has rather buggered the matter of his replacement! And I must debugger it!'

'De-bug for short?'

'Shorthand, Mikulski? I like it. Efficient. Well, we can return to it later. How are the markets?'

'The rouble is up three points against the florin, sir, and seven against the goat.'

'Splendid.'

'Even better, productivity in Kursk is at an all-time high.'

'But we withdrew the magistrate from Kursk three months ago.'

'I suspect that may have been a factor, sir.'

'Well then, time to harvest those lovely taxes! And file them. Record them. Hem. Safeguard them! Benignly, of course.'

01benignneglectkursk_zpsff7ae3e9.png

'So! My coffers are replenished. Time for battle!'

'Battle?'

'Well, there are Danes in Podlasie.'

'We should take stock of the situation.'

'Indeed.'

'Białystok, to be exact.'

'March forth! We shall drive them from our territories!'

'Don't you want to delegate to a more military-minded person? Like, you know, me?'

'I must see it for myself, Mikulski! I will direct this operation personally! Hem. Now! Sword! Armour! Profit!'

02AVattacksPodlasie_zpsbe289b89.png

The renewed offensive against Denmark swiftly bore fruit. Fresh troops were deployed to the north-western front, and the results were impressive. Tverian forces advanced quickly through Denmark's Finnish provinces, driving the enemy before them. Between them, Mikulski and General Sheleshpansky were pushing the Danish threat back from the Empire's heartland.

03kareliataken_zpsb266aaa5.png

Czar Aleksandr leaned back in his chair and smiled a contented smile.

'The Danes will soon be in full retreat, Mikulski. We will sweep them out of our provinces, maybe take some money for the trouble, then we...Mikulski?'

Mikulski's face was not that of a happy man. He handed over the document in his hand.

04BOHDoW_zps2eff6f95.png

'Bad. Bad, bad, bad. Are we certain that this isn't just another membership application?'

'Much as I like strong members, sir, I doubt it. They think that they can beat us while we're distracted by the Danes.'

'And retake Poland. They can't have it, Mikulski! This is war! Hem. Time for business. Serious business!'

'Very serious, sir.

'Our enemies are advancing.'

05enemiesanalysis_zpsd7754ea3.png

'I have advice, sir, but I don't think you'll like it.'

'Hit me.'

'Now? Didn't know you were into that kind of thing.'

'I mean [i]advise me[/i].'

'Oh. You might have to pay off Denmark.'

'But we are winning.'

'But we need to withdraw our forces from the north-west to face Bohemia. Denmark won't accept a white peace, and marching on their heartlands would take months. We don't have that when Bohemia is advancing fifty thousand troops – plus assorted allies – on gentle Tver, armed with pointy implements and wicked thoughts.'

'And if we focus on Bohemia...'

'The Danes aren't so far from Tver either, sir.'

'I see. Oh, very well. It dents my pride, but better my pride than my city.'

[img]http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa398/kszmullins/0625ducforDANpax_zps6c90323b.png

The Danes placated, the armies of Tver were able to focus on their western enemy once more.Studying the tactics used in the last conflict with the Czechs, Aleksandr assembled his forces and marched in the direction of Silesia, intending to use the Empire's previously negotiated military access to launch an attack on Bohemia's home province. If Prague could be taken before the Bohemians made any headway in Tver's provinces, this war could be over very quickly: and Tver had nothing to gain from a protracted conflict.

07AVarmatyforprague_zps6c222669.png

En route, however, the Czar was brought very surprising news.

'Sir...what's your opinion on Latvia?'

'Lovely, I hear. Not profitable, I hear, though Riga itself is fairly rich and we have a strong claim on the city. Hem. For future expansion. Why?'

'You might get a chance sooner than you think.'

08RIGapplymembership_zps862ce5e1.png

'What the devil are they playing at, Mikulski?'

'No idea, sir. No allies, a small army. Maybe this one is an application for membership.'

'Well. Can we spare the troops?'

'Riga is only a short detour on the route from Denmark's Finnish provinces to Bohemia, sir. Our troops are going that way anyway.'

