• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Hello and Welcome to the first development diary for Sengoku. I'm Johan Andersson, the Producer of this game. In this the first development diary, I just want to give a quick outline of what we aim to achieve with the game, and introduce the core of the team.

We've been talking for years about making a game set in Japan, as we have several employees with a deep interest in East Asia, and our CEO once lived there for a while. When we worked on the design for CKII, we realised that we could actually make a game set in 16th and 17th century Japan, a game that would feel like a true Paradox game.

Our vision for the game is to take one large pinch of character focus from Crusader Kings, one pinch of clear mechanics from EU3, one pinch of interface knowledge from Victoria II and a large base of cool, new mechanics that would fit Japan.

The core of the team consists of Besuchov as the project lead - he was the lead for Victoria 2 and has been working with us as a senior programmer since HoI2 - Aerie, who handles the look of the game, Birken who does the bulk of the programming, King who made the design, and Captain Gars for the scripts. Other people heavily involved in the project is Yonaz, Solsara & Viktor. Finally, there is me who ends up with the fun tasks of writing development diaries :)

So, here is a screenshot of the game as it looks today.... And we'll see you next week, when we'll talk a little bit about the map.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sengoku_alpha_screenshot11.png
    sengoku_alpha_screenshot11.png
    2,5 MB · Views: 9.683
Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot to add that the Creative Assembly published Shogun: Total War and therefore have to make a competitor :)

Well, considering that Shogun: Total War was released eleven years ago, I think we might be a bit too late for that.

If this is not very detailed or awesome as i hope CKII Would be, I think you are now stepping on to the landmine...

What...?

Wait... this is an official Paradox title, not a fan-made spin-off like Arsenal of Democracy and For the Glory? I'm suddenly very, very interested! :)

Yes. Entirely internally developed!

Well, these are terrible graphics, actually. Especially those province borders look so 1998.

As pointed out this is an alpha screenshot and borders will most likely change in some way. And if you really think this looks terrible, there's probably not that many strategy games that pass your scrutiny.

There's not a lot to comment on so far, I just hope that the brown fog filter you're using can be toggled. Please allow it to be toggled! (It's early enough in development to make it an option, right?)

I play strategy games to get away from the super brown gears of war clones and such, I don't want the look creeping into my strategy games, too :(.

I'm not sure I understand what the "brown fog filter" is, but if this reminds you of Gears of War, I'm not sure what to tell you...

What happened to Japan's northern-most island in the mini-map? Does Hokkaido not play a prominent role in the game's time period?

No it really doesn't, so that why it was omitted.

Given how much Japan interacted with China and Korea (invading them twice in the 16th century), I'm surprised and a little disappointed that the map only has Japan on it.

Two reasons:

1) It's outside of the Sengoku period. (that we then have extended the timeline a bit is for the same reason we do it in HoI, to allow you some room to end the game without having to hit the exact historical end-date)

2) The game mechanics is geared towards internal fighting, uniting Japan and become shogun. Thus, invading Korea and China is very far from this.

The scale of the map seems a bit small to me.

In what way? Avatars vs. province? Province count? Map resolution?

Well, I think most would agree the more provinces the better :D

I think 350 is quite a lot of provinces. And I don't think the game would benefit from more.

But I was referring to Avatars vs. province. It might be just this screenshot but I think the map might become crowded when the smaller provinces are filled with troops.

That might change though. I think the city models where bigger at the start of the project for instance.

Any eventual chance of an expansion to allow for an invasion of Korea?

Sure. If you buy Sengoku and convince 999,999 oher to do the same I'm sure you can convince Johan to make that our top priority ;)

Anyone say anything about why there are larger banners and smaller banners around the map? or is it just decorative for a nicer alpha screen? :p

There is of course a reason behind it. But I'm not gonna tell you...

Very nice Johan, please have a working supply system :p (pretty please)

I think a proper supply system with trucks, oil pipelines and submarine warfare is the #1 priority.

Or maybe a weather simulation taking 75% of the processing time to measure moisture... Yes thats what we'll focus on..

:EVIL: