• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Taking a break from my GBR game, I started another as Switzerland. No cheating of any kind, and the houserule that I'll only take and keep what I have (or will immediately get) cores on. Since I'm already a Republic, I see no compelling reason to change to Monarchy, so expansion by PU is out of the question.

EU3_11.jpg

Got a Border Dispute with Bavaria giving me a core on my new province. I took another province with it, enacted Cultural Unity on mine and released the other.

-Pat

EU3_81.jpg

Decided to play a super diplomacy game as Milan->Italy. After forming Italy, and after my war of forced personal union on Austria, I did very little actual warfare myself, except for when my minions needed help. I am directly governing ONLY Italians (Tirol and Gorz have been culturally assimilated), and the provinces I need in order to maintain Bosphorus Sound Toll bonus, Baltic Sea Sound Toll bonus, East Asia Trade Route bonus (I have muscat as well) and East India Trade company (I have a province on Java island) Also grabbed Jerusalem there, just for kicks. Thought about grabbing Mecca as well, for another symbolic kick in the teeth to my enemies :p
EU3_82.png

These are my vassals by the point I got bored with it. The 2nd to last Imperial reform has indeed been passed, but only to grab a few stray countries that I hadn't bothered with yet, and transform the PU with Austria into a vassal relationship, since I did not want to inherit a bunch of coreless Austrian provinces. Not pictured is my sphere of influence... not sure how many countries are in it, but it now takes 78 prestige to get a new one. I have been prestige farming all game. Philosopher advisor, and now I'm rolling with a Constitutional Monarchy, and am HRE with all but the last reform passed. (Not gonna pass the last one, been able to for about 150 years)
EU3_83.jpg

One nice thing about directly governing fewer provinces is that you can develop your existing ones to the absolute maximum. These italian provinces are all extremely rich (blue means maxed buildings)

This was a FUN game. After a while, I just let my vassals do everything for me. It is nice to have your AI pets just take care of all the menial tasks for you. If I want someone destroyed, I let loose my vast army of loyal pets, and I just sit back and watch the SWARM of troops and ships dismantle that poor other country, and inevitably add it to the list of vassals. With that sphere of influence, pretty much everyone without their own sphere of influence would willingly agree to become a vassal.

eu311.png

eu312.png

Now, this one takes a little explaining. I recently skimmed back over some of my old save games and found this one from when I started playing again with DW after a long absence (from some time not long after IN came out). At the time, it was nothing interesting, but the overall political situation is actually rather unusual.

France, Spain, Austria, Bohemia and GB (me) are the dominant powers in Europe. All have -200 relations with every other one, all have fought a more or less constant war with each other for almost the entire game (to early 17th Century). Sweden is a more minor power, also with -200 relations all round, but also guaranteed by all parties. Muskovy and Ming (not pictured) have been fighting back and forth all over Asia, ranging from Muskovy reaching deep into China (as now) to Ming reaching almost to the Baltic. Poland is allied to me, which is why the minors in what used to be Lithuania haven't been eaten by Bohemia yet. Current Emperor is Bohemia, but they look like being replaced by Austria next time it changes. All major European powers are catholic with the exception of France (Protestant), but a large number of minors are protestant or reformed. In fact, this one is looking so interesting I might pick up a minor (perhaps Italian?) and play it out.

Since I think they are the coolest looking country not only color wise on the map; but also flag wise, I decided to start a new game as the Livonian Order on the 1st date they become available.

First years were spent changing national ideas and staying neutral in Europe like a coward. I did annex Riga in a quick early war, Hansa trounced me around but my Prussian Knights held their own on the defensive after some scorched land, so I continued to sit around. I changed my national ideas to National Conscripts and then Military Drill. When I got to tech 11 I grabbed QFTNW and with military acess in Portugal I landed in Mexico. Unfortunatley Castile beat me to the Maya, but now the border in Mexico is fixed.

