• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Folks, prepare yourself for another monologue by yours truly!

Last time, I promised to talk about Crusader Pandas, but that would be silly, so I won't. Instead, I'll inform you about the workings of the Council. Just like in Crusader Kings, the Council consists of five characters who serve as your advisers; the Chancellor, Steward, Marshal, Spymaster and Lord Spiritual. Their primary attribute is added to your own for purposes of government. (E.g. the Diplomacy skill is the primary attribute of the Chancellor.) To make it more balanced, characters now have an additional attribute called Learning, which is the primary attribute of the Lord Spiritual. Also unlike Crusader Kings, you can appoint your direct landed vassals to your council, not just your courtiers. Women can normally not serve as councillors, although the spouse and mother of the ruler can be Spymaster.

The main new Council related feature in Crusader Kings II, however, is the ability to send your councillors on various jobs (three per councillor) out in the counties. Many of these jobs are very powerful if used correctly. The chance of a good outcome is dependent on their skill. To give some examples:

Head Local Inquisition (Lord Spiritual):
The Lord Spiritual converts a province or local character to his religion.

Train Troops (Marshal):
The levies replenish faster and can grow beyond their normal max size.

Fabricate Claims (Chancellor):
Chance that you get a claim on a local title.

Oversee Construction (Steward):
The build time of improvements and new holdings is much reduced.

Study Technology (Spymaster):
Chance that a tech level spreads to your capital.

CrusaderKings2_Devdiary_2011-11-10_01.png

CrusaderKings2_Devdiary_2011-11-10_02.png

Ponder this until the next dev diary. :)

And, then, what do they need ? And what is the figure on the right for Lord Spiritual ? For Chancellor is diplomacy, for Marshall military, Steward stewardship, Spymaster intrigue... and Lord Spiritual ?
Learning. As mentioned in the DD.

If you add new council positions, a scroll bar will appear, but it will probably require some interface mod work to make it look good.

Thoughtful! :happy:

Could it be possible to have the possitions be elected? that could work well if someone wanted to make a republic mod.

Personally I'd love to have inheritable council positions (and honorary titles).

So if you are a councilor in your liege's council, do you play as if your character is stuck in his court? Like, can't lead armies of your own unless actually sent by your liege or by pissing him off?

2 weeks waiting for a diary mentioning nothing we haven't already heard? Come on Paradox, please do crusades and/or mongols next time, as these themes have been mentioned very little so far. But still the game looks fantastic, this however seemed like a quick one to fill the empty space.

Well, it mentioned that there's a new stat, but you're right I think that's pretty much all.

Still though CK2 looks awesome and I'll look forward to getting it ASAP, I'm sure I'll get to see all the cool features when I play it :)

If you add new council positions, a scroll bar will appear, but it will probably require some interface mod work to make it look good.

Awesome, do many other things have potential scroll bars when modded?
Could someone mod it in for a position to require a trait? as to Lord Spirituals dont need ecclesiastical education is that moddable too?
everything else sounds cool too
Also what are the two other duties each council member can be sent off to do?

Can I play now?

BTW that hour long video of Johan playing was great, especially the surprises. Hope there's another!

In the technology DD it was said that it increases the rate at which you get technology for all 3 categories, while Martial/Diplomacy/Stewardship only help their respective category.

ah ok, cool. so i am assuming the learning attribute applies to rulers in that regard but i noticed from screenshots that all characters have "learning". any idea how it affects the lord spiritual? my guess is that it influences the chances of conversion or improving religious relations but i could be wrong

ah ok, cool. so i am assuming the learning attribute applies to rulers in that regard but i noticed from screenshots that all characters have "learning". any idea how it affects the lord spiritual? my guess is that it influences the chances of conversion or improving religious relations but i could be wrong

Thatd make sense.
How does military skill effect the marshal? or intrigue the spymaster, im guessing in exactly the same way as learning the LS

Will we be able to mod the composition of the council such that it could vary by rank, culture, or specific triggers? So, for example, Kings could get an extra councilor "Lord Chamberlain", or British courts could have an extra position "Justicar", or whoever owns Constantinople have an extra position "Prefect of the City".

In other words, will we be able to make some positions available to certain courts and not to others, or does the council have to have the same positions everywhere?

Will we be able to mod the composition of the council such that it could vary by rank, culture, or specific triggers? So, for example, Kings could get an extra councilor "Lord Chamberlain", or British courts could have an extra position "Justicar", or whoever owns Constantinople have an extra position "Prefect of the City".

In other words, will we be able to make some positions available to certain courts and not to others, or does the council have to have the same positions everywhere?

From past paradox experience
At the very least you ought be able to make a rank which every court has but only one can fill, but put tag= or location= in the requirements for any character trying to assume the position. Although that would probably look ugly.

What the hell is that?

Your spiritual advisor.

Can you combine positions? E.g. one position taking on the abilities of both the marshall and chancellor?

No. Every job needs a different character.

That's in Sengoku already and we've been seeing them active in the field since quite early on in Dev Diaries. It's new to Crusader Kings, but it isn't news.

It may not have been mentioned in a dev diary but I agree with nyah that I've seen it mentioned on this forum.

Yes, well these dev diaries aren't only meant for those who regularly hang around the forum, but for everyone else that might be interested in buying the game.

If you're Christian, and you have a character with a different religion and make him your lord spiritual, then tell him to go convert, in the name of what faith will he march forth?

His own religion, so unless that is something you want, it's not the best of ideas.

I would guess that you cannot appoint a character as Lord Spiritual unless he is Christian.

You can, but other characters, and the Pope especially, won't be too thrilled.

So, can forge claim only on count-level titles (the county you send your chancellor to) ? Or will it depend on your chancellor's skill, on your choice, on chance ?

If your Chancellor is good enough he might be able to produce a claim on the duchy.

Women can normally not serve as councillors, although the spouse and mother of the ruler can be Spymaster.

Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to have women normally able to serve as (non-Marshall and -Spiritual I guess) councillors, but with a hit to prestige (and maybe piety) and/or unavailable if the ruler has certain traits (or maybe just available if the ruler have certain traits)? That way the player and AI won't break away from what is (generally speaking) historically correct too much, but can still benefit if he happens to get a female courtier with 25 Diplomacy, or if he thinks the benefits of that outweighs the drawbacks.