• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(157789)

Major
1 Badges
Aug 23, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron III
As this is my first AAR here Im not entirely sure how to do this. I have read a great deal but have recently been heavily influenced in my decision of an AAR from Resistance : Fall of Man - An Oral History, It is a great read and regards to Treize V for writing so skillfully. Now this AAR, as many of you have no doubt guessed is about Germany in the Modern Day Scenario 2 mod.

The basis was and always had been to establish a new German Empire, not stretching over Europe but over parts of Africa and the extent of the original German Empire's borders in Poland and over Konigsberg. Thanks to Russia, by the date I was planning to begin this AAR, everything I had planned was thrown out the window.

I have yet to establish any goals per se but survival and expansion would be good. For the purpose of this AAR I intend to provide a look into the people of the war, rather than offer a textbook account of how the war went.

Therefore, this will be an Oral History. Told largely by various Journals, interviews or news reports. Credit to Treize V for the decision to make this an Oral History. Dont expect many if any at all in game screenshots. For some reason, I have a complete and total inability to take them. You should also know that my knowledge of correct names for various ethnic groups is severely lacking I will do my best to correct this and double check but don't be surprised if there is an error.

Ill try to update often but other commitments are likely to slow me down.

Difficulty : Normal
AI Level : Furious

LieutenantHorn-Berlinruins-09.jpg
Walking through Berlin - July 9 2009
Photo taken by Journalist for Canadian Newspaper​

The Two Fronts

Luftwaffe Air Force Base - Outside Hamburg
Journal of Lieutenant Horn - 1. Korps Special Operations
July 3 2007

Command is finally giving us orders to move. The damn Russians declared war on us and Europe in April. It seems like only yesterday. Has it really been over 2 months ? I almost wouldn’t believe you if you told me. Regardless, were finally going to be mounting an attack on Kaliningrad. General Kessler has informed the entire Korps that Konigsberg is the only threat that Germany and the EU face from Russia. Their forces there would be prepared to attack us if they received aircraft or even transports. How could Putin have planned this for so long ?

Wolfgang in Intelligence tells me that continuous, daily bombardments against Konigsberg will have sufficiently weakened the Russian forces. We’ll find out when we drop in. If the Russians are truly fighting with their outdated equipment, then Ill bless Merkel for giving us our modern equipment. Shame that we still lack a modern navy and air force, I’m sure they would help us in our war.

No one even seems to know why Russia declared war on us. They had no one in Belarus when we hammered those bastards for murdering 7 of our men. I still can’t believe they were so indiscriminate. We had informed them that we were in that village. There was a damned truce. Yet still those sons of bitches flew over and bombed their targets. A few air strikes in retaliation and boom. Russia feels threatened somehow. Nobody wanted this ….but … well ….here we are.

Were expected to strike on Konigsberg within the month. The rest of the EU have completely bypassed it. Greece of all damn members of the EU has landed in St Petersburg. Greece ! Maybe they’ll be able to do something before the snow falls. Do they even have snow in Greece ?

Chinese Military Base - Near Hong Kong
Recovered Journal of Colonel Xi Bi Hung - Unidentified Unit
July 3 2007

We’ve been held back from Taiwan still by the American air force. Those fools think they can keep Taiwan safe ? Ha ! We’ll walk over all of them. Especially with the Russians aiding us. Some of the men below me have been speaking of the German guarantee of Taiwan’s independence. It’s not like Germany to suddenly take a step into the world. Last time they did ….well we all know what happened. It forever changed the world.

No matter, they are but a shadow of their former self while China has only grown stronger and greater. America and their President, John Kerry are doing worse than we had expected. We were expecting determined resistance in Afghanistan. On the contrary, we’ve already captured Kabul and have been welcomed as liberators by all of the countries inhabitants according to the news.

The Russians are having to make a mad dash back to Europe while the US skips across their islands like they did with Japan in the second world war. The Great War, The Patriotic War …what name will this one get ? The Red War ? The Final War ? The War of Wars ? Only time will tell. I think that Ill bring this up with my wife on my next leave. I’ve become tired of the constant orders to man the transports … and then to disembark.

