• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe LoneWolfEburg is right, only looking at the sdk could reveal the truth. No doubt someone did it, modders obviously.
I remember also that some high level smart play made the AI actually weaker.
For example some tech beelining that leaved the AI without useful military tech.

Just won my first Civ5 game and I noticed that when the AI went to war with eachother, they quickly ran out of units to fight with... Why? Because they'd get to the sphere of influence of a city, get hammered by missiles once and - rather than attacking the city - would "Fortify Untill Healed" within range of the city. And of course brought their units one by one.

...Yeah... Well done. *cough*declares war and ends both civs*cough*

Civilization has progressing cheating. It's good. Developers don't kill features for AI and develop it for a reasanable amount of time but he cheats gently. You don't get into situations like "all enemy swordsmen have magic sword making them 25% better than yours" or "everything AI buys is 25% cheaper" like in EU and many other games. He gets some benefits where player can't see them. So it imitates better money handling with "believable" cheats. Have you seen The Dark Knight? Joker is Civilization Very Smart AI. He doesn't have unlimited bullets without reloading, he can't survive falling piano, he hasn't got superpowers. He doesn't cheat obviously. But he teleports when we don't see him, he gets trained guys out of somewhere, he thought about landing explosives everywhere. That's a real cheating: he doesn't try to make us fools ("Hey, nobody could survive this! And how can anybody shot a tank with revolver? How could he hack pentagon computers with mobile phone in ten seconds?!"), he is cheater extravagante. And that's cool.

Civ4 Deity is blatant cheating, though, especially Vanilla.

You don't get into situations like "all enemy swordsmen have magic sword making them 25% better than yours" or "everything AI buys is 25% cheaper" like in EU

Examples of Emperor bonuses of Civ4 AI:

15% less hammers needed when producing units and buildings (not wonders, though), 10% faster city growth, free Hunting and Archery techs at start, free two Archers at start, 15% less unit maintenance, 50% less unit supply (units cost higher when not in your borders, the AI pays 50% less of it), etc. Not that different from "everything AI buys is 25% cheaper". So far my general impressions with both Civ4 AI's and Normal level EU AI's had been alike. Then again, in any game I have much more theoretical knowledge then actual skill, so I am not that good of a EU3 player.

But aren't developers tied to the lowest common denominator for CPU power available to use in AI? If Paradox decides to support the same Pentium 4 CPUs when EU3 1.0 was published, aren't they really limiting themselves by what they can get done by each in-game day?
AI routines, to my knowledge, are totally CPU bound. I'd actually like to see from a EU3 developer what more they could add to the game if they supported no less than a Core 2 Duo at 2 GHz or AMD equivalent.
I would also like to know if I upgrade my CPU to a Phenom X6 at 3 Ghz it will make absolutely no difference to the game, even with Divine Wind, if the game's engine isn't flexible enough to escalate and use the extra resources now available.

But, to be honest, I don't really mind the AI allowing itself to be stupid enough to allow a nation to form out of its rebels. It gives colour and novelty to the game.

Why does everyone moan about the AI ? its the best AI I've ever seen in a strategy game ! just get ETW and you'll learn to love EU3's AI

also, if you think devs are too lazy to make a good AI, then make one yourself lets see how good you are at it

Civ V AI is regarded as retarded on any difficulty level. You missed the shitstorm on CivFanatics?
Then again, there seems to be raging on any aspect of Civ V. It's not very well received.

They did the same thing with Civ IV, so I wouldn't give it too much thought. Every new version of Civ is "THE WORST ONE EVAR!!11!1!!!" and then in six months or a year, it's the only one most civ fans can stand to play.

They did the same thing with Civ IV, so I wouldn't give it too much thought. Every new version of Civ is "THE WORST ONE EVAR!!11!1!!!" and then in six months or a year, it's the only one most civ fans can stand to play.

Well, some complaints are very legitimate. Personally I rage about the obligation to install steam. But that's hardly related to the actual game.

AI is the hardest aspect of a game to code. Most who complain about it, really don't know the complexity of the coding involved. Being someone who has... its a damn pain in the arse to configure... and can be tough to determine if its WAD...

EU3 is miles ahead of say HOI3...

I´ve played Civ V a couple of times and I really liked it. Think it´s the best up to date, specially for the new hex and combat system, but the riduculous AI dumbness, cheating (civilizations at late eras too early) and agressiveness (this in a lesser scale) made me lose interest in it.

But the case here is EU3 and it seems to cheat a lot less than CIV 5. Actually, the only cheating I can see is the combat rolls on lucky nations and the events that seems to take from the worst aspects of your country or give you where you are going good (loosing stability when you are low on it or giving you money when you don´t need it, which, anyway, is plausible). For the AI, generally it seems ok. Don´t think it´s the worst AI ever as the OP , but too easy to exploit in combat. Like in CIV, if you wait, it will screw itself and then you can attack without problems. Or, just to name one, it will never stop a siege to attack a lesser but still powerfull stack of yours.

It´s too easy and confortable to blame developers for an AI not capable to withstand a good challenge. It´s probably the most backward aspect of technology in any game. Besides, even the name can be missleading, to think AI really has intelligence. There are games that sure have crappy ones, but you can´t forget that AI can´t be creative and look for new answers to what it shows up. It´s bound to what is scripted and someday you learn how to sploit it. What developres can´t do is reprogram it to impose new chalenges but, again, someday you learn how to sploit it again. Actually I think it´s one of the key aspects of research on the topic, to make an artificial intelligence that can learn by itself, or, in other words, make it stand for its name.

Regarding cheating - The only general "AI cheats" I know is no naval attrition, lower land attrition and no decrease of the relation between a vasall and its master after a failed annexion demands. Are there more?

Further "cheats" are lucky nations (which can be disabled) or the hard/very hard difficulty (which you also have to chose, and if you like you can get put the difficulty to easy or very easy to be the one who'll get the advantage).

Overall, the AI is quite good in my opinion. It's a very nasty, opportunistic bastard - If you're almost broke after a hard war against one large neigbour, everyone else will start to jump on you. It won't make peace if it has still a good chance to win, but will offer peace if the situation is getting grave. Of course, somtimes the AI can be stubborn, but it is definetly not bad.

The AI does not get lower land attrition.
Where do you get that from?

I thought that they have a 20% bonus on the supply limit - but I could be wrong, I'm not completely sure about it.

Regarding cheating - The only general "AI cheats" I know is no naval attrition, lower land attrition and no decrease of the relation between a vasall and its master after a failed annexion demands.

The AI seems to instantly know about your military movements (at least, naval) regardless of whether they have units which could observe them or not.

This is potentially explainable with "infiltrate administration", but if so, then it sure seems like every single time I've ever wanted to get a ship out of port with a large enemy fleet somewhere vaguely nearby, that fleet's nation happens to have infiltrated my administration.

I haven't seen you write here that much, in fact I noticed you only yesterday, and already I like you. :p

I was just thinking the same thing :D

Back on topic, something I've actually really wanted for some time was a way to easily see, modify, and add AI routines. I can understand it not being feasible for backporting into HTTT, but with a new expansion on it's way, this is the kind of thing I'd love to have added. King mentioned that DW was nearly feature complete, hopefully we can get an exposed AI included on that list of features.