• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And we'll see you next week, when we'll talk a little bit about the map.
Why do you always start with the map? I want to hear about game design and mechanics! Like about:
a large base of cool, new mechanics that would fit Japan

Well, these are terrible graphics, actually. Especially those province borders look so 1998.

As pointed out this is an alpha screenshot and borders will most likely change in some way. And if you really think this looks terrible, there's probably not that many strategy games that pass your scrutiny.

There's not a lot to comment on so far, I just hope that the brown fog filter you're using can be toggled. Please allow it to be toggled! (It's early enough in development to make it an option, right?)

I play strategy games to get away from the super brown gears of war clones and such, I don't want the look creeping into my strategy games, too :(.

I'm not sure I understand what the "brown fog filter" is, but if this reminds you of Gears of War, I'm not sure what to tell you...

What happened to Japan's northern-most island in the mini-map? Does Hokkaido not play a prominent role in the game's time period?

No it really doesn't, so that why it was omitted.

Given how much Japan interacted with China and Korea (invading them twice in the 16th century), I'm surprised and a little disappointed that the map only has Japan on it.

Two reasons:

1) It's outside of the Sengoku period. (that we then have extended the timeline a bit is for the same reason we do it in HoI, to allow you some room to end the game without having to hit the exact historical end-date)

2) The game mechanics is geared towards internal fighting, uniting Japan and become shogun. Thus, invading Korea and China is very far from this.

The scale of the map seems a bit small to me.

In what way? Avatars vs. province? Province count? Map resolution?

Looks nice. Not the most spectacular quality, but in its alpha stage it looks pretty nice. Feels old and Japanese in the colour scheme, so pretty appropriate. :)

In what way? Avatars vs. province? Province count? Map resolution?
Well, I think most would agree the more provinces the better :D

But I was referring to Avatars vs. province. It might be just this screenshot but I think the map might become crowded when the smaller provinces are filled with troops.

Iiiinteresting.

Nice to see that Awaji got a lot of provinces :D

No it really doesn't, so that why it was omitted.

Two reasons:

1) It's outside of the Sengoku period. (that we then have extended the timeline a bit is for the same reason we do it in HoI, to allow you some room to end the game without having to hit the exact historical end-date)

2) The game mechanics is geared towards internal fighting, uniting Japan and become shogun. Thus, invading Korea and China is very far from this.

Any eventual chance of an expansion to allow for an invasion of Korea?

Anyone say anything about why there are larger banners and smaller banners around the map? or is it just decorative for a nicer alpha screen? :p

From looking at the map alone, it doesn't look like there are King-Duke-Count vassalage relationships in this game. My interest is peaked.

Well, I think most would agree the more provinces the better :D

I think 350 is quite a lot of provinces. And I don't think the game would benefit from more.

But I was referring to Avatars vs. province. It might be just this screenshot but I think the map might become crowded when the smaller provinces are filled with troops.

That might change though. I think the city models where bigger at the start of the project for instance.

Any eventual chance of an expansion to allow for an invasion of Korea?

Sure. If you buy Sengoku and convince 999,999 oher to do the same I'm sure you can convince Johan to make that our top priority ;)

Anyone say anything about why there are larger banners and smaller banners around the map? or is it just decorative for a nicer alpha screen? :p

There is of course a reason behind it. But I'm not gonna tell you...

From looking at the map alone, it doesn't look like there are King-Duke-Count vassalage relationships in this game. My interest is peaked.
I think it was said that there is a similar system but with a fewer tiers.

I think it was said that there is a similar system but with a fewer tiers.
If I remember right there are two ranks. Daimyos who are heads of clans, and then another title (can't remember the name) who are their vassals.

No point ignoring the elephant in the room, you guys at Paradox have an uphill battle with the release of Shogun 2. With that said, Crusader Kings and Medieval are completely different games, and I'm sure you can do the same with Sengoku. Whether that'll be enough to convince people to buy... I'm not sure. I still need convincing, when I usually haven't needed any.

Of course, it would help if I could actually see screenshots... for some reason the forums and Gamersgate take an eternity to load when I'm in Christchurch, yet are just fine from other parts of the country. Hopefully the server upgrade will help.

Of course, it would help if I could actually see screenshots... for some reason the forums and Gamersgate take an eternity to load when I'm in Christchurch, yet are just fine from other parts of the country. Hopefully the server upgrade will help.

I've been having a similar problem though I'm in Auckland. You might want to try a proxy; I've been using anonymouse.org lately and it loads paradox forums nicely.