My son Chao is still growing. I look forward to seeing him as a man. Ziyi still needs to find herself a husband. Though I here that she is in company with a man often. I’m sure I’ll find out more when I get home. Perhaps most of all I -

<< Remainder of Page burned. US Air strike probable cause. Reports confirm Colonel Xi Bi Hung was killed along with 34 other soldiers in the strike. Politburo concealing casualties from Air Strikes >>

Completed AAR​

Last edited:
There are few MDS AAR's, even less german ones :p Good Luck!

Let's hope that this MDS AAR doesn't end in the void ;)

Interesting concept. AND GERMANY

I shall be watching.

Kurt_Stiener I dont plan on letting this one be abandoned. Hopefully no technical issues will impede me.

XHR I intend to :D

Alexus Thanks

Expect the next update today.

Nice concept, keep it going.

Expansion​

CNN News Broadcast - Live from Tehran
Anne Young - Middle East Correspondent
July 27 2007

[Ayatollah Ali Khamenei takes to the podium with President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad flanking him. The room is filled with reporters and cameras. Flashes from cameras are near constant. The Ayatollah takes his place and drinks a glass of water]

[He begins his speech and after three seconds a translator overlaps his voice]

We have witnessed the newest round of destruction in this new war. The Russian and Chinese, our esteemed and valiant friends have been brutally attacked by two separate alliances of ignorance, arrogance and hate. It is time that we and our allies in North Korea join this alliance. We shall liberate the prisoners in Gaza from Israeli aggression.

When the Middle East is free, we shall take our place alongside our allies in Europe and in Asia. We will overcome our enemies and bring about a free and united world. All foreign nationals within Iran will be given 24 hours to leave the country. After that they will be arrested as enemies of the state.

God willing, Iran will triumph alongside her allies and a new world will begin free from hatred, aggression and ignorance.

[Translator stops speaking. Noises can be heard in the background]

Allah Ew Akbar !

[Chanting supposedly starts. Camera swings round and shows dozens of reporters grabbing their gear. Camera turns off]

Camp ‘History‘ - Kaliningrad
Journal of Lieutenant Horn - 1. Korps Special Operations - 1st Brigade
July 28 2007

We did it ! The Russkies didn’t know what hit them. At 0600 we dropped in. We could already see the country side was smoking. The air strikes had been so efficient that the Russians had retreated into Kaliningrad to hide amongst civilians. By the time we arrived, they were just about ready to throw in the towel.

Our advance was amazing. We encountered little other than some draft militia as we neared Kaliningrad. Still my platoon did loose 3 men to those militia armed with any AKs the Russians had handed out. A few of em had RPGs but they made for little more than target practice.

By 01330 we had reached Kaliningrad. We moved into the city from the east and north. Our advance was slow at first despite our superior equipment and undoubtedly better equipment. The commanders wanted caution. Despite several small ambushes around the city there fear’s proved almost unfounded. At least until we reached the Zoo.
My own Platoon was advancing into it when we received word of multiple ambushes springing up across our line of advance. Then … well the Russian’s attacked. But it wasn’t just them …they released the animals into the zoo. I don’t know who gave the order …I doubt I’ll ever find out. But I hope he rots in hell.

The Russians had sealed off the exit to the park after we went inside. Controlled explosives. The first sign we got that something was wrong was when he moved through the section for mammals. The Giraffes were wondering about, eating whatever trees and bushes they could. We did our best to avoid them and got through that okay. It was as we carried on that things got worse.

The Gorillas and all the Apes were the ones who attacked us first. The big Silverback was walking around when he heard one of the Privates talking. A Dozen Gorillas running and screaming at you can cause a panic. Luckily we didn’t run. We just started shooting.

Have you ever seen a man have his arms ripped off by a Chimpanzee ? What about a Gorilla tearing into someone’s face with their teeth ? It was a nightmare. I won't even bring up what the Bears did. As we advanced we just shot anything that even looked at us. We probably shot half the animals in there. The only thing that would have eaten us, that I remember not shooting was a Snow Leopard. One of the men told me it was bad luck to kill one. I thought we had worse enough luck already.

2473724623_03c4fd5783.jpg

One of the Bears in the Kaliningrad Zoo.

When we got out …the Russians were waiting and immediately opened up with their armour and ak’s. We lost about a third of our platoon just going through that zoo. Another 3 to the Russians outside with 4 more wounded.

