• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noblejms

Captain
23 Badges
Jan 27, 2005
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
I've played most of the famous Paradox titles (EU, CK, HOI, Eu:Rome, Vicky) over the past 10 years, and throughout this time I've come to known and respect various developers, designers, and forum moderators, including Johan and King whom we've all become so familiar with. :D

However, there is this one guy who's "quietly" remained with us across all these different games, the main composer for Paradox titles: Andreas Waldetoft.

His music is not only great but also of very consistent quality, independent of the quality of the game that goes with it. For example, Eu:Rome is not so great, but its music tracks are simply epic. It looks like he demands the best from himself whenver he composes anything. :cool:

So who's this guy exactly? Is he working only at Paradox or also working as a conductor in an orchestra? He needs some recognition from us players too!

Sweet, a thread about the Vicky music! Might as well pop in and just mention that I find his use of other songs in his own really mindblowing. In 'Johans Waltz' for example, you can hear bits and pieces of "Blue Danube" (rewritten ofcourse to not sound like the original but it's still there), and in another one you can hear something similar to "The bloom time now comes", which is a traditional Swedish song familiar to all swedes.

"Now we have independance" irked me because it had bits of British grenadiers thrown into it, but not close enough to sing along to.

It keeps a very similar rhythm, and the words still fit fairly well... it could have been titled "Variation on the British Grenadiers."

If only there was some way to influence the music selection (i.e. add a bunch of marches to the music folder, then tell the game to only play when at war).

I really like the music. My favorite is "New World Anthem."

I've always found the original music in paradox games to be the audible equivalent of the horizon-it's there because it has to be, but it's utterly boring.
I liked the music for vicky 1 though since it was all romance-era composers.

I've always found the original music in paradox games to be the audible equivalent of the horizon-it's there because it has to be, but it's utterly boring.
I liked the music for vicky 1 though since it was all romance-era composers.

I hate to say I agree - because Mr. Waldetoft is a talented composer - but I really, really miss the days when Paradox would use actual period music instead. Did they stop because they didn't want to pay licensing fees? I wish they'd reconsider, since surely Paradox has more money now than when they released games like EU2 and Victoria 1!

Was he recruited through the forum?

Hehe no, I just heard so much nice things about you guys here so I decided to join in on the fun. I was reqruited by Fredrik, mind you this was along time ago so he was in charge of music among other things back then and did not have the fancy title of CEO. :)

Thanks for all the feedback, both good and bad.

//Andreas

Last edited:
My favourite is 'A Day At The Court'. It reminds me of Boccherini/Master And Commander

I also like the first 1:20 of Buckingham Palace. Then the Wagnerian bombast starts, meh.

If you are on this forum I'd really like to know what your reasons and background were for each piece.

Edit: Great! You are on this forum. I really like the more melancholic songs of your soundtrack like Countryside and the violin part of Winter.

Last edited:
Hehe no, I just heard so much nice things about you guys here so I decided to join in on the fun. I was reqruited by Fredrik, mind you this was along time ago so he was in charge of music among other things back then and did not have the fancy title of CEO. :)

//Andreas

So was it you or Frederik that had the infamous falalan in EU2? On a side note, i used that sound track to help my medieval castles presentation in the 4th grade. (Growing up with paradox games, gives me an in depth, but slightly buggy knowledge of history)

//Andreas
You haven't "quietly remained with me" at all! You have a section in my MP3 player all to yourself! :p

For example, Eu:Rome is not so great, but its music tracks are simply epic. It looks like he demands the best from himself whenver he composes anything. :cool:

I agree. The Rome music is awesome. And HOI2.
Those are his best games. Vicky2 is a bit behind IMO, it might just be my personal taste?`
Anyhow, im sure he will do a stunning comeback in the expansion :rolleyes:

So was it you or Frederik that had the infamous falalan in EU2? On a side note, i used that sound track to help my medieval castles presentation in the 4th grade. (Growing up with paradox games, gives me an in depth, but slightly buggy knowledge of history)

I don't think Mr. Waldetoft was working with Paradox in any way at that point. Falalalan is a 15 century Castilian folk song, and the EU2 version was performed by a Swedish recreationist/reneissance music group.

CK was the first major Paradox title not to use authentic historical songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.