• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well I see you've continued your steady pace of updates during my absence...

I plan to be all caught up one of these days soon, canonized. Of that there can be no doubt!

And now, for something completely different...

Chapter 17 Of Wolves and Lions

Then Time: Renault de Fraonsac escapes the interrogation room during the confusion of the wolves' attack. He sees what we know to be a modern flamethrower and hears semi-automatic gunfire. He heads deeper into the complex to where the Timepiece is kept on a dais. After carefully lifting the Timepiece, quicksand rushes in. Renault improvises a platform from the candle holders and floats above the rising sand, up to a corridor in the roof which leads to the surface.
Antonio and gang confront the Yakuza leader, Oedo, after laying waste to the stronghold. A foreign samurai with a Chinese sword enters. Jakob de Witt confronts the foreign wolf man with a pistol and a mail glove. The wolf man tricks Jakob into shooting too soon. As he advances with his sword, Jakob throws the mail glove at the wolf man who parries it with his sword. The sparks ignite gunpowder in the glove which explodes. The shrapnel kills the wolf man.
Cardinal de Witt congratulates Renault. Renault asks to go to California to investigate mistreatment of the natives. He is to meet another agent, Agent 99, sorry, Carmen, in San Diego who will help with the investigation. The Schwarzschild Guild are the first to be investigated.
Now time: Fr Francis and Duke Jimenes discuss the anachronistic munitions (S Ind bullet) found in the Mecca chambers.
Rodrigo is evasive about the mysterious phone call. He goes to speak to the Lions officer in charge, Capt. de Witt. Tom traces the call back to Schwarzschild Industries.
Game Concepts: Obviously Schwarzschild is not just a coincidence.
Post modern in game jokes: Indiana Jones reference to removel of timepiece (lots of Indy jokes with Renault), Where in the world is Carmen San Diego (pre-teen computer game from the 1980's).
Shower scenes: Move along, nothing to see here.

I'm not sure where you could come up with fished faced opponents for the Spaniards... unless fish-face becomes an insult against the Dutch in Timelines...

Admiral De Ruyter: It's a trap! :D

ROFL . Now there's a great idea XD .

Well I see you've continued your steady pace of updates during my absence...

I plan to be all caught up one of these days soon, canonized. Of that there can be no doubt!

I'm very glad and honoured :D Glad to see you back in action ! We've missed you :D

And now, for something completely different...

Chapter 17 Of Wolves and Lions

Then Time: Renault de Fraonsac escapes the interrogation room during the confusion of the wolves' attack. He sees what we know to be a modern flamethrower and hears semi-automatic gunfire. He heads deeper into the complex to where the Timepiece is kept on a dais. After carefully lifting the Timepiece, quicksand rushes in. Renault improvises a platform from the candle holders and floats above the rising sand, up to a corridor in the roof which leads to the surface.
Antonio and gang confront the Yakuza leader, Oedo, after laying waste to the stronghold. A foreign samurai with a Chinese sword enters. Jakob de Witt confronts the foreign wolf man with a pistol and a mail glove. The wolf man tricks Jakob into shooting too soon. As he advances with his sword, Jakob throws the mail glove at the wolf man who parries it with his sword. The sparks ignite gunpowder in the glove which explodes. The shrapnel kills the wolf man.
Cardinal de Witt congratulates Renault. Renault asks to go to California to investigate mistreatment of the natives. He is to meet another agent, Agent 99, sorry, Carmen, in San Diego who will help with the investigation. The Schwarzschild Guild are the first to be investigated.
Now time: Fr Francis and Duke Jimenes discuss the anachronistic munitions (S Ind bullet) found in the Mecca chambers.
Rodrigo is evasive about the mysterious phone call. He goes to speak to the Lions officer in charge, Capt. de Witt. Tom traces the call back to Schwarzschild Industries.
Game Concepts: Obviously Schwarzschild is not just a coincidence.
Post modern in game jokes: Indiana Jones reference to removel of timepiece (lots of Indy jokes with Renault), Where in the world is Carmen San Diego (pre-teen computer game from the 1980's).
Shower scenes: Move along, nothing to see here.