'Then so be it! We have a claim on them anyway. Why wait? Our reputation will worsen, but it is time for decisive action? Besides, they attacked us...'

09advanceonRIG_zps4c619a13.png

The attack on Bohemia did not go as planned, however. While a large enemy force had made their way into Tverian territory, another had remained behind in reserve, larger and more powerful than the Czar's personal army. Reluctantly – 'inefficiently', as the man himself put it – the Imperial army retreated.

10AVretreats_zpsc0d80d66.png

11annexrig_zps1865a449.png

The acquisition of Riga, far from sending a fearsome warning to the other nations of the Baltic coast, was taken by another old enemy as the signal to attack. The Hochmeister sidelines by illness, Kapellmeister Wilhelm E. Kojot followed the ex-Duke of Riga's lead and declared a state of war between the Teutonic Order and the Empire of Tver.

12TODoW_zpsac5a4c4a.png

Twenty-three thousand Tverian soldiers, fresh from conquering Riga, took the opportunity for aBaltic holiday. The annexation of Riga had further dented Tver's reputation, though, and as much as the Czar would have liked to annex the Order and give their last province to the Duchy of Prussia, he decided it more prudent to settle for renunciation of claims and cancellation of the Order's alliances.

13PaxTOrenouncePrussia_zps65d4a0a8.png

Meanwhile, with Bohemia laying siege to Kraków, the route towards the enemy's capital was open once again.

'A rapid thrust, Mikulski! Deep and hearty!'

'Nothing I like better than...no, that's not my line...'

'The road to Prague, Mikulski! A chance for you to return! See the sights! And lay siege to their fortifications while you're at it.'

14mikanddobattackPraga_zpse99e28c0.png

The siege of Prague did not last long. With no enemy forces within a hundred kilometres, Mikulski's (or Mikulinsky as he was known to the Russian troops under his command) army assaulted the walls and swiftly captured the city. Their armies busy attacking Tver's western provinces, the capital of Bohemia had once again fallen into the Empire's hands.

15praganasza_zps07112411.png

The king of Bohemia surrendered to Czar Aleksandr in exchange for reparations, cessation of Bohemian claims to Tver's Polish provinces, and the annulment of alliances and vassalisations. While still strong, the Bohemian threat to the Empire had once more been averted. Finally, after years of warfare, Tver was once again at peace.

16BOHpaxcashclaimsdevassUKR_zps097c5d4b.png

The Czar cracked open a bottle of the finest Italian wine, and clinked glasses with Mikulski.

'A fine victory, Mikulski, and more territory gained!'

'Yes sir. Time for some quiet years, I think. Recover the Empire's reputation.'

'Diplomat Sheleshpansky has his hands full.'

'Too many Sheleshpanskies in this country.'

'You can't have too many Sheleshpanskies! Ancient protectors of Tver, a family of honest servants! But it can be confusing. I may start renaming them. Improve efficiency, reduce confusion.'

'I'm sure you're right, sir.'

'Well, a few more applications then. Paperwork never hurt anyone.'

'Apart from that anaemic clerk in the tax office.'

'Ah...what happened to him?'

'Paper cut. Bled to death.'

'Heavens.' Czar Aleksandr sighed. Look at this! A group of metalworkers from Kharkov, applying to be my chief advisors!'

'The common touch can be handy, but...maybe not them. Well, if not the smiths, what about this charming man?'

'Consul Davidov? A mediocre diplomat, nothing special. Not what I need'. A pause. The Czar looked, as often, deep in thought.

'Mikulski. We've been looking for a new chief advisor for months now.'

'Yes, sir.'

'Well. What about you?'

Mikuslki was startled.

'Me, sir?'

'You've done well. You're capable. Competent. I need more men like you in my administration.'

'I...no, sir. It's not my place. I'm a soldier, and a spy. A good one, I think. But Chief Advisor? I wouldn't...'

Mikulski stopped for a moment. Then he smiled.

'Besides. I think the problem just sorted itself.'

'How?'

'Turn around, sir.'