Right now I am undergoing financial burden, barley turning a profit and cannot turn down maintenance at the moment. Plan is to move the Capital to the New World ASAP and finish converting my provinces to Protestantism. I am technologicaly on par with everyone else. My goals for the future are reconquest of the Holy Land, and whatever else I can think of.

EU3_MAP_LIV_1523713_1.jpg

EU3_MAP_LIV_1523713_2.jpg

*empire pics*

Now, this one takes a little explaining. I recently skimmed back over some of my old save games and found this one from when I started playing again with DW after a long absence (from some time not long after IN came out). At the time, it was nothing interesting, but the overall political situation is actually rather unusual.

France, Spain, Austria, Bohemia and GB (me) are the dominant powers in Europe. All have -200 relations with every other one, all have fought a more or less constant war with each other for almost the entire game (to early 17th Century). Sweden is a more minor power, also with -200 relations all round, but also guaranteed by all parties. Muskovy and Ming (not pictured) have been fighting back and forth all over Asia, ranging from Muskovy reaching deep into China (as now) to Ming reaching almost to the Baltic. Poland is allied to me, which is why the minors in what used to be Lithuania haven't been eaten by Bohemia yet. Current Emperor is Bohemia, but they look like being replaced by Austria next time it changes. All major European powers are catholic with the exception of France (Protestant), but a large number of minors are protestant or reformed. In fact, this one is looking so interesting I might pick up a minor (perhaps Italian?) and play it out.

Is that Urbino with most of southern Italy?

Who'd you form it with?
This also puts my own Romanian Empire to shame, but I did badly because of an overpowered Hungary (it was HRE/Allied with HRE) the entire game, and a Castille obsessed with Turkey....

I formed it with Moldavia, was a long game where I was struggling for survival until 1600, with huge poland ganging me with his minions almost all the time xd

Luckily i didnt have any problems taking Turkey for myself.

But I do have to say, the first 10-20 years in the game are vital. First thing i did was to dow Wallachia w.o CB, and annex.
Then got an mission to take silistria from OE... which well was easier said than done, but when he got busy with an war somewhere, I went in and took what I wanted! a lil bit later I also got an lucky border dispute on Transylvania, led to forming Romania in 1454 when my cores on Wallachia came :)

This is my first game on Chronicles (and second on EUIII), playing as France on Normal difficulty. Castille, Austria, Bohemia and I are the four main powers in Europe - naturally, we all hate each other. Castille did very well in North Africa, soon controlling almost all of it, but recently has lost most of that to Algerian rebels.

The yellow in central America, BTW, is not Castille but 'Scottish North America.'
EU3_MAP_FRA_1626.1.29_1.jpgEU3_MAP_FRA_1626.1.29_2.jpg

Welcome to the (former) Horde on the day of Mughalisation (Jul 1425):
EU3_MAP_MUG_142572_1.jpg

Notice scawy Vijanayagar. Ottomans collapsed due to crusade and being smashed by certain nameless nomadic warriors. The Timurids have just about recovered from their collapse and ate Persia, but they're still losing wars to a resurgent QK and the Mamluks. Burgundy's doing fairly well having grabbed Champagne and Norfolk.

I've just triggered Overextension though and I'm less than 30% cored so I need a period of relative quiet now. Not sure where to expand next, Eastern Europe, Persia, the Holy Land, India or China.

Last edited:
Cleaning up the Timurids is going to take a lot of cash (for colonists) which I don't have at the moment (especially as I somehow have to find the $$$ to build a sizeable navy from scratch). I think I'm going to take my cores in North India, smash Megayanagar and then move into either China or the Holy Land. The Oirats are completely occupied by Manchu and are being slowly swallowed. Thoughts?

Forming Russia is hard as there are so many Tartar provinces, making a culture flip very contrived. Not to mention the loss of stability will be incredibly painful since I have so much non-core, wrong-religion and wrong-culture territory.