• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice article, Enewald! I think there is a nice symmetry between the white and black eagles, personally.

Good grief, those pagans are tough.

Just finished reading the AAR up to now, fantastic work. The map is, as I said on AlternateHistory.com, really cool, and the same can be said for the rest of your graphics as well. I feel inspired to give CK AARing a try myself after reading this too. :3

I look forward to the next update!

Great work on this AAR! You had me at Poland. I especially love the maps and attention to detail in your graphics. I'll be following!

Griffin.Gen, Enewald, AllmyJames - Thanks. It seems that perhaps proper Prussian pagan symbol won't be needed after this update. ;)

RGB - Yep, I was quite surprised as well. But it is good thing that warfare in CK is a little bit random and surprising at times.

gabor, the_hdk, robw963 - Thanks. :)

Kuld von Reyn - Thank you - sure give it a try. :)

Yeah, it's been a while, but this AAR continues.

LOGO-1.png

Blessed Janisław I
1086-1132
Duke.png
Duke of Masovia 1103-1116
King.png
King of Poland 1116-1132

portret.jpg

Traits:

vengeful.png
Vengeful,
Reckless.png
Reckless,
Prodigy.png
Prodigy,
Gregarious.png
Gregarious,
Martial_cleric.png
Martial Cleric.

When news about disaster of 'Second Prussian Crusade' of year 1116, and death of Konrad I, reached his son and heir Janisław in Masovia, he was ready to march north for revenge. However, his plans were interrupted by revolt of new Duke of Sandomierz Bolko II in the south. Fearing that rebellion could spread, he decided to deal with it swiftly and decisively in order to discourage other vassals, and especially his brothers, from opposing him. However, to do so he had to pay Prussians tribute in exchange for peace, which damaged relations with the Church. Even though Duke of Sandomierz briefly controlled Kraków, rebellion was crushed by late 1117 and fief passed to king's son - Przemysław.

Following his coronation, Janisław saw to strengthen his relations with the Church just like his father. He financed construction of numerous monasteries and temples throughout the realm, and gave land and privileges to clergy in Galindia and Chełmno land, where Pagan worship was still common among Prussian subjects. Attempts to forcibly Christianise them soon led to violence and tensions along borders. Thus in year 1120 king gathered his forces to invade pagans once again.

Woje.jpg

'Tarczownicy' levied from rural elites. This type of infantry began to slowly disappear in 12th century with ongoing feudalisation.

It is estimated that Polish army consisted of around 20,000 men, which was very big number for that time. Small Prussian forces were quickly crushed and routed, but Poles suffered heavy causalities from ambushes while crossing thick forest, and treacherous marshes of Prussia. Despite these losses pagan settlements fell one after another, and by the end of the year 'Third Prussian Crusade' ended with Polish victory. Success greatly strengthened royal authority and won Janisław close alliance with the Pope. After negotiations with Rome, king created Archbishopric of Prussia, which encompassed whole pagan realm.

However, many lords were vary of growing influence of the Church, especially after unprecedented concessions in Prussia. This growing unrest was used by Janisław's brother Wacław, Duke of Pomerania, who wanted to claim throne for himself. He decided to act too quickly however, overestimating potential support from other vassals. In year 1122 he sent an assassin to kill the king, but attempt failed, and Janisław's men eventually found out who stood behind it. When his crime was officially announced and royal forces began to march to Pomerania, none of the lords supported Wacław, and he was forced to flee with his family to Bohemia.

Remainder of Janisław's reign was relatively peaceful and stable, unlike in Germany and Rus' which were suffering from civil wars at a time. Pomerania, which was relatively isolated part of the realm in previous decades, became more and more integrated, with local elites interacting and intermarrying with those from central Poland. There was also an uprising in Prussia, but it was quickly quelled by powerful Archbishop. King Janisław I died in year 1132 at age of 46, passing the throne to his son Przemysław. For his services to Church, he was later beatified, just like his father.

Mapa-3.jpg

Poland in year 1132.

Marriages and children.

Luca Barkalan (1084-)
Luca.jpg

Like many other Piasts, Janisław married with Hungarian nobility.
- Przemysław - born in 1104, Duke of Sandomierz.
- Jadwiga - born in 1105, married to Ludwig von Weimar (in line of succession to Duchy of Meissen-Saxony).
- Euforyzyna - born in 1108 died in 1125, married to Berthold von Helffenstein, Count of Altmark.
- Konstancja - born in 1109, married to Zvonimir II Frangepan, Duke of Croatia.

Male line of Piast dynasty in year 1132:

Familytree-1.jpg

Excellent, another update. I missed reading this AAR, it's very good. Glad to see that the Piast kings are finally able to crush rebellions once and for all. Looks like Janislaw was your best king in decades.

A great read and a great AAR. I really like how you have incorporated total war into the telling of the story. I also love the colour plates you used to show different fighting men. I own quite a few of them in various Ospreys that I own. I do have one question, how do you get the character portraits so beautiful? it kind of reminds me of mount and blade a little.

I plan on buying the 3 games that are required to do a megacampaign soon (CK(2?)+EU3+Victoria Revolutions/2 i guess) so this will be very interesting to follow until i get the funds to repair my computer + purchase the games. Also a nice surprise to see such good graphics + a country that I am interested to follow as it is my "fatherland".

Interesting that the emphasis is on the shield for the burger infantry (tarczowcy). Prussian archbishoprick - sounds the the Teutons all over again?

Ruwaard, Edzako, asd21593 - Thank you. :)

the_hdk Well, I don't know. Where can I get these events? I certainly wouldn't want to breed Kwizatz Haderach because game would be too easy/boring.

SplendidTuesday - Indeed he was best in decades, though I wouldn't bet on rebellions being crushed once for all. ;)

gabor - Unless they receive land, I don't think that they could become dangerous. Wacław with his family is at Bohemian county of Opava, serving as a diocese bishop.

Lord Blekinge - Thanks. To make portraits I use 3d model for character's body (mostly my own models from M2TW modding), then I put 2d head from CK, and use some filters so it visually blends well with the body. After that I put background, made from screenshots from M2TW, Mount & Blade (good eye there), or other game. Then I adjust hue/brightness/etc and put 'old paper' overlay on top, and it's done. Takes some time but it is fun.

Shynka - Thanks and good luck with (mega)campaigning. :)

EDIT

RGB - Well, name comes from tribal times and basically meant all light/levied troops. It was used in early chronicles to differentiate them from armoured/mercenary/cavalry/duzhyna types of troops which were called 'Pancerni'. As for Prussia - yeah, perhaps. ;)

With the Prussians I wil be interesting to see where the new King turns. More Baltic crudaing, or a chance to show off Poland's strength on the European stage.