18dobrywieczor_zps196dc8d9.png

'Can I help you?'

'It's about the chief advisor's position, sir.'

'Is there another candidate?'

'Yes, sir.'

'Where are they?'

The newcomer smiled. 'You're looking at them, sir.'

'You can't be.'

'I can. And am.'

'It's...no, no, no. Can't be done. Impossible.'

Mikulski smiled. 'Why, sir?'

'I wanted a...'

'You wanted someone from a family you could trust.' He nodded to the newcomer. 'How is your uncle?'

'Very well, Captain Mikulski. He sends his regards.'

'So.' The Czar sighed, and shook his head. 'Another Dobczyński, then?'

'Dobczyńska, sir.' The newcomer grinned broadly, the blue eyes of her family sparkling in the sunlight.

MHDobczynska_zpsaf2c5c38.png

'Marta Hallie Dobczyńska, at your service.'

17nowytwer-1_zps4dcdf77d.png

Last edited:
Great update, shame about the Danes, but I'm sure you'll beat them in the next war.
As to the new member of the Dobczyński clan, well... she sure looks, erm.. capable.

Lovely lady :) Looking forward to what she has inherited from her uncle

It's a shame that the Danes technically won that last war but it was worth it to help hold the Bohemians off. When I saw the penultimate picture I assumed that the new Dobczyński would be a man of alternative interests. Hopefully she can live up to her predecessors' reputations.

Dobczyńska

I see what you mean when, in your article in the AARlander (an excellently 'illustrative' article, indeed!), you said you liked idealised male and female figures. And please do pardon my anime-style nosebleed. =)

I do look forward to how she will differ from her macho, swordfighting, Scottish and Polish curseword-spewing ancestors. And I can't help wondering from where, or how, the next Dobczynski will come about. My preferences tend to lie along the lines of calm, cool, intelligent, but inherently flawed male characters, like Aleksandr V, so I do hope he doesn't let her have her wicked way with him. Well, not too wicked of a way, at least =)

On a more serious note, you might wish to be more careful with being Dishonourable Scum, as even 'friendly' AI countries will happily insult/cancel treaties until relations are poor enough to attack you without a stabhit. And annexing yet more territory really isn't going to help. I'm actually rather worried about that big white blob along Tver's southern borders - unless, of course, you are in fact hankering for a showdown with them. Good luck!

What I had been insinuating (which is hard to do in text, especially as it lacks winks and nudges) was that our old friend Dobczynski was wearing his lost love's spike heeled shoes. However, this is a pretty problem to have. Time to introduce some equality into Tver.

Thanks for the views and replies all :)

Great update, shame about the Danes, but I'm sure you'll beat them in the next war.
As to the new member of the Dobczyński clan, well... she sure looks, erm.. capable.

I keep fighting their allies! Although they do have one province that I want: Karelia, which Novgorod lost hundreds of years ago and I'm really worried will stop being Russian culture at some point.Keep hoping I'll get the Save The Russian People mission for it.

And yes, she is very capable indeed :D

Lovely lady :) Looking forward to what she has inherited from her uncle

The usual Dobczyński things – common sense, the benefit of ahistorical hindsight and a taste for cheap innuendo.

She's slightly different from Mirin in that she's less academic – she's very well educated, but didn't have the top-class religious schooling that he had – but perhaps a bit more practical.

Standards should be kept up. People get sad when they are flown at half mast.

A mighty standard at half-mast is the saddest of sights. It satisfies nobody.

(don't know if any countries outwith Scotland – or indeed places outwith the west of Scotland, it may be a western thing – have an equivalent of 'yer cats are deid' – when someone's trousers are too short, you say this to suggest that their cat has died and their trousers are being flown at half mast as a result)

A female Dobczynski? Bad news for fans of bad double entendres. :sad:

Don't worry, it'll just be different double entendres – and, I hope, of an equal quality (ie, dire). Fear not, homoeroticism will return at some point, I just wanted to try some more feminine innuendo in the name of equality...