Konigsberg is ours again. 127 Dead in the Operation. 436 Wounded.

If this is a taste of what is to come …then god help us because I don’t think anyone else can.

Last edited:
Nice concept, keep it going.

Thanks !

---

I’ve changed the AI to Furious because the AI is letting the EU troops in it’s northeast go on a rampage.

For future reference, Every Brigade consists of 5,000 men in following of NATO standard and every armoured division consists of 300 tanks. Every Aircraft Flight consists of 4 Aircraft.

Im also going to work on having updates within a closer span of time. At current my updates are skipping ahead months while their is little activity. I may also change the update style at the start of the next chapter to something I'm more comfortable with. It would be updates more similair to an actual story rather than interviews and journals. They'll still be present but not for the most part. If anyone has any quams about that just let me know and I'll reconsider. I'm also going to try to get you all some pictures to show how the war is going.

---

The Eagle Awakes​

Tape > 1009283789 - Recording - British Intelligence
Reichstag - Berlin
September 22 2008

>> Unidentified : And Operation Rommel is prepared ?
>> Chancellor Angela Merkel : Yes. The Generals inform me that it will be launched within 24 hours.
>> Unidentified : Good. What about the war in Russia ?
>> General Hans-Otto Budde : EU troops have managed to capture Moscow. They’re finally starting to meet some real resistance from the Russians. We expect that they will be driven out eventually. Were just not sure on when.
>> Unidentified : So, Putin decided to betray me and this is the result. Germany suffered tremendously the last time we invaded Russia. With their amount of Nukes, I don’t think a repeat would be a wise idea. Belarus on the other hand needs to be dealt with. They have German Blood on their hands and that is unacceptable.
>> Chancellor Angela Merkel : What about Poland and the rest of the EU ? How long are we meant to keep up this act ?
>> Unidentified : Poland and the EU should remain as they are. Keep on as you have been, though gradually repeal the laws restricting the Armed Forces. We need them be brought up fully. How is the formation of the IV Korps going ? Will they be ready by 2010 ?
>> General Hans-Otto Budde : Earlier. We expect mid 2009 before it is fully up to strength.
>> Unidentified : Good. III Korps will also need some work done. We have much to do … and little time waste.

Last edited:
Dont expect any screens until the end of Chapter 1. Ive begun Chapter 2 already and only recently found out that, unlike most games, Im able to take screenshots in HoI 2.

The Dogs of War

Italian Air Force Base - Southern Italy
Letter Home From Maj. General Meyer - 4. Luftwaffesquadron ‘Old Dogs’
September 25 2008

We’ve been hammering the Liby’s and Algae’s for months now. I can’t give many details to you babe, but the news isn’t saying that we invaded Libya on the 23. It took the General’s in the army awhile to plan it out you see. Especially after their last two landings. 2 Invasions repulsed by Libyans and Algerians ….somewhat embarrassing don’t you think ?
Well don’t worry about the men down their know. You know I’ve got their backs and as for me ? These Africans haven’t got anything to knock us out of the air ! Not a damn thing. At this rate, well have victory in North Africa within a month or so. The men leading the expedition are going to be those Para’s from Konigsberg. Their getting all of the ‘first in’ assignments nowadays. I tell you I don’t envy those poor bastards.

At least this time were going in heavy. Command has brought an armoured unit away from Belarus. We still need to get back at those guys. Maybe I’ll be shipped off their next. I can’t tell right now at least. But that’s not the point. These Leopard 2A6’s are bad sons o’ guns. So don’t you worry about the war alright ? It’s not going to reach Hamburg. It won’t even reach Poland at this rate.

I love you baby but I’ve got to get back in my cockpit alright. Were bombing the Africans day and night.

