• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope you will get to Istambul again and finally be able to take it out of the hands of the Ottomans :)

I considered it, but I ultimately decided to go Vanilla, plus your nice map mods, of course.
It delayed things substantially, but... *shrugs* I suppose what matters is the end result :)

Have you played your game allready to a point so far that you can say you suceeded?
Hope to see an update to this great AAR soon :)

Have you played your game allready to a point so far that you can say you suceeded?
Hope to see an update to this great AAR soon :)

SPOILERS

Yes, I have. I played it until 1910, where Byzantium is restored to proper form (with a couple small oddities - Romania has a region in Anatolia and there's a landlocked Serbian region in Macedonia - I let them take these to speed up the end of the OE vs my badboy issues). Also rules most of Africa, Arabia and has significant SE Asian holdings. Ranked 6th greater power. This was possible because of some luck, some free CBs, and Iraq breaking away from the Ottomans, and a few other things. Byzantium was restored, I believe, in 1902.

Unfortunately I dont think I will be able to play past 1910. The game is lagging too bad :(

But thats not a major issue. My writers' block of sorts doesn't come from that, but rather from the fact I find a hard time writing about what happens next compellingly. Aside from Greece's surprising success in the race for Africa, its really been wait for BB to go down > DoW Ottomans > Take a province... wait, rinse and repeat. There's only so much writer liscense I can make up to keep this interesting for 8 more wars. :)

I'll try to think about a way, otherwise, I'm likely to do a "fast-foward" update that touches on the rest of the game much less in-depth but allows readers to see its "completion". Would that satisify readers, or you'd rather I find a way to continue producing 5-10 year chunks updates that may seem repetitive?

Last edited:
Oh i see, thank you for the Spoiler.
Well i wouldnt mind if you do such a "fast forward" update.
Whatever you prefer really :)

Can we get a screenshot of a restored Byzantium?

Great AAR! :)

Can we get a screenshot of a restored Byzantium?

Great AAR! :)

Sure. Heres a couple screenies from late game. Ill write a formal chapter or two to wrap this up in the near future, but certainly outside contest boundaries considering Ive broken the once-a-week rule by far. At least my five core entries are there, and they were fairly good, I think.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5859263/AAR/V2_166.bmp (Restoration)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5859263/AAR/V2_MAP_BYZ_1909.2.1_1.bmp (Latest Map)

Had I been able to play this till the end, industrial expansion, and the reconquest of the Serbian and Romanian enclaves would have been priorities. Then if I could, BB permitting, pushing the Russians back outside of Anatolia, and if I felt really foolish, maybe a grand finale against 20,000 score Britain over Sicily.) After all, it was once Byzantine land. :) Italy being in my sphere with no chance of getting GP status after that loss is probably the biggest late game military advantage I had. 9th rank, maybe, but Italy fielded hell of an army into any war I declared. In fact, it made me lazy, my armed forces should/could be larger than they are.

It took alot of luck to achieve restoration by 1900. Without several lucky CBs and other events outside my control (Egypt grabbing land in Anatolia which I could then retake for 4bb instead of 10, for instance, or Iraq breaking free and being annexed for 8BB instead of 30, Austria, Romania, Serbia and Russia deciding to claim pieces of the crumbling OE, etc ) to do it this early. Plus, I was a little gamey, capturing some stuff with Place in the Sun CBs and releasing it for 5 infamy breaks (Khiva, for instance). Obviously Ive let myself be distracted by side-dishes to establish a decent Empire, but I wasnt mathematically expecting to be able to pull it off before 1920 early on.

Some things Ive never really managed to fix: literacy only broke 25% by 1910. And I only achieved enough population to be entitled to the max focus points my tech allowed by about 1905. Population is less than 25% Greek. Im guessing still that by game end, most of Greece's natural shortcomings would have been more or less overcome nonetheless.

Last edited:
(...) considering Ive broken the once-a-week rule by far.

I considered the one post a week rule off for every AAR that had the initial 5 chapters necessary,
I thought i posted that somewhere in the rules... but i am not sure now, i maybe havent,
but neverthless, i wont enforce it for any AAR that has allready the 5 chapters for the contest.

Those screenies and what you accieved is quite impressive, congratulations.
I hope you get around to write some more chapters for that :)

It was a great read while it lasted. You certainly have a knack for writing history book AARs. Hopefully you'll write a new one someday and be able to complete it.