Haha , ahh yes , I should use Get Smart sometime XD I watched it when I was a little kid although I never really got the comedy as much as I just loved spy gadgets XD Great summary of the Summary XD it's posted up and now that you've caught up i should write more summaries for you to shamelessly tear apart for no shower scenes =( .

Chapter 18 Summary: Schwarzschild

Davout's Salient Facts said:
Chapter 18 Schwarzchild (hereinafter the Schwarz)

Then Time: 1582, Renault de Fronsac is in a bustling, burgeoning So Cal. Chinese and Japanese immigrants are flocking in and have even set up a Chinatown in San Fran. Renault is working with the beautiful Carmen, a widow dedicated to helping improve the Indians' lot after her husband's murder during an uprising. Carmen takes Renault to a quarry where Indian workers are maltreated. The head henchman, a German, resists Renault's order to close the quarry, noting that they are strong with the Schwarz. Renault flashes his Lion badge and they reluctantly agree.

10 days later, Renault's 2 floozies and his man servant, Amin, have arrived but the floozies soon depart because Carmen isn't interested in a menage a quatre. Carmen is treating Renault's fleshwounds after a recent encounter with 'bandits', Schwarz men trying to stop Renault's do-gooding. Renault goes to bed. He is woken by the horses' neighs. Amin and Carmen also enter the room. Renault looks down from his window and sees strange men killing the horses...... and eating their flesh. EEP!!!

Now Time: Tom can't sleep. His reflects on his alternate reality world with its fragmented states and being less technologically advanced than the real world. He looks out at the beach and the ocean, and sees a Lion guard relaxing on a chair. The guard's head falls off, and a strange man approaches. Zombies!?!

Game concepts: Carmen ends up being a minor recurring character. She is most competent and straight laced. My only 2 criticism are - since when is 36 old, young canonized. I would jump a 36 year old brunette any day of the week, if only they would stand still. And she never has a shower, from what I have scene. The Schwarz's badness is filled out a bit more. We also learn there was a Great War in the 20th Century, but not as we know it, Jim.

Postmodern in game humour: None that I could see but I stand corrected. (we already did Kit in the Jerusalem summary)

Shower scenes: 36 year olds bathe too, you know. Could it have killed you to have had Carmen wash her long dark hair as the water cascaded over her lithe, yet experienced body.

Chapter XVIII said:
Blood was already pooling as the screeching of the horses continued. They saw figures of men impaling and… disembowling the poor innocent creatures mercilessly. Quickly looking to his left, Renault saw that Kit was still on his far side of the stable kicking violently attempting to break free almost in foreknowledge of the impending danger.

Amin and Carmen quickly broke away from the pane and began to run down the stairs to engage these merciless bandits. But Renault was still frozen. In that split second before he decided to run down he had noticed something from the other dead horses which made his eyes widen in unbelievable terror. Hunched over above them as they tore away the flesh, these fiendish creatures held some of the entrails in their hands and then brought it to their faces. They were eating the horses…

Scene 1

15 February 1582

Renault is now in Orange County. He notes how there are many Asian merchants along the Spanish controlled West Coast. We meet Carmen, a former school teacher turned Spanish agent after the death of her husband due to an Indian uprising. They sight workmen in the desert who are using slave labour from Mexican Indians to complete their mining operations. Earlier, they had been received by the mayor and Constable and was given access to information about the various industries in the town of Orange. Renault now orders the men at the mining facility to close down. They will take the Indians back to town and give them actual jobs. The quarry men say that they are protected by the powerful Schwarzschild Guild (which happened to deal in human trafficking). Renault shows his Imperial badge and the men reluctantly leave allowing Carmen to rally the workers and begin the trip back to Orange.

Scene 2

25 February 1582

Renault, Amin, and Carmen are in the Boarding House where Carmen did most of her social work. She is tending to a wound that Renault has suffered. Earlier, he had been attacked by “bandits.” He had been under harassment by “bandits” as of late. Renault decides to go to bed. During the night, there is a wheezing sound and the cries of the horses wakes Renault up. All three go to investigate and they see figures disemboweling horses (Kit is next it seemed). Amin and Carmen go down to engage the bandits, but Renault sees that they were not just murderous bandits… they were eating the horses.

Interlude

Midnight struck for Tom. Tom is musing about corporations and notes how in his alternate past and present, the world would not have been as technologically and economically advanced compared to his globalised economic world of Spain. He notes how in his alternate timeline, the “United States” and “USSR” would have developed nukes five years after Spain had developed it in the OTL. He approaches the window and gazes out at the bay of Norfolk. One of the beach chairs was there along with one of the “Lions” set to protect the safe house.

He watched the figure of the man relaxing and then saw that there was another shadow rising from where the Lion was obstructing his view. The Lion’s head suddenly fell off his body and dropped to the sands. The shadow approached the sliding door and all he could see of it was its decaying flesh and its awkward joints…

Chapter 19 Summary: ZOMBIES?! (coming soon)

Last edited:
Carmen? Zombies? Man, if I knew you watched The Sopranos I'd be sooo happy about what this could mean. Alas, you're a Sopranos infidel :p

Haha , I do love the things the summaries trigger XD

How can one even be a Sopranos infidel?

Spain developing Nukes, that seems unreasonable. I'm imagining they'd be a Religious civilization in the Spore sense, with giant broadcasting megaphones attached to their galleons "Convert convert convert".

Spain developing Nukes, that seems unreasonable. I'm imagining they'd be a Religious civilization in the Spore sense, with giant broadcasting megaphones attached to their galleons "Convert convert convert".

Nukes are like the Holy Fire of God :p

There's actually going to be some interesting things surrounding the nuclear programme considering the morality of the issue . It's going to be something i'm going to have fun playing with and toying about XD AT least when we finally get to the HOI2 section which will probably be a while and by then it'll probably be the HOI3 section XD

Nukes are like the Holy Fire of God :p

Maybe I should make a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch XD

Most definitely. For the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is the only force holy enough to defeat the Rabbit...:D

There's actually going to be some interesting things surrounding the nuclear programme considering the morality of the issue . It's going to be something i'm going to have fun playing with and toying about XD AT least when we finally get to the HOI2 section which will probably be a while and by then it'll probably be the HOI3 section XD

Man, you must make a General Elidio or something commander of a tanks division. He can be the new Rommel :p
(I like the idea of commanding a destructive force, ok? :p)

Man, you must make a General Elidio or something commander of a tanks division. He can be the new Rommel :p

Will he also have bad facial hair?:p

Most definitely. For the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is the only force holy enough to defeat the Rabbit...:D

It would make an awesome artifact XD Grenadiers after all , right ? XD

Will he also have bad facial hair?:p

ROFL . That's right , he has to have terrible facial hair XD though apparently he shaved recently .

Update coming sometime tomorrow . You guys are going to LOVE the special surprise tucked in the next one :D

Special surprise? Not again naked men in my shower, I hope? :mad:

:D

There's actually going to be some interesting things surrounding the nuclear programme considering the morality of the issue .

Nonsense.

If you have no qualms using grenades, then you shouldn't have any qualms developing nukes.

The morality problems really only started AFTER the first use, since only after that have people (gradually) come to realise that nuclear weapons are not "just another bomb". If there should be morality issues with nukes any more than with other weapons at all.

As I have noted in an earlier summary, the Spanish here have developed a somewhat skewed morality in that if it is for the benefit of Spain's projection of power, an action is ipso facto good - or if it is not good, it is at least God's will that Spain do the action as Spain is an instrument of God's Will (Deus vult). On that basis, putting to one side the stultifying effect that a lack of competition between nations has on scientific development, if Spain sought to develop nuclear technology, it would have no compunction about using this technology in a military role to advance Spain's, and therefore God's, purpose. To think otherwise is to adopt Tom Royce's position of challenging the moral validity of Spain's conduct since Perpignan.

I promised you some comments about season ones finale after the christmas, and I always keep my promises! Sooner or later at least. :p

Anyway, the season ones finale. It was a fun climax and one thing that struck me was clear demonstration of Timepieces supernatural abilities. It had been hinted throughout the season more and more frequently, but now we got first hand to see that Timepiece clearly is not of this world. All that later part of the black holes and different universes got beyond me, but I'm sure there comes more of that later.

As you know I haven't gotten to be on forums as much as I've liked during the years start, but I've also gotten through interseason showcases and started season two now. All looks interesting and I'm looking forward to see what this new band of characters will be like.

There was also nice change of perspective at the start of season two, when we got again to see more of the "bigger picture" of what was going and political situation in Europe, when latter half of first season had mostly concentrated on our protagonists own adventures.

:D:D:D Now I'm pumped! :D

Good XD I'm definitely primed to deliver :D

Special surprise? Not again naked men in my shower, I hope? :mad:

:D

Haha , no . It'll be something even more shocking !

Nonsense.

If you have no qualms using grenades, then you shouldn't have any qualms developing nukes.

The morality problems really only started AFTER the first use, since only after that have people (gradually) come to realise that nuclear weapons are not "just another bomb". If there should be morality issues with nukes any more than with other weapons at all.

The key difference between the use of certain kinds of bombs and others is the level of civilian casualties that are incurred . To that end , it would be highly immoral to start slaughtering civilians . This is , however , mitigated by the doctrine of Total War which is something to grapple with . However , the nuke kills more than just the workers in the factories , it also kills children and subjects people to horrendous deaths decades later as well as sterility etc . I want to make this issue a hotbed issue for the HOI3 section . It'll be fun to have the characters grapple with .

As I have noted in an earlier summary, the Spanish here have developed a somewhat skewed morality in that if it is for the benefit of Spain's projection of power, an action is ipso facto good - or if it is not good, it is at least God's will that Spain do the action as Spain is an instrument of God's Will (Deus vult). On that basis, putting to one side the stultifying effect that a lack of competition between nations has on scientific development, if Spain sought to develop nuclear technology, it would have no compunction about using this technology in a military role to advance Spain's, and therefore God's, purpose. To think otherwise is to adopt Tom Royce's position of challenging the moral validity of Spain's conduct since Perpignan.

One of the reasons is that we're not sure why the Spanish want to take over the world at all . Most of you have been assuming that it's been a bid for power . I won't reveal as to the reasoning , but Spain would not have went on the warpath were it not for certain reasons . I'll give you a hint . The others have something to do with it XD

I promised you some comments about season ones finale after the christmas, and I always keep my promises! Sooner or later at least. :p

Anyway, the season ones finale. It was a fun climax and one thing that struck me was clear demonstration of Timepieces supernatural abilities. It had been hinted throughout the season more and more frequently, but now we got first hand to see that Timepiece clearly is not of this world. All that later part of the black holes and different universes got beyond me, but I'm sure there comes more of that later.

As you know I haven't gotten to be on forums as much as I've liked during the years start, but I've also gotten through interseason showcases and started season two now. All looks interesting and I'm looking forward to see what this new band of characters will be like.

There was also nice change of perspective at the start of season two, when we got again to see more of the "bigger picture" of what was going and political situation in Europe, when latter half of first season had mostly concentrated on our protagonists own adventures.

Huzzah ! Season I under your belt :D I'm glad you're enjoying the perspective change . Definitely a big step with the Timepiece revealing a little bit about what it does in those chapters . The Black Hole stuff you don't need to worry too much about , though you could talk to forzaa about what he got out of it since he's our resident scientist XD . We're very glad you're back , JF ! Hope you enjoy S2 :D

The key difference between the use of certain kinds of bombs and others is the level of civilian casualties that are incurred . To that end , it would be highly immoral to start slaughtering civilians . This is , however , mitigated by the doctrine of Total War which is something to grapple with . However , the nuke kills more than just the workers in the factories , it also kills children and subjects people to horrendous deaths decades later as well as sterility etc . I want to make this issue a hotbed issue for the HOI3 section . It'll be fun to have the characters grapple with .

horrendous deaths decades later was UTTERLY UNKNOWN, likewise with sterility etc.
This is NOT a moral consideration during development.

What WAS known was that the atomic bomb would likely be *powerful*, or to put it differently, a very efficient explosive.

Nation in arms, total war, etc. are developments separate from the development of the atomic bomb.

When the atomic bomb was developed, it was deemed an *efficient* alternative to carpet bombing /firestorm bombing. Certainly, there are (can be) moral issues with these.... But to link the moral issues with the atomic bomb is a major case of projection; the nuke-specific morality issues only *started* at the very end of the development cycle.

Ok, I'll admit, grenades was maybe not the right example.
A siege would've been, though (unless you're claiming that the besiegers were typically letting food for children through :p)

And I maintain that Spain "gazed too long into the abyss"