Love you,
John Meyer

Tape > I309E93H03G82 - Recording - German Intelligence
Volgograd State University - Volgograd
December 24 2008

>> Vladimir Putin : This is worse than when the Germans invaded us in the Second World War !
(Sound of breaking glass - Assumed vodka glass thrown at wall)
>> Anatoliy Serdyukov [Minister of Defence] : The Europeans our advancing on us now. With Moscow and St Petersburg taken, they’ve essentially bypassed our natural defences. Were putting up a fight but I don’t know when well drive them out.
>> Vladimir Putin [Slurred Speech] : Well what can we do ? The whole world is stepping on our throats and the German dogs who bombed our men in Belarus aren’t even coming onto the battlefield … What about the rest of the world ?
>> Sergey Shoygu : Libya has been taken by Germany and Algeria has been annexed by France.
>> Vladimir Putin : So the Chinese know how to pick strong allies ?
(Laughter)
>> Anatoliy Serdyukov : South America is practically lost. Cuba has surrendered and Argentina has been annexed. Venezuela is doing well however. The Middle East is little better of a situation. Georgia has advanced exponentially with the help of Coalition forces and they’re moving straight to us. Iran is holding the Coalition though they aren’t making progress.
>> Vladimir Putin : East Asia ?
>> Anatoliy Serdyukov : A Stalemate.
>> Vladimir Putin : Merry Christmas …
(Silence for several seconds)
>> Sergey Shoygu : There is a possibility to it all.
>> Anatoliy Serdyukov : Sergei and I have been discussing one of the more common phrases used by our enemies. ‘Cut off the head, and the body dies’
>> Vladimir Putin : Are you suggesting what I think you are ?
(Sound of door opening)
>> Unidentified : We’ve received reports of incoming EU aircraft. Were moving you to a secure location farther inland.
>> Vladimir Putin : Who is it now ? The French ?
>> Unidentified : Possibly. Were not sure. If you’ll come with me.
(Targets leave Room. End Recording)

EuropeanTheatreEarly2009.jpg

Europe in Early 2009

Last edited:
I just love your style of writing. Diary reports, taped inteligence, news broadcast, military reports... it throws you directly in the story among the soldiers. In typical gameplay AAR there are only map images and you see only game, but this is totaly diffrent story. Keep up this style please! I'm following every update.

Fireaxe888 : No, as Hastatii pointed out, that is actually Greece. Somehow the Greeks decided to land and have just (literally) thrown every military unit, along with Spain, Italy and possibly France, against the Russians. The Chinese AI has given all of its units to Russia to fend of the EU. Iran has also given the Russian AI alot of units but has left itself dangerously open.

Hastatii : Indeed it is. The darker blue is France. They decided to land in the colder spots.

Asalto : Thanks. Ill keep this style of writing then, but I may mix it up every now and then. Im also going to have another update today because Im not sure if Ill be able to post over the next few days or for a little while. I'll do my best to make time. :)

An OOC update for the Alliances :

EU - Germany (had to go first :p), France, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Denmark, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Belgium.

Shanghai Pact
- Russia, China, India, Iran, Vietnam, Laos, North Korea, Venezuela, Cuba(US Occupied), Argentina(Australian Occupied), Algeria(French Occupied), Libya(German Occupied), Syria(Turkey, US, Israeli Occupied), Angola, Zimbabwe.

Coalition - US, Australia, Britain, Afghanistan(Chinese Occupied), Israel, Georgia.

Expect the Update soon.

The End of the the Two Year War

German News Network - Berlin
John Doe - Anchor
February 7 2009

3299061572_a9cf7d749c_o.jpg

“The images you are seeing, are from …what used to be San Diego. That is a Nuclear Detonation …we aren’t sure how it managed to penetrate NORAD defences but with the collapse of NATO it is unclear if the missile slipped past NORAD defences in Canada or if this is a new type of Missile. What is certain is that ….the entire city is gone”

“We can see below us that the US Army is scrambling towards San Diego to mount an emergency expedition to rescue any survivors. Were being ordered to clear the airspace so we can’t move our chopper any closer but …I’m getting word now that nuclear explosions have occurred in Dallas, Philadelphia and New York ….we have no information on what action the United States will take in response or the world, for that matter but …”

>> WE INTERRUPT YOUR REGULAR PROGRAMING
>> …
>> PLEASE REMAIN CALM
>> …
>> CIVILIANS ARE TOO TAKE COVER WITHIN THEIR HOMES
>> …
>> BUNDESWEHR RESERVES REPORT TO YOUR NEAREST BASE
>> …
>> PLEASE REMAIN CALM

NuclearWar.jpg

Noes! Nukes all over!!

Im in, this is great writing!