Although I'll miss it, I'm glad to see this end on such a good note. You played well, brought success to Greece in it's hour of need, and made it really entertaining. A golden apple and five tons of flax to you, and thanks for sharing your AAR with us. :)

As a side note, literacy is one of the hardest things I've seen to improve; only time and patience work on it, although it really makes even breaking 25% feel like an achievement -as it should.

I still havent given up hope to see a propper "ending" chapter at least :)

The Contest has reached its end now, and is closed for further chapters!

Anything posted after this posting will not be taken in account from any judge.
You are also free to continue your AAR in any style and form that you prefer,
and arnt bound by any contest rules any more.

Thank you very much for your participation!

The final Overview Posting is here!

The judging is in progress, watch the contest thread
for the announcment of the scores as soon as i get them. :)

I still havent given up hope to see a propper "ending" chapter at least :)

Nor should you :) Things have been terribly hectic and Im afraid Ive been prioritizing.. Im very glad I managed to make it a worthwhile read for others, and contest or no contest, I have all the screenshots I need to make a wrap-up update once I can. Definitely wont go beyond 1910 though.

Nor should you :) Things have been terribly hectic and Im afraid Ive been prioritizing.. Im very glad I managed to make it a worthwhile read for others, and contest or no contest, I have all the screenshots I need to make a wrap-up update once I can. Definitely wont go beyond 1910 though.

Awesome, thx!
Cant wait to read it when you got the time to write it :)

Alerias,

Great AAR!

Did you take Siam, or do they just have the same color as you?

Impressive job.

Rensslaer

The contest is over and i am happy to present you your final rank:

7972341contest-placement-03.jpg

Alerias - The Legend of the Marble Emperor - Hellenic AAR

Your AAR ranked number 3, Congratulations!

You also won my 3rd Prize!
20.000 Blue Coins on Gamersgate.

So there we are, and you made it to the Top 3! :)
That struck me as a suprise, you even fought hard for Place 2,
but lost it in the end.

I personally followed your AAR quite closely, and i really liked it alot,
but i wouldnt have thought that so many judges would agree with my opinion.
I thought you would end in the Top 10 somewhere before i had any scores.

But when the scores came in, you where up in the top 3
and you defended your place with every score update that came in :)
You where never leading, you where place 2 quite a while and
in the end you where on the 3rd Place.

You are the second AAR in the contest that brought me to play a nation,
gratz to that, but my Greece game was way less glorious than yours ;)

Maybe its the fact that you semi-finished your AAR that helped you stay on top,
or it was also the common love for Byzantium that many share.

That you wrote a awesome AAR with great Pictures,
an impressive Story and interresting gameplay
might have helped you too of course ;)

I hope you can find the time to write the conclusion chapter for your AAR.
A Place 3 AAR deserves to have a propper ending!

You did get two 99 scores from the judges, and i think you deserved them. :)

Dont stop writing AAR´s, it would be a shame not to have you as a autor here!

I thank you for competing, congratulate you to your 3rd Place, and i wish you all the best!

Alerias, I'd like to congratulate you for making the top 3 in the contest. You were my #1 from the moment I started reading the AAR. Planck's Brazil AAR came close, but even though you already had youur five chapters rather early and did not continue updating later you had me hooked. While the gameplay and writing in itself aren't that spectacular I loved the fluent writing that sucked me into the story. Wanting to recreate Byzantium, yeah, that'll have gotten you a few extra points as well. ;) I hope you have fun with whatever you buy with your prize and that you continue writing AARs all over AARland in the future!

Alerias, as with the other AARs I've commented on, I'll drop my judging comments from the contest in here, so you can see them if you're not watching the other thread, and so your readers can see:

Alerias' Legend of the Marble Emperor, I ranked it 2nd. I wouldn't have placed it ahead of Tanzhang's except that every time I thought, "this guy's quality is as good as Tanzhang's" I was forced to wonder if maybe it was better. And I don't know if I ever decided for sure, except that I had a vague feeling that Alerias' was "cleaner" -- that it was less distracting, and more coherent, which is actually a very important point. Kind of like a liquor that goes down smooth, rather than a little rough -- more refined. I liked his gameplay goals, and his willingness to be patient, while at the same time never letting one wonder if he would drop his goal. At times he succeeded better than expected, and that was great too. My notes: "Impressively done! Research is obvious, good job explaining odd game events in terms of real history. Nice mixing of real history into story." A grand piece of work, really. I'll enjoy the finish of this and look forward to other projects from him.

Rensslaer