Nice move in beating the Bohemians off, now for some time for Tver to become more "efficient"

That's the plan! I enjoy developing a country's infrastructure so much that I often think I'm playing the wrong game.

It's a shame that the Danes technically won that last war but it was worth it to help hold the Bohemians off. When I saw the penultimate picture I assumed that the new Dobczyński would be a man of alternative interests. Hopefully she can live up to her predecessors' reputations.

Disappointing but, as you say, I thought it was a worthy sacrifice. Besides, I got the cash and Prestige back from Bohemia :) I need to build a navy if I'm going to be fighting the Danes a lot in the future, but I actually have a very low Naval limit since I don't have many coastal provinces.

And that's an interesting idea for a future character...*notes down*

ah, dobbie has left a long term gift for Tver ... Uncle (?) Dobczynski indeed

do like the interpretation, dow=membership application, now that is the mark of a growing Empire

Uncle, indeed. And yes, a bit of a morningSIDErism there...

I see what you mean when, in your article in the AARlander (an excellently 'illustrative' article, indeed!), you said you liked idealised male and female figures. And please do pardon my anime-style nosebleed. =)

I do look forward to how she will differ from her macho, swordfighting, Scottish and Polish curseword-spewing ancestors. And I can't help wondering from where, or how, the next Dobczynski will come about. My preferences tend to lie along the lines of calm, cool, intelligent, but inherently flawed male characters, like Aleksandr V, so I do hope he doesn't let her have her wicked way with him. Well, not too wicked of a way, at least =)

On a more serious note, you might wish to be more careful with being Dishonourable Scum, as even 'friendly' AI countries will happily insult/cancel treaties until relations are poor enough to attack you without a stabhit. And annexing yet more territory really isn't going to help. I'm actually rather worried about that big white blob along Tver's southern borders - unless, of course, you are in fact hankering for a showdown with them. Good luck!

As you well know, I do have a weakness for such men and women :) And the nosebleed is fine as long as it doesn't get on the Mods' new white carpet – that may lead to bannage.

She has her similarities to Mirin and the previous Dobczyńskies. She's Polish of Scottish descent rather than the other way around, but has plenty of Scottish characteristics as well. And she likes swords. And also favours waterfowl-related profanity. And as for Aleksandr V and her, it could be good fun: he's a great administrator, but a bit awkward and nervous, while she's...well, a Dobczyński :D

And yes, the next little while is focused on internal improvement and waiting for our infamy to reduce. Unfortunately, Aleksandr isn't much of a Diplomat so I'm relaying mainly on a Great Man to do that bit for me. And no, I definitely don't want to fight that thing, at least not for a long time – I'm completely outmatched in military terms.

What I had been insinuating (which is hard to do in text, especially as it lacks winks and nudges) was that our old friend Dobczynski was wearing his lost love's spike heeled shoes. However, this is a pretty problem to have. Time to introduce some equality into Tver.

Aah, got you. Well, as I said to SirkTheMonkey, it's given me ideas for future characters. The eighteenth century should be fun :D (assuming I last that long)

However, I hope that you'll like her – as you say, I thought it was about time to have a girl in the lead role. Nothing better than a...hem.

I doubt Marta Hallie is in any way equal, she'll be convinced of her superiority. Well dealt with by Tver over Bohemia. The Danes will try again, and Tver can pick them off.

Overall I'd say equal, she's a bit different from Mirin Janusz, but of overall equal competence (or comparable, at least – she's younger than he was when he took the post. I'm sure she'll grow in to it). And yes, the Danes are becoming more and more of a pain, as mentioned above with their annoying alliances. But we'll see how it goes with them.

@ All: A couple of general screenshots (I need to do an economy and stats update at some stage as well).

Austria still going mental in the Middle East:

FUNAustriaOttomans_zpsf7864cd0.png

Bohemia have recovered: they actually won the Wars of Opportunity launched by their neighbours, and annexed several of them.

FUNBOHannexHUN_zps71ff0ff2.png

And the Far East. Could be some interesting future opponents. I got warned by Khorasan during the upcoming update as well.

FUNfareast_zpsf4074cc2.png

Last edited: