• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Edzako said:
huh I like this update, now Imperator has one willing partner to share his success(or defeats). Are you planning an rebelion against Japan ? Maybe secret allianse with comunists ?

For Pu Yi to reach his goal, rebellion against Japan is a given. If they had any inkling of a Qing restoration it would have been Nanking North. As for the Russians,(and I will assume you are talking about them when you say communists) not so much alliance as mutually beneficial agreements. And as for partners. All three are willing, some are just wondering if Pu Yi has become touched in the head. ;)

Edzako said:
hmm, you want to disband your perfectly organized militia army ? that odd, militias's is so cool, with what do you want to replace them ? Mountaineers, cavalry, vanilla infantry, maybe import some armored yaks from Tibet ?

Why, Imperial Guard. What else would I replace them with. :D Alas, I have yet to be able to steel the top secret plans for the infamous "Panser-Yak" from Tibet. Reting Rempoche's security is impenatrable. ;)

Chapter 2

The Will of the Gods

October 17th, 1935…

Yokoyama Masayuki stared out the window of the transport as it left behind the Korean peninsula and headed out over the East China Sea towards Japan. He was still at a loss as to the reason he had been recalled to Tokyo, but he would find out soon enough.

“Perhaps they are going to reassign you to a combat command what with the pending hostilities in China”, said his aide, who was sitting beside him going over some briefings that he had prepared for Yokoyama.

“Perhaps”, replied Yokoyama, “but that certainly does not constitute an emergency.”

Yokoyama was pondering this and looking forward to seeing his family which he had not seen in over a year when the co-pilot came through the cabin door. “Sir, we are experiencing engine trouble. We are going to have to turn around and head back to Busan.”

“Is it serious?” asked Yokoyama.

There was a muffled explosion that rocked the plane and threw the co-pilot to the deck. Yokoyama looked out his window to see smoke pouring from the starboard engine. The co-pilot lurched to his feet and ran back towards the cockpit. Yokoyama got up and made his way forward. He reached the cockpit to find both pilots wrestling with the controls of the plane.

“Are we going to make it?” asked Yokoyama in as calm a voice as he could muster.

“Sir, that engines on fire. If it reaches the fuel lines…”, the engine suddenly flared and exploded sending Yokoyama tumbling to the deck. As Yokoyama tried to pull himself up, the plane bucked again and went into a steep dive. He now knew he was not going to see his family ever again.

November 3rd, 1935…

Sergei Ramilcheff stood on the rolling deck of the small fishing trawler starring through his binoculars at the coastline of Andong province. To his left he could barely make out the silhouette of the Dalian peninsula. “Right there” he said as he pulled his eyes from the binoculars to look down at the map his aide was holding. He pointed to the spot on the map that he had been observing. “Mark that spot right there.”

“Why?” asked the aide, “There is no place to land troops there.”

“No, but it’s a great place for a submarine to send a landing party ashore” said Sergei.

“Why are we wasting our time with this? This serves no purpose what so ever. Amphibious landings in Manchuria, what a joke” the aide said with derision in his voice.

“My Emperor commands and I obey. Besides, I do not believe that this is a complete waste of time. No, we may not ever face an amphibious invasion. That does not mean that we should not be prepared for it. The Emperor is merely being….prudent” Sergei remarked. “And in the future I would practice keeping those kinds of thoughts to myself if you wish to keep your job. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir” said the aide as he marked the spot indicated on the map.

“Tell the pilot to start moving north. I want to finish this up. By Christ’s hairy balls, this wind will rip right through you.” Sergei exclaimed.

The aide turned to the pilot and gave the order to move north. A few moments later they heard screams from below deck and smoke started belching from the hatches. “Fire! There is fire in the engine room!” yelled a crewman who came stumbling on deck.

“Well put it out!” cried Sergei as he started to race aft.

Along the coastline of Andong province a sheep herder peered through the morning gloom while complaining to his dog.

“Why do they do this to me? I treat them right, feed them oats, and yet they pick the worst morning of all to run off”, he said looking down at his dog. The dog whined in reply cocking his head.

“What are you complaining about? This is your fault you know. If you had been doing your job we would not be out here. Now we have to run around through this wind and mist trying to find sheep that you should have been watching” said the herder, pointing an accusing finger at the dog.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a flash out in the middle of the ocean. When he turned to look at what he thought he saw, the mist had rolled across the area obscuring his vision. “And what do you think that was?” the herder asked his dog. The dog whined in reply again looking in the same direction as the man. “You are right. What business of ours, flashing flames on the ocean? We have more important things to worry about. Now find my sheep!” he said as he pointed the dog off through the rolling mist.

Last edited:
ah, updatage. :D

Chapter 2

The Will of the Gods

(Continued)​

November 29th, Imperial Palace…

Pu Yi sat in his private office going over the proposals submitted by Li Shao-Keng for improvements in the industrial sector. From the reports, it would be slow going at first, but the projections out to 1940 looked very promising. General Hsing had begun ordering the militia units back to the capitol for their disbandment. There had been some inquiries from Japanese Kwantung Army HQ, but nothing to really worry about. Chang was in Tokyo, annoying the Japanese Foreign Ministry with territorial claims and hopefully securing his meeting with the soviets.

There was a knock at the private side entrance to Pu Yi’s office. The emperor went and opened the door.

“Good evening you majesty”, said the man as he strode past the emperor.

“I think we can dispense with the formalities. What have you to report?” asked Pu Yi.

The man sat down in one of the chairs across from Pu Yi’s desk, removed his hat and placed it in his lap. “The first two operations were successful.”

“And nothing to point a finger in this direction?” inquired Pu Yi.

“Please sir. I did say they were successful, which means in every sense of the word”, said the man.

“And the rest?” asked the emperor with a hint of worry in his voice.

“Operation Rabbit Hole is ready to commence. All that is needed is for Chin to identify the rabbit. Once that happens, he will be led a merry chase until we determine it is time for the rabbit to be caught. And wont he be surprised when the rabbit turns into the wolf” said the man with some enthusiasm.

“I don’t like the man anymore than you do, but you seem to be enjoying this a bit too much” said Pu Yi.

“Yes. I am going to enjoy this thoroughly, whether your majesty approves or not. And at the end of the chase, when the rabbit becomes the wolf, I will be there to see the look on his face when the realization dawns that he has been made a fool, and a dead fool at that” said the man with scorn in his voice.

The emperor regarded the man across from him and began to have doubts if the bargain he had struck might not come back to haunt him. Pu Yi pushed the thought aside. “And Yoshiko?”

“You need no help from me with that one yet. She is quite happy carrying out your orders. Why, she gets to play spymaster with generous funding. Although, it will be interesting to see you try to justify to her the need to send spies into Japan. Yes, very interesting indeed. As for Operation October Revolution, that will have to wait until we here from Chang” said the man, examining his fingernails.

“Very well, I think we are through here. Make sure you keep me informed on the progress of Operation Rabbit Hole” said Pu Yi.

“Oh, your majesty, I shall be happy to report every last detail of that one. Of that have no doubt” said the man, smiling as he rose and placed his hat back on his head. “Good night your majesty” said the man as he exited through the side door.

Pu Yi stared at the door. “Oh, I have no doubts at all. And that's what worries me.”

I must apologize. I will not be able to update tonight. This also means that there will not be an update until next Wednesday. For all of you that have been following and commenting. Thank you. It has been awhile since I have been able to do any serious writing, and I find that I am really enjoying being able to do it again. For those of you who have been reading only, I also appreciate it as I am almost to 1000 views. We have almost reached gameplay time, which you think would mean an increase in military action. Alas, the action will be mostly of the political intrigue type. Except where it adds to the story, things will move quickly through the boring years. So, stay tuned and I will try to make it worth your while. ;)

Chapter 2

The Will of the Gods

(Continued)​

December 3rd, 1935, Imperial Palace…

Chang Ching-hui sat across the desk for Pu Yi nervously gripping some folders as he waited for his emperor to finish signing the documents to release funds for Kawashima Yoshiko’s growing intelligence agent training program that she had implemented. When Pu Yi had finished going over the last document, he finally raised his head. “I hope your trip went well Chang. I know that these are abysmal conditions to fly in.”

“Well enough, your majesty. Well enough” said Chang with a thin smile on his face.

“Good, good. So, what reports from Tokyo?” said Pu Yi, with a look of expectation.

“I am sorry to report no further progress on the return of our provinces to our rightful control. The Japanese foreign minister cited the need of these provinces as forward staging areas for the Japanese army against expected Chinese aggression”, said Chang. His disappointment was evident.

“Do not be disappointed Chang. I expected no less. My main interest lies in the other matter. Did you make contact?” asked Pu Yi.

“Yes your Majesty. I was able to get to the Soviet embassy and speak with their ambassador”, answered Chang, the distaste evident on his face.

“And?” said Pu Yi, showing some impatience.

Chang reached into one of the folders and extracted a piece of paper and handed it across to Pu Yi. “They have agreed to the meeting your majesty. Here is the time and place.”

Pu Yi looked at the paper. “Excellent, though it does not leave us much time.”

“Your majesty, I must advise against this course of action. These soviets are an oily, untrustworthy lot. It is my belief that we cannot expect them to honor any agreement”, said Chang in some distress.

“They will honor the agreement because it will suit there ends to do so. And if this is what I need to do secure our northern and western borders, then this is what I will do. Please Chang, do not waste your time trying to dissuade me from this course. It has been decided”, said Pu Yi, trying to console his minister. “Go home and see your family. You have been gone for some time now and I am sure they are anxious to see you” said Pu Yi, as he rose and rounded the desk to place a conciliatory hand on Chang’s shoulder.

Chang rose with a heavy sigh as he stared at the floor. “If your majesty believes it to be so, then so must it be”, he said in a resigned voice. He raised his head to look into the eyes of his emperor, “Please your majesty, have a care.” He looked away quickly and made his way to the door.

After Chang had exited, the side entrance door slide quietly open and a man entered the room. Pu Yi looked over to the man, “You heard?”

“Yes your majesty” said the man.

“Good. Operation October Revolution is a go”, Pu Yi handed the paper to the man. “See to the arrangements for the initial meeting.”

The man glanced over the paper. “Not much time. I will gather some of my men and leave immediately.” Without waiting for a dismissal, the man turned and left the room.

Pu Yi walked to the window and stared out into the cold December night. The snow outside was swirling with the rising winds. “The winds of change are blowing. Let us hope we do not get lost in the blizzard.”

good stuff there. and again, what an annoying operational name! it tells so much, but again so little! :D

Excellent, the plot thickens and the momentum grows :)

I'm eager to see the day when Pu Yi's preparation comes into movement ! :cool:

Myth: Glad you are enjoying it. Operation October Revolution will reveal itself shortly. Operation Rabbit Hole though will be a bit longer in developing. Have patience and stay tuned.

Le Ran: The movement is actually now in motion, though most of the play will be of the political intrigue type.

I have to say that having two of my favorite AAR writers commenting in my thread is a definate honor. Your comments and interest continue to spur my efforts. Thank you.

I have to say that having two of my favorite AAR writers commenting in my thread is a definate honor. Your comments and interest continue to spur my efforts. Thank you.
now now, you flatter ;)

Tribolute said:
Nice update... well actually not because you're just keeping me on edge.. bastard.

Do i get flattery now? Cause i'm like... super duper better-than-myth writer aren't i? :rofl:

Aw Tribi, you are way better than Myth dude. I'm, like, stroking his ego, ya know. If I let on how much better I like your writing than his, well, the results could be catastrophic. I am sure a super duper secure dude like yourself can understand. :D

Chapter 2

The Will of the Gods

(Continued)​

December 15th, 1935, Imperial Security HQ…

Chin Chu-han sat at his desk looking through some routine reports concerning internal security matters. Things had been slow of late, although the death of two ministers had perked things up for a bit. But, alas, they seemed to be exactly what they had been reported as, unfortunate accidents. Chin had somewhat recovered in the two months since the confrontation with the emperor, but it still grated on him that the emperor might know something that he did not. Major Li had phoned the day before saying that he had finished with his preliminary investigation of the emperors report and was expected any moment to deliver it. Chin had every reason to believe that the Major had found nothing of importance.

Two hours later there was a knock on the door. In walked a swarthy man with pock marked skin. His left eye, lost in a street brawl with the police when he was younger, was covered by a patch. If there were still pirates in the world, Major Wang Li was certainly one of them. Li had been the leader of a criminal organization in his younger years. He was the proverbial brute, but behind that brutish exterior laid a cunning mind. Chin had pulled Li out of jail after being captured during the brawl with imperial authorities. Chin had offered him one of two choices, work for the Imperial Security Ministry or a slow death in the labor camps. For Li the choice was obvious, especially since Chin encouraged him to keep his criminal contacts for use by the ministry. If Chin and Li profited through these contacts, all the better.

“Good afternoon Major. Things are well with you?” asked Chin as the major sat down in a chair near the wall.

“Well enough Minister, thank you for asking”, said Li as he removed his uniform cap and placed it on the table next to him.

Chin leaned back in his chair. “I assume you are here to tell me that the emperor’s fears of some building revolt were groundless. That little weasel would jump at his own shadow if Chang wasn’t there to hold his hand.”

Major Li looked off into the corner of the room, composing his thoughts. He then looked back at Chin. “That assumption sir may not be entirely correct. I don’t know about a revolt, but the report certainly points in the direction of some…odd occurrences.”

Chin sat up in his chair. His face began to take on that stormy demeanor that happened any time his assumptions were challenged. “Explain yourself Major. And this better be good.”

Li had put up with Chin's blustering in the past and was not fazed by it. “Well, the report does wax eloquent about possible rebellion in one of the outer provinces but does not have a lot of facts to support the claim. What it did have though was some evidence of some very strange dealings between a suspected arms dealer and a small trucking firm in Harbin.”

“Bahhh. So the emperor stumbled on some criminal enterprise between a couple of gangsters and has imagined it into a grand rebellion” chortled Chin waving his hand dismissively.

“I don’t think so sir. I am aware of the majority of the criminal enterprises in the country and I don’t know anything about this. Also, the arms dealer mentioned is one I am aware of but have never had dealings with since he only deals in military grade weapons. This trucking firm would provide and excellent cover to move weapons throughout the country as they do most of their business with the outer provinces. They purportedly deal in farming implements, plows, fertilizer and the like. Nothing we would be involved or interested in”, the major concluded.

“Major, are you telling me that there might really be something going on that we are not aware of!” stormed Chin. “I for one do not believe it.”

“Perhaps sir there is nothing to it, but I would at least like your permission to investigate this further” asked Li.

“Major Li, I have about lost my patience with this worthless investigation. You have spent two months on this and this is the most you can come up with?”, raged Chin. Chin slowly regained control of himself. “Very well major, you may pursue this lead, but if nothing comes of it I want this matter dropped and I will personally inform the emperor that his sources are less than trustworthy. Do I make myself clear major?”

“Crystal sir”, with that Major Li grabbed his hat and stood. “I assume that I am dismissed?”

“Get out of here major. And next time you come here, don’t waste my time.”

Major Li regarded his superior momentarily, dipped his head and walked out the door.